Careers Cut Short By Injury

K-9

KD in CT got me thinking about this in the OJ/TT thread.

What great careers were cut short by injury and how great would those players have been if not injured?

I'll start with:

Robert James. Had he not been injured I think he would have ended up in the HOF as one of the best CBs to ever lace 'em up. He was truly the first shut down corner I can remember watching in person. Routinely took away the other teams' number one receivers. Warfield, Maynard, Biletnikoff, Taylor, just to name a few. You just lined him up across from the other team's number one and didn't worry about that guy hurting you.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head how about Terrell Davis? Davis had 6413 yards in his first 4 years, over 2000 yards in his final full season, then injuries cut his career short. Who knows how many yards he wold have racked up.

I view Davis as an Emmit Smith type player. Very good RB, great OL and perfect situation. Smith had all the talent around him while Davis had an offensive scheme and OL that produced holes that I could have run for 1000 yards behind. When Davis went out, his replacements ran for 1500. I'm not saying Davis wasn't good, he was very good, but as a running back, I wouldn't view him as one of the greatest, just like smith, the all time leader in yards. Smith is a great back, but IMO, isn't one of the greatest (in which I usually associate with top 5 talents). Davis may have been a top 25 all-time guy, but I think there were better RBs that weren't lucky enough to be in the perfect situation. Davis and smith were in the perfect situation, and they capitalized on in.

Bo Jackson comes to mind, who knows how great his career would've been if he never injured his hip vs. the Bengals.

This was my first thought as well. He was soooo fun to watch.

Thinking just about the Bills, the one that pops into my mind is Sam Cowart. He was become a very dominant MLB, not quite in the same breath as Ray Lewis, but when he blew his achilles, there weren't many better MLB's in the league. He was young and had his best years ahead of him. I also think of another ILB who probably had his best years behind him, but still had tread on the tires when he got hurt and that was Chris Speilman.

Derrick Burroughs was coming into his own when his career was cut short by that thin neck ailment( was paralyzed for about 8 minutes against the Oilers if memory serves)

Edited by Steve O

Derrick Burroughs was coming into his own when his career was cut short by that thin neck ailment( was paralyzed for about 8 minutes against the Oilers if memory serves)

I was writing basically the same post when yours popped up.

Imagine what might have been if he were still around for the Superbowl run.

Based solely on his college career and draft position (no way to know if he was really gonna be an NFL star):

"RB Ki-Jana Carter, Penn State, 1995

Bengals moved up to take him first overall and gave him a then-record $7.1 million signing bonus. Owner Mike Brown called him the team's ``bell cow.'' Tore ACL in his left knee on his third preseason carry in Detroit, ending the season and starting a career cut short by injuries at every turn."

Marcus DuPree would have been an absoulte beast if it wasnt for his knee injury.

Good one; although his other issues really hampered him from reaching potential. The moment he decided to play for that a--hole Switzer he was doomed.

I was writing basically the same post when yours popped up.

Imagine what might have been if he were still around for the Superbowl run.

Not to mention we likely wouldn't have wasted a first round pick on JD Williams (after missing out on first round picks for the previous two years because of the Bennet deal)

Not to mention we likely wouldn't have wasted a first round pick on JD Williams (after missing out on first round picks for the previous two years because of the Bennet deal)

Yep. Having Odomes covering the other team's #2 would have been sweet.

Bryce Paup is one of the first guys who comes to my mind. As an OLB in Green Bay's 4-3 scheme, he put up solid numbers. But when he came to Buffalo and was plugged in as an OLB in its 3-4 scheme, it was a perfect fit! :thumbsup: He had an insane 17.5 sacks that first year with the Bills. A multi-dimensional player, the guy was good against the run, good in pass coverage, created turnovers here and there, you name it! He was voted defensive MVP that year. Not just for the Bills, but for the entire NFL.

To put those 17.5 sacks into perspective, look at Lawrence Taylor's stats. Only once in his 13 year career did he meet or exceed 17.5 sacks. Had Bryce Paup continued to play at the level he had in 1995, his name would be mentioned along with Lawrence Taylor's as being among the best OLBs ever to have played the game.

Instead, Paup got injured in 1996 (his second year with the Bills) and was never the same player again. Post-injury, he became more one-dimensional, more limited: a shadow of his former self. Even that shadow was still respectable, but think of what might have been! :(

Bo Jackson comes to mind, who knows how great his career would've been if he never injured his hip vs. the Bengals.

Was my first thought, Jackson was the best runner ever and had he focused on football and not been injured he would have been the GOAT.

Steve Ettman was a dominant DT in college and flashed big time in the pros but knee and neck problems cut what should have been a HOF carrer.

Tony manderich carreer was drasctically cut short when his muscles where injured by a lack of steroids :D .

Greg Cook. He could make every throw, sling it a mile and had the sickest fake handoff I've ever seen. EVER. Got his shoulder crushed after his rookie year and he ended up not being able to throw ten yards. Sad.

KD in CT got me thinking about this in the OJ/TT thread.

What great careers were cut short by injury and how great would those players have been if not injured?

I'll start with:

Robert James. Had he not been injured I think he would have ended up in the HOF as one of the best CBs to ever lace 'em up. He was truly the first shut down corner I can remember watching in person. Routinely took away the other teams' number one receivers. Warfield, Maynard, Biletnikoff, Taylor, just to name a few. You just lined him up across from the other team's number one and didn't worry about that guy hurting you.

GO BILLS!!!

The first one that comes to my mind is Gale Sayers. He had a short great career, but if he stayed healthy or maybe even if they had the medical technologies back then that they do now, it might have been his record that Emmitt Smith broke. A few others that come to mind are Sterling Sharpe, Bo Jackson, Terrell Davis, Tony Boselli and even Joe Namath, although he is also in the HOF like Sayers is. As far are Bills, I would say Jerry Butler and Chris Spielman.

I would say Troy Aikman -- He had a great HOF career, but his 10 concussions ended his career prematurely

Same can be said for Steve Young.

Trent Edwards-That concussion against Arizona derailed a potentially Hall of Fame career.

Gayle Sayers. Yeah, he's in the HoF. But what could have been if he'd've stayed healthy or had the medicine of today back in his day.

I mentioned that in the shout box a couple of weeks ago...Yeah, I think he would have walked away in the top 3 at the time of his retirement.

Some Bills to mention:

Jeff Nixon (knee F'd up)

Derrick Burroughs (not really an injury - narrowing of the spine, but still)

Gayle Sayers. Yeah, he's in the HoF. But what could have been if he'd've stayed healthy or had the medicine of today back in his day.

Yeah, to me Sayers stands head and shoulders above anyone else in this category.

Bills...Jerry Butler, damn, he was good.

J.P Losman. Who knows how good he could have been with a brain. :rolleyes:

:lol: That, and the ability to complete a pass other than a downfield heave that Lee Evans could catch up to and grab.

Perhaps Steve Entman and KiJana Carter. Two guys that were ruined by knee injuries early in their career. We'll never know.