Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

So neither of the people I have quoted to you are showing any indications that Byrd is a potential HOF candidate?

I'm saying that neither of them said he is a Hall of Famer, as you implied about we're not talking about a Hall of Famer here. They were saying, if I can speak for them about being "on track," and about the future, and that if the Bills sign him, and keep him for 5-6 more years, AND he continues with this pace and improvement, after his 10 year career his numbers will match Hall of Famers and will likely get in.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I'm Doug Whaley I seriously think about resigning. He's clearly not a true GM here. Isn't it embarrassing to have the title of GM when it's not really true?

The truth of this severe dysfunction of the Bills front office is quickly coming to the surface.

Actually, from what I am hearing, Whaley is going to have more say than his recent predecessors. But it's LONG been stupid that Overdorf and Littman negotiate the contracts.

I assumed it was the Bills who leaked it because the same person leaked that the Bills offered $30M guaranteed money. At least that is how I interpreted the report. And how would Byrd's side know if the Bills intend to use the tag or not?

The source doesn't have to know. He just has to "know."

I hope the Bills learn the most important lesson here. Never ever draft another player represented by Parker

Amen.

It's not even as "every circumstance is different"

Its Parker's M.O. with every team.

Actually, from what I am hearing, Whaley is going to have more say than his recent predecessors. But it's LONG been stupid that Overdorf and Littman negotiate the contracts.

Well wouldn't this a test case then? There's no way that Whaley is in favor of letting Byrd walk away for nothing.

I'm saying that neither of them said he is a Hall of Famer, as you implied about we're not talking about a Hall of Famer here. They were saying, if I can speak for them about being "on track," and about the future, and that if the Bills sign him, and keep him for 5-6 more years, AND he continues with this pace and improvement, after his 10 year career his numbers will match Hall of Famers and will likely get in.

And my point about "Not giving him that bust in Canton, yet", was to indicate that I personally would not put him in the Hall of Fame discussion, because I think it's too early for that.

Well wouldn't this a test case then? There's no way that Whaley is in favor of letting Byrd walk away for nothing.

I really don't know. I find it very hard to believe they will not tag him.

The GM on the Bills, the football guy, has his say in how much he believes that player is worth. Whaley wants to be more involved in the negotiations than Nix did or Brandon did or Marv or whomever. On most teams there is a capologist, but the GM is usually negotiating the deals and deciding ultimately how much these guys are worth and how much we will pay them and at what time we will pay them what. That is what Overdorf and Littman do on the Bills but it's stupid, because they are really not football guys. They know the cap and the teams expenses and all of that, but they can't tell you IMO if Byrd is worth 9m or 10m.

And my point about "Not giving him that bust in Canton, yet", was to indicate that I personally would not put him in the Hall of Fame discussion, because I think it's too early for that.

So are they.

Also, Whaley's the guy who said they'd tag him if they had to, right?

I think that he did say that very recently. So if Byrd walks away for nothing then Whaley is either going to lie, tell the truth and get fired or he'll resign to maintain his dignity. Way to go Bills organization!

I don't see any other scenarios.

If he isn't tagged then Whaley needs to go. This BS of the Bills checking the trade market and there not being anything worth it there is pure BS. I would rather get a 5th rounder than just let him walk. Now unless Whaley has some stuff lined up we don't know about, he better get to tagging Byrd and do so ASAP

I really don't know. I find it very hard to believe they will not tag him.

The GM on the Bills, the football guy, has his say in how much he believes that player is worth. Whaley wants to be more involved in the negotiations than Nix did or Brandon did or Marv or whomever. On most teams there is a capologist, but the GM is usually negotiating the deals and deciding ultimately how much these guys are worth and how much we will pay them and at what time we will pay them what. That is what Overdorf and Littman do on the Bills but it's stupid, because they are really not football guys. They know the cap and the teams expenses and all of that, but they can't tell you IMO if Byrd is worth 9m or 10m.

So are they.

So are they, what?

This is the **** that happens when you don't pay guys early. Byrd should have been paid big money a long time ago. What a nightmare. Hopefully Whaley caves and gives them whatever he wants short of a release. If Byrd won't sign no matter how much they offer you still have to be punitive and tag him. Then you have to try and trade him to get something in return. Move him to San Francisco for their late first round pick would be fine but I doubt anybody offers anything more than a high second round pick.

I do think we need to be careful with this $30 million over the first three years of the contract thing. We do not know if it is true, and even if true or patly true, whether the full amount was guaranteed or the number of overall years or dollar amount. Seems like a leak from the Bills to try to claim that we were not cheap and did everything they could do to keep Byrd.

So are they, what?

No one on this board said that if Byrd retired today, he would go into the HOF. All I said was that if he continues at his current level of production through the remainder of his career, he likely will be (or should be) elected to the Hall of Fame. Do you disagree with that statement?

This guy has posted some news in the past not sure how credible he is.

Damond Talbot (@drocksthaparty) tweeted at 3:22pm - 2 Mar 14:

@ByTimGraham I was told by a very good source Byrd was made a 5 year deal worth over 50 but he does not want to be a Bill (https://twitter.com/...220584203812864)

5 years and over $50m? No, he doesn't want to be a Bill. Not in the least. Given that, you don't franchise the guy.

Like I predicted, no amount would get Byrd to sign in Buffalo.

Good luck, Jairus.

GO BILLS!!!