Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Blame Byrd all you want, but this is 100% on the Bills. I don't believe for one second you can't at least pull a 3rd or at the worst a 4th rounder for the guy. Something's better than nothing, plus you control where he ends up.

Franchise his ass and get something. We have the power, not Byrd.

It has to be a team Byrd is willing to sign with long-term...That's the catch here...Some teams are immediately removed because of Cap issues...Others because they don't need a FS...The list gets small fast... B-)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well...$30 million over the first 3 years for a Safety that will be 30 when those 3 years are up is pretty darn close to top dollar...No question the final years could be less...But who is going to want to pay Byrd $10 million per year when he's 31 anyway? B-)

That's not the point at all. The Bills would be paying him 4m per the last two years, not 10.

Wait just one cotton pickin minute there sonny...that comp pick that the Bills are using this draft as compensation for losing Levitre will turn into an instant starter!

What?

Oh, never mind.

Rubbing salt in that wound. While you're at it, please let me know when we get our comp pick for losing future hall of famer, Chaz Rinehart.

I very much doubt they offered him top dollar and he still said no. Their version of top dollar maybe. But even so, disregard that, they still could trade him. Even if it isn't going well on that front now. He's not going to sign the tender until the last minute. You drop it late in the game if you dont want to force him to like last year. You keep him another year if he does, and you try to trade him. Teams needs change all the time.

Call Whaley.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah. Teams are lining up to give up a potential starting draft picks for a $10 mil safety.

If they like him that much that they're willing to give him $10 mill a year then yes. They would easily part with a 3rd or a 4th.

That's not the point at all. The Bills would be paying him 4m per the last two years, not 10.

I understand that and I'm guessing you're just assuming the $4 mil right?

And yes it is the point...The point being even if it was $10 mil per year if the guaranteed money is mostly gone he's never going to see the end of that deal...

$30 million over the 1st three is still impressive, and beyond that Byrd and his agent know damned well he's going to be on the other side of 30 and prime picking for a team that needs Cap relief...So it may matter to Byrd as far as the overall number...But if most of the guaranteed money is in the first three years that's what really matters... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

The point is the 1st three are still impressive, and beyond that Byrd and his agent know damned well he's going to be on the other side of 30 and prime picking for a team that needs Cap relief...So it may matter to Byrd as far as the overall number...But if most of the guaranteed money is in the first three years that's what really matters... B-)

Add to that most players don't make it to the end of their contract anyways especially ones going over the age of 30.

If they like him that much that they're willing to give him $10 mill a year then yes. They would easily part with a 3rd or a 4th.

Any examples of a team willing to pay a safety 10 mil a year and give up a pick to do so?

That list is small

I still think they should tag him if for nothing else to keep their options open because we all know he won't sign the tag until he absolutely has to

If they like him that much that they're willing to give him $10 mill a year then yes. They would easily part with a 3rd or a 4th

No, they will not. Especially in this draft. Playing 10 mill/yr may be easier now with the new cap for some teams who couldn't afford him before. But give up a potential starter as well, which is what a 3-4th rd pick would be in this draft? Not a chance.

Tagging sounds good, but it is still a very high salary and they are essentially renting him for a year since a trade will be unlikely. He would be gone after that, who knows what PF would flare up, how much of a leader he would be, etc. You also miss out on that time to get his eventual replacement the experience. It is a tough spot for all involved. I don't fault the Bills nor do I fault Byrd really, as YOLO :flirt: and he wants to play elsewhere.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I`d say they already have a team to go to. Around the same money ...but a winning team. Yeah I know,you can`t talk to Byrd and his hot shot agent,till free agency starts,but it happens. Seeya Byrd...you weren`t a game changer to me. Not worth the money.

And yes it is the point...The point being even if it was $10 mil per year if the guaranteed money is mostly gone he's never going to see the end of that deal...

$30 million over the 1st three is still impressive, and beyond that Byrd and his agent know damned well he's going to be on the other side of 30 and prime picking for a team that needs Cap relief...So it may matter to Byrd as far as the overall number...But if most of the guaranteed money is in the first three years that's what really matters... B-)

Yes I am just making up the 4m but that is the way a lot of these are done as you know. My problem has always been the definition of top dollar, which fans and writers, as well as agents, teams and players use. They wildly fluctuate. Top guaranteed is different than top per year and top overall and top in first three years, etc. Parker and Byrd, rightfully so IMO although I see the other side, want the top two of all of those because that is what he is worth and that is what another team is willing to pay.

It's the same thing as the Jason Peters situation. He was worth 10m because other teams would pay that and one did PLUS a #1. The Bills offered him 8-9.

Byrd wants top 2-3 in guaranteed, in signing bonus and in total dollars over 4-5 years. I would bet anything that is the case. Just because the Bills offered 10m in first 3 years does not at all mean that, to me. It actually means whomever leaked that info was trying to make it seem bigger (granted, it's substantial, just not necessarily enough overall)

I think the safest bet in this whole thing is that when it's all said and done, and this whole thing plays out...Jairus Byrd will not be a very popular person in WNY... ;)

Yes I am just making up the 4m but that is the way a lot of these are done as you know. My problem has always been the definition of top dollar, which fans and writers, as well as agents, teams and players use. They wildly fluctuate. Top guaranteed is different than top per year and top overall and top in first three years, etc. Parker and Byrd, rightfully so IMO although I see the other side, want the top two of all of those because that is what he is worth and that is what another team is willing to pay.

It's the same thing as the Jason Peters situation. He was worth 10m because other teams would pay that and one did PLUS a #1. The Bills offered him 8-9.

Byrd wants top 2-3 in guaranteed, in signing bonus and in total dollars over 4-5 years. I would bet anything that is the case. Just because the Bills offered 10m in first 3 years does not at all mean that, to me. It actually means whomever leaked that info was trying to make it seem bigger (granted, it's substantial, just not necessarily enough overall)

Fair enough...we'll see if we ever get the figure on those last years...

I still say that reality is what it is...Byrd and his Agent may want to look good in the total dollars area and all that...But in the end I think he'll get a similar deal to this one, and he'll be cut after the first 3 years anyway... B-)

Let's face it, fellas, we're a farm club for just about everyone else in the league. We develop 'em and let them leave. In the process we lose countless draft picks on them and then their replacements. We're spinning our wheels and going nowhere. That's how you reach 14 years of futility.

I dont get how you would offer him 30 million for the first 3 years(10 million per year avg) but wont tag him again for 8.4.

My guess is...right or wrong...they're just tired of dealing with it, and they want to move on... B-)

I've suspected all along that franchising him was our only glimmer of a chance of keeping him another year and even then he may just have sat the year out. I don't really think this was about money. If they'd made an offer to blow him out of the water maybe he'd have stayed I don't know. I think this is about him not believing that the Bills can win and him wanting to win (quite possibly in a more glamorous "big market").

I wonder whether this means the Bills might tag someone else? They wouldn't tag Chandler I wouldn't think (it's way above his worth for me)... but maybe they will do a Jets and franchise the kicker?