Chris Cooley available

We should sign just so the Jets can't and to actually have a decent receiving threat would be nice also.

The Washington Redskins released tight end Chris Cooley Tuesday, announcing after Tuesday’s practice that the nine-year veteran and one of the most popular and recognizable players on the team is being given the chance to find a starting job elsewhere.

Cooley said he believes he still can be a productive NFL player but it would be difficult for him to play for another team.

“I’ll take some time and make sure what I do in the future is exactly what I want to do,” Cooley said.

“It’s been awesome,” he added.

Cooley said he leaves with no hard feelings toward the organization.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said: “We know how much Chris has meant to this organization and this community.”

Cooley wants to be a starter, Shanahan said, and the coach told him that Fred Davis is the Redskins’ starter. The team is giving Cooley an opportunity to seek a starting job elsewhere, Shanahan said.

“I think he’s earned that right,” Shanahan said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-release-chris-cooley/2012/08/28/768232e0-f138-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_blog.html

is being given the chance to find a starting job elsewhere.

Cooley wants to be a starter, Shanahan said, and the coach told him that Fred Davis is the Redskins’ starter. The team is giving Cooley an opportunity to seek a starting job elsewhere, Shanahan said.

“I think he’s earned that right,” Shanahan said.

http://www.washingto...ff430_blog.html

Sounds lilke what Reid said when he cut VY

The full story here in Washington doesn't quite connect. Shanny says Cooley wanted to be the starter, so he cut him when they decided Fred Davis was the starter. Cooley has said a few times in the media that he is prepared to play whatever role the Redskins needed of him. The Skins did not offer a renegotiated contract. Cooley has been hurt for a couple years now.

I normally say no to these, but I'd be curious. How's he been lately?

I agree. I don't think he's done much since 2010 due to injury but...he had 849 yards that year and 3 touchdowns...with McNabb and Grossman throwing the ball.

I think Chris Cooley is a good player, injuries have plagued him the past couple of years. He would definitely be a nice pick up but he's very similar in style to Dorin Dickerson.

If they're trying in vain to create a spot for a guy like Dickerson then Cooley certainly makes a lot of sense. I never go for those "I've heard of him" proclamations when players become available but this is a guy that may actually be a good fit.

Then again, the role Gailey envisions for Dickerson may be too small for Cooley to consider.

Edited by Punch

Not for nothing, but if Scott Chandler can find a long term home with this team I dont see why Chris Cooley couldnt. I would love having those two guys on the field for certain sets. Chan is an offensive genius in my opinion, and he gets a ton out of very little talent. However, while that is happening I think they need to shop for that talent as well.

Not for nothing, but if Scott Chandler can find a long term home with this team I dont see why Chris Cooley couldnt. I would love having those two guys on the field for certain sets. Chan is an offensive genius in my opinion, and he gets a ton out of very little talent. However, while that is happening I think they need to shop for that talent as well.

Yea Gailey's 10-22 record kind of proves his genius.

I don't see why not... as someone just said I usually diabolically oppose of this idea, especially when it's about some washed up QB, but the team could use some depth and talent at the TE position. If he's not 100% yet from an injury, this would be the ideal place for him to get healthy, as long as chandler stays fit.

Well, we really have to ask the question of "who do we have after Chandler"? Considering how thin we are on receiving options, and Fitz's generally preferred range being short having a TE would be a nice addition.

But of course...RALPH IS CHEAP, FITZ CAN'T THROW, NO WAY WE'LL GET HIM!

Chris Cooley has certainly regressed over the years and he is now 30 years old. I don't know how much this guy has left, so much would depend on his physical and most importantly his mental state. Always an engaging interview Cooley seems to be a leader on and off the field.

We already a non injury prone original dorin dickerson : )

our #1 TE is a very decent pass catching tight end who is improving his blocking a little. Our # two for now is an excellent blocker who is working a little on his catching.

If we carry a #3 it's Dickerson in my mind. still needs work but can create mismatches a- plenty. Hope we keep him. He is working on his catching and blocking a little more. Thank good ness Pete M. is here this year. Our Tightened ends are playing well so far.

I think we will be okay and see more work from them this year as compared to last.

But always good to keep and eye out for the waiver wire Buddy, i mean BB!

terrible, can't or won't block at all, he is available because he is no where near the player he was

Fair enough. I know it's a new staff there, so there's not that loyalty (or possibly fit) and it seems like he was in role were toying with. I haven't seen much lately though so its not like I'm advocating. I'd love to hear more from people that have seen a lot

Chris Cooley has certainly regressed over the years and he is now 30 years old. I don't know how much this guy has left, so much would depend on his physical and most importantly his mental state. Always an engaging interview Cooley seems to be a leader on and off the field.

Its not that Cooley is that great but rather we are razor thin at TE. I wouldn't mind the move as I have no idea who our backup TE is going to be. Cooley is 30 but right now a on the downside Cooley should be better than what we have behind Chandler.

terrible, can't or won't block at all, he is available because he is no where near the player he was

Dont know about the "cant or wont block" comment..but i agree this guy is done. He reminds me right now of McGee..heart and soul of lousy teams, bleeds his teams colors, plays for the love of the game and not the money...and his team will give them every chance to prove they can contribute. Based on the last two years..i don't think Cooley can. I also dont think he will play for anyone else effectively..think thurmal in Miami.

My gut says he will be working in some cpacity for the Redskins within 3 months..just not as a player

Its not that Cooley is that great but rather we are razor thin at TE. I wouldn't mind the move as I have no idea who our backup TE is going to be. Cooley is 30 but right now a on the downside Cooley should be better than what we have behind Chandler.

Smith its on the roster. How many TE's should we keep? I suspect 3. Smith and a yet to be determined Dickerson. Fendi will probably go to PS.

I dont feel razor thin. Nelson can almost be considered tight end material. Heck he has been called that enough times by the media already. we are fine i bet

Smith its on the roster. How many TE's should we keep? I suspect 3. Smith and a yet to be determined Dickerson. Fendi will probably go to PS.

I dont feel razor thin. Nelson can almost be considered tight end material. Heck he has been called that enough times by the media already. we are fine i bet

Read that again and tell me we aren't lacking a bit. Cooley might not be the answer to the questions, but you just outlined just how very thin we are and finished with "see, not thin."

Read that again and tell me we aren't lacking a bit. Cooley might not be the answer to the questions, but you just outlined just how very thin we are and finished with "see, not thin."

I may not understand your point. so pardon me please.

Chan is not famous for his use of TE in his style of spread offense.

Do we keep 6 wr and 2 tight ends?

What exactly is it that we lack at the position?

More rounded players maybe?

I know i am missing something here.

Cooley may not be the answer. ok.

I apologise in advance :bag:

edit i did misspell it's

should have been is. obviously. oops

Edited by 3rdand12

I wouldn't say he's regressed, just that he was injured last year. He was solid the previous year. I have no doubt he would be a valuable addition if healthy. Could be worth bringing him in & letting our staff check him out.

He was released from Washington because he wants to be a starter. What makes you think we will convince him to be our backup? The guy said "“I’ll take some time and make sure what I do in the future is exactly what I want to do,”. So you think after that process he's going to say "I know what I want to do, instead of backing up Fred Davis for the organization I love playing for but I'm leaving because I want to start, I want to back up Scott Chandler"?

I think Chris Cooley is a good player, injuries have plagued him the past couple of years. He would definitely be a nice pick up but he's very similar in style to Dorin Dickerson.

I say pass. The guy is an icon in the Washington area and even if he signs, his mind will always be back in Virginia. We will just overpay for a TE who has his heart elsewhere.

ESPN Fantasy Projection: Cooley missed 11 games in '11 because of a severe knee injury, and while he's only 30, there are questions about his ability to keep that left knee healthy. In addition, of course, the Redskins have Fred Davis ensconced as their starting tight end, which would make Cooley an awfully expensive ($3.8 million) backup. A PPR-friendly but TD-challenged TE from way back, Cooley is destined for a backup role this year, either in D.C. or elsewhere.

He was the first TE in NFL history to have at least 6 TDs in his first 6 seasons.

Made the Pro Bowl in 2006 & 2008 (?).

77 receptions in 2010.

Injured in 2011, but supposedly completely recovered in 2012.

The most prolific TE in Redskins history with 428 career receptions.

Has some H back and fulback experience.

Supposedly, he was released so he'd have the chance to compete for a starting position somewhere rather than being a backup in Washington.

Called "Captain Chaos" for his "Animal House persona"

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'd rather give the spot to Dickerson. Just my opinion. He's younger, less beat up, and hungry. And he doesn't wish he was still in Washington. Just seems like a similar player but with less baggage and newer tires.