Wish the Bills shared Ozzie Newsome's philosophy

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2012/2/3/2767187/ravens-biggest-positional-need-heading-into-next-season

"One of the issues brought up and discussed was what the Ravens need to do from a personnel stand-point to get over the "hump" and into the Super Bowl. When this question was raised, Ozzie Newsome had this to say:

"I think you have to start with the offensive line. We were able to get 'Big Mac' [bryant McKinnie] in here late in August and get him to play. He played every snap on the offensive side of the ball, which is incredible. We are going to have to build on the offensive line. I think we will still build at the receiver spot. I think we'll work there. And, you don't ever have enough pass rushers. So, if that guy is there, we'll entertain that also."

I know the lack of a pass rush has been talked a lot this past season, but IMO, the pass rush should have been addressed years ago. With playing against one of the best QB's to every play the game (Brady) twice a season, the Bills should of had the exact philsophy as Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome ("And, you don't ever have enough pass rushers. So, if that guy is there, we'll entertain that also"). It has blown my mind that it has finally took this long for the lack of a pass rush to stick out like a sore thumb to Bills management/coaches.

Schobel was a good pass rusher, but the Bills needed more guys to compliment him. Kelsay is a very hard working player and will play any position the coaches will ask of him, but he's not even an average pass rusher. Jauron wanted Maybin and convinced the Bills FO to take him, because of his quick first step. IMO, Maybin only had 1 good year in college and was too small to play DE. IMO, the last good set of OLB's the Bills had were Angelo Crowell and Takeo Spikes.

IMO, I think Dareus & K. Williams have the potential to be the best DT tandem in the league. But, if the Bills want to beat the Patriots and win the division, then they need 2 DE's and two OLB's that can get consistent pressure on the QB.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I would not at all count on KW. He could end up being Merriman 2.0

Kyle Williams had surgery to remove a bone spur (that he played through his entire college career) that was cutting into his achillies tendon. It's not like he ruptured his achillies or had similar problems like Merriman has.

The difference between Ozzie Newsome making this statement and Buddy Nix is clear. One is an outstanding talent evaluator who has an owner, Steve Bisciotti, who'll back him up. The latter is an average at best talent evaluator with an absent owner who's delegated responsibility to bean counters.

Cue a Lee Evans criticism of Newsome, but ON drafts a heck of a lot better than Nix ever will. That, and he doesn't flip flop his defenses every 2 years.

Kyle Williams had surgery to remove a bone spur (that he played through his entire college career) that was cutting into his achillies tendon. It's not like he ruptured his achillies or had similar problems like Merriman has.

I agree completely with this. I don't understand why everyone has been so down on Kyle Williams the past few months. Everyone keeps saying he took the money and ran, and now he won't do anything now that he got paid. That's just stupid. He had a bone spur that was making it difficult to walk, let alone play, yet he was out there doing the best he could through the pain for almost half a year before the coaches put him on IR. That tells me he's INCREDIBLY motivated, not that he's not motivated at all. I guarantee, he will be back to his normal form next year and everyone that's suddenly been so down on him this year will be acting like they never thought he was anything less than great.

I agree completely with this. I don't understand why everyone has been so down on Kyle Williams the past few months. Everyone keeps saying he took the money and ran, and now he won't do anything now that he got paid. That's just stupid. He had a bone spur that was making it difficult to walk, let alone play, yet he was out there doing the best he could through the pain for almost half a year before the coaches put him on IR. That tells me he's INCREDIBLY motivated, not that he's not motivated at all. I guarantee, he will be back to his normal form next year and everyone that's suddenly been so down on him this year will be acting like they never thought he was anything less than great.

I'm gonna give you a little tip to help you along as a member on this board, most of those comments/posts about williams are started by a poster who eats crayonz, he is not a serious poster and comments like that are part of his persona

The difference between Ozzie Newsome making this statement and Buddy Nix is clear. One is an outstanding talent evaluator who has an owner, Steve Bisciotti, who'll back him up. The latter is an average at best talent evaluator with an absent owner who's delegated responsibility to bean counters.

Cue a Lee Evans criticism of Newsome, but ON drafts a heck of a lot better than Nix ever will. That, and he doesn't flip flop his defenses every 2 years.

I think nix earned another draft to evaluate his talent judgement. Mordak was still in the mix in 2010 draft and while that draft class was "meh", 2011's proved to be a good one.

I say let 2012 break the tie. Hopefully continue momentum in the right direction.

unfortunately the Bills philsophy has been you cant have enough corners

+1. If you give me dominance at Oline and pass pushers, it's a good team no matter what the rest of the team looks like. Now...you need a few playmakers to get you far into the playoffs, but I think the Harbaugh template of teams is timeless....and weather proof.

+2. Even Boss Hogg stated "You should draft 1 or 2 corners every year". Wrong philosophy IMO. If you have a great pass rush, then you don't need to have a great secondary. If the opposing QB has all day long in the pocket to make a pass, eventually someone on offense will get open (as we've seen from the Bills for years now).

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Has Ozzie Newsome ever drafted a wide receiver worth a damn?

I know we're all sick and tired of hearing this word, but patience is the key, especially this year, with a change in defensive philosophy.

Negative, if the change in defensive philosophy brings on a call for patience then they shouldn't be making the change (or have made the change in the first place). This is year 3, their stuff should be in order by now, patience is out the window.

I'm gonna give you a little tip to help you along as a member on this board, most of those comments/posts about williams are started by a poster who eats crayonz, he is not a serious poster and comments like that are part of his persona

crayons are non-toxic to "use"......eating them ?

I wrote this pretty much bashing the organization as a whole for the past 10 years. Even though the last time the Bills had a great defense was under Donahoe (by bringing in Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes and London Fletcher), he failed to resign Pat Williams and let Dick LeBeau go. I would have loved it if the Bills kept LeBeau as their DC.

Marv Levy hired Jauron and let Jauron have his way with the defense the Bills ran and most of the draft picks. The Tampon 2 defense sucked. Smaller, faster players on defense only work in warm weather cities or cities with domes. Levy got rid of Fletcher & Spikes, drafted Whitner over Ngata. Jauron sold the Bills FO on Maybin, and Brandon drafted Maybin over Orakpo/Matthews/Oher.

While Boss Hogg & Cooter have been working on the interior of the D-line (because they sucked against the run), they have failed to address the pass rush (as of yet). The Merriman experiment has been failing miserably so far. I expect the Bills to add 2 pass rushers, but IMO, that is not going to be enough.

I hear you on the KW thing, but Merriman says his problem was not a rupture or complete tear either. I think he said it was stretched, but not torn or ruptured. So I'm hopeful that he comes back healthy too. The medical staff seems to think so.

:thumbsup:

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2012/2/3/2767187/ravens-biggest-positional-need-heading-into-next-season

"One of the issues brought up and discussed was what the Ravens need to do from a personnel stand-point to get over the "hump" and into the Super Bowl. When this question was raised, Ozzie Newsome had this to say:

"I think you have to start with the offensive line. We were able to get 'Big Mac' [bryant McKinnie] in here late in August and get him to play. He played every snap on the offensive side of the ball, which is incredible. We are going to have to build on the offensive line. I think we will still build at the receiver spot. I think we'll work there. And, you don't ever have enough pass rushers. So, if that guy is there, we'll entertain that also."

I know the lack of a pass rush has been talked a lot this past season, but IMO, the pass rush should have been addressed years ago. With playing against one of the best QB's to every play the game (Brady) twice a season, the Bills should of had the exact philsophy as Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome ("And, you don't ever have enough pass rushers. So, if that guy is there, we'll entertain that also"). It has blown my mind that it has finally took this long for the lack of a pass rush to stick out like a sore thumb to Bills management/coaches.

Schobel was a good pass rusher, but the Bills needed more guys to compliment him. Kelsay is a very hard working player and will play any position the coaches will ask of him, but he's not even an average pass rusher. Jauron wanted Maybin and convinced the Bills FO to take him, because of his quick first step. IMO, Maybin only had 1 good year in college and was too small to play DE. IMO, the last good set of OLB's the Bills had were Angelo Crowell and Takeo Spikes.

IMO, I think Dareus & K. Williams have the potential to be the best DT tandem in the league. But, if the Bills want to beat the Patriots and win the division, then they need 2 DE's and two OLB's that can get consistent pressure on the QB.

I still get upset knowing that the Bills drafted Whitner allowing the Ravens to take Ngata. Bonehead organization making nonsensical decisions. :wallbash:

I think nix earned another draft to evaluate his talent judgement. Mordak was still in the mix in 2010 draft and while that draft class was "meh", 2011's proved to be a good one.

I say let 2012 break the tie. Hopefully continue momentum in the right direction.

The problem Nix has, aside from being undercut by cap guys Littmann and Overdork, is that he hasn't put together a vision for what this team is going to be. Buffalo hasn't spent in UFA for years, so their drafts have to be outstanding and a 2010 "meh" draft means they'll be rebuilding in perpetuity.

And if he didn't know Modrak was garbage in 2010 after working there since early 2009, then he's not the "top 5 talent evaluator" a lot of people claim he is.

Has Buddy Nix ever built a team? Ozzie Newsome built one from the ground floor.

You sir, are full of crap.

You have no idea how Nix is as a talent evaluator. You have no pedigree to judge him. And you've never worked in any FO. You're just some angry fan with a keyboard and a DSL connection.

The problem Nix has...is that he hasn't put together a vision for what this team is going to be.

It's quite obvious that Buddy and Chan are putting together a team that is stronger, bigger and more physical. I guess Buddy forgot to put you on speed dial when formulating his plan.

Has Buddy Nix ever built a team? Ozzie Newsome built one from the ground floor.

He seemed to do ok with the Chargers. Or, are you going to say that was all AJ Smith? Predictably, probably so.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Well if we started retaining and paying our probowl talent other than Schobel and Kyle Williams we might be able to address the gaping holes at pass rusher instead of drafting probowl RB after probowl RB only to run them out of town. Maybe if we had pass rushers we wouldn't need to draft a 1st round DB every 2 or 3 years.

Well if we started retaining and paying our probowl talent other than Schobel and Kyle Williams we might be able to address the gaping holes at pass rusher instead of drafting probowl RB after probowl RB only to run them out of town. Maybe if we had pass rushers we wouldn't need to draft a 1st round DB every 2 or 3 years.

I agree. The Bills have wasted too many 1st round draft picks on RB's & CB's, and let good defensive players like Pat Williams, London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes go.

You sir, are full of crap.

You have no idea how Nix is as a talent evaluator. You have no pedigree to judge him. And you've never worked in any FO. You're just some angry fan with a keyboard and a DSL connection.

The old fall back "you've never worked in the NFL, ergo, you know nothing" response. How original. His 2010 draft and UFA signings tell a big story, as well as that pesky 10-22 record since taking over as GM.

It's quite obvious that Buddy and Chan are putting together a team that is stronger, bigger and more physical. I guess Buddy forgot to put you on speed dial when formulating his plan.

Really? Because the Bills just promoted Dave Wannstedt to be DC, and his 4-3 Over defense calls for smaller quicker players. Quite the opposite they were looking for when Nix authoritatively went to a 3-4 back in 2010. There's another indication their vision isn't quite you make it out to be.

He seemed to do ok with the Chargers. Or, are you going to say that was all AJ Smith? Predictably, probably so.

Nix was Pro Personnel Director and didn't work from San Diego, choosing to remain in Tennessee during most of the year. I would ask you to review the 2006-08 drafts which were either average or mediocre.

I would not at all count on KW. He could end up being Merriman 2.0

Why, because he had a bone spur? until this year he hasn't been hurt and the surgery relieved any Achilles problem that hadn't even developed. KW will be fine and better than ever.

I know we're all sick and tired of hearing this word, but patience is the key, especially this year, with a change in defensive philosophy.

Thanks <_<

Actually don't think it will that big of a deal cuz we never really switched to a 43 anyway, get a DE and a SSLB and were all set.

+3 You want to help the secondary, get some guys who can bring some heat. I dont see Merriman the answer in a 4-3, Carrington and Dwan dont seem like 4-3 ends and Kelsay will be or is 33. I say get 2 DEs in the draft early. The Steelers have been in 3 superbowls fairly recently, all without any shutdown or even a probowl corner.

Kyle got his big contract and is in semi-retirement for the time being. Hopefully he will want to play again, but you can never tell.

Why, because he had a bone spur? until this year he hasn't been hurt and the surgery relieved any Achilles problem that hadn't even developed. KW will be fine and better than ever.

People act like Merriman's achilles exploded or something. Not hardly.

Merriman's achilles problem was just a strain and it has cost him, well basically the last two seasons. OHHHH...but last January Merriman said the Bills had found the problem with his achilles and it was going to be fine. The previous year he had a painful foot injury that he was able to play thru. Sound familiar?

Big players and foot injuries are bad news. Surgically repairing knee ligaments has proven to be a much less complicated recovery. If Williams has any achilles damage at all he could end up on the sidelines with Merriman again, and even if he doesn't he now has a a surgically repaired foot he has to push his 300# frame with.

Edited by Dick Drawn

Hmmm? Just wondering, do you have an opinion about this?

Negative, if the change in defensive philosophy brings on a call for patience then they shouldn't be making the change (or have made the change in the first place). This is year 3, their stuff should be in order by now, patience is out the window.

Year 3 of Chan Gailey, but Year 1 of Dave Wannestadt.

:D :D :D

That's good. Yeah, patience. I mean, what's 10 years without a playoff birth... :bag:

The roster we have is not a playoff quality roster. Can we get there in one more year?

They found a good rookie this year, but still - does ti matter? The Ravens have been a steller team for 10 years. WR is a horribly over rated position. Besides, he was able to trade a 2nd round pick for one of the best WRs in the league in Bolden.

I still get upset knowing that the Bills drafted Whitner allowing the Ravens to take Ngata. Bonehead organization making nonsensical decisions. :wallbash:

The 2006 draft was one of the best in recent memory too imo. Bills fans are still paying the price for what Levy/Jauron did to this team in 2006.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Even if the Bills hadn't taken Whitner at 8, there was no guarantee that Ngata would be the pick there. It was widely reported both Winston Justice, and Broderick Bunkley, were in play for the Bills at 8th overall that year.

The old fall back "you've never worked in the NFL, ergo, you know nothing" response. How original. His 2010 draft and UFA signings tell a big story, as well as that pesky 10-22 record since taking over as GM.

Really? Because the Bills just promoted Dave Wannstedt to be DC, and his 4-3 Over defense calls for smaller quicker players. Quite the opposite they were looking for when Nix authoritatively went to a 3-4 back in 2010. There's another indication their vision isn't quite you make it out to be.

Nix was Pro Personnel Director and didn't work from San Diego, choosing to remain in Tennessee during most of the year. I would ask you to review the 2006-08 drafts which were either average or mediocre.

Yes, but look at how many Super Bowls he won in San Diego???

Ozzie's draft record is weak, like Belichicks. Their team's major players are mostly FA pickups or good DT's that dropped to them that never should have (Wilfork, Ngata) Those guys were obvious picks where they were drafted, not a result of scouting acumen or philosophy.

Our GM said he will draft a pass rusher or two and an OT this year. If that's Ozzie's brilliant philosophy reveleation we can all rest assured we're following in the steps of the master.