Jerry Sullivan says: This Roster is a crumbling

papazoid

That's right. Sully is an idiot. Everything has been going well the past decade. They have made all the right draft picks, acquired the right FA's, and spent to the cap in an attempt to put forth a winning team that has gone to multiple Super Bowls and won two. Oh wait, sorry, I was talking about the Steelers and what a winning team does. I guess Sully might be rigth after all. How anyone with a sane mind can defend what the Bills do is laughable. Did the Steelers trade Heinz Ward because he was "holding back the development" of Sanders and Brown. No, they kept him around because he still has value, is relatively inexpensive, and can help the young guys out. The trade of Evans was a money-saving joke, just as cutting Handgardner was.

The Steelers didn't cut Heinz Ward because he runs all the patterns and is one of the elite blocking wideouts in the league. Lee Evans did neither well. Why come here if you hate the Bills so much, you must enjoy playing devil's advocate and annoying fans who want to wait to at least the first game before we label this team as terrible.

Edited by Colie

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people even read these anymore before going off on their latest crusade against Sullivan? Yeah, he's pretty much not worth reading most of the time, but this one was incredibly tame. It's an indictment of the previous regimes that have left this team in a bad spot. I don't see how anyone can question that thought.

With that said, I will say that the last line of the column was definitely an attempt to stir people up a bit (something Sullivan and Schopp are PAID to do). The rest seemed pretty fair. This thread is right up there with any of the one's where people rant about being ranked 30th in a power ranking.

You don't "rebuild" by trading a top WR for a 4th round draft pick, and by cutting an average OL when you lack depth at that position, particularly when you have no viable backup. Explain to me how Nix is "building." This is more of the same old Cheap Ralph, and I bet you were saying "give it more time" when jauron was coaching.

I agree.

But what does this have to do with the Evans trade?

What was he top of again?

You don't "rebuild" by trading a top WR for a 4th round draft pick, and by cutting an average OL when you lack depth at that position, particularly when you have no viable backup. Explain to me how Nix is "building." This is more of the same old Cheap Ralph, and I bet you were saying "give it more time" when jauron was coaching.

So you are saying you "rebuild" by sticking with the mediocre guys who've accomplished nothing? You can't B word about the Bills needing to rebuild then piss and moan when they make a change.

PTR

Now I am waiting for the people to come on this post and say he doesn't know what he is talking about. Trading Lee Evans was just the lastest in the completely idiotic moves this franchise continues to make, over and over.

They will naturally fall to the old reasoning of "There goes Sully again, always negative and trying to stir the pot".

If Justice is blind, then Bills fans who can't see the truth in this are blind, deaf, and many other things...

So you are saying you "rebuild" by sticking with the mediocre guys who've accomplished nothing? You can't B word about the Bills needing to rebuild then piss and moan when they make a change.

PTR

A change to what, exactly? Further mediocrity? You confuse CHANGE with POSITIVE CHANGE... and these moves are about as positive as an arrow through the chest.

They will naturally fall to the old reasoning of "There goes Sully again, always negative and trying to stir the pot".

If Justice is blind, then Bills fans who can't see the truth in this are blind, deaf, and many other things...

No, Im not blind and Im not a Kool-aid drinker. I dont like the Bills losing, and I dont need Sullivan to keep shoving what I already know down my throat. It's boring, old, and uninformative.

this article is 5 years too late.. We bottomed with Jauron/Brandon at the helm and we're being rebuilt with Nix/Gailey...

I'm happy with the team as it is being built now... 2 solid drafts and a completely revamped defense has got me liking our future

A change to what, exactly? Further mediocrity? You confuse CHANGE with POSITIVE CHANGE... and these moves are about as positive as an arrow through the chest.

Bills are still 0-0 but apparently you have a crystal ball and know they are going to lose every game. You need to get to Vegas.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Unless the Evans trade was a conspiracy one FULL year in the making, to assume anything else is strictly conjecture. Gailey spent the better part of a year saying...PUBLICLY...SEVERAL times...that he wasn't satisfied with this element of Evans game (or lack there of).

"I want a water bug" --- we draft Spiller

"We need to get bigger" --- we draft Dareus

"Maybin needs to improve" --- he gets cut

"Evans can't come over the middle"--- he gets traded

WHY DO WE TREAT EVERYTHING LIKE IT'S A DAMN MYSTERY!?

:thumbsup:

Probably because too many people are still too busy reading Sully's pieces to actually pay attention to what's going on. It's easier that way. No need to think.

The Steelers didn't cut Heinz Ward because he runs all the patterns and is one of the elite blocking wideouts in the league. Lee Evans did neither well. Why come here if you hate the Bills so much, you must enjoy playing devil's advocate and annoying fans who want to wait to at least the first game before we label this team as terrible.

Who ees thees "Heinz Ward"? And why did they name their stadium after him?

No, Im not blind and Im not a Kool-aid drinker. I dont like the Bills losing, and I dont need Sullivan to keep shoving what I already know down my throat. It's boring, old, and uninformative.

Exactly. Sully and his parrot friends here should take a break.

Fer Cripes sakes, the season hasn't started and people are pissing themselves with critiques on how ugly their prom date is.

Thankfully I can recognize a Sullivan article by the title, and did not click the link from the TBD homepage.

What a shocker, Jerry cut and pasted the same article that he's been writing for 5 years and used it on the morning of the NFL Season Opener! Amazing!

Does Jerry even write anymore, or does he just cue up his same rant over and over?

Not that I care all that much, I stopped reading his uninteresting drivel years ago.

Except that you completely ignore the point of his post, which was that the guys in charge now (Nix/Gailey/Whaley) have only been in place for 2 years, which completely undermines your "fix".

But once again I'm shocked that you'd take any chance to bash the organization.

Shocked I tell you.

I was following the same MO until I clicked the link - there was no "sullivan" in the link as it usually has been. Perhaps they've caught on and are doing that to add 'clicks' to his articles?

Isn't when you rebuild a team you rebuild one that sucks? I am sorry but during a rebuilding you gut the old parts that have no use. I think that the philsophy Nix has employed is a good one even if he made some moves I don't agree with all the moves he has made(Cutting Handy, drafting Spiller, and trading Lee for a 4th). There is a lot of roster turnover in the NFL get over it.

Jerry tells the stone hard facts about the Bills, which I like. But Shawne Merriman is back.

I mean almost 100 percent back. Think Buddy did good on this gamble.

Evans trade pissed me off to but lets see what we have in the young guys because Fitz is clearly gonna throw the rock, at least give them a shot at making plays.

Oline is what we expect it would be but least see how Chan cover for them in the playcalling department, most plays will be quick throws if we do pass.

The Bills will win more than 6 games. Nobody stay healthy all season in the league anyway. Lets see how lucky we are this season.

:thumbsup:

Probably because too many people are still too busy reading Sully's pieces to actually pay attention to what's going on. It's easier that way. No need to think.

Who ees thees "Heinz Ward"? And why did they name their stadium after him?

Sorry, I used the spelling from the poster I was replying to. Please forgive me.

This roster is a crumbling monument to neglect and bad personnel moves. A decade of weak drafts and frugal ownership has left the Bills with a roster that’s sorely lacking in established players in their professional primes. The Bills have very little to show for their drafts in the mid-2000s.

Lee Evans was the last of the ’04 class to go (George Wilson was undrafted). Roscoe Parrish is the only player left from ’05, Kyle Williams the last man standing from ’06. The entire ’07 draft class has departed. It’s close to a lost generation of young talent.

Four position players on this roster have started 30 games in a Buffalo uniform. Kelsay has stared 104, McGee 84, Williams 73. Then it drops down to that grizzled old vet, Andy Levitre, with 32. People talk about the Bills rebuilding. You can’t rebuild something that wasn’t constructed in the first place.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article548934.ece

Truth Hurts... Don't It...

Does sullivan ever post anything that isn't a whiny little rant? Does he wake up in the morning, pull the 2x4 out of his butt, and decide what negative slant he'll take for the day?

His schtick gets old. There are also a few positive and encouraging things to write about regarding the Bills, and maybe once or twice a year he could step out of his comfort zone and actually become objective. Maybe that is too much to ask from a professional hack, but I don't think so. Maybe an article on our draft picks this year, or an article on Stevie Johnson, or maybe even some of the younger promising players.

I guess it is easier to whine.

The team has SUCKED for the better part of a decade. Why is it a surprise that Sully has been writing similar columns over that same time period? What exactly do you want him to write?

Stop writing the same crap over n over n over. Maybe he needs a new city, prefer one he isn't known in. He would be run out of town otherwise!

Isn't when you rebuild a team you rebuild one that sucks? I am sorry but during a rebuilding you gut the old parts that have no use. I think that the philsophy Nix has employed is a good one even if he made some moves I don't agree with all the moves he has made(Cutting Handy, drafting Spiller, and trading Lee for a 4th). There is a lot of roster turnover in the NFL get over it.

This is all just a matter of semantics. The point Sullivan made with the rebuilding statement was that the previous regimes were supposed to rebuild the team, but they failed miserably. Now Nix is left to rebuild with no foundation at all. A bit of an exaggeration? Sure, but I really can't see any fault in that idea.

I don't agree with the Evans trade, however Ochocinco was traded for a 5th and a 7th. That set the market, don't you think?

Sully is what happens when the people that are supposed to cover the team have no access. Seriously, he is the most negative !@#$ around. He has not real insight, only refried ****.

The other issue with Sully is that he's been around so long, that others in the area look to him as an inspiration. Schopp is a good example. He has Sully on and they get all snarky together, and trash the Bills. This is why there will never be a change in he media, and the fans that read/listen to their ****. If you are smart enough to think for yourself, you don't need Jerry or anybody else to tell you it's been a rough going.

If this team starts to turn it around, Sully will be hoping for them to screw up, because that is where he gets his enjoyment. He is a negative prick, and he wants everybody else to be a negative prick.

To be "doom and gloom" about your football team has nothing to do with being a realist. I know that hurts a few asses around here, but it is the fact. It is crazy to think that being a negative, miserable prick over a game makes you some sort of realist. This is a game for entertainment, and if you can't enjoy it, then you should stop watching. People like Sully at least get paid for their reaction, which is unbelievable, because if I owned the Buffalo News, I want a guy that doesn't offend everybody he talks to. I would like some analysis that I couldn't predict every !@#$ing week. I would want a guy that I would be proud to have sit in an interview with coaches, players, owners etc, not some pencil dick who screams at the starting goalie of my hockey team after a demoralizing loss, and can't understand that was a dickhead move....not some guy that the Bills might as well not even allow on the property.

Sully is looking for shock and awe, because he has nothing else.

People of Buffalo:

Round up as many copies of this article as you can.

Cut them out of the paper.

Find out where Sullivan lives.

Sunday, after we beat the Chiefs, visit him home in the middle of the night.

Then cover--and I do mean cover--every inch of his car with his own words.

That'll be a nice surprise for him on Monday morning.

And vandalize McKelvin's lawn too just for opening day old time's sake

Sully is what happens when the people that are supposed to cover the team have no access. Seriously, he is the most negative !@#$ around. He has not real insight, only refried ****.

The other issue with Sully is that he's been around so long, that others in the area look to him as an inspiration. Schopp is a good example. He has Sully on and they get all snarky together, and trash the Bills. This is why there will never be a change in he media, and the fans that read/listen to their ****. If you are smart enough to think for yourself, you don't need Jerry or anybody else to tell you it's been a rough going.

If this team starts to turn it around, Sully will be hoping for them to screw up, because that is where he gets his enjoyment. He is a negative prick, and he wants everybody else to be a negative prick.

To be "doom and gloom" about your football team has nothing to do with being a realist. I know that hurts a few asses around here, but it is the fact. It is crazy to think that being a negative, miserable prick over a game makes you some sort of realist. This is a game for entertainment, and if you can't enjoy it, then you should stop watching. People like Sully at least get paid for their reaction, which is unbelievable, because if I owned the Buffalo News, I want a guy that doesn't offend everybody he talks to. I would like some analysis that I couldn't predict every !@#$ing week. I would want a guy that I would be proud to have sit in an interview with coaches, players, owners etc, not some pencil dick who screams at the starting goalie of my hockey team after a demoralizing loss, and can't understand that was a dickhead move....not some guy that the Bills might as well not even allow on the property.

+ 100

PTR

This is all just a matter of semantics. The point Sullivan made with the rebuilding statement was that the previous regimes were supposed to rebuild the team, but they failed miserably. Now Nix is left to rebuild with no foundation at all. A bit of an exaggeration? Sure, but I really can't see any fault in that idea.

Now that, I can agree with.

But it's still old news. I dont need Sully to tell me where Ive been. That's just easy, lazy, and cowardly. Unless he wants to close with "So to be fair to Nix, he probably needs a few years to build that foundation, and has been making moves to do so". But we'll never get anything like that from Sully.

Fixed...and the BN's owned by one of the richest men in the world.

There's fifty-seven media outlets and nothin' on....

Don't forget while The Snooze is forcing many of its reporters and columnists to take early retirement, they gave Sully a raise.

PTR

Yes, yes, and yes! Great post.

Great post. !@#$ Sullivan, Schopp and Gleason.

Now that, I can agree with.

But it's still old news. I dont need Sully to tell me where Ive been. That's just easy, lazy, and cowardly. Unless he wants to close with "So to be fair to Nix, he probably needs a few years to build that foundation, and has been making moves to do so". But we'll never get anything like that from Sully.

You tend to be far more level headed in these kind of threads, so I'll ask you specifically. Do you even read his stuff anymore? If so, why? I will never understand why people complain about him and the radio guys so much yet continue to read/listen. Then there are the others who clearly don't read/listen but complain anyway.

That's right. Sully is an idiot. Everything has been going well the past decade. They have made all the right draft picks, acquired the right FA's, and spent to the cap in an attempt to put forth a winning team that has gone to multiple Super Bowls and won two. Oh wait, sorry, I was talking about the Steelers and what a winning team does. I guess Sully might be rigth after all. How anyone with a sane mind can defend what the Bills do is laughable. Did the Steelers trade Heinz Ward because he was "holding back the development" of Sanders and Brown. No, they kept him around because he still has value, is relatively inexpensive, and can help the young guys out. The trade of Evans was a money-saving joke, just as cutting Handgardner was.

Evans didn't fit our system. Look at his stats! He did his time hear n now will play for a legitimate contender,,,, no hard feelings.

Hang man was doo doo, n i mean that in the nicest way possible. He was light and got pushed around. He was a very weak link in a bad O-line.

Sully is a huge D-bag, n i wont say anything else that hasn't already been said about this girl!