Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not really. We threaded the ball control needle perfectly for a while there but it all fell apart on the final few drives and it required Allen to create magic several times just to keep us in the game. That offense we showed against the Chiefs is not close to a sustainable championship caliber offense.

Oh yea the last few drives the chiefs locked down hard I wouldn’t argue that…that first half though the running game was killing them.  We absolutely dominated top and were running on them at will 

13 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Oh yea the last few drives the chiefs locked down hard I wouldn’t argue that…that first half though the running game was killing them.  We absolutely dominated top and were running on them at will 

Well the goal isn't to control time of possession in the first half. The goal is to win the game. I'm not convinced the investments this regime has made on offense this offseason are enough to meet that goal. Maybe there is still something coming after June 1. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It is kind of funny that the signing wasn't even reported until the Bills social media team announced it which shows how far Claypool's profile has fallen.  Maybe we can get the Chase Claypool of 2020 and 2021.  Your brain doesn't even develop until you're 24 and he's 25 so maybe he's matured.  Just cut him if it doesn't work out.  Low risk, mediumish reward signing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Claypool is only 25 and Uber talented.

Also the Claypool curse is a thing. 

When did he become Uber talented?  I would think his agent would want to publicize that development

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Scary bunch...

Secondaries are trembling with fear

I think the secondary is probably more fearful of Allen.  He's so difficult to sack, and he keeps plays alive forever, not to mention the rocket arm capable of carving up tight windows.  

Definitely a low risk signing, a year after the Bears wasted a 2nd round pick; we're not giving up any draft capital and it's likely a vet min contract.

The way I see it, it's likely we keep 6 WRs on the 53, and have a balance of 3 bigger/X-body type receivers and 3 slot/quicker types:

a. Big Body Types (1 lock, 1 likely lock, 1 open spot):

Lock: Coleman

Likely a lock (>75% chance): Hollins

Competing for a spot: Shorter, Shavers, Claypool, Cephus, UDFA

Slot/Versatile types (2 locks, 1 open):

Locks: Samuel, Shakir

Competing: Isabella, Hamler, Bryan Thompson, UDFA

*this excludes UDFA names, perhaps 1 makes it based on return ability

Maybe Beane has another vet, post June 1, in mind.  Otherwise, it seems he's sprinkling in some "semi successful" vets (with flaws), with some young unproven talents to compete for a 1-2 spots.  It's not a horrible strategy, but when your #4 is Mack Hollins, I don't like it.  If we had a solid #4, this strategy seems valid and less risky.  

Beane has had some success on these 1-yr deals, or a younger guy taking a big step in year 2-3, so I'm optimistic until I see otherwise this training camp/Fall.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Kincaid gets a bunch of defensive attention and he doesn’t factor in here just because of the technicality that he’s officially a tight end I guess.  makes it look a little better imo.  

i dont think they’re trembling a whole lot less than the second half of last year with how diggs was playing but I understand the point 

Defenses really stopped worrying about Diggs getting down field.  The offense was fine without getting production from both.  Coleman in a condensed set will help in the run game and also provide those big slot routes.  Claypool has his best chance since Pittsburgh to produce.  Mcdaniel saw him as a te.  Could be the primary back up for Coleman.  Obvious big role is being developed for him.  

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Defenses really stopped worrying about Diggs getting down field.  The offense was fine without getting production from both.  Coleman in a condensed set will help in the run game and also provide those big slot routes.  Claypool has his best chance since Pittsburgh to produce.  Mcdaniel saw him as a te.  Could be the primary back up for Coleman.  Obvious big role is being developed for him.  

I think Claypool's best shot is to fill Gabe's role as the vertical threat.  Much of his early success was on vertical routes with Ben.

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Definitely a low risk signing, a year after the Bears wasted a 2nd round pick; we're not giving up any draft capital and it's likely a vet min contract.

The way I see it, it's likely we keep 6 WRs on the 53, and have a balance of 3 bigger/X-body type receivers and 3 slot/quicker types:

a. Big Body Types (1 lock, 1 likely lock, 1 open spot):

Lock: Coleman

Likely a lock (>75% chance): Hollins

Competing for a spot: Shorter, Shavers, Claypool, Cephus, UDFA

Slot/Versatile types (2 locks, 1 open):

Locks: Samuel, Shakir

Competing: Isabella, Hamler, Bryan Thompson, UDFA

*this excludes UDFA names, perhaps 1 makes it based on return ability

Maybe Beane has another vet, post June 1, in mind.  Otherwise, it seems he's sprinkling in some "semi successful" vets (with flaws), with some young unproven talents to compete for a 1-2 spots.  It's not a horrible strategy, but when your #4 is Mack Hollins, I don't like it.  If we had a solid #4, this strategy seems valid and less risky.  

Beane has had some success on these 1-yr deals, or a younger guy taking a big step in year 2-3, so I'm optimistic until I see otherwise this training camp/Fall.

I don't consider hollins a lock.  1.1M cap hit if he is cut vs. 2.3 if he's kept.  Factor in a shorter/shavers rookie deal and you still technically net cap savings.  

I assume this will be a dog fight til the end of preseason.  And i expect everyone other than coleman in that list of X receivers to be contributing on special teams.  

Players with PR experience - Coleman, Shakir, Hamler, less so isabella.  

Players with KR experience - Shakir, Johnson (RB), Hamler