4th and Goal at the one

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was totally onboard with the guts to go for it on 4th. HOWEVER, the play calling was too conservative and very STUPID! Run up the middle every time only to get stuffed. Ever hear of "Play Action" or a "Roll Out", Hacket, you dolt!! I don't care what anyone says, Hacket sucks!

So did the interference on Goodwin. So did the 64 yard screen play. So did Lewis' fumble. So did the 34 yard end around.

C'mon, really?

I liked the fourth down play call...on SECOND down. Second or first down was the opportunity for a naked boot or a PA. Not fourth.

+1 Block in the back on our gunner on the ot punt also .

The play calling on this sequence of downs cost the Bills the game, and that lies with Marrone/Hackett. Lewis is an excellent athlete who can really run for a QB; on second or third down why not fake the handoff to Fred and roll him out to the wide (left) side of the field? This is not second guessing-I was begging them to call the play on second or third down. Thad would probably have walked into the end zone, or at the very least outran any defender to the corner. Peyton Manning can do this but Thad can't? They did roll him out on 4th, but after three straight failed run attempts off right guard, this was easily predictable. They also rolled him out to the short (strong) side of the field, where the D was stacked and ready for him. This is an example of Marrone/Hackett making poor use of the talent that they have to work with.

I was totally onboard with the guts to go for it on 4th. HOWEVER, the play calling was too conservative and very STUPID! Run up the middle every time only to get stuffed. Ever hear of "Play Action" or a "Roll Out", Hacket, you dolt!! I don't care what anyone says, Hacket sucks!

I wanted a Doug fluite vs the Jags type of roll out.

I wanted a Doug fluite vs the Jags type of roll out.

Oh ... you wanted Thad to intentionally miss the handoff to your HOF running back so he can make it a broken play and run it in to garner all of the attention for himself?

Or did you just mean you wanted a TD?

It was the play callin gthat was the mistake on the first 3 plays, not the 4th down play. Too bad and to the blogger who said this is not obvious we win is correct. Everyone's game plan changes based on a number of factors including the score.

We're just not there guys, but we are more talented. I know success will come and this is a different coaching staff than before.

I thought about how we hit on Gillmore, Glenn, now our first three picks this year. We will get better.

So did the interference on Goodwin. So did the 64 yard screen play. So did Lewis' fumble. So did the 34 yard end around.

C'mon, really?

I liked the fourth down play call...on SECOND down. Second or first down was the opportunity for a naked boot or a PA. Not fourth.

:thumbsup:

I know people are probably saying " if we kicked the field goal then we would have won!" But I like it how he feels comfortable doing that, even though he had a practice squad QB in the game.

OK. Now... Who thinks it was a bad move or was it a good move.

Only thing I didn't like is how we ran the same play three downs in a row!!

I loved it and I want to see more of it. I hope the fact that it failed doesn't discourage the coaching staff from doing it in the future.

I didn't mind going for it, but with a rookie QB and after getting stuffed 3 times in a row I think you should take the easy points.. But when you do go for it you are pretty much betting your offensive line is better than there defensive line, which we were not that day.

The error lies not in going for it but rather the timing. The Bills had just rolled down the field at the end of the first and had 22 seconds left on the clock after - I think - first down. The Cinci line was gassed and that was the time to punch it in - instead we let the clock run ou on the quarter, gave Cinci - what 3-4 minutes to get their wind - and we all know what happened.

How anybody could say we would have won is beyond me....no one knows how the game would have played out if we kick the field goal...you can't add the 3 points to the score and say victory....doesn't work like that and if you think that....please help yourself.

Some people like simple answers. They want to know where to point the finger.

I didn't mind them going for it, but for once I agree that the play calling had a very big negative effect.

Still, they should have been able to punch it in regardless of play calls.

At the time, I wanted them to kick for 2 reasons:

1) It would have tied the game 10-10, which is fine by me 2 minutes into the 2nd quarter

2) For a QB starting his first NFL game, I don't want him to put together an 80-yard drive that ends with zero points

That said, it actually makes no difference. Had they kicked, the impact would've been that they likely wouldn't have gone for it on 4th down when Lewis threw the TD to Chandler to make it 24-17. With the earlier field goal, a score of 24-13 means that they could've kicked another field goal and it would've been a one-score game at 24-16.

So the more likely difference is that they would've needed to score a 2-point conversion after Goodwin's TD.

Exactly.

The Bills went for it twice on fourth down: once when they didn't make it; the other time when they got the Chandler TD. It's easy after the fact to cherry pick the fourth down attempt which didn't work; while remaining silent about the one which did.

If the Bills had a crystal ball, they could avoid whichever 4th down attempts were destined to fail; while going for it on 4th down whenever destined to succeed.

But since the Bills don't have a crystal ball, it's unfair to cherry pick only the fourth down attempts which didn't work. We're better off commenting on the generalized strategy of going for it on 4th down more often than a guy like Jauron might. I like the more aggressive strategy because it makes sense mathematically. However, I'm less comfortable with the offensive play calling. For example, there are too many runs into the pile of guys in the middle.

What made the decision to go for it a bad one, wasn't that they didn't score so much as it was our defense let Cinci go 99 yards immediately afterwards. Marrone was banking on his defense as much as his offense. I liked the call, at home, with a chance to make a statement early.

GO BILLS!!!

I wanted them to kick the FG there as well...I just wanted some points at that time...But given the time to reflect I think it was the right call to go for it, but I simply did not like the play call...That was a 2nd or 3rd down play...Not a 4th...You don't try to get cute when you only have one more chance...Cincy's strength is definitely their D-Line...I would have liked to see the Bills try to get CJ to the pylon there...Stack it up in the middle and let him run to the pylon...Or maybe a naked bootleg...Something to occupy Cincy's best players and try to beat them on the perimeter...Or at the very least if you're going to call a roll out, sneak the TE out the opposite way and throw back...It seems like that play always works...But that's just me... B-)

C'mon, really?

Yep, that 4th down was screaming for a naked bootleg back to the wide side of the field, and I was too, unfortunately

they were not listening.