My Thoughts Got Blown Up......

I tried to save them, but they are in cyberspace, and I don't have time to re-write them. But I will say this.....

1) I blasted Marrone last week, and I won't back down. I don't mind consensus disagreement, nor even personal insults lol. I think that he needs work on challenges and especially clock management. That said, this team fights back. I didn't notice one player quitting. The truth is that I am, and will be a Bills Fan under any and all conditions. But if I am going to blast him, I want to also credit him big time about the players not letting up.

2) Thad Lewis was exposed today. He was hurt, under some pressure, and he is inexperienced. But, he lacks touch. Again, I hope that they utilize his ability to run. There now seems to be very little to lose.

3) Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't upset at the second challenge. It would have forced a 4th down and from where I was sitting, it looked like we stopped them short of the 1st down marker.

Our players DO fight I'll give them that, but man when they get exposed they get EXPOSED. I mean Jerry Hughes having to chase down Stills? Really? Confusion in the defense for sure.

At least with EJ, we know he's the QB for the foreseeable future so it's fun to root for him. There's something about Thad that just gets under my skin. Maybe it's when he clearly overthrows somebody or misses a wide open receiver, he looks at them with a smile and gives them a thumbs up. I don't know. Can't wait to get EJ back.

my one overall comment on the game...based on the rules in place....is there a team that tries to hit high more often than the saints? based on the rules in place, they are on the verge of dirty...

I didn't notice that honestly. Maybe they went high cuz that's where Thad would always throw the ball...

2) Thad Lewis was exposed today. He was hurt, under some pressure, and he is inexperienced. But, he lacks touch. Again, I hope that they utilize his ability to run. There now seems to be very little to lose.

Agreed...while Thad has an impressive arm sometimes, I think he struggles making quick decisions. His inexperience shows.

1) I am happy Tashard Choice is on this team. I never cared for him under the Gailey regime that brought him in and find it ironic to see how much better he is playing in a different scheme one would think is not fitted for him

2) Our OL is a scrappy bunch, but they need leadership and stability as much as they need an upgrade or two.

3) Byrd had a good game, I suppose. Does this change anything? Not in my opinion.

4) Did Gilmore blow it? The radio guys said he didn't. They said it was a brilliant play, Kelso went on about it that it created a matchup of Hughes on a WR.

5) Lewis is a backup with a ceiling, like Tommy Maddox or Alex Van Pelt. Tuel has a higher ceiling if he ever gets a chance to develop his skills.

6) Steve Johnson and Fred Jackson have been the two best players on this team for quite a while.

My thoughts:

1) Pettine called a great game early on, but it seems that Peyton figured him out.

2) Thad is tough as nails. Love him as our backup. He was beaten up badly today, but against lesser opponents we can win with him.

3) Marquise Goodwin has great hands, but is unfortunately brittle. I hope his "left elbow injury" isn't serious. TJ Graham is getting it together too.

4) Robey is a baller, but his lack of size will be used against him by a quality QB. Also, he missed what would have been a crucial INT.

5) Hughes was given more playing time and he rewarded us with some great QB pressure. But he is not a cover LB.

6) Stevie and Freddy both have serious grit. I admire it. Fred didn't have a great second half, though and I'm not sure if Stevie was helping the team being out there as limpy as he was. I can understand how Hogan may have lost some of the staff's trust, but Easley still hasn't gotten a chance out there. Choice is a great 3rd back and I hope his late injury is not serious.

7) Kyle had a spectacular game. Mario was a lot for the line to handle and he turned in a good sack and other pressures. That facemask call was technically correct, but a direct result of him being held.

8) Searcy has his moments, and while he has made some good plays in coverage, he also misses some altogether. I like him on the team, but I'm glad Byrd and AW are back there now.

Our QBs are getting hit way too much. This needs to be addressed. OL scrappy? I don't know about that.

I don't think our OL knows how to handle creative coordinators. Both times we played a Ryan brother our QBs took a lot of heat from the pass rush.

I'm pretty sure that "Kyle Williams is washed up" and "Gilmore was a wasted pick" are two of the ones you lost in cyberspace, Bill.

GO BILLS!!!

No, as a matter of fact I had nothing but praise for Kyle Williams. Did you notice that they rotated Branch at DT and spelled Dareus? The three of them are a great rotation. We could use another DE who can rush the passer.

I've been saying for a few weeks that he is Fitz with a better arm. He will wow you with some great throws fallowed by a WTF moment and a fumble. His toughness is impressive but Fitz took tons of big shots too.

No, as a matter of fact I had nothing but praise for Kyle Williams. Did you notice that they rotated Branch at DT and spelled Dareus? The three of them are a great rotation. We could use another DE who can rush the passer.

I did notice that. They rotated the three nicely, I think. They were fairly fresh the entire game. I like where this D line is going.

GO BILLS!!!

Imagine if whats his name, NE guy who I am glad I already forgot, was still on the team and able to perform at the level we hoped for?!

Gosh, it'd have been nice. Even Carrington back would be huge.

***Anderson is a FA. Can't believe a team hasn't signed him - http://www.nfl.com/player/markanderson/2495798/profile

Edited by jboyst62

I totally disagree that we should have any of our QB's run more. The fumble on the first drive and what happened to EJ should be enough evidence. The only time I would want them to run is away from trouble and then slide asap. It's hard enough taking the hits in todays NFL when you don't want them, I don't want us inducing them.

I think the first play was the deciding factor on letting Thad the Impaler run anymore. He'll be feeling that rib cracker in his sleep.

he won't sleep tonight. must have broken some ribs and that's pale faced agony. but he played through it and passed pretty damn well. how can you not love his effort? i think he's won the backup qb spot for the forseeable future. i'd certainly be content with him in that spot. he needs to learn touch passes and to avoid hits but c'mon, most of those hits can't be blamed on him.

this team has guts i haven't seen in 10 years from the Bills. that's not enough but it sure helps. especially for watching the games and making it better than raking leaves or mowing the lawn and it surely is this year. i think they're close and may even pull out a decent win streak from here on out. easy to root for. something i can't say for many of the teams in the last decade +.

he won't sleep tonight. must have broken some ribs and that's pale faced agony. but he played through it and passed pretty damn well. how can you not love his effort? i think he's won the backup qb spot for the forseeable future. i'd certainly be content with him in that spot. he needs to learn touch passes and to avoid hits but c'mon, most of those hits can't be blamed on him.

this team has guts i haven't seen in 10 years from the Bills. that's not enough but it sure helps. especially for watching the games and making it better than raking leaves or mowing the lawn and it surely is this year. i think they're close and may even pull out a decent win streak from here on out. easy to root for. something i can't say for many of the teams in the last decade +.

Agree. Despite the record I am enjoying the season.

All I can say is that it was a tough loss today, we definitely got beat, but the team fought really, really hard. The effort's there, good game plan, just need a little better execution in some phases and a few more players. If these guys keep buying in and sticking with each other, and if EJ works out, we are going to have a pretty damn good football team. Go Bills.

Robert Woods- I think he's going to be a good one, but he's been MIA of late. We need more out of him now.

Goodwin- a couple of really nice grabs. Wasn't sure what to expect from him, but I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far.

Lewis- the kid is tough, but he really needs to take care of the ball better. I think he's put the ball on the carpet 5x over the last 3 weeks. His pocket awareness isn't particularly good, IMO, which contributes to some of the shots he takes.

FJ - great 1Q, but ineffective thereafter. By all accounts, he's a good guy and teammate, but, IMO, he's best used as a situational, change-of-pace back.

Alonso - better than he was against CIN and MIA, but he still wasn't great today, especially relative to the way he played to start the season.

Robey - I think he'll be a solid 3/4 CB in the NFL, but he had a rough one today. The Stills TD and the pass that went right through his hands were huge plays that majorly impacted the outcome.

Why does it seem like opposing TEs either plow over or drag forward our Safeties, but Chandler gets tossed around by opposing safeties?

Lawson's absence was huge. I hope to see Hughes drop back in coverage as infrequently as possible for the rest of the year.

NE/MIA was like a TOR/BOS hockey game - I was desperately hoping for both teams to lose.

I love this team's fight and toughness - I haven't seen those traits out of a Bills team in years. We're getting there...

2) Thad Lewis was exposed today.

How exactly does a #4 QB get exposed? If anything, it's amazing that the Bills are getting the quality of play from him that they are. Here is a guy that 32 teams didn't even deem worthy to be a #2 QB in the league, which made him at the very most tied for being the 65th best NFL QB prospect (it's actually even lower, considering some teams had 3 QBs on their opening day roster).

Thad was the fourth sting QB and considering that he is playing amazing. He has definitely showed enough to be a #2 somewhere after EJ comes back.

He has definitely showed enough to be a #2 somewhere after EJ comes back.

I don't know, man.

He's got significant accuracy issues and doesn't have a great feel for what's going on immediately around him.

I agree that he's played beyond expectations but I have my doubts about him being a primary backup in this league.

my one overall comment on the game...based on the rules in place....is there a team that tries to hit high more often than the saints? based on the rules in place, they are on the verge of dirty...

It is after all the Rob Ryan's defense. IT has always been known for dirty play.

Robert Woods- I think he's going to be a good one, but he's been MIA of late. We need more out of him now.

I don't know what happened here. May be Chandler is getting more looks than Woods.

Goodwin- a couple of really nice grabs. Wasn't sure what to expect from him, but I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far.

It is amazing how much he is open. With an accurate QB like Brees, Goodwin could have had the same game as Stills had for the Saints.

Lewis- the kid is tough, but he really needs to take care of the ball better. I think he's put the ball on the carpet 5x over the last 3 weeks. His pocket awareness isn't particularly good, IMO, which contributes to some of the shots he takes.

Agreed. He cost us too many points. When you give such field position to Brees in his own backyard, he will kill you.

FJ - great 1Q, but ineffective thereafter. By all accounts, he's a good guy and teammate, but, IMO, he's best used as a situational, change-of-pace back.

> Lawson's absence was huge. I hope to see Hughes drop back in coverage as infrequently as possible for the rest of the year.

This!

I wasn't upset at the second challenge. It would have forced a 4th down and from where I was sitting, it looked like we stopped them short of the 1st down marker.

I actually wasn't upset at the first challenge. I don't get upset at using a timeout on offense if the ensuing play is successful. We had third and goal coming up, the challenge quieted the crowd at least for a little while to collect thoughts, and the next play was a touchdown. We basically used a timeout and called a play that worked. Had the challenge worked the timeout would have been saved so why not try it instead of just calling the timeout.

I actually wasn't upset at the first challenge. I don't get upset at using a timeout on offense if the ensuing play is successful. We had third and goal coming up, the challenge quieted the crowd at least for a little while to collect thoughts, and the next play was a touchdown. We basically used a timeout and called a play that worked. Had the challenge worked the timeout would have been saved so why not try it instead of just calling the timeout.

And the call was bad. The top angle camera clearly showed the ball crossing the goal line. Things just did not go our way.

You're absolutely right. I wasn't mad at either challenge and not because I'm a Bills fan, but I truly believe Fred had crossed the goal line on the 1st challenge and I believe we stopped them short on the 2nd challenge. What I love even more is how upset Marrone was at himself for being 0-4 in challenges this year. Shows how much he wants to be correct. I hope it doesn't stop him from challenging and becoming a Gailey...

With regards to this I think, and I don't have proof really, that Lewis isn't going through his progressions very fast. I can only assume Woods is #2 maybe #3 option on most pass plays. I think Lewis isn't getting to that read and waits too long for his #1 option to get open. Hence him holding onto the ball too long and taking lots of sacks.

Whereas in contrast EJ goes through his progressions, maybe too fast sometimes not letting his #1 option get open, and finds Woods.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

With regards to this I think, and I don't have proof really, that Lewis isn't going through his progressions very must. I can only assume Woods is #2 maybe #3 option on most pass plays. I think Lewis isn't getting to that read and waits too long for his #1 option to get open. Hence him holding onto the ball too long and taking lots of sacks.

Whereas in contrast EJ goes through his progressions, maybe too fast sometimes not letting his #1 option get open, and finds Woods.

I think this is a fair observation.

Frustrating loss. Unfortunately the Bills just made too many mistakes against a good team playing at home. Can't do that in the NFL. You will lose every time. The good news is that I do see improvement in this team and they seem to compete every single week. I'm thinking an upset of KC may be in order at home next week. They will have to eliminate the miscues though. They are good enough to beat KC, but will have to be on top of their game.

As is often the case, that game turned on a handful of plays, but by no means were the Bills outclassed or outmanned. They hung in there, in a hostile environment, with a 3rd string QB.

The plays I'd like back:

-- Stills left uncovered after Bills took 10-7 lead (just an excellent scheme to confuse the D)

-- Facemask penalty that nullified a red zone INT (halftime score would have been 14-10 instead of 21-10)

-- Needless hold by Chandler to nullify long TD to Graham (still scored on the drive, but lost valuable minutes off the clock)

-- 3rd and 20 pass to Stills (D did everything right; that was just Brees at his best)

These Bills are fun to watch and root for, and there is absolutely no quit in them. Can't wait for a healthy EJ and CJ to get back in there. A 9-7 record at the end of all of this would not surprise me at all. The arrow is pointing up.

My thoughts about this game, and team.

This years 5-1 New Orleans Saints had the #5 offense in points scored, the #6 offense in yards. The #1 TE in yards in the NFL. A top 5 QB in Drew Brees. Plus, the Saints have the #4 defense in points allowed, #12 in yards allowed. A definite playoff team, and perhaps even the NFC SB participant.

According to the late, great 49er HC, Bill Walsh. If it generally takes 3-4 years for any QB to fully develop, so that he fully understands what he is looking at when he looks over the opposing defense. Understands and learns how to set O line protections. Learns how to set his receivers for the hot reads. Learns how to go thru his progressions as the play develops. Then when you watch QB's like Peyton Manning - Drew Brees you expect your QB to perform as well.

When he doesn't during the game you come to the realization it ain't gonna happen any time soon, not with a rookie or guy just off the PS.

I look back at the 2012 season with very experienced Bills coaches / journeyman QB, and then recall what that years team played like against a top defense, and better then average offense in the 2012 SF 49ers. After that week 5, 45-3 blowout I can only remember how embarrassing it was to be a Bills fan with Chan Gailey as HC, Dave Wannstedt as DC, Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB.

This new Buffalo Bills coaching staff has a rookie at OC, a rookie at HC and a QB just off the PS. I can only think I couldn't be prouder of the combined effort of the entire team. Nobody gave up, and conceded defeat. Many played injured and played their proverbial hearts out for HC Doug Marrone. Were there nothing but perfect calls, perfect game management, perfect player performance, heck no! But this years players believe they can win, that they can make plays. I can only think that this entire team will learn and grow as they go.

For the first time in years I feel like this franchise might be only a few players from being a playoff team. Unfortunately QB might still be one of those players! But it really is to early to see If Lewis or EJ will or will not develop into a decent QB.

The O line is exactly what I've been thinking it is, and in need of some serious upgrades at several positions to help protect those young QB's. Same with the defense in only lacking a few players.

However, unlike in the past. I now have faith that Doug Whaley can find those upgrades. Watching this team play its heart out made me proud to be a Bills fan again.

Edited by FeartheLosing

The problem with Woods is the QB! Lewis has missed him on multiple occasions due to his accuracy. In yesterday's game, in the first half, Woods came free across the field, had Lewis been able to connect with him the Bills would have had a TD instead of a FG.

Here are some thoughts I've been pondering. If Teddy Bridgewater is sitting there when it's the Bills time to pick in next years draft, do they take him? Will the Bills trade Jairus Byrd or do they see that he is a compliment on this defense? Do the Bills sit Spiller out another game to rest his ankle? Why didn't the Bills move the pocket for Lewis when they saw the pressure he was getting up the middle? Why don't other QBs take a page from the Brees/Rodgers play book and move around in the pocket or roll out to extend the time to make downfield passes. That TD to Stills was due to Brees rolling away from the pressure and finding Stills 1 on 1 with a DB and gave him an opportunity to make a play.

All in all, saints are a much more talented and experienced team, but we are a much better team than last year, even given the injuries. The team is gutsy and will take its lumps this year especially from teams like the saints. That being said I'm still going to pull for six to eight wins. The playoffs will be ours next year.

Kyle Williams played like a Pro Bowler yesterday.

I think it came down to 2 plays: obviously the INT at the end of the half, which wipes 7 off the board; and the D-holding call on a 3rd down that would've forced a punt, and the Saints go on to score again. Take those 14 points away, and the game is a coin toss, though the Saints still probably win. Point is, they were didn't look that over-matched even with Thad at the wheel (there's another 14 points related to his TOs).