Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about that one? Which was posted BEFORE I made my comment.

Because "on track" means that if he continues on this pace and ascension over the next several years, he will likely be in the Hall of Fame, which at 5-6 pro bowls and 70-80 career turnovers is very likely true. It's not saying he is the best safety in the game and is playing like a Hall of Famer right now.

If we do not franchise him we are stupid. If we do not franchise anyone, we're even more stupid.

I don't care if we franchise him and tell him to cover kicks all season - I am franchising his ass. I'll let him sit on IR if he fusses, too. It's not personal, it is business and if he doesn't want to contribute to my business then I deal with it at the time in which he shows he is unwilling.

If we release him everyone is talking about getting a comp pick. That's just pathetic. If we address free agency at all this offseason - which is likely - and get an OL, a WR/TE, and maybe an MLB they will offset the comp pick to what would become a likely 5th round pick. That is if Byrd plays at a high level. If he doesn't, well, we get lower.

There is no sense in not tagging Byrd. Tag Byrd and trade him if we must. Let the other team work out a long term deal.

If we do not franchise him we are stupid. If we do not franchise anyone, we're even more stupid.

I don't care if we franchise him and tell him to cover kicks all season - I am franchising his ass. I'll let him sit on IR if he fusses, too. It's not personal, it is business and if he doesn't want to contribute to my business then I deal with it at the time in which he shows he is unwilling.

If we release him everyone is talking about getting a comp pick. That's just pathetic. If we address free agency at all this offseason - which is likely - and get an OL, a WR/TE, and maybe an MLB they will offset the comp pick to what would become a likely 5th round pick. That is if Byrd plays at a high level. If he doesn't, well, we get lower.

There is no sense in not tagging Byrd. Tag Byrd and trade him if we must. Let the other team work out a long term deal.

No only is it stupid not to franchise Byrd, it is even more stupid to leak the fact that you probably won't franchise him, because then any leverage you might have had with a trade partner goes out the window. Why should, say, the Eagles give up a second round pick for Byrd if they know the Bills are not going to franchise him and he will become a UFA on Tuesday?

The article that initiated a lengthy thread spells out that Brandon and Overdorf are in the room negotiating. Where the GM is remains unclear throughout the process.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/02/23/sources-disconnect-youngsters-lifers-bills-organization/

Per Graham: "Overdorf oversees all player contracts. Overdorf, not Whaley, will handle contract negotiations for Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd. Same as last year. Overdorf reports not to Whaley, but to CEO Russ Brandon."

Disagree with Graham all you want. The GM isn't in the room during negotiations, but go on challenging Graham's reporting.

That's a hugely different statement than the GM not being allowed in the room

No only is it stupid not to franchise Byrd, it is even more stupid to leak the fact that you probably won't franchise him, because then any leverage you might have had with a trade partner goes out the window. Why should, say, the Eagles give up a second round pick for Byrd if they know the Bills are not going to franchise him and he will become a UFA on Tuesday?

It is Byrd's camp leaking this.

What would the Bills win leaking it? The Bills know who is calling their phone and who isn't. Byrd and camp do not - although, Parker and crew likely spoke to GM's on the downlow about interest in Byrd and those GM's probably were shy to show interest. Why would they be too anxious for a FS that wants to be paid +$10mm that doesn't possess top end speed and is not the very best in the game in most regards? They likely see a guy who had PF for half a season and look at how ugly this situation is - an a-hole agent and a player who wants $$ and told Parker they were not interested.

I love Byrd, and I still have hope that the Bills extend him. But, I do not think the Bills are letting information out. I think the cork is sealed so far up OBD's spout after the Tim Graham situation that there isn't any leaks coming out. Those leaks that do are carefully crafted. This "leak" is not carefully crafted. It's a burp of the situation.

It seems like it is one small step forward and then at least two steps back with the Bills. How can we continue to lose talent and get nothing in return? This team has been 6-10 or worse over the last five seasons and this is one of the reasons why.

We have lost too many decent players over the years and we are always trying to fix the holes after their departures (on top of the holes that already needed to be filled).

It is Byrd's camp leaking this.

What would the Bills win leaking it? The Bills know who is calling their phone and who isn't. Byrd and camp do not - although, Parker and crew likely spoke to GM's on the downlow about interest in Byrd and those GM's probably were shy to show interest. Why would they be too anxious for a FS that wants to be paid +$10mm that doesn't possess top end speed and is not the very best in the game in most regards? They likely see a guy who had PF for half a season and look at how ugly this situation is - an a-hole agent and a player who wants $$ and told Parker they were not interested.

I love Byrd, and I still have hope that the Bills extend him. But, I do not think the Bills are letting information out. I think the cork is sealed so far up OBD's spout after the Tim Graham situation that there isn't any leaks coming out. Those leaks that do are carefully crafted. This "leak" is not carefully crafted. It's a burp of the situation.

I assumed it was the Bills who leaked it because the same person leaked that the Bills offered $30M guaranteed money. At least that is how I interpreted the report. And how would Byrd's side know if the Bills intend to use the tag or not? Edited by mannc

That's a hugely different statement than the GM not being allowed in the room

I'm sure Whaley could listen in if he wanted. But he's not involved in the negotiations. We can continue arguing semantics, but it doesn't make the situation anything but dysfunctional. The Cap guy reports to the Team president, not the GM.

Because "on track" means that if he continues on this pace and ascension over the next several years, he will likely be in the Hall of Fame, which at 5-6 pro bowls and 70-80 career turnovers is very likely true. It's not saying he is the best safety in the game and is playing like a Hall of Famer right now.

So neither of the people I have quoted to you are showing any indications that Byrd is a potential HOF candidate?

Let's face it, fellas, we're a farm club for just about everyone else in the league. We develop 'em and let them leave. In the process we lose countless draft picks on them and then their replacements. We're spinning our wheels and going nowhere. That's how you reach 14 years of futility.

So offering Byrd $10m a year for 3 years is "letting him leave". Got it.

I'm sure Whaley could listen in if he wanted. But he's not involved in the negotiations. We can continue arguing semantics, but it doesn't make the situation anything but dysfunctional. The Cap guy reports to the Team president, not the GM.

If I'm Doug Whaley I seriously think about resigning. He's clearly not a true GM here. Isn't it embarrassing to have the title of GM when it's not really true?

The truth of this severe dysfunction of the Bills front office is quickly coming to the surface.

How is Byrd not "on track" to being a Hall of Famer?

He could be on track to being a Hall of Famer.

I just think it's a bit early to suggest that he's in the running for the Hall of Fame right now, when he's still got more years to play.