Jerry Sullivan says: This Roster is a crumbling

papazoid

You are exactly right when you say Sullivan has nothing but shock and awe. He is a discontent on the outside looking in. He has alienated himself from all within the organization and has no hope of ever being anything more than the grumbler that he is. If the bills start winning, then Jerry will fade into the background. He has painted himself into such a corner with his negative rants that nobody would take him seriously if he tried to write something otherwise. In the words of Al Davis, "just win, baby!". Winning will shut the turkey up.

Edited by turftoe

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sully is FAR, FAR more right than wrong.

He's not an obnoxious homer cheerleader for the team, ergo he's not worth reading. But yeah, I agree with JW and laugh at how threads discussing so-called negative media personalities generate so many pages of talk. :lol:

In the battle of homers versus objective fans, the latter has won a heck of a lot more the past decade. Too bad there's no score kept.

What is the argument here about? The guy is negative about the Bills, and we have known that for years. Generally, his criticisms have been aligned with the poor play of the Bills. The only way to end this negativity is for the Bills to have a winning season. Until this happens, it is fair game to be critical of a team and organization that has not made the playoffs in 11 years.

He's not an obnoxious homer cheerleader for the team, ergo he's not worth reading. But yeah, I agree with JW and laugh at how threads discussing so-called negative media personalities generate so many pages of talk. :lol:

Correct. He's an obnoxious moron, period.

In the battle of homers versus objective fans, the latter has won a heck of a lot more the past decade. Too bad there's no score kept.

Unfortunately, in your simplistic world it's that black and white. In truth, there are "homers" and then there are "optimists" -- there are "objective fans" and then there are "doomsayers."

The problem on this board is that too many "doomsayers" parade around as "objective fans" -- and the "optimists" who are also "objective fans" are unfairly labeled as "homers."

Edited by eball

Now I am waiting for the people to come on this post and say he doesn't know what he is talking about. Trading Lee Evans was just the lastest in the completely idiotic moves this franchise continues to make, over and over.

I say this as a Lee Evans fan who was sad to see him go : How do you know the move was idiotic? What if our passing game improves this year without Lee and Donald Jones or Easley turns out to be a stud like Stevie did last year. Now we have an extra pick and a younger receiver with more long term potential than Evans.

You might be right, but it's like grading a draft right after it happens--nobody has any clue until it plays out. Including you.

Wouldn't happen if the miserable, sniveling, whining beeotch didn't keep coming here to start threads about his own columns! B-)

(Same goes for the idiots at 'GR)

The problem on this board is that too many "doomsayers" parade around as "objective fans" -- and the "optimists" who are also "objective fans" are unfairly labeled as "homers."

This is a Bills board. "Homers" are to be expected, no? But when a team is losing for the same obvious reasons year after year, people who do their homework, or have even a miniscule clue about football are going to be able to see why.

As bad as the Bills are, they are mine. It's ridiculous, but being a Bills fan is a part of my identity. I follow the draft, have social "Bills" events, and spend tons of money going to games. It is great to be a part of this because Bills Fans really tend to be cool people.

But now, we are in an age where information is readily available. JW and NGU argued, but both spoke of football decisions being made by non-football people. What scares me is that even after we got rid of Levy and Jauron (two totally incompetent men), we continued to waste a HUGE pick on Spiller. Doing so followed suit. And, how good must this second round corner be to justify spurning numerous trade down offers (according to Nix)?

Personally, I am OK with the "homers." But, a poster like Bills Vet is more likely to nail it than one who is starry eyed. As Bill Parcells said (paraphrasing), you are as good as your record.

Personally, I am OK with the "homers." But, a poster like Bills Vet is more likely to nail it than one who is starry eyed. As Bill Parcells said (paraphrasing), you are as good as your record.

I am not against complaining and dont expect everyone to be blind fanboys and homers. But what grates is the constant harping on the same topics and turning of every argument in the same direction. Atleast come up with points of view on different topics. Not every thread has to be turned into a 'FO sucks', 'RW is cheap' and 'we should draft linemen'. This is football and there is so much else to talk about - both positively and negatively.

And this was not directed just at you, Bill (apart from the sneaky reference to linemen above :) ).

Edited by Fan in Chicago

damn media. :bag:

jw

:lol:

I enjoy your work, JW.

Except for his columns about his crappy golf game, something with which we can all empathize, I find Sullivan unreadable. I also stopped listening to WGR years ago. It's not a sports radio station - it's a bunch of clowns trying to fill air time. I know many here have done the same, so the only reason I think of for a prolonged TSW thread about the idiots at 'GR or the latest Sullivan B word-fest is that someone close to them instigates, then perpetuates the visibility. JMO.

Bill, please. I'm sure BillsVet has had something to look forward to once or twice in his life, but it hasn't been on this board. I perused his posts and had to stop after two pages because it was too depressing. Criticizing the Bills and/or predicting failure based upon the last 11 years is the easiest thing in the world to do, and I don't know why or how it gives certain people pleasure. There are actually people on this board who seem to view it as their goal in life to immediately squash another fan's optimism. It actually takes some courage to evaluate the recent moves with something other than unabashed skepticism.

I kid with you about your catch phrases and opinions (defensive backs, small and weak players), but I have absolutely no doubt you watch and root FOR the Bills passionately on Sunday. You're also willing to admit when you're wrong about a player. I'll be looking forward to that admission about Spiller later this season. ;)

Go Bills!

That doesn't make him insightful.

Or interesting, which is the heart of the matter.

I've never learned a thing or gained an insight from anything Sully's written (i.e., this NFL insider said X or player Y was comparable statistically/talentwise to player Z, or in the history of the NFL, team A was great because of factor B, etc.). He has no access, contacts or knowledge base to draw from, and appears lazy to boot.

In other words, just another loudmouthed drunk on a barstool...of which there are far more entertaining ones at TSW.

Bill, please. I'm sure BillsVet has had something to look forward to once or twice in his life, but it hasn't been on this board. I perused his posts and had to stop after two pages because it was too depressing. Criticizing the Bills and/or predicting failure based upon the last 11 years is the easiest thing in the world to do, and I don't know why or how it gives certain people pleasure. There are actually people on this board who seem to view it as their goal in life to immediately squash another fan's optimism. It actually takes some courage to evaluate the recent moves with something other than unabashed skepticism.

I kid with you about your catch phrases and opinions (defensive backs, small and weak players), but I have absolutely no doubt you watch and root FOR the Bills passionately on Sunday. You're also willing to admit when you're wrong about a player. I'll be looking forward to that admission about Spiller later this season. ;)

Go Bills!

You and Bill bring to light an issue that plagues this board (as well as many others). People come here with some need to "be right", as if successfully guessing the future means they are smarter than others. Usually, on the internet, that is because they have very little control or respect in real life.

I love the use of the word "courage" there, because I also find the negative nancies as equally cowardly.

Its EASY to be negative. And its EASY to be right by being negative.

Out of the ~250 players drafted every year, very few end up having NFL careers.

Out of the 53 players on each team, only 22 will be starters.

Out of the 1500 players in the league, only about 100 make the Pro-bowl.

Out of the 32 teams in the league, only ONE wins the Super Bowl.

Being a negative fan is just playing the odds. It's the easy way out. And when discussing the Buffalo Bills, its DEFINITELY the safe bet.

It's fine to disagree with the Front Office, but at least present a well thought out argument, and also include what YOU would do. Most people just bash the moves without providing any reason or alternative. Lame and lazy.

People come here with some need to "be right", as if successfully guessing the future means they are smarter than others. Usually, on the internet, that is because they have very little control or respect in real life.

I love the use of the word "courage" there, because I also find the negative nancies as equally cowardly.

Being a negative fan is just playing the odds. It's the easy way out. And when discussing the Buffalo Bills, its DEFINITELY the safe bet.

It's fine to disagree with the Front Office, but at least present a well thought out argument, and also include what YOU would do. Most people just bash the moves without providing any reason or alternative. Lame and lazy.

Good post.

Correct. He's an obnoxious moron, period.

Unfortunately, in your simplistic world it's that black and white. In truth, there are "homers" and then there are "optimists" -- there are "objective fans" and then there are "doomsayers."

Political career in your future?

You and Bill bring to light an issue that plagues this board (as well as many others). People come here with some need to "be right", as if successfully guessing the future means they are smarter than others. Usually, on the internet, that is because they have very little control or respect in real life.

Pin this to the top of the board forever, please.

I say this as a Lee Evans fan who was sad to see him go : How do you know the move was idiotic? What if our passing game improves this year without Lee and Donald Jones or Easley turns out to be a stud like Stevie did last year. Now we have an extra pick and a younger receiver with more long term potential than Evans.

You might be right, but it's like grading a draft right after it happens--nobody has any clue until it plays out. Including you.

So are we going to get a player as good as Evans with a 4th pick from a team that will probably draft in the last 4-5 picks of the round (around the 125th pick or so)? Doubtful. Which receiver has more long term potential then Evans? What does he have, a handful of catches his whole career? How many Superbowls has "potential" ever won?

This is a Bills board. "Homers" are to be expected, no? But when a team is losing for the same obvious reasons year after year, people who do their homework, or have even a miniscule clue about football are going to be able to see why.

As bad as the Bills are, they are mine. It's ridiculous, but being a Bills fan is a part of my identity. I follow the draft, have social "Bills" events, and spend tons of money going to games. It is great to be a part of this because Bills Fans really tend to be cool people.

But now, we are in an age where information is readily available. JW and NGU argued, but both spoke of football decisions being made by non-football people. What scares me is that even after we got rid of Levy and Jauron (two totally incompetent men), we continued to waste a HUGE pick on Spiller. Doing so followed suit. And, how good must this second round corner be to justify spurning numerous trade down offers (according to Nix)?

My feelings exactly.

Edited by billsfreak

So are we going to get a player as good as Evans with a 4th pick from a team that will probably draft in the last 4-5 picks of the round (around the 125th pick or so)? Doubtful. Which receiver has more long term potential then Evans? What does he have, a handful of catches his whole career? How many Superbowls has "potential" ever won?

You dont think you can find a 4th round pick that can replace 40rec/600yd/4TD production?

David Nelson, as our 4th WR last year, put up 30rec/350yds/3TDs in his ROOKIE YEAR, as an UNDRAFTED free agent.

Cmon...

If you guys are going to call yourselves "realists" at least deal in reality. The legend of Evans continues to grow...

Edited by DrDareustein

You dont think you can find a 4th round pick that can replace 40rec/600yd/4TD production?

David Nelson, as our 4th WR last year, put up 30rec/350yds/3TDs in his ROOKIE YEAR, as an UNDRAFTED free agent.

Cmon...

If you guys are going to call yourselves "realists" at least deal in reality. The legend of Evans continues to grow...

If Nelson pans out, that was luck. What did James Hardy do as a receiver drafted even higher? If you name one example you don't prove your point, anyone can name one player. Nelson also put up those numbers too because most of the receiver depth was injured last year, and I like Nelson but come on, be real.

Edited by billsfreak

If Nelson pans out, that was luck. What did James Hardy do as a receiver drafted even higher? If you name one example you don't prove your point, anyone can name one player.

Ok, so when something good happens, its just "lucky". But when something bad happens, the FO is stupid and you were right all along. :rolleyes: (Please see my post on the previous page)

My point is that Evans's LOW production over the last 2 seasons is not difficult to replace. He was barely a contributor, unfortunately.

Edited by DrDareustein

Ok, so when something good happens, its just "lucky". But when something bad happens, the FO is stupid and you were right all along. :rolleyes:(Please see my post on the previous page)

My point is that Evans's LOW production over the last 2 seasons is not difficult to replace. He was barely a contributor, unfortunately.

lol -- talk about instant confirmation.

Ok, so when something good happens, its just "lucky". But when something bad happens, the FO is stupid and you were right all along. :rolleyes: (Please see my post on the previous page)

No Einstein, when a 2nd or 3rd round pick does absolutely nothing it is a bad pick, when you get an undrafted free agent that 32 teams passed over for 7 rounds and he turns out to be something good that is luck. Pretty easy?

We can expand this to cover just about every single topic out there. To be honest, it sounds a lot like what is being done here in this thread in regards to the local media (Sullivan and WGR). The easiest thing of all would be to just walk away, but some things are easier to walk away from than others.

Now I am waiting for the people to come on this post and say he doesn't know what he is talking about. Trading Lee Evans was just the lastest in the completely idiotic moves this franchise continues to make, over and over.

It's not that he's wrong, but the fact he states the obvious. It's the same when I read posts about the Bills poor drafts and roster moves and they say "that's we're bad" Holy cow Batman! How else do you become a lousy team? Next Jerry will write an article explaining why it's hard to drive in Buffalo winters; lots of snow maybe? We need to demand or at least expect more from a professional sports writer. Buddy and Chan can only be held responsible for the moves they made, no one else s. Oh, I liked the Evans trade.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's call up some Chan Gailey is a bum and came cheap threads as well. We have a old, bargain basement GM who is a asleep at the switch, a bum coach and a crumbling roster.......that just beat the Patriots and now sits on top of the AFC East. And none of this would have happened if Ralph wasn't so cheap!!!!!

This roster is a crumbling monument to neglect and bad personnel moves. A decade of weak drafts and frugal ownership has left the Bills with a roster that’s sorely lacking in established players in their professional primes. The Bills have very little to show for their drafts in the mid-2000s.

Lee Evans was the last of the ’04 class to go (George Wilson was undrafted). Roscoe Parrish is the only player left from ’05, Kyle Williams the last man standing from ’06. The entire ’07 draft class has departed. It’s close to a lost generation of young talent.

Four position players on this roster have started 30 games in a Buffalo uniform. Kelsay has stared 104, McGee 84, Williams 73. Then it drops down to that grizzled old vet, Andy Levitre, with 32. People talk about the Bills rebuilding. You can’t rebuild something that wasn’t constructed in the first place.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article548934.ece

Isn't this an old article ? Meaning put out before Lee Evans was traded . I seem to remember reading this more than a few weeks ago ?

That being said i'm glad the Bills are making ALL of the media outlets change there tune and stand up & take notice of what Nix & Gailey are building in Buffalo .

Of coarse Boomer is a Bills fan & loving it , He Always roots for the Bills " No One Circles The Wagons Like The BB " You Go Boomer :thumbsup:

I just hope that they keep it going ! Remember the wheels falling off when we started 5 & 0 just a couple of years ago & if that happens the media will be like " I Told You So " .

But for now - Let's keep them eating crow & GO GO BUFFALO !!! :nana:

Very astute observation. At least Jerry Sullivan gets paid to be wrong. You're just giving it away.