Winners and Losers from the first round (Non-Bills)

Who are your big winners and even bigger losers after round 1?

not including the Bills.

Winners:

1. Bears

Caleb and Rome was the best they could hope for.

2. Jets

This sucks but trading back, getting some more picks and a high value OT prospect for Rodgers is the smart, but not sexy move. 

3. Vikings

Depending on you felt about McCarthy, the Vikings had a good night. Active around the board, and used their capital to get their two biggest needs. Reminded me of the Bills in 18.

Now, for the actual important part. The LOSERS.

Losers:

1. Falcons

I slept on this thinking it was the worst move of the draft thus far and I woke up thinking I was being generous. Alienating the QB you just gave 2 fully GTD years to make a deep playoff run so you can have a 9 year senior ride the pine for 2 years is absurd. Now, to be fair, if 3 years from now, Penix is a franchise QB no one will care, so I give them some fraction of credit there. But the whole reason you throw stacks at a Kirk Cousins is because you believe the rest of the roster is close to contention. Falcons are just unserious.

2. Raiders

oh boy. To spend multiple high picks on the TE position two years in a row when you don’t have a QB on the roster is certainly a strategy. They saw the Bills extend Dawson Knox to big money to ride the pine and block on goal line and said “hold my beer.”

3. Broncos

They drafted Bo Nix.

Am i the only one thinking that NE may have got the best value at QB last night?.......Maye has got a lot of upside and coachable skills. I wanted him to go anywhere, but the AFCEast. The rest of the QB's taken off the board last night don't concern me, however, if Maye manages to put it all together (maybe not this year cause he won't have much of a team around him, so a couple of years on the bench might do him some good while they build a complimentary roster).........i don't know, i don't like this pick one bit.

And anyone who wants to make the Mac Jones 2.0 comparison is wrong......this guy has got loads more talent than Mac and Cheese.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

You forgot Cincinnati - losers.   The announcers were pretty dumb founded when they picked an OT with just 8 starts in college.  They decided he must be a project - with a first round pick.  Doesn't get much worse than that

I've got 2 questionable ones.....

* Miami picking Chop......now, i have no problem with this pick, however, i was sure he would have been one of the guys to fall into the 2nd round as he is a little raw and a bit of a project, albeit with coachable skills, i just had a feeling he would drop

* Atlanta......nothing more needs to be said here

Just now, FireChans said:

I like JJ over Bo

Both are day two QB's IMO. What is weird about this draft and maybe it is a new trend, it's like teams don't want to take QB's in rounds 2 or 3 anymore. Will there be a single QB selected today? GM's either want to be all in on a QB by committing to them in round 1 or take them on day 3 to set the expectations very low. 

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

not including the Bills.

Winners:

1. Bears

2. Jets

This sucks but trading back, getting some more picks and a high value OT prospect for Rodgers is the smart, but not sexy move. 

3. Vikings

Depending on you felt about McCarthy, the Vikings had a good night. Active around the board, and used their capital to get their two biggest needs. Reminded me of the Bills in 18.

Losers:

1. Falcons

I slept on this thinking it was the worst move of the draft thus far and I woke up thinking I was being generous. Alienating the QB you just gave 2 fully GTD years to make a deep playoff run so you can have a 9 year senior ride the pine for 2 years is absurd. Now, to be fair, if 3 years from now, Penix is a franchise QB no one will care, so I give them some fraction of credit there. But the whole reason you throw stacks at a Kirk Cousins is because you believe the rest of the roster is close to contention. Falcons are just unserious.

2. Raiders

oh boy. To spend multiple high picks on the TE position two years in a row when you don’t have a QB on the roster is certainly a strategy. They saw the Bills extend Dawson Knox to big money to ride the pine and block on goal line and said “hold my beer.”

3. Broncos

They drafted Bo Nix.

Raiders went best player available. They can get the QB next year. Brock Bowers was a good pick for them

Eagles Lions Colts Seahawks all got very good D players that fell

Giants and Bears made good smart picks

Broncos Chargers losers 

Saying the Falcons are losers would be an understatement. People need to lose their jobs over that pick. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Raiders went best player available. They can get the QB next year. Brock Bowers was a good pick for them

They are a mess. BPA for a TE is gross when they took Mayer high last year.

Of course the real answer is that no one knows this early.

But that's no fun, so...

My winners were Detroit (I think Arnold was a great value where they got him), Philly (again, great value), and KC ("you should call the Bills as a prank just to say if they'll willingly give us the fastest man in combine history").

My losers were Atlanta (no explanation needed), the Panthers (I don't think we were picking Legette, so I'm not sure why they felt compelled to trade up with us).

I would have Minny as a loser, because of the way they backed themselves into a corner on QB, and then had to trade a haul just to move up one spot because they had no other choice...but...they somewhat redeemed themselves with the Dallas Turner value pick...so I guess they're "half and half" winner/losers.

Biggest losers:

Bills fans. Waiting all night to pick 28, then trading to the arch rival Chiefs, then trading out of the 1st round completely. Good lord. RIP our Thursday night.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, but maybe they think this guy has a higher ceiling or a better player

He probably is on both accounts. It’s still an irrelevant low impact position. 

He basically needs to be a HoFer to justify the pick based on their roster, and he won’t be a HoFer without someone to throw him the ball.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Of course the real answer is that no one knows this early.

But that's no fun, so...

My winners were Detroit (I think Arnold was a great value where they got him), Philly (again, great value), and KC ("you should call the Bills as a prank just to say if they'll willingly give us the fastest man in combine history").

My losers were Atlanta (no explanation needed), the Panthers (I don't think we were picking Legette, so I'm not sure why they felt compelled to trade up with us).

I would have Minny as a loser, because of the way they backed themselves into a corner on QB, and then had to trade a haul just to move up one spot because they had no other choice...but...they somewhat redeemed themselves with the Dallas Turner value pick...so I guess they're "half and half" winner/losers.

Biggest losers:

Bills fans. Waiting all night to pick 28, then trading to the arch rival Chiefs, then trading out of the 1st round completely. Good lord. RIP our Thursday night.

You do realize Worthy is not Tyreek Hill... He's a lot closer to our own kolby listenbee lmao better but my point stands 

The dude is a track athlete not a natural football player... You can get away with that in college... Everybody in the NFL is big strong and fast 

He's 163 lb soaking wet and our own whipping boy Elam will have no problem clamping him 

You heard it here first Elam will be able to take him out of games easily because he's a one-trick pony and Elam plays that trick well

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He probably is on both accounts. It’s still an irrelevant low impact position. 

He basically needs to be a HoFer to justify the pick based on their roster, and he won’t be a HoFer without someone to throw him the ball.

I mean, all of the top QBs were off the board at the time. They went next BPA so, I see no issue with what they did. Time will tell if they made the right choice 

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

not including the Bills.

Winners:

1. Bears

2. Jets

3. Vikings

Losers:

1. Falcons

2. Raiders

3. Broncos

They drafted Bo Nix.

the worst part of all this is that they’re likely gonna get hit hard for tampering to even GET Cousins the way they did. Most likely a loss of some sort of draft capital, meaning even fewer chances to draft a high impact guy to complete their roster next year. Absolutely insane to me given what they are paying Cousins and what they stand to lose by tampering.

3 hours ago, Process said:

Eagles Lions Colts Seahawks all got very good D players that fell

Giants and Bears made good smart picks

Broncos Chargers losers 

Saying the Falcons are losers would be an understatement. People need to lose their jobs over that pick. 

Kirk is getting up there, and we don’t truly know how he’ll recover from this Achilles….so it’s not a terrible idea to have a young guy there (except Penix is old for a rook). People ridiculed GB for picking Love with Rogers there, but they’re looking mighty smart now 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Patriots were the big winners, IMO.   Love Drake Maye.

Yup.  If he reaches his ceiling the Pats will have the qb needed n today’s NFL to regularly compete for a championship.  Not sure if the Pats are the greatest fit for him though.

• Like (+1) 1

Winner:

Bill Belichick:  I really enjoyed his commentary.  

Loser:

Falcons.  Too much faith in Raheem Morris with the selection of a QB in the first round.  

35 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Kirk is getting up there, and we don’t truly know how he’ll recover from this Achilles….so it’s not a terrible idea to have a young guy there (except Penix is old for a rook). People ridiculed GB for picking Love with Rogers there, but they’re looking mighty smart now 

Very different situation than the one in GB