4th and Goal at the one

I know people are probably saying " if we kicked the field goal then we would have won!" But I like it how he feels comfortable doing that, even though he had a practice squad QB in the game.

OK. Now... Who thinks it was a bad move or was it a good move.

Only thing I didn't like is how we ran the same play three downs in a row!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind them going for it at all, though I was not crazy about the play that was called.

It is easy to criticize when it doesn't work...but people saying they would have won if they had just kicked a field goal there are silly. They are assuming that everything else that happened in the game after that point wold be exactly the same...and it wouldn't have.

cost the Bills the game

So did the interference on Goodwin. So did the 64 yard screen play. So did Lewis' fumble. So did the 34 yard end around.

C'mon, really?

I liked the fourth down play call...on SECOND down. Second or first down was the opportunity for a naked boot or a PA. Not fourth.

Edited by The Big Cat

It was a good call because the math says so.

I hate hindsight analysis but as long as people want to do it, we still lose with a FG (because the Chandler TD doesn't happen) and we win with a TD.

Meanwhile people in Baltimore are apparently assuming GB would've taken a knee in FG range to run out the clock, losing by 1pt. That's even better.

I didn't mind them going for it at all, though I was not crazy about the play that was called.

It is easy to criticize when it doesn't work...but people saying they would have won if they had just kicked a field goal there are silly. They are assuming that everything else that happened in the game after that point wold be exactly the same...and it wouldn't have.

That's what I agree with. If he made it most people here would be saying that he is a great play caller!

So did the interference on Goodwin. So did the 64 yard screen play. So did Lewis' fumble. So did the 34 yard end around.

C'mon, really?

I liked the fourth down play call...on SECOND down. Second or first down was the opportunity for a naked boot or a PA. Not fourth.

Exactly. When you have 1st and goal at the one you plan for 4 downs to get it in and try a variety of ways to do so. Not three of the exact same plays then a gutsy call on fourth down.

How anybody could say we would have won is beyond me....no one knows how the game would have played out if we kick the field goal...you can't add the 3 points to the score and say victory....doesn't work like that and if you think that....please help yourself.

I wanted to take the points especially considering the terrible first 3 plays. We were not blowing their D line off the ball either. We were not in desperate mode at that time. Against a good D, take the points.

I am not sure it would have changed the final outcome as game strategy from the Bengals may have changed. Also, we are not a high powered Denver offense to overcome mistakes/missed chances.

I know people are probably saying " if we kicked the field goal then we would have won!" But I like it how he feels comfortable doing that, even though he had a practice squad QB in the game.

At the time, I wanted them to kick for 2 reasons:

1) It would have tied the game 10-10, which is fine by me 2 minutes into the 2nd quarter

2) For a QB starting his first NFL game, I don't want him to put together an 80-yard drive that ends with zero points

That said, it actually makes no difference. Had they kicked, the impact would've been that they likely wouldn't have gone for it on 4th down when Lewis threw the TD to Chandler to make it 24-17. With the earlier field goal, a score of 24-13 means that they could've kicked another field goal and it would've been a one-score game at 24-16.

So the more likely difference is that they would've needed to score a 2-point conversion after Goodwin's TD.

cost the Bills the game

Not really...see above.

I think Choice is the best goal line back. He seems to be able to get lower than spiller & Jackson & can drive .

Right now he's also faster than both, which would help if they tried anything other than straight up the middle.

cost the Bills the game

No it didn't.

You could say Fred's inability to get in cost the game. Or Kiko not making one more tackle. Or this. Or that.

If we hadn't gone for it, we would never had thrown the td to Goodwin on fourth down.

Going for it was the right call at the time.

Positive: going for it.

Negatives: your QB is 2 yards tall and you only need a yard. Spread the formation and sneak it behind Wood and Urbik.

Don't run out of the same formation 4 times in a row.

No one is fooled by Thomas freakin Welch running a flare route on 4th and goal

Marrone would have been put in the Gailey category on this board had he gone for the FG. The play call was the issue, that was a 1st or 2nd down call. I would have ran the ball with Fred again. I don't think there are too many coaches that would have kicked the FG in that situation...

Edited by ricojes

Put the points on the board!!! Chan got cute once or twice and went for 2 in the first half that ended up costing the game. BAD call, BAD coaching.

Plus I think that the coach was telling the team that they didnt have a chance to win the game without taking risks, and then coming away with nothing is even more demoralizing.

My thoughts are not from hindsight, I was mad when the kicker came onto the field.

There are really good arguments for either choice (as you can see above).

Personally, I would have gone for it. As Marrone said, the odds of picking up ONE YARD and taking the lead are in the Bills favor. If we somehow failed, there was a good chance we could make a quick stop and get great field position right back.

I've never been one to shy away from criticizing our coaching staff when they make a mistake. This was not one of those times. You cannot judge a coaching decision based purely on the end result. It is their job to put the team in the best position to succeed. It's on the players to execute. With that said... Did Hackett put the Bills in the best position to succeed with his play calling at the goal line? That's another story...