Ken Whisenhunt for HC?

PromoTheRobot

Ken Whisenhunt?

Who dreams up this crap! Why would the Bills fire a mediocre head coach (Gailey) for another proven loser?

Has anybody seen how bad Arizona played under Whisenhunt? This is total madness.

The next idiot idea would be to hire Jim Haslett as head coach.

Whisenhut looked pretty good in the Super Bowl when he had a real QB (one that he resurrected in his offense)

at least he recognized the reality that you need a QB and tried to find one - unlike certain GMs still with the Bills

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be REAL hard for me to get on the Whisenhunt train...I'd much rather have Lovie, and I'm not to crazy about Lovie...Just explain to me how it's possible that we are starting our Head Coaching search from within a Franchise that just went 5-11 last Season?...How is that possible? B-)

It's going to be REAL hard for me to get on the Whisenhunt train...I'd much rather have Lovie, and I'm not to crazy about Lovie...Just explain to me how it's possible that we are starting our Head Coaching search from within a Franchise that just went 5-11 last Season?...How is that possible? B-)

Three Year Record:

Ken Whisenhunt 18-30

Chan Gailey 16-32

No to Whisenhunt!!!

I don't know the guy but ... He appears to be a relentless hard worker. He displays fire and passion and on the sidelines. Two things that I suspect Buffalo fans would respect and relate too.

He gets a lot out of whatever talent he has -- some years it was pretty lean out there.

He took the lowly Cards to the Super Bowl and almost won it.

He took them to the NFC championship game another time.

He did it with ok talent that his GM could not keep or build upon.

He is proabably the most capable coach we have had since Wade Phillips.

Thank you for a little ray of positiveness in this otherwise overwhelmingly negative thread.

I believe that many on here will think whomever they hire will be "bottom of the barrel" unless it is Don Shula, Bill Parcells or Jon Gurden.

Howard Simon has broken a number of bits of info from his "sources" over the past few days--- Whisenhunt as a major candidate also traces to Simon, but I'm not sure that he's the frontrunner.

Whisenhut looked pretty good in the Super Bowl when he had a real QB (one that he resurrected in his offense)

at least he recognized the reality that you need a QB and tried to find one - unlike certain GMs still with the Bills

Yeah, Whisenhut looked pretty good when he had a HOF QB.

Think about what you just wrote.

:wallbash:

At this point, I'm just going to sit back and wait for a coach to be hired. Every single name that has popped up in the past 24 hours has been shot down for one reason or another.

Seems like we have 900 GMs on this board who wouldn't be happy if we hired Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Bill Parcells, or Vince Lombardi.

At this point, I'm just going to sit back and wait for a coach to be hired. Every single name that has popped up in the past 24 hours has been shot down for one reason or another.

Seems like we have 900 GMs on this board who wouldn't be happy if we hired Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Bill Parcells, or Vince Lombardi.

Well...I DEFINITELY would not be happy with Shula...I hate that guy... ;)

The fact that we're debating whether Wisenhunt, who lost to us this year, and his offensive line coach, who presided over the worst offensive line in football, would be capable replacements to Gailey is deeply depressing and a bit disturbing. :cry:

Exactly. I want Gruden, but of the "lesser" talked about I'd perfer Marrone or McCoy.

Count me firmly in the camp of those not wanting Whisenhunt as the next HC...unless he comes as a package with Larry Fitzgerald ;) (which is obviously NOT happening). More than likely, Whisenhunt (meh), Grimm ( :sick:), & Horton (intriguing) are being looked at due to their association with Whaley in Pittsburgh. Who knows, maybe it's really part of a plan for them to talk with Chip Kelly. He & his Oregon team are in Arizona to play in the Fiesta Bowl on Thursday. Hmmmm...

Whisenhut would be a good hire. He was a Super Bowl winning OC with Pitt.....he made the most of what he had to work with in AZ. The GM and ownership there was even worse than what we had here. Now if things truly play out like it looks, a young innovative guy with superbowl experience and now the right resources could be just the ticket.

Of course, Chip Kelly is my first want!

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

I'd be surprised if the Bills don't take a run at Ken Whisenhunt among their head coaching options. He has some ties there.

PTR

:doh::censored::wallbash::thumbdown::bag:

Ken Whisenhunt?

Who dreams up this crap! Why would the Bills fire a mediocre head coach (Gailey) for another proven loser?

Has anybody seen how bad Arizona played under Whisenhunt? This is total madness.

:thumbsup::beer:

I don't have a problem with Whisenhunt. But guys like him are a dime a dozen--sort of an average to above-average offensive coordinator. He's not really all that different than Gailey, Mularkey, Haley, etc.

Please think about what you are saying for a minute --- you are are totally discounting the fact he made it to a SB and to two NFC championship games. What did Gailey, Mularkey, Haley, etc., ever do beside lose?

Name some coaches that won with bad QBs?

I'll help you --- 10 years ago Gruden winning with Trent Dilfer, who was at least average; and 20 years ago Joe Gibbs won with average QBs. Who else?

Take the great Bill Bellichek off the list BTW.

Edited by Bob in STL

If we hire any coach from Arizona, I will be sick to my stomach. I'd rather have Gailey back. Why would we get rid of one loser for another loser. Hell Gailey beat Whisenhunt this year in Arizona. I honestly can't believe they are even wasting there time interviewing losers from another team. As far as Marrone, Syracuse has not really been world beaters during his coaching tenure against mediocre competition in the Big Least Conference. McCoy doesn't do much for me either. It was Payton Manning and the defense that led them to where they are not him. Lovie would be acceptable if he brings a real offensive coordinator on board. Chip Kelly would be great unless he plans to come to the NFL for a few years and leave to go back to the college ranks like several other college coaches have in the recent past. Why not Holmgren? He led Green Bay and Seattle to the Super Bowl and knows how to win cold weather.

Edited by box0life

Please think about what you are saying for a minute --- you are are totally discounting the fact he made it to a SB and to two NFC championship games. What did Gailey, Mularkey, Haley, etc., ever do beside lose?

I'll help you --- 10 years ago Gruden winning with Trent Dilfer, who was at least average; and 20 years ago Joe Gibbs won with average QBs. Who else?

I agree

Whisenhunt is about as good as we can expect. People are dreaming if they think a hot coaching candidate like Chip Kelly (who might end up being worse than Wiz) is coming here. Heck, I'm not sure Whisenhunt wouldn't turn us down.

Whisenhunt has agreed to an interview--- I doubt he'd turn us down outright unless he received a better offer.

I'm still holding out hope that they're just doing their due diligence or their interest in Whisenhunt is as an OC under Ray Horton.

This.

I don't think I disagree with you. My point is perhaps the same as yours-- give any of these guys (Whisenhunt, Gailey, Haley, Grimm) Kurt Warner playing at a HOF level, and they're going to be really good.

With the very few exceptions you noted, a head coach's success is wholly dependent on having a star QB. Bellichick would have zero Super Bowls without Tom Brady.

Gruden won the SB with Brad Johnson -Billick won it with Dilfer.

Ken Whisenhunt?

+1 on that.

Amazing how bad a coach you can be when Derek Anderson, Kevin Kolb, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are your starting QBs the past 3 years...

Somehow he managed to finish 8-8 in 2011 with a QB worse than Fitz, which is an accomplishment in and of itself...

Their OL is also trash.

Speaking of Billick, what's his deal?

Has he removed himself? I never hear him as a candidate.

Here's the funny thing about Billick:

He's had a big gray beard all year - now he shows up to talk about coaching firings and vacancies on NFLN and he's all clean-shaven and spiffy.

Billick REALLY WANTS to get back in the league.

apparently this front-runner stuff is also on rotoworld.com now:

According to the Buffalo News, Bills CEO Russ Brandon is "fond" of ex-Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt and "would like the opportunity to land him as Chan Gailey's replacement."

Scheduled to be interviewed along with Cardinals DC Ray Horton on Wednesday, Whiz is emerging as the early favorite in Buffalo. He has another fan in the Bills front office, as GM-in-waiting Doug Whaley spent six years with Whisenhunt in Pittsburgh. Per the Buffalo News, ex-Bears coach Lovie Smith "feels very good" about his fit with the Bills, though it's not clear if the feeling is mutual. The Bills have also set up interviews with Cardinals assistant head coach/OL Russ Grimm, Broncos OC Mike McCoy and Syracuse's Doug Marrone. They're said to be interested in Bengals assistant Hue Jackson and Oregon coach Chip Kelly as well.

I wouldn't be completely against whisenhunt but if the Bills are really high on Lovie's list, than I would definitely pursue Lovie as hard as possible. Screw the connection that Whaley and Whisenhunt had in Pitt. Who's the better coach? Lovie.