Bills sign Mack Hollins

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But that one thing that stands out is something that McBeane covets, blocking.  Hollins a one of the better run blocking WRs in the league.  I think he’ll play more than Sherfield did last season while also being more productive.  I see him playing a role in our heavy run blocking sets and being a decent weapon out of play action in those sets. 

I currently see him as WR5 but wouldn’t be surprised if he got WR4 reps over a WR not taken in rd 1.  Not because I think he’s a good WR, but because I think he can contribute in other ways, ie blocking in the short passing game and run game.  

dude was stuck with the worst QB situation last season and in an offense predicated on the run. I think he’s closer to the 2022 version of Mack Hollins than he is the 2023 version.  His tape isn’t bad.  

There's really nothing about Hollins that indicates that he won't be a much better option than the guys we've brought in these past few seasons. His measurables are better than Davis', and he's shown to have better hands. And as you stated, he was in a terrible offense last season, but was pretty productive in the Raiders offense the prior year. A year where he helped Josh Jacobs lead the league in rushing and had 700 yards receiving and four TD's. He will have a much better QB and offense here than any other of his stops, so I like his chances to make an impact.

He will be the number four receiver, and he will be involved in the offense. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How does Mack Hollins have 24 pages?

Because we all feel the need to tell everyone he's not a great player and the signing of a back end of the roster/special teams contributor is an indictment on the franchise.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who is being fooled lol?  How extreme and dramatic do you get?  And I'm the 6 year old?

Everyone is saying this guy is a depth piece which he is.  

No it doesn't make you right.  What would make you right is you proving your strategy is successful.  Your 4-7 stringers are UDFA and anyone at the monkey intelligence level could play special teams.  So, tell me one team that employs that strategy in the history of the NFL.  

Not one team does or have ever done what you want the Bills to do.  Obviously every single GM in the history of the NFL believes you need veteran depth, including special teams.  But when the Bills don't your completely unrealistic strategy, you B word and whine like a 6 year old.

And the "I don't care what others teams do" statement is weak.  Especially with a strategy you're suggesting that no GM would ever do. 

There are 53 players on your roster.  46 on game days.  22 starters and they are your top contributors and not all your starters are good to solid...the Bills like all teams have weak starters.  Which means, most of your team isn't top or even average contributors.  Which is also why the majority of your teams salaries are players in the $1-$2 million dollar ranges.  Which finally means, every team has multiple Mack Hollins level players and salaries on their rosters.  But when the Bills do it, you lose your mind.  Do you not realize how completely unrealistic you're being?

If you want to say we don't have enough elite talent, yes, that's a solid argument.  If the Bills make this guy the #2, yeah that's a good reason to B word.  But to argue like a 6 year old about the Bills signing a Mack Hollins type of player when every single team in the history of the NFL has about a 1/3 of their roster with this level player, that's just incredibly stupid.  

Name one UDFA rookie last year that had 35 catches and 300 yards last year.  Name one.

Betting on a guy who I think is going to be at best our #5 WR?  Why in the world would I take that bet lol?  Are you thinking that I think he's our #2 or something?  Because after Diggs, Kincaid, Shakir, Knox and most likely a draft pick, those guys are going to pretty much all the targets.  What is the point of this bet?

I’m done with you. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m done with you. 

Is it because you made the statement that a rookie UDFA could put up 300 yards and 35 catches when not a single one did it last year?

Or is it because you can't come up with a team in which all their back end roster depth is all UDFA and they are more intelligent than monkeys?

Interesting that you say "any respectable coach could get monkeys to stay in their lanes on a kickoff...."

I guess Wade Phillips wasn't a respectable coach.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Would you take DK Metcalf? Because he was considered to be only a deep/go route type before the draft. I'm considering Legette at 28 more and more. He's shown he can be a deep threat, contested catch guy and a RAC guy. Keon Coleman is my #2 at 28. Mike Williams type of receiver

I don’t dislike Legette, but I have some concerns. Body type, downfield, contested catches, etc. are intriguing. But limited career production and some inconsistency/drops. I’d like him more as a 2nd rounder. 

• Agree 1

24 pages on WR5/Trent Sherfield's replacement? Gotta love the offseason.

Hollins should be our ST ace. Apparently, when he was in Philly he even complained about having to play WR when all he wanted to focus on was Special Teams.

The issue last year with Sherfield was instead of keeping him to his best suited role, the Bills forced him to step in for Diggs. Sherfield is no replacement for Diggs. Even in spot action. Neither is Hollins. All players mentioned know this. The coaches should know it too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Because we have literally signed only him and Morrow. WGR has had hours sent discussing him as well. This is a move in most other places would be barely noticed. We dont talk about KJ Hamler and I dont see much difference in terms of level of player. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hollins should be our ST ace. Apparently, when he was in Philly he even complained about having to play WR when all he wanted to focus on was Special Teams.

The issue last year with Sherfield was instead of keeping him to his best suited role, the Bills forced him to step in for Diggs. Sherfield is no replacement for Diggs. Even in spot action. Neither is Hollins. All players mentioned know this. The coaches should know it too.

“I’ll never want to be a guy that gives up special teams because I want to play on offense,” Hollins said on Thursday after practice at NovaCare Complex. “If I can’t play both, my mindset is that I just play teams. But I think I’m capable of playing both, I played both last week and I’m gonna give my all in either one. If I’m going to drop off in one of them, it’ll be offense and I’ll go play special teams harder.” Hollins called himself a “weird guy” on Thursday, though that had more to do with his affinity for snakes and some other quirks. But in the realm of receivers, he’s certainly unique.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

“I’ll never want to be a guy that gives up special teams because I want to play on offense,” Hollins said on Thursday after practice at NovaCare Complex. “If I can’t play both, my mindset is that I just play teams. But I think I’m capable of playing both, I played both last week and I’m gonna give my all in either one. If I’m going to drop off in one of them, it’ll be offense and I’ll go play special teams harder.” Hollins called himself a “weird guy” on Thursday, though that had more to do with his affinity for snakes and some other quirks. But in the realm of receivers, he’s certainly unique.

But, does he believe in space, and planets and stuff???  I think that would be a good start. 

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is it because you made the statement that a rookie UDFA could put up 300 yards and 35 catches when not a single one did it last year?

Or is it because you can't come up with a team in which all their back end roster depth is all UDFA and they are more intelligent than monkeys?

Interesting that you say "any respectable coach could get monkeys to stay in their lanes on a kickoff...."

I guess Wade Phillips wasn't a respectable coach.

I’m done with you. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Because the Buffalo Bills continue to waste money the little cap space and money they have on things that the Bills don’t need instead of addressing the secondary needs on the Bills. Plus he isn’t that good why bother dime a dozen UFL level player in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Because the Buffalo Bills continue to waste money the little cap space and money they have on things that the Bills don’t need instead of addressing the secondary needs on the Bills. Plus he isn’t that good why bother dime a dozen UFL level player in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Should we leave some roster spots open? Would that make you happier? 

They are doing what they do every year at this time, filling holes before the draft. They are not going to be All Pros, but every roster has guys like this. We don’t play a meaningful game until next fall. A lot will happen before then. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Should we leave some roster spots open? Would that make you happier? 

They are doing what they do every year at this time, filling holes before the draft. They are not going to be All Pros, but every roster has guys like this. We don’t play a meaningful game until next fall. A lot will happen before then. 

The Bills FO has brought this criticism on themselves.  They've been of the philosophy that a strong team across the board with depth can win a Super Bowl.  Because of that, we've missed swings that "maybe" could have lead to a different outcome.  See last year, spending money on guys like Hines, Matakevich, Poyer.. when maybe Hopkins is what we needed to make a play in the big moment.  

It's scar tissue.  Some of us would rather backfill with the boatload of Day 3 picks we have and get one big piece.. but we were also backed into a corner of our own making where Jones and Epenesa were necessity re-signings. 

16 hours ago, Billl said:

Gabe Davis had 27 regular season TD receptions and 6 more in the postseason while earning a total of just under $4 million.  How have so many convinced themselves that losing him is addition by subtraction?  

The Jags just signed Davis to a three-year, $39M contract. If the Bills had decided to retain him, and pay him anywhere near that, I can well imagine this board would hit the ceiling. But nobody should mistake Hollins for Davis's replacement. He's likely a situational WR, and STer. If he makes the 53, and actually gets his max payment of $3M, it means he worked out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I know.

Hollins is not the only WR we are going to add.  They will add another one via draft or squeeze some money in FA....they are not leaving a hole at #2 WR.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m done with you. 

Is it because the 1999 Buffalo Bills special teams were dumber than monkeys?

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Mcdermott wants to be a ground and pound team and will end up wasting Allen's prime years trying to play this way. 

He does not want to be a ground and pound team.

Josh Allen since 2019 when he became the true starter, is 3rd in most passing attempts.  Only Goff and Mahomes have more.

And since the Bills have the biggest point differential in the last few years, we haven't thrown the ball in many games in the second half because we are up by 3 scores.

McDermott is one of the most pass happy coaches in the league.  The statistics prove it.