My Thoughts Got Blown Up......

With regards to this I think, and I don't have proof really, that Lewis isn't going through his progressions very fast. I can only assume Woods is #2 maybe #3 option on most pass plays. I think Lewis isn't getting to that read and waits too long for his #1 option to get open. Hence him holding onto the ball too long and taking lots of sacks.

Whereas in contrast EJ goes through his progressions, maybe too fast sometimes not letting his #1 option get open, and finds Woods.

You are absolutely correct here...Lewis really struggles to get past his first read and teams are taking advantage of it by sending lots of pressure, under which he is folding.

One of EJ's strong points is that he's been better than expected at getting through his progressions and getting the ball out quickly. He still needs a fair amount of work in that area, but he's further along than I think most of us hoped he'd be in that regard.

The problem with Woods is the QB! Lewis has missed him on multiple occasions due to his accuracy. In yesterday's game, in the first half, Woods came free across the field, had Lewis been able to connect with him the Bills would have had a TD instead of a FG.

Here are some thoughts I've been pondering. If Teddy Bridgewater is sitting there when it's the Bills time to pick in next years draft, do they take him? Will the Bills trade Jairus Byrd or do they see that he is a compliment on this defense? Do the Bills sit Spiller out another game to rest his ankle? Why didn't the Bills move the pocket for Lewis when they saw the pressure he was getting up the middle? Why don't other QBs take a page from the Brees/Rodgers play book and move around in the pocket or roll out to extend the time to make downfield passes. That TD to Stills was due to Brees rolling away from the pressure and finding Stills 1 on 1 with a DB and gave him an opportunity to make a play.

I don't think the Bridgewater scenario is realistic...he's probably a top 5 pick, and we won't be picking there.

Yes, I think we'll trade Byrd if we can't work out a deal

Lewis' accuracy on the run has been mostly spotty, so I think their hesitant to do too much with him throwing on the run

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle Williams played like a Pro Bowler yesterday.

I think it came down to 2 plays: obviously the INT at the end of the half, which wipes 7 off the board; and the D-holding call on a 3rd down that would've forced a punt, and the Saints go on to score again. Take those 14 points away, and the game is a coin toss, though the Saints still probably win. Point is, they were didn't look that over-matched even with Thad at the wheel (there's another 14 points related to his TOs).

I think this is a good assessment and truly indicative of how a final score doesn't always indicate how close the game really was. Brees was the difference.

GO BILLS!!!

All in all, saints are a much more talented and experienced team, but we are a much better team than last year, even given the injuries. The team is gutsy and will take its lumps this year especially from teams like the saints. That being said I'm still going to pull for six to eight wins. The playoffs will be ours next year.

No they aren't, but for the most important position on the field -- QB. Otherwise, the Bills are just as talented top to bottom. We were playing with a 3rd string QB for crying out loud, and without our most explosive weapon.

I watched this game with two well-versed Saints fans -- they were worried during the 2nd quarter, and even after the Bills scored to make it 28-17. They both told me this is all about Brees, and that the Saints just find ways to win at home. Both were impressed with how the Bills played and commented about how a couple of key plays made the difference.

The rest of the world doesn't view the Bills as negatively as most on this board. I know your post wasn't negative, but I'm tired of reading how the Bills aren't talented. They are, and it's showing itself each week.

Let me assist you this week, Bill.

"Your rain falls like crazy fingers

Peals of fragile thunder keeping time

Recall the days that still are to come some sing blue.

Hang your heart on laughing willow stray

Down to the water, deep sea of love

beneath the sweet calm face of the sea swift undertow."

"Life may be sweeter for this, I don't know,

See how it feels in the end.

May Lady Lullaby sing plainly for you soft, strong, sweet and true.

Cloud hands reaching from a rainbow tapping at the window, touch your hair

So swift and bright strange figures of light float in air."

You are absolutely correct here...Lewis really struggles to get past his first read and teams are taking advantage of it by sending lots of pressure, under which he is folding.

There was a reason he has been a practice squad level player his entire career even with that cannon arm he has.

There was a reason he has been a practice squad level player his entire career even with that cannon arm he has.

Sure, I get that.

Just too bad; he's a tough kid with a great arm and attitude. I wish he were good enough to win a few games for this team while EJ is out; unfortunately he's not.

Agreed...while Thad has an impressive arm sometimes, I think he struggles making quick decisions. His inexperience shows.

We just have to realize what we have in Lewis. He's a practice squad QB for a reason. The choice was made because he had the best grasp of our O. His inexperience shows every game. I will say he's a fighter but the cupboard is bare beyond Thad so this is what we got. Don't expect the second coming of Christ when EJ gets back either. He's still incredibly green. I have to say I've enjoyed watching this years crop battle. That is what we as Bills fans get as a consolation prize more fight and no quit. Its not enough.

No they aren't, but for the most important position on the field -- QB. Otherwise, the Bills are just as talented top to bottom. We were playing with a 3rd string QB for crying out loud, and without our most explosive weapon.

I watched this game with two well-versed Saints fans -- they were worried during the 2nd quarter, and even after the Bills scored to make it 28-17. They both told me this is all about Brees, and that the Saints just find ways to win at home. Both were impressed with how the Bills played and commented about how a couple of key plays made the difference.

The rest of the world doesn't view the Bills as negatively as most on this board. I know your post wasn't negative, but I'm tired of reading how the Bills aren't talented. They are, and it's showing itself each week.

Precisely! The Bills need a QB. Plain and Simple. This comment could go in the "what pieces are missing" thread, as well. But until we have a quality QB, we'll have problems - OL that can't block, OC that can't call plays, WR that can't get open, etc.

There's one thing we need to consistently beat average to below average teams and to go toe to toe with the best teams in the league; a QB. Thad is obviously not that guy. I like him, but we all know he's not a top tier QB. Will EJ become one? I reckon we'll see... in time.

As is often the case, that game turned on a handful of plays, but by no means were the Bills outclassed or outmanned. They hung in there, in a hostile environment, with a 3rd string QB.

The plays I'd like back:

-- Stills left uncovered after Bills took 10-7 lead (just an excellent scheme to confuse the D)

-- Facemask penalty that nullified a red zone INT (halftime score would have been 14-10 instead of 21-10)

-- Needless hold by Chandler to nullify long TD to Graham (still scored on the drive, but lost valuable minutes off the clock)

-- 3rd and 20 pass to Stills (D did everything right; that was just Brees at his best)

These Bills are fun to watch and root for, and there is absolutely no quit in them. Can't wait for a healthy EJ and CJ to get back in there. A 9-7 record at the end of all of this would not surprise me at all. The arrow is pointing up.

That was as ticky tac as I have ever witnessed of a penalty.

2) Thad Lewis was exposed today. He was hurt, under some pressure, and he is inexperienced. But, he lacks touch. Again, I hope that they utilize his ability to run. There now seems to be very little to lose.

I will say this much...I believe this team is on the rise...It may not show up in every game this season, but I think it's pretty apparent...Especially on Defense...One of the toughest things in the NFL seems to be the ability to go 2 deep at QB without a tremendous drop-off...I think Lewis has the raw ability to be a solid back-up in the NFL, but it's tough to gauge right now due to his lack of gameday experience...His sailing balls, lack of ball security, and inaccuracy at times give me clear moments of pause when trying to project his future with this team...I do hope that the Bills are able to nail this issue down by the beginning of next season...Because in 2014 this team is going to be looking to take a major step forward, and I think they'll have most of the guns too do it...But if EJ goes down again the back-up is going to have to be expected to win, like Reich did...It's going to be really important down the road...I just have that feeling... B-)

Robert Woods- I think he's going to be a good one, but he's been MIA of late. We need more out of him now.

Goodwin- a couple of really nice grabs. Wasn't sure what to expect from him, but I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far.

Lewis- the kid is tough, but he really needs to take care of the ball better. I think he's put the ball on the carpet 5x over the last 3 weeks. His pocket awareness isn't particularly good, IMO, which contributes to some of the shots he takes.

FJ - great 1Q, but ineffective thereafter. By all accounts, he's a good guy and teammate, but, IMO, he's best used as a situational, change-of-pace back.

Alonso - better than he was against CIN and MIA, but he still wasn't great today, especially relative to the way he played to start the season.

Robey - I think he'll be a solid 3/4 CB in the NFL, but he had a rough one today. The Stills TD and the pass that went right through his hands were huge plays that majorly impacted the outcome.

Why does it seem like opposing TEs either plow over or drag forward our Safeties, but Chandler gets tossed around by opposing safeties?

Lawson's absence was huge. I hope to see Hughes drop back in coverage as infrequently as possible for the rest of the year.

NE/MIA was like a TOR/BOS hockey game - I was desperately hoping for both teams to lose.

I love this team's fight and toughness - I haven't seen those traits out of a Bills team in years. We're getting there...

Did he have any holes to run through?

I really think this offseason we need to look to upgrade our O Line.

I've been saying for a few weeks that he is Fitz with a better arm. He will wow you with some great throws fallowed by a WTF moment and a fumble. His toughness is impressive but Fitz took tons of big shots too.

Agreed. Tough, scrappy, regarded by coaching as very smart, smaller/average sized guy, can zip it but has to step into it, very little touch, some mobility, came from mediocre collegiate athletic program. Erratic accuracy at the middle range, Started out with rams.

For those of you wishing we kept Fitz as a back up, wish granted.

Agreed. Tough, scrappy, regarded by coaching as very smart, smaller/average sized guy, can zip it but has to step into it, very little touch, some mobility, came from mediocre collegiate athletic program. Erratic accuracy at the middle range, Started out with rams.

For those of you wishing we kept Fitz as a back up, wish granted.

And he even went to Duke, which is about as Harvard as you can get and still be in FBS.

No they aren't, but for the most important position on the field -- QB. Otherwise, the Bills are just as talented top to bottom.

I'd say this is pretty accurate. Switch QBs and the score would be very different. The one thing this Bills D has done well is get after the QB and if we had a QB who could consistently give them a lead it would be a different story.

The score didn't reflect the game imo. I assume that Hughes chasing a wideout was breakdown. Things like this happen. Aside from that, I thought that the coverage was decent. The fact is that Brees was on fire. He felt some pressure and again, the coverage wasn't SO bad.

Put Brees on the Bills and they are as good as the Saints, or at least close to it.

The score didn't reflect the game imo. I assume that Hughes chasing a wideout was breakdown. Things like this happen. Aside from that, I thought that the coverage was decent. The fact is that Brees was on fire. He felt some pressure and again, the coverage wasn't SO bad.

Put Brees on the Bills and they are as good as the Saints, or at least close to it.

From what I could tell, the Hughes-Stills play was a package blitz that called for Hughes to drop off if a WR ran into his zone (usually, this is a concept the team runs with Manny Lawson, since his coverage skills are above average for a LB). The outside DBs were in man-man, so Gilmore went with No. 1 when he stemmed his route inside, leaving Hughes to trail Stills on the wheel route.

Overall, it seemed like Brees' plan all game long was to throw to the side of the field away from Gilmore. Worked like a charm when we couldn't get to him.

Robert Woods- I think he's going to be a good one, but he's been MIA of late. We need more out of him now.

Goodwin- a couple of really nice grabs. Wasn't sure what to expect from him, but I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far.

Lewis- the kid is tough, but he really needs to take care of the ball better. I think he's put the ball on the carpet 5x over the last 3 weeks. His pocoket awareness isn't particularly good, IMO, which contributes to some of the shots he takes.

FJ - great 1Q, but ineffective thereafter. By all accounts, he's a good guy and teammate, but, IMO, he's best used as a situational, change-of-pace back.

Alonso - better than he was against CIN and MIA, but he still wasn't great today, especially relative to the way he played to start the season.

Robey - I think he'll be a solid 3/4 CB in the NFL, but he had a rough one today. The Stills TD and the pass that went right through his hands were huge plays that majorly impacted the outcome.

Why does it seem like opposing TEs either plow over or drag forward our Safeties, but Chandler gets tossed around by opposing safeties?

Lawson's absence was huge. I hope to see Hughes drop back in coverage as infrequently as possible for the rest of the year.

NE/MIA was like a TOR/BOS hockey game - I was desperately hoping for both teams to lose.

I love this team's fight and toughness - I haven't seen those traits out of a Bills team in years. We're getting there...

I think that Hughes is getting too much blame for coverage problems. There was a schematic problem or a missed assignment in the case where he ended up chasing Stills deep. It isn't reasonable to expect a de/pass rush LB to cover a WR - just about no LB could have covered that guy well.

I thought Robey was fine - had great coverage and on one TD he just couldn't make the play on the ball - perfect pass. On the deep TD, I think he wag outsized in spite of good coverage - that is why he was not drafted. Think he is a nice depth guy, but his size is a limiter

I think that Hughes is getting too much blame for coverage problems. There was a schematic problem or a missed assignment in the case where he ended up chasing Stills deep. It isn't reasonable to expect a de/pass rush LB to cover a WR - just about no LB could have covered that guy well.

I thought Robey was fine - had great coverage and on one TD he just couldn't make the play on the ball - perfect pass. On the deep TD, I think he wag outsized in spite of good coverage - that is why he was not drafted. Think he is a nice depth guy, but his size is a limiter

Like I said above, this is a concept the team runs fairly often with Manny Lawson (it lead to the Jim Leonhard INT against Cincinnati when Lawson blasted Tyler Eifert coming off the line). Obviously, with him out of the line-up, Hughes was the option-rusher yesterday and failed miserably on his assignment. Bad coaching decision and bad execution make for big plays against.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a blown coverage as well, but it was schemed that way intentionally. Gotta give Payton credit for that call and Brees for making it work. They took advantage of the mismatch with Hughes.

GO BILLS!!!

Like I said above, this is a concept the team runs fairly often with Manny Lawson (it lead to the Jim Leonhard INT against Cincinnati when Lawson blasted Tyler Eifert coming off the line). Obviously, with him out of the line-up, Hughes was the option-rusher yesterday and failed miserably on his assignment. Bad coaching decision and bad execution make for big plays against.

^This. I mentioned we missed Lawson a TON yesterday and someone suggested otherwise and said that Hughes actually made a great case to take Manny's job. Sorry, but I like Hughes as a pass rusher only.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd only add that if you were Bill from NC the title of this thread would be "My Thoughts Done Got Blowed Up."

Funny, but I know a former journalist from NC who abhors the term "Blowed Up"

From what I could tell, the Hughes-Stills play was a package blitz that called for Hughes to drop off if a WR ran into his zone (usually, this is a concept the team runs with Manny Lawson, since his coverage skills are above average for a LB). The outside DBs were in man-man, so Gilmore went with No. 1 when he stemmed his route inside, leaving Hughes to trail Stills on the wheel route.

Overall, it seemed like Brees' plan all game long was to throw to the side of the field away from Gilmore. Worked like a charm when we couldn't get to him.

I don't see how the mistake wasn't on Byrd. He drifted to the side of the field that had one Saints WR (who was well-covered), and vacated the side of the field where there were two Saints WRs, one of whom had a linebacker on him...

I don't see how the mistake wasn't on Byrd. He drifted to the side of the field that had one Saints WR (who was well-covered), and vacated the side of the field where there were two Saints WRs, one of whom had a linebacker on him...

You could well be correct...I haven't seen a good cut of the play that includes Byrd. All I could gather was based on the initial coverage concept.

If what you're saying is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then I can't understand why Byrd would drift toward McKelvin when Hughes was singled up on a WR.

If the Qbs switched teams, score would be reversed or even more in Bills favor. Shows value of recognizing Talent at the QB position and not to belabor the obvious, one of the main reasons we're in the situation weve been in, seems like forever.

I like EJ too and hope he is the answer but he is still unproven. Lewis may be a good backup, hoepfully a better backup than Fitz has proven to be (and he was our franchise QB!!!).

If the Qbs switched teams, score would be reversed or even more in Bills favor. Shows value of recognizing Talent at the QB position and not to belabor the obvious, one of the main reasons we're in the situation weve been in, seems like forever.

I like EJ too and hope he is the answer but he is still unproven. Lewis may be a good backup, hoepfully a better backup than Fitz has proven to be (and he was our franchise QB!!!).

Sorry to belabor this point, but the Bills never tagged Fitz as a "franchise QB" and he wasn't paid as one. His contract extension was essentially two 3-year deals, for middle-tier starting QB money, and the plan was for him to hold down the fort until the Bills found their franchise QB in the draft. The contract was offered at a time when Fitz had completed a 16-game run of above-average play. And then he stunk.

I tried to save them, but they are in cyberspace, and I don't have time to re-write them. But I will say this.....

1) I blasted Marrone last week, and I won't back down. I don't mind consensus disagreement, nor even personal insults lol. I think that he needs work on challenges and especially clock management. That said, this team fights back. I didn't notice one player quitting. The truth is that I am, and will be a Bills Fan under any and all conditions. But if I am going to blast him, I want to also credit him big time about the players not letting up.

2) Thad Lewis was exposed today. He was hurt, under some pressure, and he is inexperienced. But, he lacks touch. Again, I hope that they utilize his ability to run. There now seems to be very little to lose.

3) Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't like either of the challenges but I really hope people aren't going to start saying that we should have run the clock out with 4 minutes left in the first half...

We like Woods because he gets open. We like Stevie because of what he is supposed to be able to do after the catch.

EJ liked Woods because he gets open. It looks like Thad likes Stevie because . . . he's stevie. We have all seen Thad lock onto one receiver until he gets open. I think this is why it seems Woods is MIA. Havent seen the All-22 but I bet Woods still gets open.

Havent seen the All-22 but I bet Woods still gets open.

I thought so too. I am not at all worried about Woods. In fact, he looked frustrated on a play or 2. He is going to be an important part of the foundation of this football team.

Goodwin was very impressive. On one particular catch he looked like he had soft hands. If this is the case, he has the potential to be a star.

The Bills have talent. I am sure of this. A draft as good as 2013 would be a lot to expect, but if they can even approach it, they will be contenders IF EJ develops into a good quarterback. He doesn't have to be great. Dalton isn't.

Just imagine this roster with another pass rushing DE, some help at Guard, another linebacker, and most of all a better than average quarterback! We might not be that far away. I just hope that Pettine stays around for a while.

We like Woods because he gets open. We like Stevie because of what he is supposed to be able to do after the catch.

EJ liked Woods because he gets open. It looks like Thad likes Stevie because . . . he's stevie. We have all seen Thad lock onto one receiver until he gets open. I think this is why it seems Woods is MIA. Havent seen the All-22 but I bet Woods still gets open.

Woods is having the same QB problem TJ had with EJ.

Did he have any holes to run through?

I really think this offseason we need to look to upgrade our O Line.

I couldn't tell if it was poor line play or if the defense just fully committed to the run, but it seemed like Jackson & Choice both had someone in their face as soon as they touched the ball.

I don't know, man.

He's got significant accuracy issues and doesn't have a great feel for what's going on immediately around him.

I agree that he's played beyond expectations but I have my doubts about him being a primary backup in this league.

oh I thought u were talking about EJ

I think that there is little doubt that if we were playing with Brees as our QB & the Saints had Lewis as theirs......we would have won the game. Furthermore, I tend to think that we would be at least 7-1 on the season if we had Brees playing on the Bills each week.

People knock the Offense, the Defense, the Coaches, the Players and Special Teams.......but put a star QB on this team and we are a legitimate contender in today's NFL.

Edited by Dibs

I just hope that Pettine stays around for a while.

I'm not worried about it. I think this is a self perpetuated worry. While the defense is far and away better to watch than last year, their overall rankings still in the bottom third of the league. I don't see other teams fighting each other to get at him, at least not this year.