Three guys that need more chatter:

Simon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawson really has been a stud. Couldn't be happier with that acquisition at this point

I remember some people on the board not being to pleased when we signed him. Pointing out the lack of sacks he gets, not realizing how good he is against the run.

I think after these two games he has shown how big of a signing he's been.

I remember some people on the board not being to pleased when we signed him. Pointing out the lack of sacks he gets, not realizing how good he is against the run.

I think after these two games he has shown how big of a signing he's been.

Well said.

I, for one, was excited about the signing of Lawson. Definitely good against the run, and knows how to lay the lumber on the RB when he gets the chance.

Eric Wood and Manny Lawson.

They've both been great in both games and we haven't heard hardly a peep about either.

What I love about this thread is that you say there are three players in the title but don't kill the thread by naming them all right away. FWIW I agree with the first two. I can't wait to see the third.

Eric Wood and Manny Lawson.

They've both been great in both games and we haven't heard hardly a peep about either.

Maybe Marrone's Bills are going to be one of those teams where you don't hear a lot about individual players (other than EJ, Stevie, Mario, and CJ) and the others just do their jobs. Like Easley blowing up that guy on the kick return.

I thought the offensive line as a whole did extremely well in both games so far, especially considering they were up against two very good defensive lines.

New England and Carolina were 9th and 14th, respectively, against the run last year. Carolina actually hadn't given up more than 70 yards rushing in a game in over five games dating back to last season. Both are even better this season. While the going was tough, and understandably so, the Bills rushed for 136 and 149 yards against those two teams. I think the O-line, overall, did a pretty decent job against two teams who might, arguably, be in the top 10 in regard to their front sevens.

3. Manny Lawson - looks like him and Mario are having fun reliving their college days a bit ... I like his awareness & bad intentions out there.

2. Kiko Alonso - amazing start for a rookie ... athletic ability and instincts are off the charts. You could say the exact same thing about Manuel and/or Woods.

1. Leodis McKelvin - OK he badly judged a punt vs. NE, but he has played CB as good as you possibly can - and when it is most needed.

You have to give huge credit to the whole offensive line. So many naysayers were complaining about letting Levitre walk and how bad the line was going to be. So far in two games against two pretty good defenses, they've allowed a grand total of 1 sack. That's a sack rate of 1.5% folks. Compare that to Tom Brady's 3.2% or Peyton Manning's 3.4% and you can see just how good it is. Cordy Glenn has been an absolute stud at LT. We have a team that's competing, which is more than I can say for a long long time.

You have to give huge credit to the whole offensive line. So many naysayers were complaining about letting Levitre walk and how bad the line was going to be. So far in two games against two pretty good defenses, they've allowed a grand total of 1 sack. That's a sack rate of 1.5% folks. Compare that to Tom Brady's 3.2% or Peyton Manning's 3.4% and you can see just how good it is. Cordy Glenn has been an absolute stud at LT. We have a team that's competing, which is more than I can say for a long long time.

Good points ... tough to single out O-line play from the sideline views we get on TV, but those 5 guys definitely deserve some positive chatter.

Some people on here have been uber-critical of Colin Brown after one game, perhaps just because he is not as experienced nor as wealthy as Levitre. But with the limited amounts of hits and general duress EJ has had to withstand thus far, I am not sure why. And Erik Pears is a mountain of a man and a far better tackle than many Bills fans recognize. Plus Glenn-Wood-Urbik are playing about as solidly as you can, if not at all-league levels. And going double tight with Lee Smith is like having 6 OL's out there.

No doubt they've been pretty good, but Manuel has eluded three sacks (by my count) that would have brought down just about anyone else.

No doubt they've been pretty good, but Manuel has eluded three sacks (by my count) that would have brought down just about anyone else.

Agreed. O-line is solid AND Manuel avoids when neccasary.

That big throw to Woods for the 1st down would have been a 3 and out with Fitzy.

(The one where Rivera challenged for some reason.)

The first couple weeks have come with a lot of praise for EJ, the defense and the coaching staff. This is all very justifiable. However, two guys who aren't getting enough attention and who have both played huge parts in the success so far this season are two of the big uglies along the offensive front - Cordy Glenn and Kraig Urbik.

All Cordy Glenn has done (If my analysis after re-watching both games is correct) is not give up a single pressure through two games. I know PFF confirmed this for week one, and I do not have him down for having been beat on a pass rush in week two either. This is incredible. And it comes against two very solid defensive lines. Chandler Jones is no slouch, as the Jets Pro Bowl left tackle found out the hard way last Thursday when he burned him for two sacks and multiple pressures. Then this past week Glenn spent the day squaring off against Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson who can both really get after the quarterback with both speed and power, and completely dominated. He has some of the quickest feet you will see for a man that size, and consistently anchors so that he is not beaten by a power rush right at him. He has also shown well in the run game, particularly in getting to the second-level, as an unfortunate Jon Beason found out in a 1st quarter run by CJ Spiller in which Glenn lit him up 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. Folks, we could be looking at an All-Pro season for #77 if he keeps this up.

As good as Cordy Glenn has been in pass protection, Kraig Urbik has been just as dominant in run blocking at times. Urbik has been consistently sealing his man on running plays, and opening up huge lanes for CJ and Fred, specifically on designed cut-back plays (Some of which, as we know, CJ missed in week one). I noticed at least three separate plays last week in which Urbik blasted off the ball and took his man completely out of the play, leaving huge holes for the backs to exploit. I mean they had 7 yards handed to them before even having to make a guy miss because of Urbik blocks. This was very impressive. He has also more than held his own in pass protection. Consistently provides a clean pocket for Manuel and rarely misses an assignment. Truly one of the most underrated parts of this team. I'm glad we gave him an extension when we did.

On one sour note, as good as these two have been, Colin Brown has been absolutely awful. He is getting manhandled by just about any and every one that has lined up against him so far this season. IMO, if he doesn't significantly pick up his play within the next week or two, he should be cut. There just has to be someone, either in-house or out, that can produce better results than what he is giving this team right now.

Most importantly, GO BILLS! :thumbsup:

Good analysis. I haven't even thought about Glenn which I think is a good thing. I've noticed Urbik playing well and also, it seems unanimous that Brown has been abysmal.

Pears has been decent too IMO.

Edited by stony

You think Legursky gets a look at LG once he's ready to go?

I don't think they have any choice but to give Legursky a shot. Although somewhat better from a discipline standpoint in week 2, Brown has been absolutely putrid. I can't believe they didn't make a run at Velasco when he was released.

It has to be. Anything is better than Brown if he continues down this path.

I have said the same thing in a few threads. If the bills FO is not actively trying to find someone now, they are crazy. Brown is a practice squad type talent. He shouldn't even be on the roster. Legursky is an okay swing backup. They need to find someone else ASAP.