Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Apparently $10M per year isn't enough for Byrd. If the Bills give him that much money they're idiots.

Kevin Connors ‏@kevconnorsespn 12m

The #Bills offered a multi-year contract that would have paid Byrd about $30-Mill over the first 3 seasons.

Kevin Massare ‏@KevinMassare 7m

Like I reported a week plus ago, Byrd is offered 10 mil a year, way past my north of 9. Glad my source came through. Byrd is killing us.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't teams just drop the tag whenever they want to before the guy signs it? I'm not sure I believe the Joe B story. There seems to be no reason not to explore this for awhile and see what happens.

From everything I can find..unless it's changed...a team can drop the tag...I'm sure there is a deadline, but probably not well into the off season... B-)

I was just going to ask/post this question. I thought they could remove the tag up to a certain point. If so, I'd tag him and look to trade him, and if that doesn't work, considering dropping the tag or just play him.

I agree with this since we know Byrd wouldn't sign the tag right away so why not tag him and at worst extend the chance of trading him

I believe once tagged the amount counts against the cap regardless of it is signed but Bills have plenty of space so that's not an issue

Edited by Max997

There's a reason I can think of: they offered Byrd top dollar and he still said no. There's no place to go from there if Byrd is that committed to letting the market determine his value.

GO BILLS!!!

I very much doubt they offered him top dollar and he still said no. Their version of top dollar maybe. But even so, disregard that, they still could trade him. Even if it isn't going well on that front now. He's not going to sign the tender until the last minute. You drop it late in the game if you dont want to force him to like last year. You keep him another year if he does, and you try to trade him. Teams needs change all the time.

Getting nothing for Byrd will just leave yet another hole to fill. Absolutely ridiculous that that they don't tag him if they can (as many here are saying) later drop the tag if he doesn't sign it. I'm sure there's someone out there that he'd like to play for, who will pony up decent money to sign him long term and who'd be willing to give up at least a 3rd round pick to get him, but that may just be me. If I was Whaley, I'd take that chance....

What's even worse than losing a great player in Jairus Byrd is the message sent to present and future free agents of the Buffaol Bills and that message is you can have your way. That's not a good message to send.

Well, they are consistent.

Apparently $10M per year isn't enough for Byrd. If the Bills give him that much money they're idiots.

Kevin Connors ‏@kevconnorsespn 12m

The #Bills offered a multi-year contract that would have paid Byrd about $30-Mill over the first 3 seasons.

Kevin Massare ‏@KevinMassare 7m

Like I reported a week plus ago, Byrd is offered 10 mil a year, way past my north of 9. Glad my source came through. Byrd is killing us.

If it's a 5 year deal and the last two years are 4$ m salary and they gave him a huge signing bonus, because that is what he wants, it's an 8m a year contract they would think is an insult.

I very much doubt they offered him top dollar and he still said no. Their version of top dollar maybe. But even so, disregard that, they still could trade him. Even if it isn't going well on that front now. He's not going to sign the tender until the last minute. You drop it late in the game if you dont want to force him to like last year. You keep him another year if he does, and you try to trade him. Teams needs change all the time.

It looks like they offered him top dollar at this point.

seems he wants to be gone. I think the negotiation stage is over. But Monday we shall see I suppose

Watch, they will tag the kicker.

As good as Carpenter was that would make zero sense with Hopkins still on the roster unless of course Hopkins injury is chronic...Which is hard to imagine for a kid his age... B-)

There are many reasons to tag - not the least of which it sends a message to the Eugene Parkers of the world in future negotiations.

We have the cap space. It gives us time to find or groom a replacement. We can try to trade him and get something in return. Also, I believe we can even rescind the tag before he signs it. Last year, he waited until the last moment to sign the tag. If he did that again, and we rescinded the tag late in the game, he risks that teams to don't have the cap space at that time.

We have some leverage. Why we would not use it is beyond me.

Just my two cents.

My thoughts exactly. You use every advantage that your given, you don't let a player walk away for nothing.

Maybe now fans will start assigning blame to where it belongs and that's with Byrd and Parker

I don't know that blame belongs anywhere. If these reports are true, then the only blame I place is on the Bills. The CBA offers them the right to keep Byrd at a reasonable salary. Why they won't do this is beyond my powers of comprehension.

He's a kicker.

And?

You do know that a kicker has already been tagged this offseason right? By a team that was the #2 seed in the NFC?

Actually, I believe a kicker has been tagged 4 out of the last 5 years.

So again:

And?

If it's a 5 year deal and the last two years are 4$ m salary and they gave him a huge signing bonus, because that is what he wants, it's an 8m a year contract they would think is an insult.

Maybe so but $10M for a safety in any year is idiocy. He's a safety! Not a CB, not a WR, not a LT. He's a safety, one of the least important positions on a team.

I don't get why you wouldn't still tag him.

The comp pick for letting him go is worthless.

Wait just one cotton pickin minute there sonny...that comp pick that the Bills are using this draft as compensation for losing Levitre will turn into an instant starter!

What?

Oh, never mind.