Claiborne gets a 4 in the wonderlic

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All teams (including the Bills) do a thorough amount of homework on each of these players. If they suspect that the kid has learning disabilities, they will investigate. There could be any number of reasons why he recorded such a poor score (if this report is true). Remember when JP left because he had to pee? Fitz recorded a nearly perfect score on his test (I think it was 49 out of 50), while both Jim Kelly and Dan Marino, I believe, scored under 20. Who would you rather have quarterbacking your team?

Coach: "morris, see that guy over there, in a different color uniform than ours......don't let em catch the ball"

Morris: "ok coach"

the NCAA is a joke.....a sham.....totally corrupted....all they care is about the money....

Right but 1/5 for 20 questions is a 4

Ummmmmmmmmm

It consists of 50 multiple choice questions to be answered in 12 minutes

Say guessing should land him a 10

And leave him with 11 minutes to actually try to read a few of the questions

It is really hard to imagine he is able to read. I think reading means a high enough intelligence to score at least an 8.

Oh God, please don't tell me he has a driver's license

Of course if he drinks enough, it won't matter...

Gulp :doh:

the NCAA is a joke.....a sham.....totally corrupted....all they care is about the money....

Both NCAA football players and all NCAA athletes as a whole have higher graduation rates than the general college population. In fact, in 2010 (it was the first article I read when I googled to find a link) 69% of Division I NCAA football graduated.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-10-27-ncaa-graduation-rates-study_N.htm

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html for example questions

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/ for the report on this

Ohhhhhkayyyy

He can STILL tie his own shoes....right?

That's not saying a bunch for the College institution that he came from :bag: !! So much for higher education :doh: in our educational system !!

Where's the Dept. of Education :blink: when you need them ??

I just tried to find an interview with Claiborne so I could see how well he speaks and was surprised to find absolutely nothing on youtube or through google... This kid is a Top 5 pick and there are no interviews of him? I wonder if the "Claiborne Camp" is keeping all of that stuff under wraps because it could hurt his draft stock..

I remember watching an interview of Leodis McKelvin after the bills drafted him and being like :doh:

I just tried to find an interview with Claiborne so I could see how well he speaks and was surprised to find absolutely nothing on youtube or through google... This kid is a Top 5 pick and there are no interviews of him? I wonder if the "Claiborne Camp" is keeping all of that stuff under wraps because it could hurt his draft stock..

I remember watching an interview of Leodis McKelvin after the bills drafted him and being like :doh:

I have always heard that Leodis has a speech impediment. It's hard to find something that verifies it because people don't like to announce those things.

If you don't think stupid matters as DB, let's have a look at Leodis McKelvin who people seem to think has all of the physical tools. He's made some down right dumb decisions on the field costing the Bills wins more than once.

From what I have found, his Wonderlic score was a 13/34. Link

Not to mention, when he speaks during a press conference, he sounds like a dirt bike race... if he's having a smart day, you might be able to distinguish an actual word coming out of his mouth.

Edited by BILLS_ROC

I'm not saying that I don't find that score alarming, but I remember hearing that Tracy Porter got a 4 on the Wonderlic. I think I heard about it the week before the Saints/Vikings NFC championship game. So, what did he do? He caused a fumble then later intercepted Favre in the 4th quarter to send the game into OT, which the Saints won. In a tight Super Bowl contest, the difference was Tracy Porter's interception returned for a TD. Wonderlic doesn't translate to Football sense, as far as I can see. ;)

Edited by rocwocka

I have always heard that Leodis has a speech impediment. It's hard to find something that verifies it because people don't like to announce those things.

Well, then who have you always heard it from?

Anyway, this Claiborne kid figured he would treat the test the same way he has treated every test he has ever taken--with complete apathy, becasue if he has learned anything in HS and college, it is that for guys like him, test scores will never matter. He knows the wonderlic will not change his future.

Both NCAA football players and all NCAA athletes as a whole have higher graduation rates than the general college population. In fact, in 2010 (it was the first article I read when I googled to find a link) 69% of Division I NCAA football graduated.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-10-27-ncaa-graduation-rates-study_N.htm

All that means is they passed players who couldn't read so they could generate money for the school. Come on Kelly, you're better than that!

Anyway, this Claiborne kid figured he would treat the test the same way he has treated every test he has ever taken--with complete apathy, becasue if he has learned anything in HS and college, it is that for guys like him, test scores will never matter. He knows the wonderlic will not change his future.

which in and of itself speaks volumes to his pride in how he presents himself, and does he do the right thing when it shouldnt make a difference.... and that does matter for most at the next level...

Wow...so in addition to having a torn-up wrist and being a bit on the slow side physically (ranked 10th among CBs in the 40 at NFL combine), dude's pretty stupid too.

I loled at this one. He put up excellent numbers at the combine and is still hands down the best shutdown corner in the draft. If he falls to 10... which he won't. Then we pick him up regardless

Thank you for actually bringing some sense into this idiotic discussion. He's most likely thinking, "i'm here to do drills, get interviewed, and take a medical exam. Why the !@#$ do i have to take a written test that has absolutely zero bearing on my future NFL career?"

Per NY Times, he has a learning disability...

According to the National Football Post's Greg Gabriel, LSU CB Morris Claiborne was diagnosed with a learning disability in high school. This helps explain why he registered a four on the Wonderlic Test. Per Gabriel, colleges that recruited Claiborne knew of the learning disability, which affects the player's ability to read. "Claiborne’s test score was NOT a true indicator of his intelligence," Gabriel writes. "He can and does learn." Apr 3 - 12:48 PM Source: National Football Post

Perhaps YE OLE can share some insight on this one. This past week YE had the opportunity in the course of an interview process (all of this so called 'TOPGRADE' nonsense companies are using now) to take an actual Wonderlic test. Now mind you, YE OLE, had taken various practice tests and so called sample questions online each year when inevitably a big name prospect tanks it. I will say, all of the sample questions that one sees online (ie 'What day comes after Tuesday?' and so on) were not on the actual Wonderlic that I took. Ultimately YE scored a 37... respectable, but definitely not Ryan Fitzpatrick material, but as I said YE OLE found it to be rather challenging given the time constraint. Also, there were no circles to bubble in, you had to actually provide written answers on each line of some form. Usually a number given a calculation problem, or 'next number in the pattern' type question, or in the case of formulating words you might write the last letter of the word in the correct answer. Given this style of answer format, I would guess if someone is not literate it would be next to impossible to score well. You can't simply fill in random bubbles. Part of the information I was given did indicate that a score below 9 or 10 or so indicated possible illiteracy.

This would be useful if thw wonderlic actually meant anything. But it doesnt. It's not a test of intelligence or smarts. It does nothing but test how well you take the wonderlic.

While the you wouldn't look for high Wonderlic scores to find your next football star, it still has use as a means to measure how well someone can grasp the complexities of an NFL playbook or whether or not someone has half a brain. Someone who scores below double digits should certainly raise all sorts of red flags.

Nothing better than an SEC classroom education.

That is just a silly comment.

vanderbilt is an amazing school

Heck UGA is considered one of the leading centers for the fight against Cancer. I can name more, but if you have someone who is fighting Cancer, you should eat your words quickly. The SEC has very prestigious universities. Yes some of the football players and other big sports turn out guys that will never be doctors or lawyers. You could say the same thing about ACC, Big East, Big Ten and so on...

If the kid has a learning disablity then that says something.

Marcel Dareus seems like a very well spoken intelligent person.

Keep spreading stereo types that are long gone.

While the you wouldn't look for high Wonderlic scores to find your next football star, it still has use as a means to measure how well someone can grasp the complexities of an NFL playbook or whether or not someone has half a brain. Someone who scores below double digits should certainly raise all sorts of red flags.

And yet Morris Claiborne had no problem digesting and grasping the complexities of the LSU defense, playing against top competition most weeks.

It seems to me that SDS should create a TSW Wonderlic test as a condition for posting rights so we could all rag on the bottom 20% of folks here...

Come on, Scott, what do a say?

Or, in my case, rag on the bottom 99%.

Which I already do anyway. You idiots.

And yet Morris Claiborne had no problem digesting and grasping the complexities of the LSU defense, playing against top competition most weeks.

College competition is like the NFL? Even the worst NFL team would destroy the best college team.

There is nothing remotely complex about an NFL playbook. Especially on the defensive side. Especially for CBs.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Well researched and answered.

That is just a silly comment.

vanderbilt is an amazing school

Heck UGA is considered one of the leading centers for the fight against Cancer. I can name more, but if you have someone who is fighting Cancer, you should eat your words quickly. The SEC has very prestigious universities. Yes some of the football players and other big sports turn out guys that will never be doctors or lawyers. You could say the same thing about ACC, Big East, Big Ten and so on...

If the kid has a learning disablity then that says something.

Marcel Dareus seems like a very well spoken intelligent person.

Keep spreading stereo types that are long gone.

All you had to do is point out Michigan State. While a great school, they've had their share of idiots too. In fact, we can point to every major football program and find idiots. If an idiot can play ball, he will be embarrassing a University near you. Vanderbilt is an incredible school.

Well researched and answered.

While I don't see statistics concerning the general college population in that article (it is quite possible I overlooked any), those reports often do things like include junior/community colleges in their "general college population" statistics.