McDermott is feeling the pressure

48 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Reid and others have been to and won many SB’s.  McD was basically excusing the inability to sniff one. 

No he didn't. First you are way overestimating how many coaches have won the sb and are still coaching.  Here is what mcd said.

“I think like anything, when you talk about the Bills, whether it’s Josh (Allen), myself, our team, we’ve had so much success,” he said. “What’s left for Josh and for all of us is to take that one more step that we need to take.”

Saying he isn't as good of a coach as Reid is silly.  Reid might go down as one of the top 10 coaches of all time.  Is that really the bar?  

You have reid and mcvay who have won a super bowl in the last 5 years.  So by the bar set by many every single coach in the nfl should be fired.  I posted elsewhere but Harbaugh has a 2 time mvp qb and hasnt had anywhere near the success since he won a sb 10+ years ago.

McDermott is a top 5 coach in the nfl right now period. 5 playoff wins since 2018 is tied for 2nd best in the afc and 5th in the nfl.  If you go to 2020 when Josh became Josh it is tied for 3rd.  

• Like (+1) 1

Bills fans who dislike the current HC because he hasn't won an SB need to get a grip on reality. So many teams have had elite great QBs and don't always get to the big dance.

Jim Kelly got there 4 times and didn't win one. Dan Marino got there once and never got back because Buffalo was in his way. How many did Drew Brees win, Aaron Rodgers win, and Brett Favre win? McNabb, Fouts, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, and Warren Moon never won one either. 

It is a "team" game and it takes a good offense, good defense, and a healthy team along with some good luck to even get to an SB.

Andrew Luck was a generational QB and the best record he ever got his team to was 11-5.

This franchise has taken a huge leap from what it was under the last owner and the last Buffalo HC in Rex Ryan. Think of all those bums of head coaches we Bills fans had to endure since 2000! This HC got to the playoffs with Tyrod Tylor at QB!

What sucks isn't the current Buffalo HC or FO, what does suck is the Kansas City Chiefs and their HC Andy Reid in the Buffalo Bills way. Otherwise, Buffalo might have been in the SB already. That and the team being plagued by defensive injuries. Exactly how many players have had an actual heart attack on the field during a game and not only survived but returned to the team? 

The DC that was responsible for the 13 seconds is gone and that was the year Buffalo should have gone.

All I can say is ...keep enjoying this QB, this HC, this GM, and what the future brings as all want to win a Super Bowl just as much as any of us. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’ll say at this point it should be “Josh is a generational talent and the cornerstone of our club” and not “looking to be the face of the franchise”

people can deny it all they want but Allen and McDermott are a bad fit

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, julian said:

In general it’s hard to win in this league, when you have a Josh Allen it’s easier to win than 30 other teams, the truer statement is it’s hard to win a championship in this league when one side of the ball continually fails to show up in the playoffs.

But you won’t hear him say that because that side of the ball is his baby.

Look at a Justin Herbert though , who had a stacked roster but terrible coaching. 

McDermott is an elite HC imo and should be way more praised. He completely changed the culture and injected a mindset throughout this organization that we're championship material and yes we fell short but were a cpl plays away a cpl times

This team went from a laughing stock to must watch TV under McDermott 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

This was how I took it as well. Until Allen takes that final step in his game I don’t think Bills can win a superbowl.

Unless Allen starts to play on defense too, I don’t think he can do much more. Allen has been good enough to win a Super Bowl for a few years now. The problem is on the other side of the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My bias against McDermott is well documented. 

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

Then the most ridiculous statement of all. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

So what does the board think? 

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

For those that defend McDermott, what do you all think?

I stopped after your first sentence.  I knew it was a witch hunt.  Good try though

He's right though, it is hard. And plenty of other talented teams are thinking the same thing - we should be able to win a Super Bowl!

Don't you think the Bengals front office is thinking "we're THIS close, just need a bit more to get over the hump!" Same with the Ravens, 49ers, Lions, Eagles, Cowboys, etc.

Meanwhile, only 1 out of 32 teams win each year, and the Chiefs keep being that 1 team. The odds are against you every season. A LOT has to go right. The fact that Mahomes & Co. have won 3 x SBs already, and have finished in the AFCCG at worst, shows they're a step ahead of everyone else.

Sometimes we act like we're the only team that can't get over the Chiefs hump, and that if we could, we'd win a Super Bowl. And because we've gotten so close, it's truly within reach! But look at the other guys:

Chiefs beat the Bengals by 3 points in the AFCCG in 2022

Then they beat the Eagles by 3 points in the Super Bowl.

They beat the 49ers 2 x in the Super Bowl.

They beat us 2 x in the divisional round, both by 1 score.

They beat the Ravens by a TD in the AFCCG.

Only Brady & the Pats in Mahomes' first season starting, and the Bengals in OT back in 2021 managed to punch through that wall. All these teams thought they were so close, but it's not that simple. So I understand that the odds are stacked against us, and that it's not as simple as drafting some good players or signing some good FA's.

Every team gets to draft new players & sign FA's. We need to draft smarter, be more strategic with team building, get lucky with health, coach smarter and have our players not sh*t the bed in the playoffs (like the 2023 divisional round game, Josh included). That's a lot of things we need to fall into place.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over with the same result. It’s like a broken record nightmare. It just keeps repeating and never ends. 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

The huge difference is that Jauron didn’t win sh-t, he barely had winning records, where as McDermott has won The AFCE repeatedly and goes to the playoffs annually, this coming from a fan that feels Sean plateaued /peaked as a HC with the 13 second game, and his “ vaunted” defensive scheme is ineffective against elite level teams. I think the difference between as fan like means a fan like you is I always hope for the best, and I have other hobbies…, 

I can’t believe I going to chime in for Jauron here, but what do you think their respective records would look like if we swapped Beane for Levy/Brandon, and Pegula’s deep pockets for Wilson’s? I don’t think they would be quite as different as you may think.

Edited by vincec

2 hours ago, uninja said:

He's probably defensive because he hears the 'do or die' music playing real loud right now. The window on Josh's rookie deal is closed, he's been provided good rosters the last couple of years and has had all the tools he needs to get it done and the team keeps coming up short.

Him launching into that unprompted is very likely an effect of this conversation being had with him by the Bills org behind closed doors. 

Is he a good coach? Absolutely, he's a tremendous leader of men and a great 'get the culture right' guy.

Is he a Super Bowl winning coach? That one is looking increasingly more dubious.

I would argue that the "good rosters" are largely a product of the coaching staff's ability to develop players and help them play to their highest level. That's actually the largest indication of good coaching. Fans think coaching is only play calling and clock management. Those things are important too, but the real work the coaches do is in practice.

• Like (+1) 2

Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  

This is true (perhaps this would be Andy's way of repaying McD for trading the right to pick Mahomes).

McD would forever be known for that trade.

Without Josh, I can only imagine how bad our record otherwise would be. McD (and we) are VERY LUCKY to have Josh.

Edited by Peter
  • Agree 1

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

I’m not a Sean supporter but he’s not going anywhere barring a total collapse( missing playoffs). To be totally objective, Sean saved his job with a fine performance in the last 8 games. He dumped Dorsey, installed Brady and got Cook and Kincaid involved in the offense. He acquired Douglas and got better play out of Dodson and Bernard. I think it’s realistic to expect improvement next season with more explosive skill players (Samuel, the 1st or 2nd rd.receiver and continued development of Cook and Kincaid) along with better DL play with Johnson, a full season with DQ and a contribution from Miller. I think our secondary will improve( Edward’s, a highly drafted safety and better use of Rapp)  The players love the guy and play hard for him. He should be commended for being bold enough to hold Josh accountable. We need Josh to have a strong HC and not have a yes man. Now some of his game day decisions have been mind blowing but hopefully he improves.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Reid and others have been to and won many SB’s.  McD was basically excusing the inability to sniff one. 

agree the roster is setup to win. Disagree with the Mahomes issue.  Allen is a better playoff and reg season QB.  The reason we have not won is coaching related—particularly the D. 

I agree coaching is a big part...but injuries particularly on defense the last two years cannot be ignored.  Injuries happen but multiple starters at every level of the defense have had a huge impact.  Yet the Bills lost by less than 6 pts.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I did not get that impression he’s on the hot seat at all.  As far as his “narrow-minded” comment what should he have said?  Obviously, they’ve fallen short of their goal but he’s trying to put a positive spin of what they accomplished rather than focusing what they haven’t.  This is textbook “growth mindset” which he always preaches.

As for as job security - go back and watch the locker room video where Beane enthusiastically presents him the game ball in front of the entire team.  He’s completely on the same page as McDermott.

Then take a look at the flailing Sabres.  Pegula probably should clean house - but he’s choosing to show an extreme amount of loyalty and patience.  There’s zero change he fires a coach who’s actually successful.  

Finally, do you think the NFL would put a coach on shaky ground in the competition committee?  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is true (perhaps this would be Andy's way of repaying McD for trading the right to pick Mahomes).

McD would forever be known for that trade.

Without Josh, I can only imagine how bad our record otherwise would be. McD (and we) are VERY LUCKY to have Josh.

True… but they also deserve a lot of credit for taking a chance of Josh who many analysts predicted would be the next Christian Hackenberg or Paxton Lynch.    

They also did an outstanding job creating a plan to develop Josh as a QB