4th and Goal at the one

Conventional wisdom says you take the points that early in the game....but I really like the confidence in his team that the coach showed by going for it. Not sure why the ran the same play three times in a row - that struck me as more of an issue than the decision to go for the TD. It did seem to me that the Bills went into a bit of a funk after that play until well into the 4th quarter. But I didn't see the game, only listened on the radio so may have added to my impression.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is impossible to know whether that series dictated the out come. The formation and play calling were certainly suspect. All four plays out of the heavy formation, same play three times and then a bootleg/pass option with personel that rarely or never touch the ball.

On the one? Going for it is a gutsy call and if he made it we'd be all happy about it. Going for three is three sure points. Six of one and half a dozen of the other in my book. I'm comfortable with either call. If he were on the five? fg...if he were on the one inch line? run it in.

I wanted to take the points especially considering the terrible first 3 plays. We were not blowing their D line off the ball either. We were not in desperate mode at that time. Against a good D, take the points.

I am not sure it would have changed the final outcome as game strategy from the Bengals may have changed. Also, we are not a high powered Denver offense to overcome mistakes/missed chances.

The predictable play calling was the problem on the first three approaches. I would have taken the three points and said so in the bar I was watching (I don't live in Buffalo anymore), because we have not been efficient on offense. Just look at the stats prior to the Bengals game. 3rd in rushing, 1st in interceptions, 2nd in tackles, 3rd in sacks, but low in offense overall. We're not scoring, and when you can tie a game, as a previous coach, you take it. If we can't make it in 3 downs, then we're not going to make it on a 4th.

It's sad a really improved defense if they had a complimentary offense would be the headlines on ESPN. If this defense could get off the field and just had a top12-14 offense in scoring, we'd be 4-2 to 5-1.

UGGHH!!!!!

Going for it on 4th and 1 should be attempted any time you are inside your opponents 10. Just my opinion and nothing will change my mind on that one. It's a mindset that I believe leads a lot more good than bad. Let's keep in mind that the real pressure in those situations falls upon your opponent's defense if you are a good offensive play caller.

On the one? Going for it is a gutsy call and if he made it we'd be all happy about it. Going for three is three sure points. Six of one and half a dozen of the other in my book. I'm comfortable with either call. If he were on the five? fg...if he were on the one inch line? run it in.

Except that the "gutsy" play that was called put the TE into the end zone on the same side of the field that the QB was rolling out. Whats wrong with that you say? Well generally nothing. But in this case the TE they put into the pattern was not a TE, but a backup offensive lineman. You have to give yourself at least a high chance of success if you are going to make the "gutsy" call.

I think failing to score a TD was less significant than giving up the 99-yard TD drive right after that.

You miss on a TD, and the expectation is that your defense can at least get you good field position.

Exactly.

They had multiple attempts to pound it in and failed. At that point, kick the figgie and take the (almost) sure thing.

If they had been moving the ball and had just barely missed it that would have been a different story. But with multiple failed attempts already, they should have gotten the hint.

I think Choice is the best goal line back. He seems to be able to get lower than spiller & Jackson & can drive .

oh man i think FJax is top 5 in the league at the goal line.

finds the hole, moves the pile, never stops the legs churning.

Choice runs hard and very low I agree, but don't think he's in Freddy's league

Beginning of the second quarter, down by 3, started with 1st and goal from the 2 and got stuffed 3 times (I agree, bad play calling), you take the points every time. I like the confident attitude, but there's no doubt it was the wrong call. If it had worked it would have been great, but it still would have been the wrong call. And it has nothing to do with the outcome of the game, just the right call for the coach to make at the time.

Just wish Hackett would have tried to spread it out on those goal line runs. Versus a front like Cincinnati's, I thought maybe going four wides and getting a few bodies out of the box gives our backs a better chance to find that crease. Can't come away from that situation with no points.

How do you guys think of a play like this:

_ and goal at the 1, line up like it's gonna be a read option with Freddy next to Thad. Thad starts pretending to read the defense Manning style, walking all over the place yelling at the O line random calls. Thad walks over next to the left tackle and sneakily acts as a tight end. Silent direct snap to Freddy and he bursts through into the end zone.

Game. Set. Match.

The error lies not in going for it but rather the timing. The Bills had just rolled down the field at the end of the first and had 22 seconds left on the clock after - I think - first down. The Cinci line was gassed and that was the time to punch it in - instead we let the clock run ou on the quarter, gave Cinci - what 3-4 minutes to get their wind - and we all know what happened.

Nice observation. I also wondered about that as the quarter ended, but I figured the Bills scoring was a gimme from the 1 after how they had been moving the Ball.

I'm noticing more lately that football is a game of momentum. The wave was riding our way as we gassed the Bengals defense. Then, quarter ends, they regroup and we get stuffed. The momentum completely swinga back the opposite way. They drive 99 yards for a TD. Ballgame.

For those of you who wanted to kick the field goal there, do you also want to bring Dick Jauron back? That is what he would have done. And when we lost the game anyway you would have been wondering "what if" we had gone for it there?

Would you also like to punt from the opponents 35 yard line instead of trying a field goal?

I have been dreaming of the day when the Bills would get a coach with the sense to go for it in situations like that 4th and goal from the one.

In my opinion it was a no-brainer call. I commend them for going for the touchdown. They were playing to win instead of playing "not to lose"

As others have said, you certainly don't expect them to go 99 yards for 6 if you don't get it. Allowing that 99 yard drive was their biggest mistake.

They made the right decision to go for it.

Go for it on fourth and goal from the 1? Great call. Terrible play call. We score the TD and the momentum of the game is in our favor at that point. Besides, if Cincy can execute a TD drive from their 2 yd line, then they can also do it from their own 20, assuming we kick the FG and the ensuing KO is a touchback. I think Marrone felt our D wasn't stopping their O good enough so he gambled that we should try to grab 7 instead of 3 at that point in the game.

They had multiple attempts to pound it in and failed. At that point, kick the figgie and take the (almost) sure thing.

If they had been moving the ball and had just barely missed it that would have been a different story. But with multiple failed attempts already, they should have gotten the hint.

4th and 1 should be converted roughly 75% of the time. Play calling play calling play calling

I know people are probably saying " if we kicked the field goal then we would have won!" But I like it how he feels comfortable doing that, even though he had a practice squad QB in the game.

OK. Now... Who thinks it was a bad move or was it a good move.

Only thing I didn't like is how we ran the same play three downs in a row!!

Definitely agree with the decision to go for it. Should've run it a fourth time, IMO. I can hear Vince Lombardi saying "if you can't get one yard then you don't deserve to win". If the Bills are trying to develop an attitude that they can run it on anybody then that was a great opportunity to build confidence.

Just wish Hackett would have tried to spread it out on those goal line runs. Versus a front like Cincinnati's, I thought maybe going four wides and getting a few bodies out of the box gives our backs a better chance to find that crease.

Ditto

Good move.

Easily the percentage play.

Nice to see Marrone do that for a change and believe in his offense.

4th and 1 should be converted roughly 75% of the time.

Much higher than that, more in the 90% range if you practice sneaks at all

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

cost the Bills the game

No. It comes out in the wash. Here is my logic:

Didn't they go for it later in the game (4th quarter with 12 minutes left) on 4th and 8 from the Cincy 22 and make a TD? To me, it comes out in the wash. They kick the FG early and kick FG again to make it an 8 point game. It would have been 24-13 when it was 4th and 8 from the Cincy 22 in the early 4th quarter. They NEVER would have went for it on 4th down and 8 with that much time on the clock in the 4th quarter. That is total of only 6 points. They got 7 with the second 4th down try and nothing w/the first.

Actually, not going for it helped them to surely tie!... And force OT! Kicking that FG, they would have kicked another (instead of TD) and then had to hope they make the 2 point conversion.

Again, I call it a wash.

I know people are probably saying " if we kicked the field goal then we would have won!" But I like it how he feels comfortable doing that, even though he had a practice squad QB in the game.

Gregg Williams is thinking "punt".

At the time I didn't like the decision to go for the touchdown. I would have taken the points. Thinking about Greg Williams and Dick Jauron though makes me laugh thinking that the Bills were able to allow them to reach the level of this incompetency. It kind of fits. The Bills seem to not make the right decision more times than not.

I have looked for the stats of NFL teams going for it on 4th and goal and haven't been able to find it. Anyone have it?

Here's why I didn't like it and wouldn't do it:

Football is a game driven by momentum, emotion, and machismo. Aside from not getting the points when you don't get it, which is bound to happen, nothing fires up a team like a goal line stand. It takes your momentum of getting a good drive and points and gives it squarely to the team that was macho enough to stop you on 4 tries plus about 100. It's not uncommon for a team to drive down to points after stopping a team on 4th and goal. We took it away from ourselves and gave it to them.

I don't like this and am on record of saying before the play to go for the FG. I know I'm in the minority here and I'm good with that. It's fine in college football I guess, but it cost us Sunday.

It was a good call because the math says so.

What does this mean exactly? How does the math say so?

Edited by reddogblitz

For those of you who wanted to kick the field goal there, do you also want to bring Dick Jauron back? That is what he would have done. And when we lost the game anyway you would have been wondering "what if" we had gone for it there?

Would you also like to punt from the opponents 35 yard line instead of trying a field goal?

I have been dreaming of the day when the Bills would get a coach with the sense to go for it in situations like that 4th and goal from the one.

In my opinion it was a no-brainer call. I commend them for going for the touchdown. They were playing to win instead of playing "not to lose"

As others have said, you certainly don't expect them to go 99 yards for 6 if you don't get it. Allowing that 99 yard drive was their biggest mistake.

+111

I wanted to kick the FG and don't want Dick Jauron back. Not sure why Dick Jauron has anything to do with this really. But as far as Dick goes, he was a more successful HC than Coach Marrone has been so far in his career. Dick .423 winning percentage and one playoff appearance. Coach Marrone: .333 The same as Coach Gailey's wining % with the Bills btw.

And, I have seen Coach Marrone punt from the opponents 37 yard line this year.

I'm actually seeing a lot of similarities between Coach Marrone and Dick. Both are unemotional on the side lines. They both make odd game time decisions like Coach Marrone going for it and Dick trying a fake FG against NE one time that made no sense. Both lose a lot of close games. Try to keep it close and "steal it at the end.:" A questionable strategy at best with similar results so far.

Edited by reddogblitz

How anybody could say we would have won is beyond me....no one knows how the game would have played out if we kick the field goal...you can't add the 3 points to the score and say victory....doesn't work like that and if you think that....please help yourself.

Correct answer.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

The play call on 3rd down was the key. It seems like the Bengals knew it was coming. They should have throw it on 3rd down knowing they were going to go for it on 4th down.

But I have no problem with the call to go for it.

I was annoyed he didn't take the points at the time but know the rest of the game would have been different if they score there, and it doesn't automatically make the bills win.

Although those of us that wanted the field goal hashed out our reasoning already, I'll sum up:

- I like the idea I tying up the game with a virtually guaranteed play

- I don't want an 80-yard drive to end with zero points

- I don't want to suck all the air out of the stadium by getting stopped on a goal line stand when I don't need to go for it there

Remember, these are opinions, not facts.

No. It comes out in the wash. Here is my logic:

Didn't they go for it later in the game (4th quarter with 12 minutes left) on 4th and 8 from the Cincy 22 and make a TD? To me, it comes out in the wash. They kick the FG early and kick FG again to make it an 8 point game. It would have been 24-13 when it was 4th and 8 from the Cincy 22 in the early 4th quarter. They NEVER would have went for it on 4th down and 8 with that much time on the clock in the 4th quarter. That is total of only 6 points. They got 7 with the second 4th down try and nothing w/the first.

Actually, not going for it helped them to surely tie!... And force OT! Kicking that FG, they would have kicked another (instead of TD) and then had to hope they make the 2 point conversion.

Again, I call it a wash.

Correct - I mentioned this a dozen times between Sunday night & Monday afternoon. I think Mike Schopp was reading my posts.

Moreover I think every coach will tell you 4th&goal from the 1-2 is essentially the same play as a 2pt conversion (which makes sense) so it's doubtful they would've gotten the 2 and got to OT considering how the 4th down went.