Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bills were 2-3 without Byrd, 3-6 with Byrd starting, and 1-1 with him playing but not starting and getting back into game shape. While it would nice to still have him, the fortunes of the ream do not rest with him.

But I still say tag him and look to trade him, and if that doesn't work, make him play.

Yeah, no such thing as a marquee guard. Evan Mathis, Marshal Yanda, Mike Iupati and Carl Nicks are dominant players, but if you ask casual football fans who they are, I doubt they'd recognize the names. But the same is true for most OL positions.

They are all much better run blockers than Levitre...he is a one trick pony...great pass/screen blocker, average at best run blocker, not worth the money he got...just reality...how many YPC did Chris Johnson average this year behind the most expensive OL ever assembled?

Edited by matter2003

Bottom line everyone seems to be missing.....BYRD Does not want to be a Bill. HE WILL SIGN ELSEWHERE for the same or less. Time to move on.

"Everyone?" I'm pretty sure that has been mentioned in this thread, and going back a year now concerning Byrd, about a million times...There are plenty of Bills fans that have felt this way all along...Myself included... B-)

Maybe it was insinuated that if they tag him his Plantar Fbausgas might act up again?

We don't really know what is happening, but I am confident that the people working for the Bills have considered the options at least as thoroughly as the fans on this bored.

They are all much better run blockers than Levitre...he is a one trick pony...great pass/screen blocker, average at best run blocker, not worth the money he got...just reality...how many YPC did Chris Johnson average this year behind the most expensive OL ever assembled?

If true, that's sad, considering Locker and Fitz were sacked a combined 37 times. Along with the worse YPC average for CJ and the team as a whole.

If he honestly turned down getting 30 mil over 3 years, I'd tag him out of spite.

In the end, with all this money, I'll feel a lot better about losing Byrd if they ditch the strategy of "dust settle" players and make some sort of splash. Use the money you would have paid Byrd to get Manual some help.

Edited by Buffalo13

Absolutely. Levitre is good. He is not elite, but he is a pretty high quality starter. And he's durable. You can't really pin CJ0K's season on Andy, though. The right side of the line was crap. Warmack didn't play like a top 10 pick and Stewart is an average and overpaid RT. Roos and Levitre make are a pretty good left side.

Bottom line everyone seems to be missing.....BYRD Does not want to be a Bill. HE WILL SIGN ELSEWHERE for the same or less. Time to move on.

Sign for less elsewhere??? What on earth is the foundation for this idea?

I'm sure the belief in Byrds camp is the open market is the path to the biggest payday. This isn't some vast conspiracy or diabolical character flaw.

I am sure if Bryd hit free agency and the bills beat all the offers he'd happily keep his locker.

Absolutely. Levitre is good. He is not elite, but he is a pretty high quality starter. And he's durable. You can't really pin CJ0K's season on Andy, though. The right side of the line was crap. Warmack didn't play like a top 10 pick and Stewart is an average and overpaid RT. Roos and Levitre make are a pretty good left side.

If I pay a guard $8M per in FA he better be good enough to anchor a line.

You're right about Warmack too; that's why is never spend huge $$ or a too 10 pick on a guard

What else is there to think when he rejected an offer paying him $30 million over the first 3 years? Let me guess, they really offered him $3 million over the first 3 years...and continue on with the cheap nonsense?

Just look at all of the actual quotes in these reports. Leaks come from somewhere. Everyone knows that. Everyone leaking has an agenda of some sort. Those numbers all indicate that the contract was longer than the 30-3. Those numbers came from the Bills side of the argument. If the contract was 10m per, that would have been the leak. It wasn't.

That said, it doesn't mean they were cheap. It likely was that they didn't think he was worth paying top dollar, and that 8m is closer to what he is worth and what they want to pay him. Some will say that is cheap, some will say it is about right. It's just an opinion of perceived value.

Ultimately, if they offered him one of the best contracts for safeties, THAT would be the story, not "10m per for first three years"

!@#$ Byrd. He doesn't want to be in Buffalo that is all there is to it. Fine, tag his ass and trade, get something for him. I am sick of the org screwing around trying to sign one damn Safety that is NOT a pure game changer. Put the money in Both lines, WR, TE and LB and lets move the hell on.

HOF? I've seen good play but I've missed that...

Then you have not been paying attention, or you're just biased. Byrd is 27 yrs old, and is approximately half-way through his career. In 73 games, he has 22 interceptions and 11 forced fumbles (a statistic most ignore when they state that Byrd is not a "force" at FS like some others in the league). Thus, over his career, Byrd averages almost one turnover every other game. I doubt that any other FS in the league, except perhaps Ed Reed, a first ballot HOFer, can match those numbers.

Edited by mannc

Then you have not been paying attention. Byrd is 27 yrs old, and is approximately half-way through his career. In 73 games, he has 22 interceptions and 11 forced fumbles (a statistic most ignore when they state that Byrd is not a "force" at FS like some others in the league). Thus, over his career, Byrd averages almost one turnover every other game. I doubt that any other FS in the league, except perhaps Ed Reed, a first ballot HOFer, can match those numbers.

Thank you. He is a great player, who can play the run and the pass, can hit hard, and makes turnovers and big plays. He's in the prime of his career.

While I am as frustrated as anyone that Byrd won't sign, I don't think that tagging him is the answer. If there were a trade market for him, I really think that they'd have traded him last year. Teams know that they don't have to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him as the Bills truly have almost no leverage.

It does suck, but I think the best course of action is to let him go in FA and use the money that they'd have spent on Byrd to extend other good young players AND sign a FA that can contribute this year.

No doubt that Byrd is a very good player, but there is really very little the Bills can do to force him to stay (that is, if they want good play for a full season AND to get something for him.

Better to spend this money on player(s) that want to be here and contribute.