The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

18 minutes ago, LEBills said:

It’s all speculation but makes sense. Washington can get to 33 and have their pick of the remaining OTs ahead of the Pats

Who are the OTs left who they might want?

More than the other picks that they have traded, this is the pick that the Bills can really leverage, but if they want a particular WR, I expect that they will make the pick because some of the teams drafting immediately after them seem to have significant needs at WR (i.e., the Patriots and the Chargers).

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would strongly prefer not to trade 2025 picks at a discount, though obviously they might see it differently.  If they got 36 and 40, I don’t think I could find 2 WR that I would want to double up on.  I presume Mitchell is out of play based on the character/effort rumors (ad it we don’t know if true).  What 2 WR would you want in that range?

I would honestly rather trade a 2025 2nd than our 2024 3rd. It might be short sighted of me but I want three players from the top 100 this year, and we still have another 2025 2nd in the bag from the Diggs trade.

My preference is Franklin/Coleman. But any one of these two is fine by me, preferably two that complement each other well:

Franklin

Coleman

McConkey

Polk

Mitchell

Edited by HappyDays

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Who are the OTs left who they might want?

They need OT, OG and CB...per reports. Just so happens OG/C and CB are the top remaining guys and would probably go before they pick.

I just have this feeling the only reason Beane traded to 33 was to then get a bidding war going overnight and trade down again, just a hunch, but I would bet he trades down again. Go Bills! 

• Agree 1

Just now, 0017 said:

I just have this feeling the only reason Beane traded to 33 was to then get a bidding war going overnight and trade down again, just a hunch, but I would bet he trades down again. Go Bills! 

If that rumor with WSH is there, I’d take it all day

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would honestly rather trade a 2025 2nd than our 2024 3rd. It might be short sighted of me but I want three players from the top 100 this year, and we still have another 2025 2nd in the bag from the Diggs trade.

My preference is Franklin/Coleman. But any one of these two is fine by me, preferably two that complement each other well:

Franklin

Coleman

McConkey

Polk

Mitchell

Bills have 33 60 and 95 now

44 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

seems to good to be true BUT there always is a ton of interest in pick 33:

1. teams have 20 hours to think.talk about it, and

2. This year there are 3 players sticking out like a sore thumb:  DeJean, Johnson and Newton

Totally agree with both of your posts. It just seems like a lot to give up to move up 3 slots. That said, maybe they have Cooper DeJean as their 15th ranked player overall (wouldn't surprise me), and given that Washington's secondary has been absolutely abysmal for the last three years (opposing QBs had a 105.7 collective passer rating against them last season!), maybe desperate times call for desperate measures. That to me would make some sense. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Very puzzling to give up the 5th year of player control for what?

The player is either good enough to extend or not worth 1 more year with the 5th year option.  What did the Bills really accomplish by using the 5th year option on Edmunds & then letting him walk?  The goal is to get a guy who will earn a 2nd contract, not just 1 more year before he leaves because the team had to make a decision after his 3rd season.  

47 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

seems to good to be true BUT there always is a ton of interest in pick 33:

1. teams have 20 hours to think.talk about it, and

2. This year there are 3 players sticking out like a sore thumb:  DeJean, Johnson and Newton

Yup. Washington has to do something about their worst-in-the-league secondary/pass defense, so for me the obvious choice would be DeJean. They've spent so many high picks on d-line in recent times but to no real avail.  

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

To get #36 and #40, we could give up #33, #60, and one of our 2025 2nds. That would be equal value by the Rich Hill chart. It is a risk though because NE needs a WR. But we could double dip at WR at #36 and #40 in that scenario.

Can't we keep 60 and take their 67?

No way DeJean is the pick.  If they had him at the top of their board yesterday, they would have picked him.  There are no other comparable players left.  OTOH, there are 5 or 6 comparable WRs left so moving back while still targeting WR made a lot of sense.

1 minute ago, LLCoolCy said:

Tony Pauline has Buffalo looking at Mitchell and Coleman but open to trading down. 

“The Buffalo Bills open Round 2 with the 33rd selection and I’m told they are considering two receivers - Adonai Mitchell and Keon Coleman. The team will entertain offers to move down, as other franchises have been calling with the hopes of trading up for Cooper DeJean, Kool-Aid McKinstry or Jer'Zhan Newton. I’m told the Bills have at least two additional receivers highly rated on their board after Mitchell and Coleman and would be comfortable trading down for the right offer.”

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LLCoolCy said:

Tony Pauline has Buffalo looking at Mitchell and Coleman but open to trading down. 

Gun to my head give me Mitchell since he has better tape and you can, in theory, handle character stuff.

Coleman is a one trick pony with a limited route tree.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

“The Buffalo Bills open Round 2 with the 33rd selection and I’m told they are considering two receivers - Adonai Mitchell and Keon Coleman. The team will entertain offers to move down, as other franchises have been calling with the hopes of trading up for Cooper DeJean, Kool-Aid McKinstry or Jer'Zhan Newton. I’m told the Bills have at least two additional receivers highly rated on their board after Mitchell and Coleman and would be comfortable trading down for the right offer.”

And fwiw Charlie Campbell is saying he is hearing McConkey and Coleman for the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The difference, to me, is you have settled to call this a "semi-transitional" year.  I don't think we need to do that.  In order to avoid the "semi-transitional" year we should add a veteran WR.  The draft is for the future (and by the way, that is what Shakir was about).  We definitely should add a WR for the future (and with an early round pick hopefully get earlier returns so they can be useful this year),  And IMO start doing so on a more regular basis.

For 2024 though, A WR veteran is easily >5th rounder.   I give the DHop example but many others qualify.

Beane can, and should, assemble a WR room that gets the Bills back to a talent level that is not considered "transitional".

Once again, a 5th rounder has value beyond one season.  So saying DHop is better in the one season doesn't compare the value of the two players to the team overall.  And no disrespect, but adding DHop, or any other aging veteran, on a 1 year rental doesn't at all keep this from being a transitional year with all the changes we are going through not only in the WR room, but across the roster.  

Im fine getting a vet in here, but we have $31M in dead cap at WR this year.  We don't need to spend another $15M and draft picks on a one year aging vet rental.  Spend the draft pick on a young WR in this deep WR class who won't cost us much of anything cap wise in comparison.

I'd bet money it's Franklin...

Only three WR hit 21+ mph 2x last year: Marvin Harrison Jr., Xavier Worthy, and Troy Franklin.

At 22.3 mph, he was tied for 7th fastest top speed in all of college football at all positions in 2023.

For context, the fastest Tyreek hit last year was 22.01 (led nfl)

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Could probably trade from 33 down to 45 and still take Coleman.  

Just now, Mikey152 said:

I'd bet money it's Franklin...

Only three WR hit 21+ mph 2x last year: Marvin Harrison Jr., Xavier Worthy, and Troy Franklin.

At 22.3 mph, he was tied for 7th fastest top speed in all of college football at all positions in 2023.

Franklin is my choice

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

If we take a running back today, I’m ending it all

Cook and Ty Johnson are the only RB's they have. A 3rd round pick on a RB will not be the end of the world at all.

That said, I don't think they will draft a RB anyway.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Depends how they rate Mitchell, Coleman, Franklin, Polk, McConkey. If not a huge difference I would bundle to get an extra 2nd rather than adding more 4-7th rounders.

WSH has been mentioned with its multiple 2nds. So could try to get 36 and 40 but will cost pick 33 and 60 and a couple later rounds. So Bills have 36, 40 and 95.

AZ has three thirds - maybe you can get one or both the early ones for trading down. You can offer 33, 95 plus a later pick for 35 and 66. So Bills have 35, 60 and 66.

Not sure I move much further down than that. 

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow, with that much smoke…

I like Coleman but would want another early WR with a different skill set drafted soon after

Edited by LEBills

1 minute ago, boyst said:

My dream.  AD the wr from Texas now,  then the DUI DT, then the troy Franklin dude in 3rd

I don't think Franklin makes it to the 3rd round.

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

***** the one guy I don’t want. Has to be accurate 

1) schefter has his stamp on it

2) the fact they mention “Buffalo” and “weather” and “wind” means it’s def a mcbeane line of reasoning. Ughhhh

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, balln said:

2) the fact they mention “Buffalo” and “weather” and “wind” means it’s def a mcbeane line of reasoning. Ughhhh

THAT...WOULD...SUCK

Not sure if it's been mentioned already in this thread, but Cosell had some interesting comments today on OBL.

Said he looks at game films only, but parrotted that a lot have ranked Mitchell near the top three in terms of pure talent, but teams were scared away by the character issues.

If some of those are substantiated, he may fall quite a bit.

Edited by Rich Stadium Original

4 minutes ago, balln said:

This would suck. He has “N’Keal Harry” all over him

• Agree 1

Just now, nosejob said:

THAT...WOULD...SUCK

Hes kelvin Benjamin. another reason why I think it’s true. Beane / Carolina can’t help themselves to that fsu / acc chicken bleep soup

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1