Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So question for the masses during a Lul.

While I am sure it is something Front Offices think of, do you think that they obsess over things Like Compensatory Picks like the fans do. I am sure they have some level of consideration as they are building their off-season plans, but do you think it gets as much time in the NFL FOs as fans give to this program?

I'm sure front offices project everything.  Assets are assets after all and draft picks are players and the higher the pick, usually the better the player.  My guess is they figured they'd get a 3rd compensatory and therefore giving up a 3rd for Douglas was well worth it.  Getting a pick, 40 picks later has to be a disappointment.  

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

WR2. WR3. FS. IOL depth. S depth. DT depth.

54 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Draft

Draft

Draft

Draft

Draft

Draft

11 picks 

The Bills have:

1 x 1st rounder

1 x 2nd rounder

2 x 4th rounders

3 x 5th rounders

3 x 6th rounders

1 x 7th rounder

Are we really relying on 7 x 5th round picks to all be signed & fill our roster needs? Plenty of those will be bundled to move around in the draft, but 5th/6th/7th rounders aren't netting you too much either way.

Then again, our 6th & 7th round CBs contributed more than our 1st round CB, so maybe we'll get lucky.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I'm sure front offices project everything.  Assets are assets after all and draft picks are players and the higher the pick, usually the better the player.  My guess is they figured they'd get a 3rd compensatory and therefore giving up a 3rd for Douglas was well worth it.  Getting a pick, 40 picks later has to be a disappointment.  

I agree here, but do you think they also go into their offseason saying OK we need to not sign above two CFAs because we will need those Two Picks? Or is it more of ok we built the team had the draft, this is what we are projecting as CFA assets to assist in deadline and camp trades?

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

The Bills have:

1 x 1st rounder

1 x 2nd rounder

2 x 4th rounders

3 x 5th rounders

3 x 6th rounders

1 x 7th rounder

Are we really relying on 7 x 5th round picks to all be signed & fill our roster needs? Plenty of those will be bundled to move around in the draft, but 5th/6th/7th rounders aren't netting you too much either way.

Then again, our 6th & 7th round CBs contributed more than our 1st round CB, so maybe we'll get lucky.

Safety's need to come from 5th round and below as do some DB's.  WR, DL, OL from higher than that.  I really wish we had that damn 3rd round comp pick.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Even if Dawkins isn't the best Tackle out there, I love how much he loves Buffalo, the Bills franchise, Allen & the fans.

It's not often that one of your most outspoken players is an offensive linemen, but I hope he retires a Bill.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

The Bills have:

1 x 1st rounder

1 x 2nd rounder

2 x 4th rounders

3 x 5th rounders

3 x 6th rounders

1 x 7th rounder

What was Milano?  I can do this ALL day point to late round picks contributing.  Not all Positions need top picks (really only QBs)

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

What was Milano?  I can do this ALL day point to late round picks contributing.  Not all Positions need top picks (really only QBs)

5th round, but we all know the likelihood of a late round guy panning out vs guys in the top 3 rounds is quite significant.

I'm not even disagreeing that we can't find guys in the late rounds, only that it's not a smart bet to assume you'll get multiple starters out of 5th, 6th & 7th round guys. Earlier this year I was listing off all the great WRs that came from later rounds, so I'm all about that.

But there's a good reason 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks are valued so much higher than last day draft picks.

On 3/3/2024 at 4:40 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

Edit by BuffaloBill (moderator):

I thought I would create one thread and do the following:

Merge the current cap projection threads

Provide a daily update for 2024 in the first post from sportrac and over the cap as being primary sources

While not a reliable # yet, update daily, in the first post, the 2025 projections from the same sources

The remainder of the thread will contain “normal” chatter on the topic.

2024 projections 3/11/2024 - 9:00 AM:

Sportrac: $4,028,171 Over (with Tre shown as “active”)

Overthecap: $1,633,453 Over (with Tre Shown as “active”)

2025 projections 3/11/2024 - 9:00 AM:

Sportrac: $36,557,193 Under 

Overthecap: $17,874,749  Under (Suspect this is not fully updated - check their site later)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original Thread Start by GASabresIUFan :

1.  McGovern's contract restructured.  Cap Savings $3.74 Million

2. Bills release RB Hines.  Cap Savings $4.66 million

3. Bates traded to Chicago for a 5th.  Cap Savings $1.44 Million.

4. Poyer Released - cap savings $5.47 million

5. Neal Released - cap savings  $2.88 million

6. Edwards re-signs -2 years $6 million.  Cap Hit 2.31 (spotrac)

7. Douglas contract restructure - cap savings $2.5 million

8. Morse released - cap savings $8.47 million

9. Harty released - cap savings $4.195

10. White released (June 1) -  cap savings $10 million

11. Matt Haack signed - cap cost 985K

12. Von Miller restructured - cap savings $8.855 million

13. Rapp re-signed - 3 years for 14.5 million - cap hit 2.842 million

14. Trubisky signed -2 years for $5.25 - cap hit 2.0 million

15. Morris re-signed - 1 year 985K - cap hit 985K

16. Knox restructure - terms TBD

17. Dawkins extended - 3 years 60.5 million - cap change TBD

18. Cam Lewis re-signs - 2 years 4 million - cap charge TBD

19. Epenesa re-signs - 2 years $ TBA - cap charge 3.94

20. Allen restructure - 16.7 million in cap savings 

21. DaQuan Jones re-signs - 2 years 16 million - cap charge TBD

Spotrac has us with 883K of cap space, and there was much rejoicing.  These numbers don't reflect the re-signing of Jones, and Lewis, the extension for Dawkins and the Knox pay cut.

Thank You, I was wondering about this

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Milano wasn’t expected to start his rookie year (and shouldn’t have been) and was beat out by Ramon Humber.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Milano wasn’t expected to start his rookie year (and shouldn’t have been) and was beat out by Ramon Humber.

Ok cool what is your point?  When you pay a QB you need to get contributions on Rookie Deals.  I can point to all pro after all pro in multiple positions from later rounds.  

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok cool what is your point?  When you pay a QB you need to get contributions on Rookie Deals.  I can point to all pro after all pro in multiple positions from later rounds.  

I can point to a far larger list of bust after bust from multiple positions from later rounds… which is kinda obvious and shouldn’t need to be explained lol.

45 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Per who? (Thanks in advance!)

Math.

This thread had us at about $10-$12m over before yesterday.  Yesterday alone we freed  at least $27m between Josh, Knox and Dion.  Re-signing Daquan, Epenesa and Cam Lewis isn't going to be more than $15m against the CAP in 2024

Edited by transplantbillsfan

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Math.

This thread had us at about $10-$12m over before yesterday.  Yesterday alone we freed  at least $27m between Josh, Knox and Dion.  Re-signing Daquan, Epenesa and Cam Lewis isn't going to be more than $15m against the CAP in 2024

Plus rules. I don’t think Beane will put himself in a situation to be scrambling.  Bills have to be cap compliant by 4pm tomorrow.

If the Bills are truly just near neutral, they either will not do much else or they need to do some more work which would be restructuring Diggs (boo) or extending Taron Johnson.  Johnson wont buy that much though  I guess they do more conversion of Allen's deal but I am guessing we will see low one year deals from here on out.   On June 1 they will get 10M for Tre but that will be needed for draft class, practice squad and in season injuries.  It seems like we are seeing a conservative Beane this year.

10 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If the Bills are truly just near neutral, they either will not do much else or they need to do some more work which would be restructuring Diggs (boo) or extending Taron Johnson.  Johnson wont buy that much though  I guess they do more conversion of Allen's deal but I am guessing we will see low one year deals from here on out.   On June 1 they will get 10M for Tre but that will be needed for draft class, practice squad and in season injuries.  It seems like we are seeing a conservative Beane this year.

It’s very possible safety and a lot of depth moves come after the draft.

• Like (+1) 3

I just found this latest Cap # according to overthecap.com the Bills have close to $12 million for their 2024 estimated drafted rookie contracts.  I did not know we had that amount determined for this year.  So at least that number means we will be spending at least 5 to 6 million on rookie contracts.  So much for having all those picks.  A lot of them are going to be traded away to move up in the draft.  

image.png.7543ca1c4336089e89522c372c17c14e.png

Edited by Toyo321

18 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

I just found this latest Cap # according to overthecap.com the Bills have close to $12 million for their 2024 drafted rookie contracts.  I did not know we had that much set aside this year.  So at least that number is promising.  Some teams don't even have $10 mil set aside, there were 11 teams under $10mil, some teams with all their draft picks like Philly and the 49ers have with all their comp picks only have $12 mil or less.  So much for having all those picks.  A lot of them are going to be traded away.  Kind of Funny the Browns don't even have $5 mil set aside for rookie contracts.

The rookies will cost about $3M in "additional" cap space from where they are now.

34 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

I just found this latest Cap # according to overthecap.com the Bills have close to $12 million for their 2024 drafted rookie contracts.  I did not know we had that much set aside this year.  So at least that number is promising.  Some teams don't even have $10 mil set aside, there were 11 teams under $10mil, some teams with all their draft picks like Philly and the 49ers have with all their comp picks only have $12 mil or less.  So much for having all those picks.  A lot of them are going to be traded away.  Kind of Funny the Browns don't even have $5 mil set aside for rookie contracts.

If the Bills pick eleven free safeties like that thing predicts, this board is going to be absolute bedlam. 

• Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

If the Bills pick eleven free safeties like that thing predicts, this board is going to be absolute bedlam. 

That is pretty funny !!! 🤣  

That F-S value is the ranking given to each draft position, as assigned by this scale used here from a data survey from 2011 to 2015.

https://overthecap.com/draft-trade-value-chart

31 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

No Money Confused Travolta GIF

I’m honestly fine with them not being hasty and letting the market come to them. We all like an early splash to get us excited, but I understand our fiscal position. I guess I’m more surprised at not hearing much more today about what they are doing to free up some additional space for cap compliance and maybe a little walking around money. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

I’m honestly fine with them not being hasty and letting the market come to them. We all like an early splash to get us excited, but I understand our fiscal position. I guess I’m more surprised at not hearing much more today about what they are doing to free up some additional space for cap compliance and maybe a little walking around money. 

Outside of a Taron Johnson extension, which we're at the mercy of his agent and an unknown time clock for (if we can even get it done this year) and an Ed Oliver re-structure - there's really not much more we can do that we haven't done already.

A Sam Martin release could free up a little over a million. Maybe a Milano re-structure? There's a Diggs restructure too - but I think that might be something we don't want to do.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Outside of a Taron Johnson extension, which we're at the mercy of his agent and an unknown time clock for (if we can even get it done this year) and an Ed Oliver re-structure - there's really not much more we can do that we haven't done already.

A Sam Martin release could free up a little over a million. Maybe a Milano re-structure? There's a Diggs restructure too - but I think that might be something we don't want to do.

Agreed. Ed and Taron are the last two levers to pull. 

Can we release Taylor Rapp and sign a proper safety? Just pretend it was all a bad dream? 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Bills Cap Status - See update 1st post - Bills currently $.8 under - $1.5 over cap 3/13/2024 7:50AM
9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Why would they restructure anyone else when they left $8 million with Josh?

Some believe they did do Oliver though. I think we’ll see a Taron Johnson extension. They definitely aren’t all in on cash spending this year.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. Ed and Taron are the last two levers to pull. 

Can we release Taylor Rapp and sign a proper safety? Just pretend it was all a bad dream? 

He is a proper safety.  Fans better get used to him starting

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Is it possible the bills are waiting for the new league year to start before signing free agents so they're "cap compliment"? 

No team can sign a player with an expiring contract from another team before 4 pm today. They can only agree to terms. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

The $12 million you cite is the estimated cost of signing the picks that Terry Pegula needs, which is only partially related to the expected cap hit, the $3.25 million number. 

18 hours ago, FireChans said:

I can point to a far larger list of bust after bust from multiple positions from later rounds… which is kinda obvious and shouldn’t need to be explained lol.

Cool I can also point to UFA failure after UFA Failure with guaranteed money from mulitple positions EVERY year, that is kinda obvious and shouldnt need to be explained lol.

So what hurts the team more.  A UFA Bust that you cannot get out of without dead money.  Or a 4th round rookie Bust?

Edited by MAJBobby

59 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Is it possible the bills are waiting for the new league year to start before signing free agents so they're "cap compliment"? 

Brandon Beane isn't usually active during the first couple days of Free Agency. 

When he does sign a guy early, they aren't usually the big-splash names.  The few times he's made an exception and been aggressive (Von Miller, Star Lotulelei), it really hasn't worked out in the end.  Mitch Morse is probably Beane's best "big-time" signing.  And even with him, many people complained offseason after offseason about him being overpaid and a possible cut-candidate.

Last year was probably the best offseason Beane has had in Free Agency since becoming the Bills General Manager.  Especially when you consider the limits he had in salary cap space.  He was able to grab depth bargains everywhere by simply being patient, waiting until other teams ran out of money, and THEN going after guys who missed on the musical chairs.  Hey, you didn't get the $$ contract you wanted, but you can still play on a Super Bowl contender.  Sure, not every signing worked out.  But he did get some strong contributors (Leonard Floyd, Taylor Rapp, David Edwards, Jordan Poyer, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson returning, etc.) and wasn't tied-down to any long-term contracts.

Josh Allen's restructure was a glimpse into Beane's thinking.  The fact that he only moved part of the contract tells me that he's got a clear plan, and didn't need it all.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, TPS said:

The $12 million you cite is the estimated cost of signing the picks that Terry Pegula needs, which is only partially related to the expected cap hit, the $3.25 million number. 

Gotta remember those picks displace players on the lower scale of the 51 active man roster.  At least once you get past the 3rd or 4th round.