Bills sign Mack Hollins

40 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I am to the point I don't give a **** if they can run block or not.  Create separation, get open, catch the damn ball consistently.  THEN we can talk about the damn run blocking.

Seems like a great idea til december and january home games - then not being able to run or stop the run because we spent all the money on WRs looks a tad foolish.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WickedGame said:

Agree with these points. Although I’ll add that I don’t want my #2 WR receiver to be purely a straight-line-speed/go routes guy. I want him to be a separator. With hands, ideally. Someone who can run a full route tree…maybe even some of those deep middle routes you mentioned. A unicorn, I know, but it got to where Gave was only useful on a deep go. Splashy? Sure. But give me a guy who requires a DB to make decisions. Ideally, poor decisions. 

Would you take DK Metcalf? Because he was considered to be only a deep/go route type before the draft. I'm considering Legette at 28 more and more. He's shown he can be a deep threat, contested catch guy and a RAC guy. Keon Coleman is my #2 at 28. Mike Williams type of receiver

Can't have a bills team without "core special teamers"

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Would you take DK Metcalf? Because he was considered to be only a deep/go route type before the draft. I'm considering Legette at 28 more and more. He's shown he can be a deep threat, contested catch guy and a RAC guy. Keon Coleman is my #2 at 28. Mike Williams type of receiver

Is this a rhetorical question or....

To all our our criers, newsflash; we have zero need at TE. We have our #1 & #3 WR and we have 3 WRs behind them with veteran experience. Then, we have 11 Draft picks in a WR rich Draft year.

Mow the lawn and chill out.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

adds to the long list of WR bums Beane has singed over the years.

how many heads can he fit on Rushmore?

Brown Bease and Sanders were all pretty solid.  

So the long list would be...

Roberts - KR/PR which after seeing mckenzie attempt to do this i wasn't at all shocked they wanted someone there who could i dunno... catch the ball on the return.  2yr 4.6M.  

Kumerow - Less than 1M per year and essentially on a rookie deal.  Not sure why i should care on his age when he's essentially the same price as anyone else.  I also don't think having him prohibited the team from adding other players.  

Crowder - Got hurt.  Came off a decent couple seasons.  1yr 2M.  Like 0 risk, and was a bease replacement.

Harty - Returner.  Overpay.  Didn't work out.  Had a built in out in his contract.

Sherfield - 1.7M is again nothing.  750k dead cap had he been beaten out by a rookie.  

Harty was the only one in the group of "bums" that they spent any money on.  And in 2023 his AAV was still lower than what they spent on brown and bease in 2019, and Sanders in 2021.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

I never said it was a $3 mil base in any post, it can be up to this amount per ESPN and Yahoo sports.  Still wasted money on a player that should not have been signed.  They commit money in a contract signing versus drafting someone for the same purpose and if a rookie can't make the team there is no lost revenue.  Instead of being stuck with someone that will be on the bench.

Let me rephrase cast off players to just players no one would sign for the money that Buffalo paid them to come here and play,  these money pit contracts have been a habit of this ownership and GM for 7 years. 

Oh wait a minute,  I hear that name coming again!!!   Von who?????

Enough said.....

Von Miller was a cast off player?

Are the Bills the only team to overpay for players?  

You’re right.  No one would sign Leonard Floyd to $7 million last year.  How much did the 49ers sign him for?  Has to be less than the Bills right?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He really isn't.  Hollins is the more polished receiver.  

My brother is a Falcons fan, so I follow them more than the average fan.  I hope Mack gets opportunities because he's going to shock a lot of people.

Dude even if your brother is a Falcons fan, don’t pretend he or you know more than anyone about Mack ***** Hollins.

He had 18 catches in 13 games. My god.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

If he replaces Neal at gunner than there's a good chance we can go back to carrying 6 wr's as well. 

So it's:

1. Diggs

2. Draft (1st or 2nd round)

3. Shakir

4. Draft (please)

5. Hollins vs. Shorter

6. ??? 

Great point re: replacing Neal at gunner. Hollins is a great gunner and absolutely will replace Neal.

Instead of thinking about WR depth chart, lets think about pass catchers in the Bills offense:

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. 1st round / 2nd round draft pick

4. Shakir

5. Cook

6. Knox

7. Hollins / Shorter

8. Late draft or cheap FA

If we draft a legit #2 WR, we're all set. We don't need to spend another premium pick or premium contract on a WR that would probably be the 8th weapon in the passing game. Something to think about in different context!

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And those reasons are?  Right now we are worse off than last year and we hope an answer at WR comes in the draft.

One reason I've found to be positive and excited is I think this move can be an indicator that the FO is not only going to go WR in the first, but they are doing so with the intention of playing this WR early.

They brought in a non-threatening veteran backup WR to possibly help our new #1 pick.  This isn't a D Mooney or C Samuel where the issue can get murky. 

We'll be going Diggs/rookie/Shakir/Kincaid/ and Cook with some Knox as the main components.  That seems potent to me, not only next season but the future seems bright - only Diggs to deal with on the horizon in this scenario as long as the rookie pans out.

Who will be the lucky rookie WR that gets this gig?  Thomas/A Mitchell/X Legette?  The draft is going to be must see TV.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Great point re: replacing Neal at gunner. Hollins is a great gunner and absolutely will replace Neal.

Instead of thinking about WR depth chart, lets think about pass catchers in the Bills offense:

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. 1st round / 2nd round draft pick

4. Shakir

5. Cook

6. Knox

7. Hollins / Shorter

8. Late draft or cheap FA

If we draft a legit #2 WR, we're all set. We don't need to spend another premium pick or premium contract on a WR that would probably be the 8th weapon in the passing game. Something to think about in different context!

I also think this wr class is so stacked that you can find some real value on Day 3 at the position. 

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And those reasons are?  Right now we are worse off than last year and we hope an answer at WR comes in the draft.

You’re saying we’re worse off at WR because we lost Gabe Davis, Sherfield, and Harty? I must respectfully disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

To all our our criers, newsflash; we have zero need at TE. We have our #1 & #3 WR and we have 3 WRs behind them with veteran experience. Then, we have 11 Draft picks in a WR rich Draft year.

Mow the lawn and chill out.

I agree with you, but I'm still not mowing the lawn.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Dude even if your brother is a Falcons fan, don’t pretend he or you know more than anyone about Mack ***** Hollins.

He had 18 catches in 13 games. My god.

That's more about about opportunities then a lack of talent.  This is the same team that struggles to get Pitts involved. 

The year prior he caught 57 balls.  

I'm a daily fantasy player.  I know Mack Hollins.

• Like (+1) 1

There are a couple prominent philosophies on this board that I will never understand.

1. The endless desire to convert decent corners to safety.

2. The idea that that you can just plug any UDFA into depth spots and get similar results to a multi year vet.

There is a reason most of those guys washout without ever making a roster. There is a reason that EVERY team has half a dozen vets playing depth/ST roles. Expecting to hit and get contributors on your UDFA's and later round picks is a recipe for disaster. If this was a bottom dweller team undergoing a rebuild, OK. Maybe you take that chance. That is not Bills situation. They will never rebuild as long as Josh is under center. They are going to make sure to cover their butts with options. If a draft pick or UDFA outperforms him, great.

If they fail to invest significantly in the draft at WR, go nuts. Anybody that thought we were going to pay 8 figures APY for the Mooneys or Samuels of the world was kidding themselves. We're shopping at the Dollar Store this year to reset the cap.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2