Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

I very much doubt they offered him top dollar and he still said no. Their version of top dollar maybe.

The reports are be would be one of the highest paid safeties...how is that not top dollar?

Amazing how fans can still blame the Bills here and not Byrd

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And?

You do know that a kicker has already been tagged this offseason right? By a team that was the #2 seed in the NFC?

Actually, I believe a kicker has been tagged 4 out of the last 5 years.

So again:

And?

When did Greg Hardy start kicking?

Nick Folk from the Jets was tagged, though.

My thoughts exactly. You use every advantage that your given, you don't let a player walk away for nothing.

Exactly...

Even if it turns out that you want to move on and use the money tied up in the tag, you just remove the tag at that time and let him move on...If he's going to leave regardless why not play it all the way out? The Bills don't owe Byrd a thing...His worst nightmare is to spend another season tagged in Buffalo...So why not play that hand and force him to consider teams he may not be as comfortable with than his preferences, but more comfortable with than staying in Buffalo for another year?... B-)

The 3rd or 4th rounder would be no different than the comp pick, though.

No it wouldn't and whatever they do get wouldn't be until next year anyway and would also depend on who Bills sign in free agency

The reports are be would be one of the highest paid safeties...how is that not top dollar?

Amazing how fans can still blame the Bills here and not Byrd

Unless we know the numbers we don't really know whether the Bills or Byrd or no one is to blame. One of the top paid safeties could mean one of the top 2-3-4-5-6-7, etc. There are huge differences in each of those numbers. 10m per in the first three years, again, is easily an 8m per contract, which is an insult considering his age, skill, performance, future and comparative contracts. IF it's 10m per for all five years then he is not playing ball and he would be to blame.

From what I know the Bills can drop the tag at any point up until Byrd signs the tag. Once it's signed, then the Bills are on the hook. Does it still count from day 1 against he cap, not sure either way on that part. So whats the down side of Byrd signing immediately, once he signs it then he is contractually obligated to show up and participate in all off-season events, training camp, etc. So the Bills could keep Byrd dangling till say late June, then pull back the tag after all the other teams have already used up a large chunk of their off season $$ and off seaos ncamps are complete so a team may be more reluctant to give him huge $$.

From everything I can find..unless it's changed...a team can drop the tag...I'm sure there is a deadline, but probably not well into the off season... B-)

I agree with this since we know Byrd wouldn't sign the tag right away so why not tag him and at worst extend the chance of trading him

I believe once tagged the amount counts against the cap regardless of it is signed but Bills have plenty of space so that's not an issue

Blame Byrd all you want, but this is 100% on the Bills. I don't believe for one second you can't at least pull a 3rd or at the worst a 4th rounder for the guy. Something's better than nothing, plus you control where he ends up.

Franchise his ass and get something. We have the power, not Byrd.

Edited by NoJustice

Those numbers, if you are referring to the tweets, are not necessarily top dollar at all.

Well...$30 million over the first 3 years for a Safety that will be 30 when those 3 years are up is pretty darn close to top dollar...No question the final years could be less...But who is going to want to pay Byrd $10 million per year when he's 31 anyway? B-)

I don't know that blame belongs anywhere. If these reports are true, then the only blame I place is on the Bills. The CBA offers them the right to keep Byrd at a reasonable salary. Why they won't do this is beyond my powers of comprehension.

I was referring to Byrd declining the deal

I completely agree that they should still tag him no matter what

Blame Byrd all you want, but this is 100% on the Bills. I don't believe for one second you can't at least pull a 3rd or at the worst 4th rounder for the guy. Something's better than nothing, plus you control where he ends up.

Yeah. Teams are lining up to give up a potential starting draft picks for a $10 mil safety.

From what I know the Bills can drop the tag at any point up until Byrd signs the tag. Once it's signed, then the Bills are on the hook. Does it still count from day 1 against he cap, not sure either way on that part. So whats the down side of Byrd signing immediately, once he signs it then he is contractually obligated to show up and participate in all off-season events, training camp, etc. So the Bills could keep Byrd dangling till say late June, then pull back the tag after all the other teams have already used up a large chunk of their off season $$ and off season camps are complete so a team may be more reluctant to give him huge $$.

That would be a major douche-bag move on the Bills part...However I'm fully in favor of it... ;)

This is what i based my opinion upon .

Thanks 26 !

That is what I did, too. We don't know what the contract was after the three. Again, I am not sticking up for the Bills or Byrd. But it wouldn't be top 4 safety overall if the last couple years were 4m in salary, which is entirely possible.