Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Let's face it, fellas, we're a farm club for just about everyone else in the league. We develop 'em and let them leave. In the process we lose countless draft picks on them and then their replacements. We're spinning our wheels and going nowhere. That's how you reach 14 years of futility.

Winning changes everything...And yes this is a vicious cycle we are in... B-)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, they will not. Especially in this draft.

I think fans sometimes value draft picks much more than NFL GMs do. You are skeptical that the Bills wouldn't find a team willing to take willing to give the Bills a 3rd or 4th and still on Byrd's contract demands. On the contrary, the Bills (or any other NFL team) would laugh in their face if they expected that we'd only get a 3rd or 4th round compensation to trade away Byrd.

The Bills will either get a low 1st round pick, or a high 2nd round pick for Byrd or a deal doesn't get done. Because obviously Byrd has a team in mind and that team wants him badly. There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes.

IMO, the Browns have a TON of cap space and want Byrd as part of a big offseason splash. Byrd knows they want him and he probably knows his contract would be about 3 million more than the Bills are offering.

What I would hope the Bills are doing is offering to swap #4 with #9 picks for Byrd. The trade value is a high second round pick. This way the Bills are in a real position for Sammy Watkins. The guy they want more than anybody.

Let's face it, fellas, we're a farm club for just about everyone else in the league. We develop 'em and let them leave. In the process we lose countless draft picks on them and then their replacements. We're spinning our wheels and going nowhere. That's how you reach 14 years of futility.

This is depressing if he walks, that 2nd round a few years back where we drafted Byrd and Levitre.....well that was wasted on teams going no where. Groundhog day in Buffalo continues.

Been saying since last year, Byrd just doesn't want to be in Buffalo. It doesn't matter how much money the Bills offer him, he wants out. I am just finding it difficult to blame this on the Bills. You can't negotiate with someone who already has his mind made up... the (apparent) decision not to franchise him is a little puzzling...but perhaps the Bills feel they don't want to take the chance that they will stuck with him another season, paying him a ridiculous amount of money, when he isn't a part of their future.

I personally think it would be Searcy at SS who could excel in Swartz's system as from what I remember plays his SS closer to the line which is basically how Searcy has been used

Leonard is not a SS

ok i stand corrected

Searcy I guess is who the bills are counting on to step up. I like the thought of A. Williams at FS, I think he has pro- bowl talent.

I share your frustration, but Byrd is really a one off.

With most guys--especially the home grown talent--if you pay them fair market value, they stay here. Guys just want to get paid what they should get paid, and whether it's in Buffalo or in Atlanta, it's usually not a significant factor.

In Byrd's case, I think the problem was:

1) Both side's couldn't agree on fair market value. Part of the issue was Byrd was coming into a new defense last year, which supposedly didn't place a high value on safeties. So, the Bills probably undervalued Byrd during last year's negotiation.

2) The franchise tag/prior negotiations seemed to burn Byrd's bridge; seemed like he took it personally.

I think fans sometimes value draft picks much more than NFL GMs do. You are skeptical that the Bills wouldn't find a team willing to take willing to give the Bills a 3rd or 4th and still on Byrd's contract demands. On the contrary, the Bills (or any other NFL team) would laugh in their face if they expected that we'd only get a 3rd or 4th round compensation to trade away Byrd.

The Bills will either get a low 1st round pick, or a high 2nd round pick for Byrd or a deal doesn't get done. Because obviously Byrd has a team in mind and that team wants him badly. There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes.

IMO, the Browns have a TON of cap space and want Byrd as part of a big offseason splash. Byrd knows they want him and he probably knows his contract would be about 3 million more than the Bills are offering.

What I would hope the Bills are doing is offering to swap #4 with #9 picks for Byrd. The trade value is a high second round pick. This way the Bills are in a real position for Sammy Watkins. The guy they want more than anybody.

If Byrd does not want to go to Cleveland, and who in their right mind could blame him for that, this trade scenario is completely dead in the water... B-)

Been saying since last year, Byrd just doesn't want to be in Buffalo. It doesn't matter how much money the Bills offer him, he wants out. I am just finding it difficult to blame this on the Bills. You can't negotiate with someone who already has his mind made up... the (apparent) decision not to franchise him is a little puzzling...but perhaps the Bills feel they don't want to take the chance that they will stuck with him another season, paying him a ridiculous amount of money, when he isn't a part of their future.

Pretty much spot on... :thumbsup:

If Byrd does not want to go to Cleveland, and who in their right mind could blame him for that, this trade scenario is completely dead in the water... B-)

Pretty much spot on... :thumbsup:

If Byrd hits the open market, he'll be an Eagle in the 1st day of UFA

ok i stand corrected

Searcy I guess is who the bills are counting on to step up. I like the thought of A. Williams at FS, I think he has pro- bowl talent.

Marrone has already touched on this...He sounded less than enthusiastic about Searcy starting...They want to keep Searcy in his current role...Next men up are Duke Williams and Meeks...Barring injury Searcy will not be the starter at either Safety position... B-)

Agree 100% on all of this.

The way I see it is we're on the cusp of becoming a winning team. Franchise Byrd again and win 10 games. I bet you anything he'll stay if that were to happen. There's no better town to win in than Buffalo. Losing sucks and he had enough of it. I don't blame Byrd.

If Byrd hits the open market, he'll be an Eagle in the 1st day of UFA

Makes sense...Though I am a bit surprised he would want to stay on the left coast...But still...Up and coming team and a HC he is familiar with... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Not true, unless the team is already SB contender with a young team and very few holes.

WEAKNESS !!! - letting Tyrd walk for nothing is the worst possible outcome.

hey Russ, you just let agent Eugene Parker school you again.

SHOW SOME STONES and tag his azz.

worst case scenario we pay $8.3 mil for half a season.

best case scenario you pick up a draft choice by trading him.

Edited by papazoid

Marrone has already touched on this...He sounded less than enthusiastic about Searcy starting...They want to keep Searcy in his current role...Next men up are Duke Williams and Meeks...Barring injury Searcy will not be the starter at either Safety position... B-)

Yea Marrone is on record as saying Searcy is his ideal dime. I think the Bills probably have their eye on bringing in a veteran FA to compete with Duke Williams and the winner of that competition will get the starters job alongside Aaron Williams who they will majorly rely on to step up and be the leader of the secondary.

The Bills not tagging Byrd is pretty consistent with their organizational philosophy which has led to the 14 years of futility. Goods news is I'll have more free time this fall and will save on Sunday Ticket. I'll still watch the replays and cheer on the uniform but planning my day around the Bills games are over.

Unless they draft Watkins, then I'm all in on the loser express because at least it will be exciting.

If the Bills are thinking about swapping picks with the Browns and they get Byrd and we get the 4th pick there is still a chance that the Raiders might trade up and pick Watkins so it would not be a sure thing the Bills would get Watkins.

I still think the best option for the Bills is to tag Byrd so we something for him. Even if he misses time like he did last year.

hold on to your hat......the best option is for the Bills to go on the offensive in what is going to be a PR battle.

the Bills should announce they offered 5 years, $50 million, with $30 mil Guaranteed, structured with zero dead money in year 4.

let Byrd turn it down, which he will. he covets UFA. then most fans will be upset with Byrd and side with the Bills. franchise tag him, then trade him.

if he accepts, you have an Elite player for 3 years after which you can cut him if need be. it's not the end of the world to overpay by $1.5 mil on an elite player assuming the bills think $8.5 is fair and $10.0 gets it done.

either way, the bills have $10 mil to spend on improving the team. the bigger issue is, will they spend up to the cap limit.

People familiar with the situation told The Associated Press talks have stalled and no further discussions are scheduled after the Bills made a lucrative, multiyear offer to Byrd. Without revealing the full value and length of the offer, one person said Byrd would have been paid about $30 million over the contract's first three seasons.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10541752/buffalo-bills-talks-jairus-byrd-reach-standstill

WEAKNESS !!! - letting Tyrd walk for nothing is the worst possible outcome.

hey Russ, you just let agent Eugene Parker school you again.

SHOW SOME STONES and tag his azz.

worst case scenario we pay $8.3 mil for half a season.

best case scenario you pick up a draft choice by trading him.

I really agree with this. Tag him again and do it the following year ..... what would be that total for 2 years compared to what the Bills were offering. Then tell Eugene good luck getting that huge contract when Byrd is close to 30.

The way I see it is we're on the cusp of becoming a winning team. Franchise Byrd again and win 10 games. I bet you anything he'll stay if that were to happen. There's no better town to win in than Buffalo. Losing sucks and he had enough of it. I don't blame Byrd.

Why do you say that?