Careers Cut Short By Injury

K-9

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KD in CT got me thinking about this in the OJ/TT thread.

What great careers were cut short by injury and how great would those players have been if not injured?

I'll start with:

Robert James. Had he not been injured I think he would have ended up in the HOF as one of the best CBs to ever lace 'em up. He was truly the first shut down corner I can remember watching in person. Routinely took away the other teams' number one receivers. Warfield, Maynard, Biletnikoff, Taylor, just to name a few. You just lined him up across from the other team's number one and didn't worry about that guy hurting you.

GO BILLS!!!

Nice call on James. He revolutionized pass coverage. I was at the game that he blew out his knee. It was a terrible looking injury.

Joe Delaney, KC Chiefs, 1981 rookie of the year, set 4 team records that held for 20 years, died saving kids from a lake.

Robert Edwards, Patriots* RB lost career during flag football game during pro bowl festivities 1998

Edited by Guffalo

A few names come to mind for me on this one.

Bo Jackson, could have been the most dominant RB of all time. The guy was just amazing. Ha it all. Strength. Speed. Could have been a really fun career to watch.

Derrick Thomas, although he was not injured early in his career, he could have been potentially the best defender of all time. Very sad.

Barry Sanders, although it wasn't due to injury, his career was cut between 3-4 years early due to his retirement. He could have set the RB records so high that they would have never been broken.

Sean Taylor, another very sad situation. Had the potential to be one of the better DBs in the game.

Robert Edwards, another rough situation. Who would have guessed a sand flag football game could end a career the way it did. Sure he came back but was never the same. I had him in his rookie season on my fantasy team and I remember wondering what this kid could have been.

Priest Holmes, It didn't happen in his career to end it really, but at the beginning he never got a fair shot. His career really took off under Vermiel and if he had even 3 more years at the level he was playing at the tine with the Chiefs, there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a first ballot HOFer.

Nice call on James. He revolutionized pass coverage. I was at the game that he blew out his knee. It was a terrible looking injury.

Robert James played back in the much more physical "bump & run" era. While he excelled no doubt in that era, his and others play led to the no contact after 5 yards rules. One can only guess if his style of play then could have transitioned into the play need for today's game.

One things for sure though. He was truly outstanding and was an All-Pro in 73 & 74, after having been outstanding in 71 & 72.

Joe Delaney, KC Chiefs, 1981 rookie of the year, set 4 team records that held for 20 years, died saving kids from a lake.

That was just terrible.....I remember that story well.

Joe didn't even know how to swim… but he couldn't stand there and watch someone drowning. He had to do something.

What a person.

KD in CT got me thinking about this in the OJ/TT thread.

What great careers were cut short by injury and how great would those players have been if not injured?

I'll start with:

Robert James. Had he not been injured I think he would have ended up in the HOF as one of the best CBs to ever lace 'em up. He was truly the first shut down corner I can remember watching in person. Routinely took away the other teams' number one receivers. Warfield, Maynard, Biletnikoff, Taylor, just to name a few. You just lined him up across from the other team's number one and didn't worry about that guy hurting you.

GO BILLS!!!

When I read the title of the thread, James was the first person to come to mind. He is my favorite all-time Bill. Truly an amazing player. You should probably add fearless to your list. Wasn't afraid to throw his body at anyone.

Bryce Paup is one of the first guys who comes to my mind. As an OLB in Green Bay's 4-3 scheme, he put up solid numbers. But when he came to Buffalo and was plugged in as an OLB in its 3-4 scheme, it was a perfect fit! :thumbsup: He had an insane 17.5 sacks that first year with the Bills. A multi-dimensional player, the guy was good against the run, good in pass coverage, created turnovers here and there, you name it! He was voted defensive MVP that year. Not just for the Bills, but for the entire NFL.

To put those 17.5 sacks into perspective, look at Lawrence Taylor's stats. Only once in his 13 year career did he meet or exceed 17.5 sacks. Had Bryce Paup continued to play at the level he had in 1995, his name would be mentioned along with Lawrence Taylor's as being among the best OLBs ever to have played the game.

Instead, Paup got injured in 1996 (his second year with the Bills) and was never the same player again. Post-injury, he became more one-dimensional, more limited: a shadow of his former self. Even that shadow was still respectable, but think of what might have been! :(

More to do with lining up behind Bruce Smith than being plugged into a "perfect fit".

Thinking just about the Bills, the one that pops into my mind is Sam Cowart. He was become a very dominant MLB, not quite in the same breath as Ray Lewis, but when he blew his achilles, there weren't many better MLB's in the league. He was young and had his best years ahead of him. I also think of another ILB who probably had his best years behind him, but still had tread on the tires when he got hurt and that was Chris Speilman.

The first person that popped into my head was Bo Jackson.

But I forgot about Sam Cowart for us. He was becoming an awesome player for us when he got hurt. I've always thought Patrick Willis reminded me of the way Cowart played.

Jerome Brown

I was a kid in Philadelphia when Jerome Brown died. That was a real shame. They even released a song in the area called "Bring It Home For Jerome."

When I first saw the title of this thread the first name that popped into my head was Terell Davis but I can't say that I disagree with the o-line situation in Denver so on second thought he might not be the best choice.

Another intriguing name that came up in this thread-Marcus Dupree. After watching his 30 for 30 it really had me thinking for awhile just how good this guy could've been in the NFL. A classic case of woulda,coulda,shoulda? I don't know how much of it was injury related though as opposed to just being put in a position to fail?

I would suggest adding another player to this list, the unquestionable leader of Buffalo’s Bermuda Triangle defense – Shane Nelson.

Wrong Place at the Wrong Time

There was at least one thing for certain from September 18, 1977, through November 1, 1981. When the Bills took the field, Shane Nelson would be a starting linebacker. A span of 72 consecutive games!

Leading the team in 1979 with an incredible 192 tackles, Nelson continued to make stops the following season with 126 tackles, 74 solo. And he would remain in the center of the action until the ninth game of the 1981 season against Cleveland.

"I was doing an inside blitz on [guard] Joe DeLamielleure, who used to be with the Bills, and as I faked him outside and started to come underneath, I had [my leg] planted. What they did was an illegal chop block. Of course, they wouldn’t call it," Nelson laughed. "They set Freddy [smerlas] up, and they really chopped him over, and all three of them came down on my right knee. I just ended up caught in a pile."

In the wrong place at the wrong time, Nelson, a rookie free agent in 1977, missed the next five games before trying a comeback against New England on December 13. That came to a halt when he reinjured the knee and was sidelined for the season finale at Miami.

After an exhaustive rehabilitation that lasted through the following year’s training camp, Nelson removed himself from the 1982 season opener against Kansas City when his knee failed him and required surgery. Not one to give less than 100 percent, Nelson was forced to hang up his helmet and shoulder pads.

"That was real difficult because I’d always been a leader on every team I played on," said Nelson. "It’s a tough row when you’re not able to be out on the field. I think one of the great fundamentals of leadership is leading by example. Which is how you play the game, how you approach the game, how you studied the game. So [being unable to play] was kind of a comfort-zone issue for me because it was a place I’d never been in.

"As far as being on the sideline and still assume some leadership of the team, when my knee wasn’t ready, I retired rather than just hang[ing] around. I always approached the game with everything that I had, trying to be the best I could, trying to be a team leader. So trying to become a leader from the sideline was not something that I was comfortable with. It was difficult."

Excerpt from “Then Levy Said to Kelly…”

I met Shane Nelson back in the late 70s and was surprised to find that he was not much taller than me. I'm about 5'10" but he was twice as wide as me and was bursting through the seams of his suit coat.

I can't remember if the bar was No Names or where but he was there with a few of the Bills.

Shane was a super great guy, totally accommodating and humble. He listened to everything I said and would reply real thoughtfully in that Texas drawl. Completely down to earth.

And yes, he was a very excellent linebacker. He was considered undersized but he was actually a pretty physical player with a great head for the game. I think he was listed at 6'1 and 225 pounds but I'd say he was shorter and heavier than that… pretty much a fire hydrant.

Sterling Sharpe...dude was literally unstoppable...double cover/triple cover...didn't matter...dude averaged 85 catches, 1162 yards, and 9 TDs in 7 years(including his rookie year which he only had 55/791/1).

Career was cut short at age 29 when he already had amassed 595 receptions, 8134 yards, and 65 TDs

Compare this to Rice's first 7 years in the NFL which he had 526 receptions, 9072 yards, and 93 TDs and while Rice clearly had superior stats, Sharpe clearly was pretty close and definitely would have been a first ballot hall of famer himself...

Greg Cook was destined for greatness as the Cincinnati Bengals QB before his career was derailed by injury.

http://www.profootba...-the-69-bengals

Sorry Alb. Just posted without reading the rest of the thread.

Glad to see someone else remembers Greg Cook. :thumbsup:

If he stayed healthy, the Bungles might never have drafted Ken Anderson - who was their best QB of all time.

More to do with lining up behind Bruce Smith than being plugged into a "perfect fit".

I disagree.

Cornelius Bennett was a five time Pro Bowl selection, was once selected as the AFC defensive player of the year, and has been mentioned as the third-best pass rusher in the NFL. (The third-best of his time, not all-time.) His best season, sack-wise, was 1988, when he had 9.5 sacks. Like Bryce Paup, he also had the benefit of playing with Bruce Smith.

9.5 sacks is a very respectable achievement for an OLB, Bruce Smith or no. But Bryce Paup's 17.5 sacks is just a little bit better. ;)

I can't believe no one has mentioned Sam Cowart. Before he got cheap shotted by that dirtbag lineman from TB he was absolutely starting to dominate. The first quarter he played in that TB game we was absolutely unblockable.

He was never the same after that.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Sam Cowart. Before he got cheap shotted by that dirtbag lineman from TB he was absolutely starting to dominate. The first quarter he played in that TB game we was absolutely unblockable.

He was never the same after that.

Cowart was mentioned at least twice.

You're right, I missed them both.

Once a thread gets to 4 pages, it becomes a bit cumbersome. Easy to skim and miss.

I sometimes get irritated when people post when they've obviously not read the whole thread but on the other hand… sometimes it's too much to expect someone to sift through so many posts… especially if the quality of posts is bad or there's a huge quantity of them.

edit: I don't recall the play that changed the course of Cowart's career. It was an achilles wasn't it?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Sterling Sharpe...dude was literally unstoppable...double cover/triple cover...didn't matter...dude averaged 85 catches, 1162 yards, and 9 TDs in 7 years(including his rookie year which he only had 55/791/1).

Career was cut short at age 29 when he already had amassed 595 receptions, 8134 yards, and 65 TDs

Compare this to Rice's first 7 years in the NFL which he had 526 receptions, 9072 yards, and 93 TDs and while Rice clearly had superior stats, Sharpe clearly was pretty close and definitely would have been a first ballot hall of famer himself...

Agreed. Could you imagine him and Favre playing together during Favre's prime? GB might have one another Super Bowl during that era.

this is one I think of, as he helped out Depew's Don Majkowski and Brett Farve out as a security net. When Shannon won his first SB ring with the Broncos, he gave it to Sterling. imo, Sterling should be in before Shannon.

Once a thread gets to 4 pages, it becomes a bit cumbersome. Easy to skim and miss.

I sometimes get irritated when people post when they've obviously not read the whole thread but on the other hand… sometimes it's too much to expect someone to sift through so many posts… especially if the quality of posts is bad or there's a huge quantity of them.

edit: I don't recall the play that changed the course of Cowart's career. It was an achilles wasn't it?

It was an achilles, which also brings to mind Takeo Spikes.

I am sure that some or all of these have been mentioned, but for Bills only, here are my picks:

Robert James CB: I believe he was undrafted and was very very good.

Sam Cowart ILB: was really very very good prior to his injury which just killed his career.

Jeff Nixon S: He was really looking good and then he hurt his (knee I think).

Takeo Spikes OLB: was DOMINANT before his achilles injury. He has hung on for many years as an OK

starter (now with SF), but he has been no where near his level with Cinci and the Bills.

Jerry Butler WR: Might have been the Bills' best WR ever had he not gotten hurt early in his career. I remember

him making some just AMAZING catches.

Of them all, I think it is a toss-up between Butler and Spikes as to who would have been the very best, but

I think all of the above would have had outstanding careers if not for the injuries.

I disagree.

Cornelius Bennett was a five time Pro Bowl selection, was once selected as the AFC defensive player of the year, and has been mentioned as the third-best pass rusher in the NFL. (The third-best of his time, not all-time.) His best season, sack-wise, was 1988, when he had 9.5 sacks. Like Bryce Paup, he also had the benefit of playing with Bruce Smith.

9.5 sacks is a very respectable achievement for an OLB, Bruce Smith or no. But Bryce Paup's 17.5 sacks is just a little bit better. ;)

Can't disagree that Paup still managed quite an accomplishment with 17.5 sacks. Yet, I also have to agree that Bruce Smith was to one who drew the double teams, who the opposition focused upon, and because of his greatness it led to far more opportunity for Paup than if Smith wasn't lined up opposite him. I recall a fairly sizable quantity of Paup's sacks coming from beating a TE and/or a back. Smith was the man and Paup benefited.. "Bad things, man, bad things" (RIP- D. Hopper)

Can't disagree that Paup still managed quite an accomplishment with 17.5 sacks. Yet, I also have to agree that Bruce Smith was to one who drew the double teams, who the opposition focused upon, and because of his greatness it led to far more opportunity for Paup than if Smith wasn't lined up opposite him. I recall a fairly sizable quantity of Paup's sacks coming from beating a TE and/or a back. Smith was the man and Paup benefited.. "Bad things, man, bad things" (RIP- D. Hopper)

You've made a good point. And I agree that Bruce Smith was a better pure pass rusher than Paup.

However . . . Bruce Smith is not the only RDE in the history of the league to consistently command double teams. Even on teams with very good RDEs, it's very, very rare to see an OLB put up over 17 sacks in a season! I'm not disagreeing with your point, just pointing out that Paup's season was very remarkable.

You may recall the playoff game in which the Bills faced the Steelers. Bruce missed that game because he'd been hospitalized with an illness. The Steelers responded by consistently running plays to the opposite side of the field from wherever Paup happened to be. That cut down on his opportunities to make plays and put up good numbers. But it also showed the Steelers feared him.

For the Bills of the late 70's and 80's besides, Nixon and Butler already mentioned, our best LB in the Bermuda Triangle and an absolute beast was Shane Nelson. Once his knee busted up he was never the same. One year opposing teams were averaging something like 1.5 yd per carry when he was in the games and over 4 when he was out. He would be on the wall had his career lasted. He was a stud. We also had a very good, very fast WR named Mike Montler (sp?) that never made an impact due to his knees. Maybe someone else remembers his name.

We also had a very good, very fast WR named Mike Montler (sp?) that never made an impact due to his knees. Maybe someone else remembers his name.

Mike Mosley is the player I think you're thinking of. Fast white boy.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoslMi00.htm

Mike Montler was one of the centers (along with Bruce Jarvis) of The Electric Company.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan