Jerry Sullivan says: This Roster is a crumbling

papazoid

You tend to be far more level headed in these kind of threads, so I'll ask you specifically. Do you even read his stuff anymore? If so, why? I will never understand why people complain about him and the radio guys so much yet continue to read/listen. Then there are the others who clearly don't read/listen but complain anyway.

I havent clicked on the article that this thread is about because I refuse to give him numbers on his website. Just like I refuse to listen to WGR. I probably havent read a Sully article directly from his site in over a year. Im a big supporter of "If you dont like something, ignore it and take it's power away". I agree with you that everyone who hates on him should not read him. Just like I stopped going to Pat Moran's twitter page and website that day because when it's all said and done, if he can show his boss he generated thousands of hits, its a success, even though he's a chump.

So on one hand, I'm bashing Sully without really knowing exactly what he is saying. But on the other hand, he hasnt changed his tune in years, so I think it's a pretty safe assumption on my part. I read enough through the OP to know it's the same old song out of Sullivan.

It's damned if you do, damned if you dont, when it comes to reading Sully. Just like Buddy is damned if he does, and damned if he doesnt when it comes to acquiring/releasing players.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This roster is a crumbling monument to neglect and bad personnel moves. A decade of weak drafts and frugal ownership has left the Bills with a roster that’s sorely lacking in established players in their professional primes. The Bills have very little to show for their drafts in the mid-2000s.

Lee Evans was the last of the ’04 class to go (George Wilson was undrafted). Roscoe Parrish is the only player left from ’05, Kyle Williams the last man standing from ’06. The entire ’07 draft class has departed. It’s close to a lost generation of young talent.

Four position players on this roster have started 30 games in a Buffalo uniform. Kelsay has stared 104, McGee 84, Williams 73. Then it drops down to that grizzled old vet, Andy Levitre, with 32. People talk about the Bills rebuilding. You can’t rebuild something that wasn’t constructed in the first place.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article548934.ece

the lee evans was moved for money is so stupid. if oyu wanted to save money, cut him before the roster bonus of $1mil kicked in. he should be on WGR with those a$$ clowns. he doesn't deserve to consider himself a jounralist, that would require actual reporting and research.

The Steelers didn't cut Heinz Ward because he runs all the patterns and is one of the elite blocking wideouts in the league. Lee Evans did neither well. Why come here if you hate the Bills so much, you must enjoy playing devil's advocate and annoying fans who want to wait to at least the first game before we label this team as terrible.

Wow, down boy. I in fact am a Bills fan and I don't hate the Bills at all. I'm not playing devil's advocate. Why do people like you come here to "discuss" the Bills when all you do is serve as a mouthpiece for this dysfunctional front office. Please explain how trading Evans for a 4th round pick (who have historically performed poorly for the Bills), then brining in a journeyman FA WR is helping this team?! I'm not labeling the team as terrible, what I am doing is labeling the roster moves to this point as terrible. That's what you do in pre-season, discuss the moves and whether you think they are good or not. If you want to wait until after the 1st game, then leave the board until then.

I agree.

But what does this have to do with the Evans trade?

What was he top of again?

When Johnson is double-teamed this year you'll see how much he's missed. Also, perhaps upgrading the QB position would have helped Evans game. Fitz cannot throw down the field. If we get a QB who can next year, then we are indeed missing a top WR. Enjoy watching him tear it up for Balt.

So you are saying you "rebuild" by sticking with the mediocre guys who've accomplished nothing? You can't B word about the Bills needing to rebuild then piss and moan when they make a change.

PTR

What change did they make that was HELPFUL exactly this offseason? Cut one of your best (even if "average") players for a 4th round draft pick? Name an impact 4th round player from the last decade the Bills drafted? Lee took a ton of attention away from Johnson last year. Watch what he does with a real QB.

Wow, down boy. I in fact am a Bills fan and I don't hate the Bills at all. I'm not playing devil's advocate. Why do people like you come here to "discuss" the Bills when all you do is serve as a mouthpiece for this dysfunctional front office. Please explain how trading Evans for a 4th round pick (who have historically performed poorly for the Bills), then brining in a journeyman FA WR is helping this team?! I'm not labeling the team as terrible, what I am doing is labeling the roster moves to this point as terrible. That's what you do in pre-season, discuss the moves and whether you think they are good or not. If you want to wait until after the 1st game, then leave the board until then.

If the down boy is a dog reference, it is a collie, not colie. Considering Buddy Nix has had only two drafts, I don't see how relevant your point is with regard to 4th round picks who have historically performed poorly. Last years 4th was Marcus Easley, who has shown potential and this year he selected Searcy and Hairston, neither have looked bad and could be important parts of the team in the near future.

I just don't value Lee Evans as much as you do. I think Gailey wants his players to do things his way and he may have used Evans as an example of what happens if you don't block downfield or run underneath routes. I think with our line in it's current shape wouldn't provide Fitzpatrick the time for deep patterns to develop, which Lee excelled at. For this offense, I can see how Donald Jones, who is a bigger body and aggressive blocker, would be a better fit.

I am new to the board, so I apologize for questioning your loyalties, discussion is a good thing.

Edited by Colie

When Johnson is double-teamed this year you'll see how much he's missed. Also, perhaps upgrading the QB position would have helped Evans game. Fitz cannot throw down the field. If we get a QB who can next year, then we are indeed missing a top WR. Enjoy watching him tear it up for Balt.

What change did they make that was HELPFUL exactly this offseason? Cut one of your best (even if "average") players for a 4th round draft pick? Name an impact 4th round player from the last decade the Bills drafted? Lee took a ton of attention away from Johnson last year. Watch what he does with a real QB.

Are you willing to wager that both Johnson and Fitz are more productive this year sans Evans?

Clearly, JS once again hit some nerves. On this one I happen to agree with most of what he said. There can be no denial from the results that the Music City Miracle launched a lost decade for the team. I believe the current regime is turning things around but the situation they inherited was a disaster. No need to rehash the sad saga here

The roster speaks for itself. Nix and Gailey were left very little talent to work with. Chan has done a nice job making something out of little on the offensive side of the ball. We will see what happens with the D over the next few weeks.

It's year two in the rebuild, I think this roster is twice as good as it was at this point last year. Maybe more.

QB 3x as good, counting Brad Smith.

RB Equally as good. The three headed monster was a failure. CJ is no longer a rookie. Freddy more time without Marshawn.

WR Less good, but tough one. Big loss of Evans. SJ is way better than this time last year, D Nelson way better. Easley back. Jones way better because of experience.

TE Significantly better with Chandler than Stupar.

OL Significantly better considering that Bell and Wood are healthy. Levitre the same. Pears better than Green. Urbik somewhat of a wash with hangartner is just wasn't very good.

DL 3x as good with Dareus as well as a bigger Carrington and a season under their belt in the scheme.

LB 3x as good with healthy Merriman, Barnett, Morrison, a healthy Davis, Sheppard and the Carrington experiment. 10x if Merriman is back, which he is.

DB equally as good with loss of Whitner maybe a gain depending on the play of Wilson, A Williams far better than Corner.

The second year in a scheme is an enormous advantage. Wanny is a big help. The QB you're starting getting all the starting reps is a big help. Gailey knowing his players after a year is a big help. We are a much bigger, nastier, smarter, more firey, emotional roster across the board. This team, as is, IMO, would go 12-4 against last years team considering the second year of the system.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

here's the biggest kick i get out of this.

Jerry writes something. people agree and disagree with it. and within hours -- hours i tell you -- it's a five, going on six-page thread on TSW.

i'm sure it'll get to 10 before long.

it's kind of like the standard line we in this business sometimes get from coaches and players, who insist they don't read the papers. and yet, they're able to note somehow word for word what someone wrote.

it's interesting. long may we live.

jw

I can't believe this thread is so long. I only read the first page and have come to this conclusion: There are the billsfreak's of the world who only see progress in wins and losses, and there are the more thoughtful posters like PTR who can see the big picture. As I have stated in other posts, the team is clearly headed in the right direction. If we finish with the same record as last year, and the offense finishes 25th again(which I doubt it will be any worse than 20th, give Fitz the first three games last year we finish 23 or so instead of 25) and the defense does not give up 7000 yards on the ground, it means we are headed in the right direction. Fast enough? poop no, but what is fast enough? playoffs last year? even then the nancies of the board would be hatin'.

Sully and at least Schoop need to both on the next barrel out of town if you catch my drift. JK all you sensitive types.

First of all...please shoot me!! This regurgitated turd of an article has gotten soooooo old! If I actually cared to take the time, I bet I could find 10 more, written by this shmuck, which follows it verbatim...with the exception of inserting a different name here and there. God, at first glance, you would think he was new to Buffalo!

Anyway, and I can't believe I'm about to say this, but this is no stretch of the truth...he may be a little off here and there, but is generally on the money.

#1 - This isn't a "crumbling monument," it was a pile of rubble when the latest of regimes came through the turn style. Last year, they cleared the lot, so to speak, and got rid of some boulders.

#2 - I completely disagree that the franchise is still on the slide! Clearing the lot, a mentioned in #1, was the first step to rebuilding. The second step, after they had an idea of what pieces of the foundation were missing, is to fill in the holes & cracks. IMHO, a great defense is the foundation to any successful NFL franchise, any good team for that matter! So far so good, but we have a whole season to go b4 we can say it's stable.

#3 - If they follow suit and address the O next year we'll have the frame work for a sturdy first level. Again, another year is needed to work out the kinks, and to settle in.

That, my friends, is how a rebuilding franchise operates...some may flip flop 2&3, but that's a matter of preference.

The statement that we are lacking players in the prime of their careers is also false. We may be lacking franchise veterans, as he pointed out with only 4 guys with > 30 games in a Bills uni, but I don't care that Merrimen hasn't played a snap yet, he's still a vet and at the age, for his position, of a player in his prime. Injuries, and personal issues aside, he's young enough to play catch up while currently being one of the best on the field. And what about Barnett, Morrison, Edwards, Johnson, Davis, Florence & Scott? And that's just the D. I'm not claiming that any of them are elite players, but they ARE, in fact, at the point of their careers where they should be playing their best football.

The offensive side is a bit more difficult, but as I mentioned b4, it hasn't been focused on as of yet. Though young and green with Fitz, McIntyre, Jackson & Parrish, we have a solid core of leadership.

On to Lee Evans...I love Lee, but I see him exactly as he is...one dimensional! Even that corpse, Jauron, tried to get ore out of him with crossing patterns and underneath routes. Fact of the matter is, his skill set will not be utilized in this offense. I think they did him a favor! I’m not saying he's not good, he is at what he does, and he's in a system now that he'll find much more success. Baltimore has the best "in traffic" receiver in the NFL with Boldin...now they have a deep threat and defenses won't be able to double team either of them because of the match up problems a 1 & 2 like that present.

Admittedly, I don't like Sully, but this isn't a bash session...I'm simply stating what he so willingly neglects to mention about the positive direction the Bills are finally headed in.

Flame away!!

Come on. What are the odds of all those kids being busts? How could all of those first-rounders not be Bills material after short stints with the team? Here's a hint: MAYBE IT WASN'T THEM. -Not all of them, anyway. Bills management, and coaching staff has been sub-standard for well over a decade. Firing everyone a few years ago was a much needed re-start. The system currently in place from Nix, to Overdork, all the way down to the waterboy, is what's under construction IMHO. Get that part together, and I think the rest will follow.

Edited by #34fan

That's right. Sully is an idiot. Everything has been going well the past decade. They have made all the right draft picks, acquired the right FA's, and spent to the cap in an attempt to put forth a winning team that has gone to multiple Super Bowls and won two. Oh wait, sorry, I was talking about the Steelers and what a winning team does. I guess Sully might be rigth after all. How anyone with a sane mind can defend what the Bills do is laughable. Did the Steelers trade Heinz Ward because he was "holding back the development" of Sanders and Brown. No, they kept him around because he still has value, is relatively inexpensive, and can help the young guys out. The trade of Evans was a money-saving joke, just as cutting Handgardner was.

It's Hines Ward not Heinz Ward.

It's Hangartner not Handgardner

just saying

to add to that your comparing a potential and very likely HOFer in HINES WARD for a sub standard Lee Evans. A starting and questionable number 1 WR that has NEVER caught more than 10 TDs, the same Lee Evans that has had his production completely destroyed in the last 2 seasons, the same Lee Evans that is over 30 years old and missed the first game of his career to injury last year? He's getting old, slow, beat up, and starting to wear down and that's not even bringing up the fact that he's never been a dominant number 1 with Stevie, Owens, Parrish, Reed or anyone else lined up next to him.

Thats all besides the point though. The fact is that this coaching staff and GM is only 2 years in and what they are doing is getting rid of the average (but highly loved) players like Poz, Evans, Whitner (ok maybe not Whitner) and replacing them with REAL football players. Evans was the posterboy for what this team has been in the last 10 years. Loved by fans but too small to play at the level we needed him to. A sub 6 foot rciever in this league is a joke. There aren't too many good ones. One can argue Desean Jackson but that's with a stud QB, Team, Coaching staff around him. What Nix and Gailey are building will be players that are big and dominating regardless of scheme.

If you believe it or not, either way it's much more fun to watch this team and look at the good and hope for progression vs hating them every chance you get. So if you want to hate just go watch a Pats or Steelers game and shut your mouth.

People of Buffalo:

Round up as many copies of this article as you can.

Cut them out of the paper.

Find out where Sullivan lives.

Sunday, after we beat the Chiefs, visit him home in the middle of the night.

Then cover--and I do mean cover--every inch of his car with his own words.

That'll be a nice surprise for him on Monday morning.

That just gives him sales. The mouth breathers who get off on every article he writes because he says something they want to hear are already doing enough to prolong his tenure as a reporter.

That just gives him sales. The mouth breathers who get off on every article he writes because he says something they want to hear are already doing enough to prolong his tenure as a reporter.

You mean the same people that launch off into hour long diatribes each time someone says something that's even remotely anti-Buffalo? The inferiority/persecution complex among the people of this town has no limits.

People of Buffalo:

Round up as many copies of this article as you can.

Cut them out of the paper.

Find out where Sullivan lives.

Sunday, after we beat the Chiefs, visit him home in the middle of the night.

Then cover--and I do mean cover--every inch of his car with his own words.

That'll be a nice surprise for him on Monday morning.

A bigger surprise would be if he parked his car outside & not in a garage like most homeowners.

You mean the same people that launch off into hour long diatribes each time someone says something that's even remotely anti-Buffalo? The inferiority/persecution complex among the people of this town has no limits.

no, we are referring to the people (like you i presume) who say only negative things and refuse to see any positives with their own team or town.

A bigger surprise would be if he parked his car outside & not in a garage like most homeowners.

Really, most home owners? I grew up in WNY, and most people i knew/saw used their garage for storage. Most would be well over 50% and that is definitely not the case. Maybe in your fancy subdivision it is true though. I must be really not looking forward to my homework when i see myself responding to comments like these.

no, we are referring to the people (like you i presume) who say only negative things and refuse to see any positives with their own team or town.

Really, most home owners? I grew up in WNY, and most people i knew/saw used their garage for storage. Most would be well over 50% and that is definitely not the case. Maybe in your fancy subdivision it is true though. I must be really not looking forward to my homework when i see myself responding to comments like these.

Quite the assumption there.

How about the fact that they have attempted to fix the defense by bringing in better players and the D have showed in the preseason that it should be improved? If you can't be optimistic right before opening day, what the hell else do you have? Some of you here are so miserable it is really sad.

WE'RE MISERABLE???? TRY "WE HAVE A MISERABLE FOOTBALL TEAM; ESPECIALLY THE FRONT OFFICE"....

The one thing I just don't get is...the Bills can only draft 7 players a year and if outta those they find 3 starters out of 22, and every 4-5 years players can become free agents I just don't see how a team can be built with just draft picks like Nix wants.

First of all, I've been making this same argument for weeks now. Nobody around here has the kahones to answer the question. But you left out one thing. HOW MANY SEASONS HAVE THE BILLS BEN ABLE TO DRAFT 3 NFL CALIBER STARTERS IN ONE OFFSEASON?

Bills are still 0-0 but apparently you have a crystal ball and know they are going to lose every game. You need to get to Vegas.

PTR

BILLS ARE 0-0.... Yeah, and so are all 32 NFL teams... Big F***kin Deal....

AND BESIDES YOURSELF, WHO ELSE HAS SAID THE BILLS ARE GOING TO GO 0-16???

SO TAKE THAT CRYSTAL BALL, TURN IT SIDEWAYS(OR ANY OTHER WAY), AND .....

BY THE WAY, JUST FOR THE RECORD, YOUR PREDICTION FOR THE BILLS SEASON IS????

BILLS ARE 0-0.... Yeah, and so are all 32 NFL teams... Big F***kin Deal....

AND BESIDES YOURSELF, WHO ELSE HAS SAID THE BILLS ARE GOING TO GO 0-16???

SO TAKE THAT CRYSTAL BALL, TURN IT SIDEWAYS(OR ANY OTHER WAY), AND .....

BY THE WAY, JUST FOR THE RECORD, YOUR PREDICTION FOR THE BILLS SEASON IS????

Why are you yelling?

PTR

First of all, I've been making this same argument for weeks now. Nobody around here has the kahones to answer the question. But you left out one thing. HOW MANY SEASONS HAVE THE BILLS BEN ABLE TO DRAFT 3 NFL CALIBER STARTERS IN ONE OFFSEASON?

How did the Packers do it? How did the Steelers do it? How did the Pats do it?

Heck, even the JETS built their foundation through the draft which allowed them to be very active in the last 2 FA periods.

You make good picks and RE-SIGN your good players (like extending Williams, and working on extending Stevie). And then after you have your core of drafted players, you can supplement via free agency.

Also, this term "starter" is incredibly overvalued. It's the NFL, players rotate in all the time. Just because a guy isn't a "starter" doesnt mean he wont get 20+ snaps a game. Building a winning team doesnt mean you just get starters, it means you also have quality depth. So if guys like Troupe dont end up beating out (pro-bowler) Kyle Williams, it doesnt necessarily mean he is bad, it means we have some depth there.

But I understand, you feel like you would be capable of turning over an entire roster, and coaching staff, and Front Office, and making a playoff run in one year... :rolleyes:

Edited by DrDareustein

Well, I deduced from your posts that you are more on the negative, maybe a buddy of sully, maybe something else. if i'm wrong, sorry. BTW, that's why i used parenthesis.

I just get sick of all the whining about the media. This is exactly the response they're looking for and you (not you specifically) continue to give it to them over and over.

edit: And by the way, this one from Sullivan seemed ridiculously tame. This whole thread comes across to me as a "hey look, someone mentioned Sullivan, let's complain" event.

Edited by shrader

Jerry ripped on Lee Evans - now when we trade him it's an awful move. Whitner and Poz to him were wasted picks- they are gone and now we'll miss them. On one hand we were the worst defense in the league last year, on the other we should have kept those crappy players. Which is it Sullivan- answer: Which ever fits the column on that day

Evans was called out by Chan at the end of last season and again during the off season, he doesn't have any interest in running the routes Chan prefers in the passing game. That's why he was traded

Jerry likes to argue and switches sides is easy to him. Patriots drafting the last 4 years is worse than ours, but don't mention that and he wont'. Dallas is so screwed up on salary they have to start two rookie lineman, but don't mention that and he won't.

He's paid to move the needle on radio or sell papers, not to be liked. I he has to change his position on things okay, if he has to write a column that isn't that way he really feels that's okay too. The newspapers are closing their doors all over the nation, at this point it's anything to survive

Jerry tells it like it is, he's not a homer who is afraid to criticize team management, and for that he's a refreshing realist. For those who think the current management isn't part of the problem, consider who they drafted last year compared to who they could have drafted.

Round 1 CJ Spiller. Players drafted after him in the 1st round at offensive line, a need position, included Anthony Davis, Maurkice Pouncey, Bryan Bulaga, and Roger Saffold; all starters this year. Instead Nix drafts a RB when we already had 2 starting RBs.

Round 2 Torell Troup. TE Rob Gronkowski was drafted after him. They haven't had a solid TE since Metzalaars.

Round 3 Alex Carrington. QB Colt McCoy was drafted after him.

So ask yourself, going into this season would you rather have Spiller, Troup, and Carrington, or one of those linemen, Gronkowski, and McCoy (which all play need positions). That would be a solid trio of offensive players who could all be starting this year, and instead they have 3 backups / underachievers.

Sully is what happens when the people that are supposed to cover the team have no access. Seriously, he is the most negative !@#$ around. He has not real insight, only refried ****.

The other issue with Sully is that he's been around so long, that others in the area look to him as an inspiration. Schopp is a good example. He has Sully on and they get all snarky together, and trash the Bills. This is why there will never be a change in he media, and the fans that read/listen to their ****. If you are smart enough to think for yourself, you don't need Jerry or anybody else to tell you it's been a rough going.

If this team starts to turn it around, Sully will be hoping for them to screw up, because that is where he gets his enjoyment. He is a negative prick, and he wants everybody else to be a negative prick.

To be "doom and gloom" about your football team has nothing to do with being a realist. I know that hurts a few asses around here, but it is the fact. It is crazy to think that being a negative, miserable prick over a game makes you some sort of realist. This is a game for entertainment, and if you can't enjoy it, then you should stop watching. People like Sully at least get paid for their reaction, which is unbelievable, because if I owned the Buffalo News, I want a guy that doesn't offend everybody he talks to. I would like some analysis that I couldn't predict every !@#$ing week. I would want a guy that I would be proud to have sit in an interview with coaches, players, owners etc, not some pencil dick who screams at the starting goalie of my hockey team after a demoralizing loss, and can't understand that was a dickhead move....not some guy that the Bills might as well not even allow on the property.

Sully is looking for shock and awe, because he has nothing else.