Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is scenerio. Parket lets it be known if you tag him two things will happen , we will tell any team that trades for him that we are not signing a deal, second if you tag him there is not guarentee he will play before week 8. From the Bills prospective they can't go all offseason with a gapping hole in the secondary. A williams is solid and maybe on his ways to big things but Duke is untested. They are going to have to go out and spend 3-5 million on a safety in free agency . So they risk the chance of have to high paid safties

Lets not forget that the Bills' secondary seemed to be just fine without Byrd those first few weeks. Byrd's presence definitely helped, but it didn't result in the team turning the corner by any means.

Unless Decker goes to New England, Green Bay or New Orleans, and he won't, I would be surprised if he looks half as good as he did this year. Peyton made that man.

And the fact that the Broncos have a true #1 in D. Thomas, one of the best young TE's in J. Thomas, and arguably the best slot WR in Welker... B-)

Well...Here's a hypothetical...Byrd turns down a massive deal from the Bills averaging more than $9 million per year...The Bills are 100% convinced Byrd no longer want to be in Buffalo and renting him for another year is futile...The Bills immediately look for potential trade partners...They find a couple teams that would be willing to give up at least a 2nd round pick...But when they go back to Byrd he flatly refuses to sign with those teams long term...And the teams that he wants to sign with are unwilling to give up a Draft pick for him...Those teams are concerned because they know he's already turning down a massive offer from the Bills and they don't want to give up a high Draft pick for the right to pay Byrd premium cash...

In the end I would not be at all surprised to see Byrd take a Cliff Avril-type deal with a contender...I think he simply wants out of Buffalo and wants to play where he wants to play... B-)

Very good synopsis.

That assumes we don't really sign any other decent FA's. If we do sign a good FA or 2, we'll probably get a 7th rounder or nothing for losing Byrd.

True enough, but I thought the word was we were waiting for the FA leftovers.

Well if the Bills made him a big offer to stay and he didn't want it its clear to me now that Byrd doe not want to be here anymore.

I'm ok with this. Maybe if the Bills would have taken care of him last year we would not be having this discussion.

It's not like we didnt have to cap room either.

Same ole Bills .

Lets not forget that the Bills' secondary seemed to be just fine without Byrd those first few weeks. Byrd's presence definitely helped, but it didn't result in the team turning the corner by any means.

good point. but jim L is not going to cut it and is an FA too. He wants to finish up in his home town.

So Meeks And D williams will need to perform. especially Duke. I am fine with that , for now .

Exactly...They were 2-3 without Byrd...And 4-7 with him...They did average giving up 3 points less with Byrd, but that stat is a bit skewed due to the Miami shutout...Take out the Miami shutout and the points per game are basically the same...I know the Bills are a better Defense with Byrd...But are they $9 mil per year better?...No... B-)

good point. but jim L is not going to cut it and is an FA too. He wants to finish up in his home town.

So Meeks And D williams will need to perform. especially Duke. I am fine with that , for now .

We can find someone better than Jimmy L in free agency for maybe a little more as insurance. Delmas, Clemons, Pollard, Jenkins, Michell...

Edited by Big C

'

Really? I'm wrong? Then you tell me who is lining up to trade for him.

There's a reason the Safety position has the second lowest tag number just about punters and kickers. Byrds a great safety, spending $10M or more per year on a safety is just stupid and that's why the vast majority of other teams in the NFL don't do it.

You might want to read this:

http://www.wgr550.co...o-Byrd/18497449

I'm sure it's been said, but, if the reports are true stop throwing around 10M figures. It would cost the Bills $8.3M, I believe, to keep Byrd or trade him. To me that's 8.3M well spent. Tag him then either trade or play him. If he's hurt that's too bad.

We can find someone better than Jimmy L in free agency for maybe a little more as insurance. Delmas, Clemons, Pollard, Jenkins, Michell...

I would think so , but we have two holes to consider. I dont think Buffalo is going to spend much on a Free agent safety at this point.

But with one year of starter EXP back there its probably wise to bring in a vet ?

Exactly...They were 2-3 without Byrd...And 4-7 with him...They did average giving up 3 points less with Byrd, but that stat is a bit skewed due to the Miami shutout...Take out the Miami shutout and the points per game are basically the same...I know the Bills are a better Defense with Byrd...But are they $9 mil per year better?...No... B-)

The transition will be seamless. Now when our cover-1 safety is late getting over, we'll all lament how Byrd would have gotten there all the while forgetting that he's been late more than his share of times as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I would think so , but we have two holes to consider. I dont think Buffalo is going to spend much on a Free agent safety at this point.

But with one year of starter EXP back there its probably wise to bring in a vet ?

I don't think any of those names will command a lot of cash. And with the savings on not signing Byrd, there's no reason not to get that insurance.

are the Bills saying they like Aaron Williams at FS and Leonhard at SS now?

I personally think it would be Searcy at SS who could excel in Swartz's system as from what I remember plays his SS closer to the line which is basically how Searcy has been used

Leonard is not a SS

Edited by Max997

Can't teams just drop the tag whenever they want to before the guy signs it? I'm not sure I believe the Joe B story. There seems to be no reason not to explore this for awhile and see what happens.

There's a reason I can think of: they offered Byrd top dollar and he still said no. There's no place to go from there if Byrd is that committed to letting the market determine his value.

GO BILLS!!!

Can't teams just drop the tag whenever they want to before the guy signs it? I'm not sure I believe the Joe B story. There seems to be no reason not to explore this for awhile and see what happens.

I was just going to ask/post this question. I thought they could remove the tag up to a certain point. If so, I'd tag him and look to trade him, and if that doesn't work, considering dropping the tag or just play him.