So Much For Worrying About Donald Jones

H2o

Donald Jones may not have all the talent of his colleagues but the guy was a serious player. He played with heart and played for the team. I appreciate the effort he gave in Buffalo.

Me too. Didn't take away from the fact that he was a pretty bad NFL receiver, though. I mean he was an UDFA, so expectations were always low...but sometimes...WOW.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had Andre Reed as our #2 last year it would not have made a difference. I could make an argument that Donald Jones contributed as much last year as Andre Reed would have with Fitzpatrick at QB. Jones was a great blocker for CJ and FJ. That's about all we could do last year.

You could make that argument? I understand the hyperbole but Stevie had like 80 catches and 1000 yards and was nowhere near the player that Andre was. Do you think that the Pats would have released Andre Reed before camp? The WR's (outside of Stevie) were as bad (or worse) than the QB play. It is a little chicken and egg as to which one made the other worse but the answer is both. Fitz would have been a better QB with Atlanta's WR core.

The guy was not a good football player. The Pats are desperate for pass catchers and he was released before camp. He seems like a nice enough guy and I always cheer for small school guys. I would listen to an argument that he will land on a roster but there is no chance that he will ever be a #2 (or #3) in the NFL again. He just doesn't have the ability to get open.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Is anyone actually surprised about this? Come on he was cut by a team that left itself with two receivers who had ever played a down in the NFL and replaced him with 4 or 5 drafted and un-drafted free agents. Shouldn't that have been enough of a clue? The bigger story here is why the hell did NE even sign him in the first place. Exactly how desperate can they really be?

http://www.rotoworld...all-player-news

Patriots waived WR Donald Jones.

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Patriots "want to get their young guys reps." Jones signed a three-year contract with New England in March, but the deal contained no guaranteed money. This move would seem to improve veteran Molasses Michael Jenkins' chances of making the final 53-man roster.

LOL. My Patriots fanboy buddies were saying the Bills were stupid to cut him and how he was going to terrorize the NFL. Oh well.

PTR

I usually try to stay positive on here but I totally agree. That receiving core was pathetic outside of Stevie (Chandler is decent). I would have to imagine that those were the only guys that teams worried about in the passing game. It is yet to be seen but Stevie may actually do better without these stiffs around him. The talent level has certainly increased and it is exciting.

The potential talent has increased. The Bills are relying on the #2 WR at USC, a track athlete, and a second year player that showed virtually nothing last year to imporve the WR corp. The Bills may still have the worst group of WR's in the league even with these "upgrades".

You could make that argument? I understand the hyperbole but Stevie had like 80 catches and 1000 yards and was nowhere near the player that Andre was. Do you think that the Pats would have released Andre Reed before camp? The WR's (outside of Stevie) were as bad (or worse) than the QB play. It is a little chicken and egg as to which one made the other worse but the answer is both. Fitz would have been a better QB with Atlanta's WR core.

The guy was not a good football player. The Pats are desperate for pass catchers and he was released before camp. He seems like a nice enough guy and I always cheer for small school guys. I would listen to an argument that he will land on a roster but there is no chance that he will ever be a #2 (or #3) in the NFL again. He just doesn't have the ability to get open.

I am not saying Reed was a better player. If I was saying that I should be banned from this site and football forever.

What I am saying is that Reed would not have contributed any more to the Bills then Jones would have in 2012.

I am not saying Reed was a better player. If I was saying that I should be banned from this site and football forever.

What I am saying is that Reed would not have contributed any more to the Bills then Jones would have in 2012.

Yes he would have. Stevie Johnson did and Reed was better than him. Part of the reason that Fitz was bad is because his WR sucked. Jones is really bad at football.

I'm sure someone will jump but obviously you meant jones isn't better....

And I think it's a silly argument. If you want to say it wouldn't have changed the season, sure, possibly... But adding more talent even if its unlikely to be maximized obviously makes the team better

They just wanted to pick his mind about the Bills playbook.

I hope he gave it to them. ;)

The potential talent has increased. The Bills are relying on the #2 WR at USC, a track athlete, and a second year player that showed virtually nothing last year to imporve the WR corp. The Bills may still have the worst group of WR's in the league even with these "upgrades".

The Pats currently have the worst group of WR's and it's not even close.

http://www.rotoworld...all-player-news

Patriots waived WR Donald Jones.

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Patriots "want to get their young guys reps." Jones signed a three-year contract with New England in March, but the deal contained no guaranteed money. This move would seem to improve veteran Molasses Michael Jenkins' chances of making the final 53-man roster.

Young guys? Jones is what? 26? Hardly old for a football player.

Donald Jones may not have all the talent of his colleagues but the guy was a serious player. He played with heart and played for the team. I appreciate the effort he gave in Buffalo.

The guy had a serious medical condition. I'm not really sure who all these people who were bemoaning his release are but it suits the purpose of those who blame the fans for everything to think that way.

David Nelson on the other hand had a role and was recovering from a rather routine procedure nowadays. I know everyone is ecstatic about the rookie receivers the Bills acquired but they are unknowns. Robert Woods could pan out, or he could end up like most other hyped USC receivers. If he is Dwayne Jarrett part 2 then Goodwin better not be Roscoe Parrish 2.0. Nelson actually made tough grabs, converted third downs and scored TD's at the NFL level. That doesn't mean much to a lot of fans but compare that to the contributions of one second rounder named James Hardy. It CAN be worse. Retaining Nelson as an insurance policy would have been a negligible cost.......much the same as the Patriots invested in Donald Jones. It's not like retaining Nelson would have made it so they couldn't stay 8 figures below the salary cap. That financial goal was still attainable. I am excited to see the upside of some of these young receivers but they have everything to prove.

Its amazing how many people are eager to get rid of our better players and then gnash their teeth when players like Jones are cut.

Really good players like Levitre and Byrd need to go because they want to get paid well.

Average players like Kelsay need to go because they aren't really good players.

Bad players need to go because... well, they're bad.

Who exactly do fans want the Bills to keep?

Edited by vincec

Apparently he was owed a $200K roster bonus. He probably wasn't picking up the playbook fast enough (though better and more accomplished WR's haven't been able to either), so they decided to save some money and go with guys who they've already guaranteed money to. Who likely also won't fare too well this season.