Justin Simmons released πŸ‘€

28 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It would cost more than that. But he could very well be willing to take a 1-year deal to play for a contender. He'd be worth it.

Yes probably cost more … don’t think the Bills will pay much more however . He has played his entire career with a bad team and never made the playoffs …he has made a lot of money …

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes probably cost more … don’t think the Bills will pay much more however . He has played his entire career with a bad team and never made the playoffs …he has made a lot of money …

Trying to find where I read it this morning from my internet history, but the talk was apparently Green Bay have reached out to him.Β 
Β 

EDIT: Β They haven’t reached out to him yet, it’s reported they are simply keeping an eye on him by Bill Huber, Sports Illustrated’s Packers reporter since 2008

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane is going to wait it out . This years safety market is so saturated i think that we will see a signing like the Floyd signing of last season, Beane will wait until a lot of them have jobs & there will be a good Vet left that wants to work & the Bills will be their destination .

Β 

I think that is why Poyer jumped so quickly to sign with the Fins too because he knew if he waited he might be on the street corner with a sign saying .

Β 

WILL WORK FOR VETERAN MINIMUM !!Β 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/16/2024 at 11:56 AM, njbuff said:

Hamlin didn’t do a great job. Come on.

Β 

He started 13 games on a defensive unit that allowed 17.9 points per game (2nd in the NFL).

Β 

And before anyone claims he was just hidden around the other secondary talent, remember that Jordan Poyer was banged-up that entire year and playing with one-arm, Tre White didn't even get on the field until Thanksgiving and our cornerback spots were handled mostly by Dane Jackson and two rookies (Christian Benford, Kaiir Elam).

Β 

Hamlin wasn't a turnover-machine or an All-Pro.Β  But he was solid at the very least.Β  And considering it was just his second year, I think he still has/had promise to grow into something more.Β  I'm not sure where he's at physically or mentally, and that makes all the difference.Β  But I wouldn't necessarily count him out.

Β 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Β 

He started 13 games on a defensive unit that allowed 17.9 points per game (2nd in the NFL).

Β 

And before anyone claims he was just hidden around the other secondary talent, remember that Jordan Poyer was banged-up that entire year and playing with one-arm, Tre White didn't even get on the field until Thanksgiving and our cornerback spots were handled mostly by Dane Jackson and two rookies (Christian Benford, Kaiir Elam).

Β 

Hamlin wasn't a turnover-machine or an All-Pro.Β  But he was solid at the very least.Β  And considering it was just his second year, I think he still has/had promise to grow into something more.Β  I'm not sure where he's at physically or mentally, and that makes all the difference.Β  But I wouldn't necessarily count him out.

Β 

Β 

I think you have to count him out, and maybe be pleasantly surprised that he becomes anything again. If the brain trust here is betting on him being something again, that would just be terrible planning. In all likelihood, he is cut at the end of camp. Hamlin was okay a couple of years ago before the crazy stuff he endured, but I don't think he will ever even return to that "okay" player much less ever become more than that.Β 

Β 

At this point, futures deal guy like Kendall Williamson is more interesting and more likely to have an impact than Hamlin is. JMO.Β 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

People don't realize Hamlin led the team in tackles over that 13 game stretch too. Β Don't get me wrong, I know Hamlin is not the answer, and I do expect someone else to come in and be the starter via draft or FA, just saying its not like Hamlin was a total scrub either. Β 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Β 

People don't realize Hamlin led the team in tackles over that 13 game stretch too. Β Don't get me wrong, I don't know Hamlin is the answer, and I do expect someone else to come in and be the starter via draft or FA, just saying its not like Hamlin was a total scrub either. Β 

Now THIS is how to get some people all riled up on a Monday afternoon!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Β 

I agree with you both on this, though. I don't think Hamlin will be an All-Pro or anything...but he could have some solid upside to him. Could easily see him in play for a starting spot next year. Could also see him off the team completely depending on how the draft and the rest of FA falls and how he's developed over the last year.

Β 

However, IMO much like the case of the MLB spot last year just because we don't know what the plan is doesn't mean there isn't one that the Bills feel confident in.Β 

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Β 

People don't realize Hamlin led the team in tackles over that 13 game stretch too. Β Don't get me wrong, I don't know Hamlin is the answer, and I do expect someone else to come in and be the starter via draft or FA, just saying its not like Hamlin was a total scrub either. Β 

He was a complete and total scrub. He had a 142.3 passer rating allowed when thrown at.Β 
Β 

He was absolutely brutal in coverage and a huge chunk of big plays against the Bills that season were either whiffed tackles by him or just bad plays.Β 
Β 

We were top 7 in fewest 20+ yard plays allowed with the corpse of Poyer and Headless Hyde in coverage in 2023. Obviously missing a ton of other defensive players. We were 12th in 2022 (with one less game), and pretty much everyone was healthy in the regular season.Β 

Β 

Guy was a disaster. Wish he was a better player because he’s a good kid and has already had such tragedy.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

After letting Po and Hyde walk I would be surprised if they went with another 30 year old vet for good money.Β 

Why? Simmons is arguably the best safety in the league. He's top 3 no question.Β  He's also a few years younger than Poyer and Hyde.

Β 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He was a complete and total scrub. He had a 142.3 passer rating allowed when thrown at.Β 
Β 

He was absolutely brutal in coverage and a huge chunk of big plays against the Bills that season were either whiffed tackles by him or just bad plays.Β 
Β 

We were top 7 in fewest 20+ yard plays allowed with the corpse of Poyer and Headless Hyde in coverage in 2023. Obviously missing a ton of other defensive players. We were 12th in 2022 (with one less game), and pretty much everyone was healthy in the regular season.Β 

Β 

Guy was a disaster. Wish he was a better player because he’s a good kid and has already had such tragedy.

Β 

I was not at all advocating for him to start, it is crystal clear he is not a starter in the NFL, was just stating he led the team in tackles over that 13 games so he at least contributed in some fashion as more of a reason why he could make the team as a backup. Β 

Β 

But admittedly, while I knew he wasn't great in coverage, was not aware it was that bad assuming your stats are correct. Β If that is the case, then not only are we going to sign/draft a starter, but he may not make the final roster. Β 

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

See above.

Β 

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Β 

I was not at all advocating for him to start, it is crystal clear he is not a starter in the NFL, was just stating he led the team in tackles over that 13 games so he at least contributed in some fashion as more of a reason why he could make the team as a backup. Β 

Β 

But admittedly, while I knew he wasn't great in coverage, was not aware it was that bad assuming your stats are correct. Β If that is the case, then not only are we going to sign/draft a starter, but he may not make the final roster. Β 

He was really bad. Coverage stats are obviously tough to track because there's a lot of guesswork involved on who to blame and who was responsible.

Β 

I usually just use them as an eyetest correlation. Hamlin looked like he was horrific in coverage. His numbers said he was horrific in coverage. It tracks.Β 

Β 

Micah and Poyer both had bad coverage grades this year. Micah was usually ~upper 70s/lowers 80s in passer rating since 2018. He was 100.7 this season, with his head falling off. Poyer's numbers are a little all over the map in his Bills career but the last two seasons his numbers 42.2 and 60 (All-Pro and ProBowl over those two seasons), but he posted his worst coverage passer rating last year of 101.5.Β  That tracks as well.

Β 

Both Poyer and Hyde were shells of their former selves last year, and they were still much better than Hamlin.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Here's Damar taking a terrible angle, running into the back of Siran Neal, and letting JuJu twist out for a long touchdown.Β  Taron and Neal also don't make the play, but the difference in catch+conversion vs walking in for a TD is all Damar.

Β 

It's one play but the 2022 Bills defensive tape is littered with plays like this.Β  He was really quite bad.

Β 

Now, maybe Hamlin will improve and get coached up?Β  I trust McD to wring out every bit of talent out of his DB's. But I'm not sure he would've made the team in 2023 if the tragedy didn't happen after what he did on the field in 2022. And for the record, they have hung onto guys that they liked with "potential" at S that never did anything, like Jaquan Johnson, who is now out of the league.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Simmons is a few years younger. They already got younger at one spot.Β 

He’s 30, which seems the danger zone for safeties, but the fact he’s a little older may be the only reason we might be able to afford him.

Β 

I don’t think I’d wrap up too much guaranteed money, though.Β 

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He’s 30, which seems the danger zone for safeties, but the fact he’s a little older may be the only reason we might be able to afford him.

Β 

I don’t think I’d wrap up too much guaranteed money, though.Β 

I do think Simmons is a fit and a good bandaid.Β I believe he has way more picks against Mahomes than any other active player. He plays against him twice a year ofc, but on some sorry Broncos teams.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, T master said:

Beane is going to wait it out . This years safety market is so saturated i think that we will see a signing like the Floyd signing of last season, Beane will wait until a lot of them have jobs & there will be a good Vet left that wants to work & the Bills will be their destination .

Β 

I think that is why Poyer jumped so quickly to sign with the Fins too because he knew if he waited he might be on the street corner with a sign saying .

Β 

WILL WORK FOR VETERAN MINIMUM !!Β 

Pretty much what I think. Someone is going to lose at musical chairs and take a bridge to a year where the market isn't so flooded. Simmons or Adams might be one, but even a budget FA would let us develop a guy.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Simmons just makes so much sense with our glaring hole at FS. Β 

Β 

Lets hope the Taron Johnson extension frees up the money to sign Simmons!!

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Simmons just makes so much sense with our glaring hole at FS. Β 

He makes sense until you realize there’s a salary cap and we still have several other holes

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Poyer and Hyde were a fantastic tandem that worked really well together.Β 

Β 

Simmons is better than either of them and 3 years younger.Β  Would be a massive acquisition for the secondaryΒ Β 

And how much do you pay him?

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why? Simmons is arguably the best safety in the league. He's top 3 no question.Β  He's also a few years younger than Poyer and Hyde.

Β 

Simmons still has 2 very good years left. Sign him (after waiting) to a 2 year deal worth 16M.Β  Then draft a promising FS to work with Simmons.Β 

• Like (+1) 1

I like Simmons a lot. I also like Blackmon who some have mentioned medicals on. But it would not bother me for them to wait until after the draft to make a move at the safety position. If you aren't signing Simmons, it probably makes sense to wait.Β 

Who knows what was being discussed as I was at a restaurant that had ESPN on around 530-600PM yesterday, but there was a graphic at the bottom of the screen saying Simmons signed by the Bills(could not hear the audio). Β 
Β 

Probably one of their outrageous talking head shows spewing BS.Β 

Edited by LabattBlue

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Who knows what was being discussed as I was at a restaurant that had ESPN on around 530-600PM yesterday, but there was a graphic at the bottom of the screen saying Simmons signed by the Bills(could not hear the audio). Β 
Β 

haha well that hasn’t happened or there would be a 50 page thread on here already!Β 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Β 

I saw that too? I was super excited as I was working then couldn't find anything on it afterward. Wtf?Β 

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

weird! Perhaps they meant to put Mike Edwards signed by Bills and accidentally put Justin Simmons

I have no idea, they were showing Simmons highlights too. Just a way for Espn to mess with us I suppose? 🀣