H2o

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rotoworld...all-player-news

Patriots waived WR Donald Jones.

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Patriots "want to get their young guys reps." Jones signed a three-year contract with New England in March, but the deal contained no guaranteed money. This move would seem to improve veteran Molasses Michael Jenkins' chances of making the final 53-man roster.

"So much for worrying about Donald Jones"???????

Can someone please fill me in on why anyone was worried about Donald Jones in the first place? Sure as hell wasn't someone to worry about on the field and he has no knowledge of the new offense, defense or regime...so why were people worried exactly? lmao

If we had Andre Reed as our #2 last year it would not have made a difference. I could make an argument that Donald Jones contributed as much last year as Andre Reed would have with Fitzpatrick at QB. Jones was a great blocker for CJ and FJ. That's about all we could do last year.

That's a stupid comment. Andre Reed was one of the best receivers and possibly the toughest receiver to ever play the game in the modern era. Don't ever disrespect him!

Generally agree, tho I always liked David Nelson (and loved his ex-GF Kelce!! :worthy: ). He certainly had good chemistry with Fitz and ran good routes - got open - showed good hands. I figured they let him go due to his speed (lack of). BUT - I was surprised they let him go. I also thought maybe they let him go because they want to move Shifty Stevie inside and knew he'd never see the field with Stevie ahead of him and 2 burners (TBD) on the outside. Sounds reasonable, but doesn't account for Woods. What do I know?!?!?!

That's why I work in a bank!!!

They broke up?

That's a stupid comment. Andre Reed was one of the best receivers and possibly the toughest receiver to ever play the game in the modern era. Don't ever disrespect him!

Totally agree. Any fan of the game of football that thinks Andre wouldn't make a difference....ON ANY TEAM IN ANY SITUATION probably isn't a very savvy fan. Andre was outstanding and he'll be in the hall of fame one day.

Donald jones was the type of player we were getting accustomed to seeing on the field.

Great motor, has one or two of the key aspects to be very good but severely lacking on several as well. Great story but not going to consistantly be a difference maker.

Seems like the new regime is happy to churn those types out in favor of high potential players.

I hated him for a few years because I thought he wasn't an NFL receiver. Then, I thought he proved himself worthy of being in the league last year, and I became a fan.............And, now he can't get a job!

I'm amazed at the certainty with which we write of WRs from the Bills when they had a guy throwing the ball who could barely launch it 30 yards with any accuracy or beyond a wind-aided 50 yds .

it wasn't a stupid comment and he wasn't disrespecting reed. reed woulda been open a lot and fitz would be hurling the ball in all sorts of crazy directions. reed woulda been throwing as many tantrums as TO.

Jones made a mistake signing with Patriots* unless it was only team calling. No signing bonus, no guaranteed money and a GM who plays mind games. The roster he needed to compete at seemed weak but he needed a commitment. He was released very early and should have found a team which wanted him more. Wonder if we will ever hear full story on why he was signed and released?

Really good players like Levitre and Byrd need to go because they want to get paid well.

There is a difference between being paid well according to your actual performance, and proportional to your relative value to the team's overall success, and simply being grossly overpaid.

My two cents on DoJo.

He was horrible his rookie year and on 99% of teams would have never seen the field. I hated seeing him on the field.

In 2012 he actually developed into a decent receiver. He would be a very good 4th option on 90% of teams and a decent #2 on 25% of the NFL.

He was the first young player the Bills developed into a NFL quality player I can remember in a long time. The Bills were a revolving door of crappy players for a long time until the previous regimen.

At this point he deserves to play in the NFL.

Just not the Bills. There is a log jam of young talented, fast receivers and BRad Smith.

Minnesota needs some WR help they'd be foolish not to bring him in.

Edited by Why So Serious?

http://www.rotoworld...all-player-news

Patriots waived WR Donald Jones.

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Patriots "want to get their young guys reps." Jones signed a three-year contract with New England in March, but the deal contained no guaranteed money. This move would seem to improve veteran Molasses Michael Jenkins' chances of making the final 53-man roster.

We were worrying about Donald Jones?

There is a difference between being paid well according to your actual performance, and proportional to your relative value to the team's overall success, and simply being grossly overpaid.

What really good player on the Bills is being paid fairly, in your opinion? This talk of being overpaid and wanting "more than you're worth" comes up with every single new contract for a strong player. Even guys that are re-signed like Johnson have threads about how they want to much, receivers aren't worth it, etc. It seems to me that fans don't want the team to pay for talent.

Edited by vincec

I don't hate the guy I just don't think that he was any good. That guy was the Bills #2 last year and may be out of the league. There was a SERIOUS lack of talent at the position. There were people on here that actually thought that he was a serviceable #2. The fact is he wasn't any good and the upgrade in talent is something that we should be excited about.

I agree , he was a marginal talent. Small school, took to long to learn the trade although he was dilligent. And, he was the one that ended N. Rosevelt's time with the Bills. I agree likely out of the league. But, in defense of Chan, he was dealt the cards he had....and for whatever reason, he and Buddie did not bring in much new talent at WR.

Donald jones was the type of player we were getting accustomed to seeing on the field.

Great motor, has one or two of the key aspects to be very good but severely lacking on several as well. Great story but not going to consistantly be a difference maker.

Seems like the new regime is happy to churn those types out in favor of high potential players.

Well said, that was kind of the point I was shooting for. We get these guys with marginal NFL talent that are forced into roles that they are not capable of handling. We fall in love with these guys because they work hard and they are "ours". I am certainly guilty of it. I am at a point now where I am ready to raise my expectations. Jones seemed like a really nice guy and a hard worker but he is not an NFL caliber WR. I was not sad to see him go and I am not surprised that the Pats cut him. The talent needed to be upgraded at the position if this team was going to take steps forward. The talent is certainly better but some may take time to develop (Woods should be ready immediately).

I think he'd make it and start. Odds are that none of these rookie receivers will be all that impactful this year.

He might make it if we were not dealing with a coach in first year more concerned about building program than winning to save his job or to get renewed. IMO Marrone will take the impact of new WRs learning now even if it means growing pains.

I think he'd make it and start. Odds are that none of these rookie receivers will be all that impactful this year.

Robert Woods was the #1 WR recruit in the country (#6 overall player) and had a highly productive college career. The FO knows this. Colleges offensives and pro offensives are pretty similar now and WR have transitioned well in recent years. If the staff thought that Jones was a starter they would have kept him. If Woods stays healthy he will absolutely be more productive this year than Jones was in any year. Give me talent over a hard worker any day of the week (and Woods has a good reputation in terms of work ethic).

I am befuddled that people really wish this guy was still on the roster? Whaley went out and upgraded a position that was a HUGE weakness and people on here are wishing that we still had a guy that may be out of the league!! This is the equivalent of people wanting Keith Ellison instead of Kiko (makes no sense).

My two cents on DoJo.

He was horrible his rookie year and on 99% of teams would have never seen the field. I hated seeing him on the field.

In 2012 he actually developed into a decent receiver. He would be a very good 4th option on 90% of teams and a decent #2 on 25% of the NFL.

He was the first young player the Bills developed into a NFL quality player I can remember in a long time. The Bills were a revolving door of crappy players for a long time until the previous regimen.

At this point he deserves to play in the NFL.

Just not the Bills. There is a log jam of young talented, fast receivers and BRad Smith.

Minnesota needs some WR help they'd be foolish not to bring him in.

I totally agree with this.

Robert Woods was the #1 WR recruit in the country (#6 overall player) and had a highly productive college career. The FO knows this. Colleges offensives and pro offensives are pretty similar now and WR have transitioned well in recent years. If the staff thought that Jones was a starter they would have kept him. If Woods stays healthy he will absolutely be more productive this year than Jones was in any year. Give me talent over a hard worker any day of the week (and Woods has a good reputation in terms of work ethic).

I am befuddled that people really wish this guy was still on the roster? Whaley went out and upgraded a position that was a HUGE weakness and people on here are wishing that we still had a guy that may be out of the league!! This is the equivalent of people wanting Keith Ellison instead of Kiko (makes no sense).

Rookie receivers have a steep learning curve. There are always 1 or 2 exceptions each year, but for the most part, guys don't start producing until years 3 or 4.

If woods contributes right away, great. But I am expecting TJ Graham-like production out of woods, Goodwin, and Rogers this year. I am, however, expecting a big leap from Graham.

For all the super fans distraught when he signed with the pats*. Then, claiming the hoody would turn him into the next Welker, would you please stand up and eat crow.

Jones is just one One of 3 completely pathetic NFL receivers carried by Gailey last year. Then when those scrubs were cut the love for them here by some was crazy. Easley who is still on the squad (for now) is the last of the bunch.

And Easley is certainly on a short leash right now.

Rookie receivers have a steep learning curve. There are always 1 or 2 exceptions each year, but for the most part, guys don't start producing until years 3 or 4.

If woods contributes right away, great. But I am expecting TJ Graham-like production out of woods, Goodwin, and Rogers this year. I am, however, expecting a big leap from Graham.

I am not as confident in the rest of them right away. Woods is just so polished and was considered the most NFL ready WR in the draft. I am expecting a leap for Graham as well. Rogers excites me but I don't know what to expect and I think that Goodwin will be a big play guy. They will all play a role at some level but I expect something like 62 catches, 795 yards and 6 TDs from Woods.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Three pages (so far) on Donald Jones, and what's worse I read all three. Thank God the rookies report on Monday.

Four

Let's see if we can beat the thread when the bills cut him and the pats signed....oh, the moaning that went on in that thread

I don't hate the guy I just don't think that he was any good. That guy was the Bills #2 last year and may be out of the league. There was a SERIOUS lack of talent at the position. There were people on here that actually thought that he was a serviceable #2. The fact is he wasn't any good and the upgrade in talent is something that we should be excited about.

what you said.

They needed to upgrade the WR position. If anybody thought that D. Jones was gonna take pressure of Stevie ...

I think that the combo of Woods, Graham and Rodgers , Goodwin is better than Jones, Nelson, and least we not forget Ruvell Martin.