McDermott is feeling the pressure

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

True… but they also deserve a lot of credit for taking a chance of Josh who many analysts predicted would be the next Christian Hackenberg or Paxton Lynch.    

They also did an outstanding job creating a plan to develop Josh as a QB

we're talking about the guy who's plan included a three way QB competition between rookie Allen, AJ McCarron, and Nathan Peterman? and then actually named Peterman starter? finally cut bait and threw Allen into one of the most talent deficient offenses in recent memory?

that plan?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

True… but they also deserve a lot of credit for taking a chance of Josh who many analysts predicted would be the next Christian Hackenberg or Paxton Lynch.    

Cmon man!  Plan? They threw him to the wolves after Peterman sucked. He literally sat for one half of one game. There was no plan. He had no WRs and a crap o-line that was so bad he got his elbow smashed. 

If you are going to defend McDermott you have to do better than that. 

57 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I personally can never forgive him for "13 seconds".  One of the most embarrassing moments of all time.  Absolute squandering of the best shot we had at winning the Super Bowl.

The problem with Sean and whatever legacy he has, will include the inability of any of his playoff defenses to come up with an impactful stop.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

Andy Reid interviewed today said its hard to win and then repeated it.  Literally today....

@Ethan in Cleveland is he feeling the heat too? I feel like every coach says it.  

Yeah I remember being furious at the time when Jauron said that but honestly I don't think there's a problem with a coach saying that when I think about it now.  I think part of the problem was when I grew up watching football there was still a lot of old school bravado coaches that didn't talk like that but we have also seen how coaches talk about how they are going to win the whole thing etc. and that doesn't mean that it's going to pan out for them either.  The truth is it really is hard to win in the NFL!  But I think fans were so fed up with Jauron for so many other reasons it was easy to pile on him when he started talking about how it was hard to win in the NFL.  There's no way any rational person can compare McDermott to Jauron over making that statement.  

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're wrong.  

Your evidence that he's feeling the pressure is based on you evaluation of his performance in a press conference.  He's ALWAYS been bad in press conferences.  He's uncomfortable, he doesn't like it, and he isn't good at figuring out how to give useful answers to questions without saying too much.  

It's ridiculous, meaning it's fair to subject you to ridicule, for you to compare McDermott to Dick Jauron.  McDermott has built a perennial top-five favorite to win the Super Bowl, and Jauron went 7-9 three years in a row before the team fell apart.  There is NO meaningful comparison.  

You're free to not like McDermott, but you're not going to convince anyone who knows football.  The 49ers aren't firing Shanahan and the Bills aren't replacing McDermott.  

Fair points. All.

What is your breaking point? Philadelphia had theirs with Reid. Tampa did with Dungy. Do you ever give up on him and go with someone else? 

Shanahan is closer to Levy with two SuperBowl appearances.  McDermott should be so lucky to be in the same sentence as Shanahan at this point. 

23 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Regarding drafting Josh: I give most of the credit to Beane and Pegula (no secret that Terry was a primary promoter of Josh as well as Mahomes).

Regarding developing Josh: I give very little credit to McD (especially when one looks at which side of the ball our first round picks have been). I give most of the credit for Josh's development to Josh and his offensive coordinators and QB coaches.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

we're talking about the guy who's plan included a three way QB competition between rookie Allen, AJ McCarron, and Nathan Peterman? and then actually named Peterman starter? finally cut bait and threw Allen into one of the most talent deficient offenses in recent memory?

that plan?

Him choosing Peterman over rookie Josh told me all I ever want to know about McDermott's offensive prowess (or lack there of).....

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, section122 said:

Andy Reid interviewed today said its hard to win and then repeated it.  Literally today....

@Ethan in Cleveland is he feeling the heat too? I feel like every coach says it.  

Thanks to McD's trade of the rights to draft Mahomes, being able to win has been a lot easier for Andy.

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

that plan?

This is a bad argument.

It WAS a terribly talent deficient offense. That is a HUGE reason one should hold off starting their rookie QB for as long as is prudent.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Bills fans who dislike the current HC because he hasn't won an SB need to get a grip on reality. So many teams have had elite great QBs and don't always get to the big dance.

Jim Kelly got there 4 times and didn't win one. Dan Marino got there once and never got back because Buffalo was in his way. How many did Drew Brees win, Aaron Rodgers win, and Brett Favre win? McNabb, Fouts, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, and Warren Moon never won one either. 

It is a "team" game and it takes a good offense, good defense, and a healthy team along with some good luck to even get to an SB.

Andrew Luck was a generational QB and the best record he ever got his team to was 11-5.

This franchise has taken a huge leap from what it was under the last owner and the last Buffalo HC in Rex Ryan. Think of all those bums of head coaches we Bills fans had to endure since 2000! This HC got to the playoffs with Tyrod Tylor at QB!

What sucks isn't the current Buffalo HC or FO, what does suck is the Kansas City Chiefs and their HC Andy Reid in the Buffalo Bills way. Otherwise, Buffalo might have been in the SB already. That and the team being plagued by defensive injuries. Exactly how many players have had an actual heart attack on the field during a game and not only survived but returned to the team? 

The DC that was responsible for the 13 seconds is gone and that was the year Buffalo should have gone.

All I can say is ...keep enjoying this QB, this HC, this GM, and what the future brings as all want to win a Super Bowl just as much as any of us. 

Half those QBs you listed played in the SuperBowl and two won SuperBowls so I fail to see the point.

Fair point regarding Fouts and Coryell who was ahead of his time but could not win the big game.

I think if you are going to argue continuity you should argue for Cowher who lost multiple AFC Championships and SuperBowls before winning a Lombardi. He's probably the exception that proves the rule.

1 minute ago, schoolhouserock said:

This is a bad argument.

It WAS a terribly talent deficient offense. That is a HUGE reason one should hold off starting their rookie QB for as long as is prudent.

Not an argument. Those were facts.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My bias against McDermott is well documented. 

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

Then the most ridiculous statement of all. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

So what does the board think? 

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

For those that defend McDermott, what do you all think?

13 seconds cost us a Super bowl-that was our year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

that plan?

It worked.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm not entirely sure of the intent of the OP.

Is it your intent to indicate that Sean McDermott feels pressure to win a championship in Buffalo? If so, I agree. I'd also say that's a no-brainer. All NFL head coaches -- particularly those who last longer than 3 or 4 seasons without winning a championship -- feel pressure to win a championship. Failure to do so inevitably leads to their dismissal from their job, so of course they feel pressure.

Is it your intent to indicate that the way Sean McDermott has been answering questions this offseason suggests that he feels he's on the hot seat? If so, I'm not sure I agree. Aside from the aforementioned pressure he feels as an NFL head coach, I view the way he's been answering questions this offseason more as a response to the recent spate of coverage of him and the Bills, starting with the Tyler Dunne piece last season and continuing through the "Bills' window is closed", "Bills haven't accomplished anything" talk that seems to gain strength more with these Bills than it does with any other non-title-winning team in the league. I actually LIKE the increase in "punch" to his responses and interviews since the Dunne piece came out. I feel he's stuck up for himself and his team more and been less milquetoast. I like that.

I made it very clear half way through last season that I wanted to see the Bills move on from McDermott. Since that time, the way he has responded as a man and as a coach, the way he's improved at various aspects of his job, the way the team and GM and owner have all rallied around him, and the way the Bills responded on the field after the piece's publication have all combined to make me feel that it doesn't make sense to move on from McDermott at this point in time. I'm still not 100% convinced that he's the man to lead the Bills to the promised land, but the good that he brings outweighs the bad to a significant enough degree that I think he's currently the best man for the job, and certainly deserves another season at the helm.

Very fair take.

I would have fired McDermott after the home Cincinnati loss. His players weren't ready to play. I understand he was a remarkable human being during the Hamlin crisis. But that was a month in the past at that point. And that was a season after 13 secs and still White was playing 10 yards off the LOS on a 3rd and short. 

I would have fired McD this year for Harbaugh or Belichick. I dont care about the injuries. His defense choked multiple games away. Josh was bad at times last year but McD defense and Special Teams lost multiple games after Josh had them won.

And I will go on record, no matter what happens he has to make the SuperBowl or they need to move on from him this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Look at a Justin Herbert though , who had a stacked roster but terrible coaching. 

McDermott is an elite HC imo and should be way more praised. He completely  hanged the culture and injected a mindset throughout this organization that we're championship material and yes we fell short but were a cpl plays away a cpl times

This team went from a laughing stock to must watch TV under McDermott 

He’s an excellent coach IMO, he turned around a losing culture and with Allen’s help created a winning culture.

The facts are that coaching and the defensive side of the ball have failed badly in the playoffs, as the defensive HC he’s responsible, I hope this year is the 1st year his defense actually gets better in the postseason as opposed to worse and they win a title, I believe it’s possible but the time is now to get it done.

The culture shift is accomplished, the winning culture has been instilled, you either take the next step or move aside.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Very fair take.

I would have fired McDermott after the home Cincinnati loss. His players weren't ready to play. I understand he was a remarkable human being during the Hamlin crisis. But that was a month in the past at that point. And that was a season after 13 secs and still White was playing 10 yards off the LOS on a 3rd and short. 

I would have fired McD this year for Harbaugh or Belichick. I dont care about the injuries. His defense choked multiple games away. Josh was bad at times last year but McD defense and Special Teams lost multiple games after Josh had them won.

And I will go on record, no matter what happens he has to make the SuperBowl or they need to move on from him this year. 

And if he makes the Super Bowl and loses, you’re on record that’s good enough to not fire him?

• Haha (+1) 1

MCD broke the playoff draught without Allen. He is more than talk. But even then he had tendencies that you could see would stop him from ever elevating beyond. 

These last two years he’s been figured out and Allen has been covering these flaws. Can he find it back?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think his pressers this offseason have been defensive. But I think it is likely triggered by the hatchet job from Ty Dunne. Which I think he has a right to be pissed by.

This

1 hour ago, section122 said:

No he didn't. First you are way overestimating how many coaches have won the sb and are still coaching.  Here is what mcd said.

“I think like anything, when you talk about the Bills, whether it’s Josh (Allen), myself, our team, we’ve had so much success,” he said. “What’s left for Josh and for all of us is to take that one more step that we need to take.”

Saying he isn't as good of a coach as Reid is silly.  Reid might go down as one of the top 10 coaches of all time.  Is that really the bar?  

You have reid and mcvay who have won a super bowl in the last 5 years.  So by the bar set by many every single coach in the nfl should be fired.  I posted elsewhere but Harbaugh has a 2 time mvp qb and hasnt had anywhere near the success since he won a sb 10+ years ago.

McDermott is a top 5 coach in the nfl right now period. 5 playoff wins since 2018 is tied for 2nd best in the afc and 5th in the nfl.  If you go to 2020 when Josh became Josh it is tied for 3rd.  

Only a handful of coaches have HOF QBs.

Shanahan is making the SuperBowl with a 7th round draft pick.

McDermott can't win a division round playoff game at home two years in a row with a top 3 QB. 

You must see the difference. 

To put it another way, any of those 31 other coaches wins 9 games with Allen at QB. Many of them win the division.  Some make the SuperBowl. But our HC can't beat KC at home. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

McDermott can't win a division round playoff game at home two years in a row with a top 3 QB. 

To put it another way, any of those 31 other coaches wins 9 games with Allen at QB. Many of them win the division.  Some make the SuperBowl. But our HC can't beat KC at home. 

They both lose to Mahomes. Shanny is just lucky he doesn’t have to play them in the second round. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

that plan?

This is a poor take imo.  

His plan worked out great.  There is no doubt 

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I can’t believe I going to chime in for Jauron here, but what do you think their respective records would look like if we swapped Beane for Levy/Brandon, and Pegula’s deep pockets for Wilson’s? I don’t think they would be quite as different as you may think.

Shoulda coulda woulda…, Jauron never won sh-t, ya can’t play the make believe card, McDermott has Beane and Allen,  so he has been reasonably successful, can’t be argued otherwise,  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Shanahan isn’t playing Mahomes in rd 2 and he’s playing against bum QBs to get to the SB.  

if the bills were in the nfc, I think our conference results would’ve been much better

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They both lose to Mahomes. Shanny is just lucky he doesn’t have to play them in the second round. 

💯
Step Brothers Ryan GIF

Edited by NewEra

20 minutes ago, julian said:

He’s an excellent coach IMO, he turned around a losing culture and with Allen’s help created a winning culture.

The facts are that coaching and the defensive side of the ball have failed badly in the playoffs, as the defensive HC he’s responsible, I hope this year is the 1st year his defense actually gets better in the postseason as opposed to worse and they win a title, I believe it’s possible but the time is now to get it done.

The culture shift is accomplished, the winning culture has been instilled, you either take the next step or move aside.

That's a great argument.. And I too am frustrated with getting stuck in the playoffs. 

Ya you're right we have to get better in the playoffs, get to a SB , but hypothetically, who would be better than McDermott?? That's the part I struggle with as I don't see any upgrades out there. 

Especially if you consider he's basically tied to Beane at the hip and he's a certified top GM

Edited by JerseyBills

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

That's a great argument.. And I too am frustrated with getting stuck in the playoffs. 

Ya you're right we have to get better in the playoffs, get to a SB , but hypothetically, who would be better than McDermott?? That's the part I struggle with as I don't see any upgrades out there. 

Especially if you consider he's basically tied to Beane at the hip and he's a certified top GM

Fair enough, but we have a 1st ballot HOF QB in his prime, McDermott has been with Allen for six seasons, I’ll even say to be fair, 4 season since Allen broke out in 2020, let’s assume 10 more seasons with Allen, do we just sit back and watch the same results over and over until 17 retires ? Or do we do everything we can to try and win a title, which may include rolling the dice on a lesser known coaching candidate or hiring a proven SB winning HC.

At some point you just have to try something different even though there’s never any guarantees IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Speaking for myself, I lost respect for him when he failed to take any ownership of the 13 second meltdown.

“We can just execute better, and that starts with me and goes all the way down,” McDermott said. “I don’t want to get into specifics right now. I’m really proud of the guys and their effort. Obviously [the Chiefs] made a couple of plays down the stretch. So I’ll just leave it at that right now.”

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

This is a terrible take.  Nobody has beat kc.  The Bills aren't  lucky enough to play in the opposite conference. 

The Bills have a top 3 qb I absolutely agree and they have lost to the best qb 3 of 4 years and the other guy in the top 3 the other year.  They aren't losing to scrub qbs.  

10 minutes ago, julian said:

Fair enough, but we have a 1st ballot HOF QB in his prime, McDermott has been with Allen for six seasons, I’ll even say to be fair, 4 season since Allen broke out in 2020, let’s assume 10 more seasons with Allen, do we just sit back and watch the same results over and over until 17 retires ? Or do we do everything we can to try and win a title, which may include rolling the dice on a lesser known coaching candidate or hiring a proven SB winning HC.

At some point you just have to try something different even though there’s never any guarantees IMO.

Of those 4 seasons mcvay and reid are the only hcs to win.  So everyone should be fired?

I just came across a crazy stat.  Over the last 10 years there are only 3 hcs still coaching in the nfl that have won a sb.  Pederson, McVay, and Reid.

Past those 10 years you can add Harbaugh, Peyton, Tomlin, and McCarthy.

I wont argue against mcvay or reid they are excellent hcs however the rest of the guys haven't had the success the Bills have since McD took over.

• Like (+1) 2