Rapaport: don't expect Byrd to show up to workouts

NFLN's Ian Rapaport

@RapSheet: Don't expect #Bills safety Jairus Byrd to show up at voluntary conditioning workouts Tuesday, absent a long-term deal. Hasn't signed tag yet

@RapSheet: Bills S Jairus Byrd and Broncos T Ryan Clady are the only 1s who haven't signed tags. Clady says he will eventually. Byrd has said nothing.

@RapSheet: Yup. Jairus Byrd expected to stay away from voluntary work until he has one. RT @cp382 @RapSheet he wants a long term deal huh?

Edited by FluffHead

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't this be construed as good news? I mean, if he didn't want to be here, he could have just signed it and left next year, right? Instead, he wants to sign long-term.

Unless he's angling for a trade..

Unless something has changed can't the bills franchise him again next year?

It seems like there are mixed reactions to this, but this seems kind of negative to me. Either he is trying to use whatever leverage he has to push the Bills to give him a long-term deal (which would not be bad news) or he wants out.

Unless something has changed can't the bills franchise him again next year?

When you franchise tag a player for a second straight year, his franchise tag value increases to 120% of the first year franchise figure.

So the $6.96 million they are paying him for this year becomes $8.35 million next year.

And if they were to apply the tag for a 3rd consecutive year, it goes to 144% of the first year which would be over $10 million.

It can and has been done but teams (and the player) for different reasons prefer a long term deal.

The name Eugene Parker should ring a bell around here. He's Byrd's agent and just happened to be Jason Peters' representative. Good luck Russ/Overdorf.

http://www.kval.com/sports/Former-Ducks--194387051.html

Buffalo spent a boatload on UFA's last year in hopes of getting over the edge. Now that Buddy's first rebuild has failed miserably, it looks like they're unable to re-sign one of their own draft picks as those contracts are inhibiting them. And before anyone says you can't sign them all, Byrd has been on the radar for more than just one season.

It appears that he does not want to be here. He has value. Let's get good compensation while we have some leverage.

Agreed. Any team in market for a safety in 1st round comes to mind. Just so happens 3 of those teams (St. Louis, Cincy, and San Fran) have a lot of extra picks.

The name Eugene Parker should ring a bell around here. He's Byrd's agent and just happened to be Jason Peters' representative. Good luck Russ/Overdorf.

http://www.kval.com/sports/Former-Ducks--194387051.html

Buffalo spent a boatload on UFA's last year in hopes of getting over the edge. Now that Buddy's first rebuild has failed miserably, it looks like they're unable to re-sign one of their own draft picks as those contracts are inhibiting them. And before anyone says you can't sign them all, Byrd has been on the radar for more than just one season.

Knowing Parker he will want to get money for the last few years on top of being highest paid going forward.

I have held my tongue on Byrd for a while...but I honestly don't think he is as good as his reputation seems to be. Now, granted, he has been a good contributor on some really horrid defenses, and he seemed to have found his ball-hawking form again, to a degree...but other than the picks, I just don't see him as an elite player, especially on the Bills. I would let him go, and get the best deal possible for him. It often seems that when guys become free-agents, their reputation gets inflated.

I like Byrd, and would rather have him than not, but if it means paying him some ridiculous sum, or having him hold the franchise over the coals for crazy money, I say let him go... the Bills have been creating holes in their roster for years, why stop with Byrd? IMO, this team is still a ways away from contention...stockpile draft picks now...

I like Byrd, and would rather have him than not, but if it means paying him some ridiculous sum, or having him hold the franchise over the coals for crazy money, I say let him go... the Bills have been creating holes in their roster for years, why stop with Byrd? IMO, this team is still a ways away from contention...stockpile draft picks now...

Personally I would rather the Bills stockpile good proven players rather than draft picks. Our draft picks rarely turn into good players. So I'm in the lock Byrd in long term camp

Edited by FluffHead

Am i the only one who thinks hes overrated? He makes great plays on poorly thrown balls....

Probably not but you would both be wrong. He is a sure tackler and really gets beat long, plus he is capable of being a ball hawk. Very good player.

Knowing Parker he will want to get money for the last few years on top of being highest paid going forward.

We didn't sign Levitre so why sign this clown..so many people on this board said you should not over pay so lets see what everyone says about this situation. We have people on this board suggesting we draft an O lineman in round 1 (after having a good one here that we lost) , now maybe it should be a safety also...or in round 2. We need to ask the question, why do our homegrown draft picks that work out want to leave. Why do we pay guys like Mario too much, but we cannot pay our own guys or piss them off so much they want to leave. By not signing these guys it just keeps us from moving ahead.

NFLN's Ian Rapaport

@RapSheet: Don't expect #Bills safety Jairus Byrd to show up at voluntary conditioning workouts Tuesday, absent a long-term deal. Hasn't signed tag yet

@RapSheet: Bills S Jairus Byrd and Broncos T Ryan Clady are the only 1s who haven't signed tags. Clady says he will eventually. Byrd has said nothing.

@RapSheet: Yup. Jairus Byrd expected to stay away from voluntary work until he has one. RT @cp382 @RapSheet he wants a long term deal huh?

I say there is about a 3% chance Byrd is with the Bills in 2014

The Bills CAN tag him, but will they, knowing he probably would never sign here for anything less than what would make him the highest paid S in the league?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Meh...20%

How many 20% a year raises have you received. That is a Huge increase.

The Bills might be willing to trade Byrd and draft one of the top S in this years draft. It would have to be for more then just an early 1st rd pick to be worth it

I have held my tongue on Byrd for a while...but I honestly don't think he is as good as his reputation seems to be. Now, granted, he has been a good contributor on some really horrid defenses, and he seemed to have found his ball-hawking form again, to a degree...but other than the picks, I just don't see him as an elite player, especially on the Bills. I would let him go, and get the best deal possible for him. It often seems that when guys become free-agents, their reputation gets inflated.

I have to respectfully disagree. There's virtually no debate about Byrd among...anyone...fans, local media, national media, players and coaches. It's an absolute consensus. Yours is the first contrarian view point I've heard. So, unless you see something that nobody else on Earth does...

I like Byrd and all....id like to keep him....but whats he really worth? The last thing the team needs or wants is distractions! I hate guys who "hold out" for a longer deal....hes going to get one eventually. Just be happy with the 6 million your making in one year!