Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

I can't help but think this has been their plan all along. They knew D. Williams and Meeks wouldn't be ready last year so they played hardball. This year they HOPE those guys are ready.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Byrd, Whitner, Greer, and Poz. That's one hell of a backfield that the Bills have let walk away just in the past 5 years. This is amazing to me.

LOL, people couldn't wait to get rid of those two.

it didnt materialize last year after being tagged though...

If the reports were true, it materialized in the form of a 4th round offer from the Vikings. That was the best anyone would do. Both the Bills and Parker were free to pursue deals the entire time last year, too. And that 4th was the best anyone was willing to give up in all that time frame. While there is a team out there to give Byrd the dollars he's looking for, I doubt he will engender some mad bidding war for his services.

GO BILLS!!!

That is, of course, your opinion.

It is, though based on the state this team finds itself in. 5 straight seasons with double digit losses and a distinct inability to keep their better talent despite plenty of cap room. This, and now dysfunction in the front office as reported last week.

Theory: Bills offer slightly under what Park and Byrd are willing to accept in terms of guaranteed money; he rejects. They leak to press Sunday to pressure Parker and Byrd. They come up tomorrow. If he doesn't sign, they franchise. Still think they find a way to get this done and or get something for him. Delusional, perhaps. I don't, however, think we've seen the last volley.

The offer was said to be 5 years over $50 million...if its true Byrd can go to hell..tag his ass then if he pulls that plantar fascitis crap, IR him and tell both Parker and Byrd to go F themselves, then never draft another player represented by Parker

I still dont understand why the Bills wouldn't tag Byrd this year.

Why let him walk for nothing?

CBF

The only reason you don't tag/trade him is because you don't plan to sign anyone. Meaning the compensation pick is equal to or greater than what we could yield in a trade. It sounds like we're not going to make a push this year in FA.

Is it really?

indeed. Poz deserved a Pro Bowl nod last year. He had a great year. The cost to have resigned them all would have been worthwhile as well. We wasted money in Kelsay, Mark Anderson, Nick Barnett, and a few other backup guys we had no businesses with

Poz would have been the ideal MLB last season. Whitner a valuable asset on run support. Greer a depth player/possibly starter due to injury.

indeed. Poz deserved a Pro Bowl nod last year. He had a great year. The cost to have resigned them all would have been worthwhile as well. We wasted money in Kelsay, Mark Anderson, Nick Barnett, and a few other backup guys we had no businesses with

Poz would have been the ideal MLB last season. Whitner a valuable asset on run support. Greer a depth player/possibly starter due to injury.

Everyone is conveniently forgetting that Poz CHOSE to go to the Jags vs. letting the Bills match it, which they offered to do. He was more comfortable in the 43 vs. 34. Can't blame him for that.

That said, he was adequate and nothing more in my opinion.

GO BILLS!!!

I will agree that they spent money on the wrong players, but to say they are "cheap" when there are routinely 15-16 teams or more each year that are paying less "real" money to players than the Bills is silliness.

Byrd, Whitner, Greer, and Poz. That's one hell of a backfield that the Bills have let walk away just in the past 5 years. This is amazing to me.

I'd say it's a mediocre one...we don't really have to speculate, as they all played here together, and were, in fact, quite mediocre.

Now, I'd love if we could keep Byrd, and I really wanted Greer over McGee. Poz and Whitner? Meh.

Everyone is conveniently forgetting that Poz CHOSE to go to the Jags vs. letting the Bills match it, which they offered to do. He was more comfortable in the 43 vs. 34. Can't blame him for that.

That said, he was adequate and nothing more in my opinion.

GO BILLS!!!

bad coaching and leadership was a lot to do with Poz.The guy is a solid LB. The scheme and FO dropped the ball on him

The only reason you don't tag/trade him is because you don't plan to sign anyone. Meaning the compensation pick is equal to or greater than what we could yield in a trade. It sounds like we're not going to make a push this year in FA.

I agree they should tag him...I think their reasoning is more along the lines of "just move on" than it is scheming for a compensatory pick.

I will agree that they spent money on the wrong players, but to say they are "cheap" when there are routinely 15-16 teams or more each year that are paying less "real" money to players than the Bills is silliness.

ask any player drafted by the Bills that left. We are cheap. We treat our own poorly. We bring in overpriced free agents and pay them too much

What do you think someone like Bryan Scott would say about Kelsey?

ask any player drafted by the Bills that left. We are cheap. We treat our own poorly. We bring in overpriced free agents and pay them too much

What do you think someone like Bryan Scott would say about Kelsey?

I'm confused by this ^

You say in one sentence that the team pays FAs too much but don't pay their own, and in the next sentence you mention a guy (Kelsay) that was drafted by the Bills and given two massive contract extensions that were widely panned as over-paying.

I'm sure you're making a salient point; I'm just not following is all...

I believe it is because they have already vetted out trade possibilities, and they are not there. A team would be stupid to trade anything for a guy on a one-year deal, especially in this draft. if there is a team that stupid, like the Bowns, he has to be open to signing with them long term or you are renting a guy for year AND giving up a draft pick. It is very likely he has a short list of teams he is open to going to at this point in his career. That list becomes shorter based on who has the cap room for a 10 mill/yr FS. Then it becomes likely non-existent when none of those are open to a trade. A lot of this vetting has probably already taken place at the combine.

You can say out of spite that the Bills should tag him again for being a DB (and I don't mean defensive back). But I don't think he is being one, and that is a poor look for the franchise to treat a guy that way anyway when they want to atrract future players to the team. The tag is not something that is used very often, especially for rebuilding teams. They already used it once. Using it twice is not a wise move to me, when they can use his salary in other places and he is, shickingly, not irrreplaceable, IMO. it would not be smart to pay him almost 9 mill for one year when it seems clear he doesn't want to play here and will not contribute to the health of the team from a leadership perspective. For a young team, I belive that means a lot. The Redskins are doing the same thing witn Orakpo and the fans are up in arms they should "tag and trade." Easier said than done. The teams need to move on with their FA and draft plan.

bad coaching and leadership was a lot to do with Poz.The guy is a solid LB. The scheme and FO dropped the ball on him

Maybe so just so long as everyone is clear that the Bills offered to match the Jags' offer and Poz chose to go.

We can disagree on how good he is. Like I said, he's adequate, imo. But nothing special.

GO BILLS!!!

Whitner and Poz are not players I even batted an eyelash about, seeing as everyone thought they were trash while they were. I don't get the crying about those guys.

First we hear Whaley say we will pursue all of our options when it comes to Jairus Byrd. Then we hear talks are going "pleasantly". And now we hear the Bills won't tag Byrd and he has rejected an excellent offer.

It's funny how we all believe the third report the most. We know this team. This is their M.O. This is why we suck.

did someone say "charade"......(laffin)