Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

Hahahah. That Sizzler line was good.

You never know. People think the Bears are his choice bc of Peppers. That makes sense, but if the Bills give him 13/14m over 5-6 years with 40 million guaranteed...they're in the game. And you know what? I've long thought this would never happen, mainly because I didn't think A) the Bills could convince a high profile player to come to what has inarguably been a dysfunctional franchise over the past decade and B) I didn't think the Bills had any interest in ponying up the cash to get a high profile player.

But, with Buddy publicly stating he is looking to "make a big splash" and w/ recently re-signed players (you have to imagine the Bills desire to make major upgrades was a part of convincing SJ to stay in Buffalo) apparently buying in and actively tweeting high profile free agents (make no mistake, players don't tweet about pursuing players in FA if the team doesn't want them to)...I have to think they are serious. If for no other reason than, if the Bills come up empty handed, the fans are going to be like...what..the..fu...

Not to mention it being pretty cool that Buddy CLEARLY thinks the Bills are 1-2 players away from being contenders. Bring in Mario and our defense becomes solid - especially with a the decent DE depth in this year's draft. I love Kelsay being permanently back to having his hand on the ground in the 4-3. 1st round pick - especially if the Bills sign Winston, can be a top 10 WR.

hoping hoping....

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically youre not supposed to make contact with players yet.........so why would a dinner already be scheduled?

Technically Williams might have heard the Chop House is worth visiting and then runs into some Bills folks. Who knew? ;)

PTR

Honestly....I think what we should be doing are hard court pressing for free agents that are good that are REALISTIC.....

Mario aint signing here.....

Vincent Jackson is a possibility because of the connections with players and buddy Nix....and we have the cap money to sign him

We should be hard court pressing for Cameron Wimbley and Vincent Jackson....this will allow us to take a OT in the first and Vinney Curry in the second rounds.

couldnt agree more with this - I dont see any way in hell Mario signs with the Bills, just cant see it, maybe thats just because im a life long, jaded buffalo sports fan....but I could realistically see us overpaying Wimbley and Jackson...and im all for taking OT and then pass rushers in the draft (which is what Nix has all but gauranteed their strategy will be)

I am really getting my hopes up about Mario Williams coming here. I am not sure he will, but I am not convinced that he will not, like I have been about top level players in the past.

Getting Bell or Winston, McNeil, Nicks or another above average OL would be great too.

I really want Floyd from ND in the draft at 10 so, I'm hopeful we address the DE/Pass Rush and OL in FA by Friday.

Maybe, his agent has a "feeling" that Buffalo is going to make a strong push for him so they planned for him to be in B-lo. If the Bills are not serious, he can be in Chicago or justa bout anywhere else in 2 hours.

Sadly he could just be using the Bills to drive up the price. In fact if Williams visits the Bills first that is what is likely happening.

PTR

Not to mention it being pretty cool that Buddy CLEARLY thinks the Bills are 1-2 players away from being contenders. Bring in Mario and our defense becomes solid - especially with a the decent DE depth in this year's draft. I love Kelsay being permanently back to having his hand on the ground in the 4-3. 1st round pick - especially if the Bills sign Winston, can be a top 10 WR.

hoping hoping....

1-2 players and 6 to 10 less guys on IR.....

that was a great article made me laugh many times :worthy:

I fully expected to be pped (Peter-Panned) but that was indeed a worthy and funny read. The no-touch faucet shouldnt be on the list though, you dont want to know the amount of bacteria on faucet knobs (turn knob with dirty bacteria infectious deceases on your hand, wash, rinse, disinfect and turn the knob which is now infected and get dirty hands again, rinse, repeat).

All the jokes I expected have already made this thread, with the surprising exception of the Peter Pan dude.

But I'm cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: GODDAMMIT!

Edited by BRH

Sadly he could just be using the Bills to drive up the price. In fact if Williams visits the Bills first that is what is likely happening.

PTR

He is by far the best available UFA this year without anybody even close. He can name his price. He does not need to use the Bills or anyone else toe 'drive up the price'. That line of thinking is simply the Bills fan mentality that we can never have anything good happen for our team.

All the jokes I expected have already made this thread, with the surprising exception of the Peter Pan dude.

We love Randy.

He is by far the best available UFA this year without anybody even close. He can name his price. He does not need to use the Bills or anyone else toe 'drive up the price'. That line of thinking is simply the Bills fan mentality that we can never have anything good happen for our team.

But it doesn't hurt to say to a GM "I have $20M/yr on the table from Buffalo. How bad do you want my client?"

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Technically youre not supposed to make contact with players yet.........so why would a dinner already be scheduled?

Easy, seeing how the players are sending out recruitement tweets. Player(s) make dinnerdate, player to player info sharing is what it is about anyway (dollars aside).

Forgive me if this has been covered...how is it that Williams will be in Buffalo tonight for dinner, when no communication is even allowed before 4PM today?

Remember, Tom Donahoe had Jeff Posey signed at 12:01am, way back when.

Forgive me if this has been covered...how is it that Williams will be in Buffalo tonight for dinner, when no communication is even allowed before 4PM today?

Private jet waiting on the runway. 2 hour and 30 minute flight. Dinner time.....

Again - he has offers from every team. If he comes, there's a good chance. If he waits or plays games other teams with dollars will be forced to spend elsewhere. The bears can only afford so many elite playmakers too and if they think Mario is gone - then they spend on a WR. Suddenly one less team has cash available to sign him. Big dollar deals sign quickly. This isn't clabo who has tons of options and less of a hurry. 100m is a first visit type of deal.

You're smarter than this. There is all sorts of implied contact between agents and management.

didn't this happen years ago with haynesworth and the redskins? Any contact before the free agency period would be considered tampering imo. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have him on the team but I'd hate to see us lose a pick or cap space cause of this. If it were true the only way he would agree to have dinner here would be to tell his agent what the offer might be upfront.

A friend who isn't a fan and has no reason to care said a coworkers father makes the locker nameplates and he made one for Williams. Could be a cool thing I show him on his visit and probably all it is. And I never post this stuff so I'm just passing it on!

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves here but adding Williams makes this defense potentially frightening. There's a lot of questions, Kyle's foot, McGee's knee, Merriman's body etc. But if, and that's a HUGE if Merriman could come back to form and Kyle returns at full strength you could be looking at a front line of Kelsay/Dareus/Williams/Williams with an LB group of Merriman/Sheppard/Barnett. That creates a MASSIVE problem for your OL because you'd have to double team 3 of the 4 guys. If you apply this to say a matchup against NE that means that Gronk isn't out in every pattern because he'd have to stay in just to keep Brady alive.

If, and again that's a HUGE if, this defense were to play out the Bills would be sitting sweet on defense. Draft a WR and CB and we could be down right nasty.

Inside sources have confirmed this. Cannot disclose. Don't ask me because I cannot betray anyone's trust. You heard it here. Just thought this might get you guys excited.

If this is legit, I want to buy you a beer! :thumbsup:

Tears in my eyes from laughter here, I was thinking exactly the same thing and then checked out one of my browser tabs to find pp there, had to actually search back to see which one it was (pft one).

If the Bills ever make it back to the playoffs the entire TBD should come dressed as Peter Pan.