Claiborne gets a 4 in the wonderlic

There is nothing remotely complex about an NFL playbook. Especially on the defensive side. Especially for CBs.

GO BILLS!!!

Ahh. So this blanket statement comes from years of experience coaching or playing in the NFL? What do those thick binders that we see players carrying around contain? Cookie recipes?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got stuck on this question: What can run but can't walk? He couldn't decide between diarrhea and DC Tom's mouth but the answer the testers were looking for was water. B-);)

Edited by JoeF

If he should drop to the Bills, I hope they do not take him...

Don't we already have a CB currently on the team now with great athletic ability who can not put a sentence together??? ... He has left his jock on the field too many times with receivers out foxing him ... He too had a very low Wonderlic score... That to me is a warning sign for not being able to learn... I hope the Bills let him go to someone else ......

Ahh. So this blanket statement comes from years of experience coaching or playing in the NFL? What do those thick binders that we see players carrying around contain? Cookie recipes?

Take it for what it's worth, but my statement is based on familiarity. I say that fully realizing that everybody that posts anonymously on an internet BB is full of crap.

Those thick binders are comprised of 90% schematic diagrams and 10% written words; the vast majority of which are devoted to offensive plays.

After playing at LSU for three years I can guarantee there is nothing in an NFL defensive playbook that Clairborne can't grasp from a positional and schematic point of view just by looking at the diagrams. He indeed may have trouble reading the written portions, if he can read at all, but it's easy to explain in a matter of seconds.

Additionally, and as I mentioned in my previous post, from a positional standpoint, a CB has the least amount of information to absorb on the defensive side of the ball. If he were an offensive player I think he'd have more of a challenge but I don't think it would be insurmountable. Remember, these guys have been looking at Xs and Os for most of their lives.

Whether or not he succeeds in pro ball will have less to do with his ability to take standardized tests and more to do with his innate football intelligence. There have been many pro football players that came out of college unable to read at all and ended up playing very well. James Brooks and Dexter Manley are two of the more prominent and well known examples. And Brooks was an RB that played in one of the most complex offenses ever designed under Don Coryell.

Personally, I think many cooking recipes are more complex than NFL playbooks. There have been countless cookbooks far thicker than NFL playbooks. Much more to memorize.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The maturity of a bunch of people in this thread is really embarrassing. Do alittle research in the circumstances of the Claiborne case before insulting him.

Grow the heck up people, some of you older people on this board are pretty darn incompetent and immature. Mo Claiborne has a known learning disability that has been known since he was a high school star. He received special help in reading and writing in both college and high school. That has not affected his play on the football field. He is a great character and a very talented CB.

Also, Great defensive backs such as Darrell Revis scored a 9 on the wonderlick test and look at his play. Sean Taylor scored a 10. Patrick Peterson scored a 9. You don't need to be a genius to play CB in the NFL.

Hall of Fame QB, Dan Marino scored a 14. Point is, I doubt many of these athletes care enough to seriously take the wonderlic test especially those who play positions where is doesn't really matter.

Lastly, all the so called adults that made your insulting remarks in this thread should be ashamed of yourselves. God forbid that you guys have a child with a learning disability. And God forbid any of you even have children, I can sense the moral lessons you teach your children. What a shame today's society is.

The maturity of a bunch of people in this thread is really embarrassing. Do alittle research in the circumstances of the Claiborne case before insulting him.

Grow the heck up people, some of you older people on this board are pretty darn incompetent and immature. Mo Claiborne has a known learning disability that has been known since he was a high school star. He received special help in reading and writing in both college and high school. That has not affected his play on the football field. He is a great character and a very talented CB.

Also, Great defensive backs such as Darrell Revis scored a 9 on the wonderlick test and look at his play. Sean Taylor scored a 10. Patrick Peterson scored a 9. You don't need to be a genius to play CB in the NFL.

Hall of Fame QB, Dan Marino scored a 14. Point is, I doubt many of these athletes care enough to seriously take the wonderlic test especially those who play positions where is doesn't really matter.

Lastly, all the so called adults that made your insulting remarks in this thread should be ashamed of yourselves. God forbid that you guys have a child with a learning disability. And God forbid any of you even have children, I can sense the moral lessons you teach your children. What a shame today's society is.

Excellent post. Most of the knuckle draggers dogging Claiborne in this thread probably would struggle to hit double digits on the wonderlic. The funniest part is that while these internet tough guys bash Claiborne, he's about to be a millionaire, while these guys will continue to make $15/hr.

Excellent post. Most of the knuckle draggers dogging Claiborne in this thread probably would struggle to hit double digits on the wonderlic. The funniest part is that while these internet tough guys bash Claiborne, he's about to be a millionaire, while these guys will continue to make $15/hr.

I would be happy with a 4 on the wonderlic and $15/hr.

and let's remeber it was his "writing" wrist that was injured !! :nana:

Indeed man, some people are pathetic.

Not out of the realm that a team in the in the back half of the top 10 leaked this to see him drop to them. This is a cut throat business and a race for talent. Claiborne has lots of skill at a highly coveted position.

Not out of the realm that a team in the in the back half of the top 10 leaked this to see him drop to them. This is a cut throat business and a race for talent. Claiborne has lots of skill at a highly coveted position.

Well whichever team leaked this information out should face a penalty from the NFL... since it is illegal to make test scores public of learning disabled people

In my opinion, people voicing concern about a pre-draft measurement of any kind is just fine. A player wouldn't be getting a free pass for a known physical disability on this board either. If they did 4 bench press reps, that would be a concern, because it's one of the few ways that we have to measure ability. If a player were assisted with their bench press in college, would they get a free pass for doing 4 reps at the combine because of a known physical deficiency?

There are concepts that need to be learned to succeed in a particular NFL defensive scheme. Maybe the wonderlic should be replaced by an abstract playbook style of testing. But for now, it's how player intelligence is gauged.

As far as I see it, Bills fans want to see their team win, and if that means commenting about what they see as red flags in this years draft class, so be it.

Of course I'd prefer the guy be smart but he has already proven he can play!!!!!!!!!

If he slips to 10 get ready for some

HONEY BADGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Bills

Claiborne isn't Honey Badger. That's Tyrann Mathieu.

In my opinion, people voicing concern about a pre-draft measurement of any kind is just fine. A player wouldn't be getting a free pass for a known physical disability on this board either. If they did 4 bench press reps, that would be a concern, because it's one of the few ways that we have to measure ability. If a player were assisted with their bench press in college, would they get a free pass for doing 4 reps at the combine because of a known physical deficiency?

There are concepts that need to be learned to succeed in a particular NFL defensive scheme. Maybe the wonderlic should be replaced by an abstract playbook style of testing. But for now, it's how player intelligence is gauged.

As far as I see it, Bills fans want to see their team win, and if that means commenting about what they see as red flags in this years draft class, so be it.

Read further into my comment instead of what you want it to read as. There is a bigger moral message to what I wrote. Anyone that participates or condones insulting people because of a learning disability should receive counseling themselves. This thread was created for the sole purpose of further insulting someone who has a known learning disability. The fact that mods allow this thread to still be open only shows how ethically and morally incorrect they are.

The "leaking" of this info on this kid will have zero impact on his draft position. Any GM who changes his draft score on a player on April 3rd based on a wonderlic is likely amonst the least intellignet GMs in history.

Also, is it even possible that any GM does not aready know that a possible top 10 pick has a learning disability.

This is all nonsense. The kid will be fine. (I'm leaving out the foolishness of drafting a CB in the top 10 for purposes of discussion of the OP).

Who cares?

He's a cornerback, not a QB or Center or MLB, who makes calls or adjustments.

As long as he runs a 4.4 and can cover the other teams best receiver, I'll take him on my team all day.

McKelvin has great physical gifts too, and no one expected him to fall to the Bills at #11. The reason he's not part of the Bills' long-term plans at starting CB is because he lacks good instincts. Getting a four on the Wonderlic does not necessarily mean Claiborne will fail for the same reason McKelvin failed. But it's a very significant cause for concern.

McKelvin has great physical gifts too, and no one expected him to fall to the Bills at #11. The reason he's not part of the Bills' long-term plans at starting CB is because he lacks good instincts. Getting a four on the Wonderlic does not necessarily mean Claiborne will fail for the same reason McKelvin failed. But it's a very significant cause for concern.

I couldn't have said it any better.

A learning disability that keeps him from reading but still high functioning in other areas is best case scenario, and seems to be what we have here. Hopefully.

I believe Honey Badger is the title given to the best DB at LSU. No offense but I think Claiborne earned that this year. I am sure Mathieu will be the Honey Badger next year. Who knows, maybe we'll end up with two on our roster.

Well whichever team leaked this information out should face a penalty from the NFL... since it is illegal to make test scores public of learning disabled people

The Wonderlic scores are supposed to be confidential by NFL policy but they still get leaked every year. Is there a federal law though on maintaining test score secrecy? If there was one, I doubt we would see these leaks.

You'll have to go back and read my post on page 1 or 2. Claiborne was the honey badger before the honey badger was the honey badger.

You can look it up if you want to. It was posted here a month or so ago.

That is just a silly comment.

vanderbilt is an amazing school

How's their FB team? Terrible.

Is the exception somehow the rule?

Heck UGA is considered one of the leading centers for the fight against Cancer.

How many "student athletes" are part of that center? :lol:

I can name more, but if you have someone who is fighting Cancer, you should eat your words quickly. The SEC has very prestigious universities.

They should, they bring in the most athletic money. When you bring in big money, you have more to throw around at other **** to make up for how !@#$ed up the athletic department and the education of "student athletes" really is.

Yes some of the football players and other big sports turn out guys that will never be doctors or lawyers. You could say the same thing about ACC, Big East, Big Ten and so on...

And I do. Penn State is my favorite whipping boy. The cover up that's been going on there for over a decade is just now seeing the light of day. It's too bad all the "journalists" in this country refuse to report what really goes on under the covers at these "prestigious" universities.

If the kid has a learning disablity then that says something.

It'll say even more if he ends up with a diploma from LSU. Though I really don't care and would be thrilled if the BILLS draft him because he can flat out ball. His football IQ looks to be off the charts, which is all I care about for a CB. If he was a QB, that would give me pause.

Marcel Dareus seems like a very well spoken intelligent person.

And?

Keep spreading stereo types that are long gone.

As unpalatable as it is, pretty much all stereotypes are based in truth.

I just tried to find an interview with Claiborne so I could see how well he speaks and was surprised to find absolutely nothing on youtube or through google... This kid is a Top 5 pick and there are no interviews of him? I wonder if the "Claiborne Camp" is keeping all of that stuff under wraps because it could hurt his draft stock..

I remember watching an interview of Leodis McKelvin after the bills drafted him and being like :doh:

Here's an interview with ESPN America:

He seems more with it than the interviewer.

Here's an interview with ESPN America:

youtube.com/watch?v=VliWDGJ101s

He seems more with it than the interviewer.

nice post. he seems aware of his surroundings, able to think on his feet. and a nice kid!

nice post. he seems aware of his surroundings, able to think on his feet. and a nice kid!

A lot of the interview sounded like he was giving prepackaged responses and standard-issue football cliches. Not that that makes his interview substantially different than 90+ % of the player or coach interviews which occur!

That said, I agree he sounded more intelligent than a 4 on the Wonderlic would imply.