Multiple people shot at KC parade.

fasteddie

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I'll save you the trouble of thinking about the difference between maintaining confidentiality when a fellow student, well known to many of his fellow students teachers and school admins, commits a heinous act vs. two juveniles who were likely anonymous to the people around them (and protected by "snitches get stitches" to those who do know them)

Nice username by the way.

Judging by the content of their posts, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the poster was an alumnus of the esteemed university of the same name 

• Haha (+1) 1

CN someone send me the link to donate to whatever charity will help the families of the injured and the poor guy who died.  I looked through the first two pages, and the 21st.  I’d like to help, and I don’t care about anonymity.  Helping people in need always supersedes any petty fandom thing.  This is about people. That need help.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just to a look at the top donors of the gofundme for the lady that was shot and killed.  Taylor swift donated $100,000 and then after that I don't notice a single name.  None of these multi millionaire football players could muster up a few measley thousand dollars? Mahomes is worth like 100 million.  Him donating $10,000 is the equivalent of an average American who is worth $100,000 donating $10. 

I cant imagine the outreach and support if this happened to fellow bills mafia.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Just admit it's very easy to obtain guns in this country, legally or not.

It's easy in every country. It's a triggering mechanism to a firing pin and a barrel. Very crude design that hasn't changed much in hundreds of years. You can 3D print one, make one yourself, or get one from where they are legal. You will never stop bad guys from having them. They don't follow laws.

• Like (+1) 4

On 2/15/2024 at 8:38 PM, Patrick Fitzryan said:

How do you explain the fact that in countries where redlining and segregation never took place, like Canada and England, they somehow still have the same issue with the same group committing a significantly disproportionate amount of crime?

How do you explain that black children raised in wealthy homes are more likely to go to prison than white children raised in poverty?

Many of the issues you mentioned, particularly food deserts and white flight, are self-imposed. People do not want to be around rampant criminality and will rightfully choose to avoid it.

The gall to claim I've been somehow propagandized by bad messengers while you spout off complete revisionist history about events like the Tulsa Race Riots (which started when black people killed whites) and their supposed "Black Wall Street" (it was a block with four or five small stores) is laughable.

I love your attempt at re-writing history without actually knowing much about it. 

At least you stand on your racism.  I'll give you that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

It's easy in every country. It's a triggering mechanism to a firing pin and a barrel. Very crude design that hasn't changed much in hundreds of years. You can 3D print one, make one yourself, or get one from where they are legal. You will never stop bad guys from having them. They don't follow laws.

so we don't do anything? We have more of these shooting in this country than those others.

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

so we don't do anything? We have more of these shooting in this country than those others.

What would you like to do? If you can solve this I think we would be all ears. This happens every day in every major city in America but it doesn't get reported on the news because it's typically one demographic using illegal weapons and we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Just admit it's very easy to obtain guns in this country, legally or not.

Here’s a thought. Although there’s a prevalence of guns (handguns, rifles etc) we are now put through a background check to purchase ammo. A firearm in the hands of a criminal is worthless without ammo. So at some point, these criminals will no longer be able to purchase ammo (if other states follow suit and restrict ammo purchases without a quick background check). Is there illegal ammo coming over the border? Probably. But steps could be taken to restrict ammo sales to those over 21 and those who pass a quick State Police “phone in” background check. 

I started reloading my own rifle ammo because it’s relaxing and interesting to try different powder charges at different distances. I doubt any criminals will be reloading their own ammo…especially not .22 rimfire rounds. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Just to a look at the top donors of the gofundme for the lady that was shot and killed.  Taylor swift donated $100,000 and then after that I don't notice a single name.  None of these multi millionaire football players could muster up a few measley thousand dollars? Mahomes is worth like 100 million.  Him donating $10,000 is the equivalent of an average American who is worth $100,000 donating $10. 

Not every donation is being harnessed via GoFundMe. 

The Chiefs announced Friday that they, the Hunt Family Foundation and NFL have made a combined $200,000 donation to the #KCStrong Fund, a new endeavor created by the Chiefs and United Way Greater Kansas City.

In addition, the new fund-raising site showed Friday that Patrick and Brittany Mahomes — along with their “15 & the Mahomies Foundation” — also donated $50,000.

First we were assured upthread that this was a product of mental illness run rampant.

Now we’re being told it’s due to the inherent violence of Black men.

One poster is telling everyone that only Jesus can fix this (although, inconsistently, apparently Jesus needs the help of some kind of fascist state committed to fundamentalist Christian values per the same poster).

The cause is always some “other.”

Never about us, our own accountability, our insane gun addiction as a society, among other structural dysfunctions.

Personal accountability is MIA in this country.  So much easier to blame other people for anything and everything.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

What would you like to do? If you can solve this I think we would be all ears. This happens every day in every major city in America but it doesn't get reported on the news because it's typically one demographic using illegal weapons and we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

It’s not about hurting anyone’s feelings. If that demographic took those illegal guns, then infiltrated white communities and started killing those people at a rate they kill their own color, I do think there would be an immediate response.

“Because of the kinds of communities that are primarily impacted, the public and policymakers are less invested in thinking about gun violence prevention interventions in those areas.”

https://time.com/6182856/children-gun-deaths-mass-shootings/

Three inner cities with strict gun laws Chicago, DC, and Baltimore, are bordered by states with lax gun laws - Indiana and Virginia. It’s not tough for these kids to get their hands on a weapon. 

If you say, “the government hasn’t done anything about mass shooters, what makes you believe they’d do something in that situation?” Compare the numbers. As of 2016, roughly 75 people die each year from mass shootings. The government has made it clear through that the 2nd amendment is more important than that amount of lives lost. It’s a cost they’re willing to pay. But if those inner-city kids started shooting up white communities? I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t accept those thousands of lives lost every year. They’d have to do something about firearms, 2nd Amendment be damned.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Patrick Fitzryan said:

LMAO, the same people (you and your ilk) who want more gun control are also the exact same people who think that the group responsible for the overwhelming majority of gun violence in this country should be treated with much more leniency by the justice system. No bail, endless "2nd" chances, lighter sentencing, etc. You don't want accountability for anything.

You don’t know what my ilk are - you don’t know my views on any of this other than that you, Cotton F. (I assume), are a racist.  Which is clear.  You don’t like Black people, just say it, you’ll feel better.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

What racism? It is 100% true that black people are 12X more likely to be murderers than white people. It is 100% true that the Tulsa race riots started after a group of black men killed 10 white men. It's 100% true that their "Black Wall Street" was only four or five small stores. This is all readily available information. You've learned all your "history" from fictional TV and movies.

Where’d you get your information from? After reading your take on the Tulsa race riots you lost all credibility. How did it really begin? Here you go: 

Tulsa police officers arrested Dick Rowland, a Black 19-year-old, May 31, 1921 for allegedly assaulting a white girl, the report said, but there was little evidential proof. The Tulsa newspapers swiftly published incendiary articles about the allegation, prompting a group of mostly white men to descend on the courthouse to lynch Rowland.

When Greenwood residents learned of the impending lynch mob, a group of mostly Black men, which included World War I veterans, armed themselves and went to the courthouse to protect Rowland. This method became custom whenever Black people were on trial as they usually faced lynchings.

But the sheriff told the group to leave and they complied.

The white mob grew to more than 2,000 and Tulsa police did not disperse the crowd. Later that night, the armed Black men returned to protect Rowland and a fight broke out when a white man tried to disarm a Black man, prompting shooting that lasted through the night, the report said.

In the early hours of June 1, 1921, then-Gov. James B. A. Robertson dispatched the National Guard and declared martial law. The National Guard, local law enforcement, and deputized white citizens canvassed Greenwood to disarm, arrest and move Black people to nearby internment camps, dragging some out of their homes. This upheaval resulted in the uncontested mob outnumbering the remaining Black people by 20 to 1, the report said. Old World War I airplanes dropped bombs on Greenwood, with the mob fatally shooting Black people and looting and burning their homes and businesses.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/tulsa-race-massacre-100-years-later-why-it-happened-why-n1268877

Quite a different depiction of how the riots started, no?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I know exactly what your views are. Calling people "racist" for citing factual evidence, complaining about "fascist Christian fundamentalism"...you're on the far left, and the main tenet of your religion is repudiating reality so that you don't have to deal with uncomfortable truths, all while being consistently hypocritical and sanctimonious.

Some people choose to not live their entire life lying to themselves. Deal with it.

I am so far from being on the “far left” Cotton…

16 hours ago, Brand J said:

Firstly, I applaud you for being open and willing to listen. Whenever race is brought up on these boards it’s often met with roll eye emojis from individuals who don’t care or are unwilling to hear the other side. The pervasive attitude is, “slavery was almost 150 years ago, that has nothing to do with the people of today.” Which of course is incredibly short-sighted.
I also sympathize with how you’re viewed by those of another color, when you’ve had absolutely nothing to do with the horrors of the past. After all, your great grandparents may have immigrated much later, or maybe were from the north and had zero connection to it, but alas, skin color is what we first use to judge.

When I read the bolded, I saw a poster who wasn’t too informed with the efforts these communities put forth to curb the violence. Chicago for example, arguably the worst of the offending cities, has a number of outreach programs in place to educate youths and lessen gun violence - you can google for proof - but how well are those initiatives working? The complaints I see from program organizers is that other skin colors don’t concern themselves with what’s happening in the hood, which makes their job more difficult. A ridiculous amount of youths are killed every year, but that doesn’t make national news. Mass shooters on the other hand…

I told a story about my experience as a black man - getting racially profiled in Staten Island many times - and got a bunch of roll eyes on my post. As if I was embellishing my experience or lying about it. I’m not a defender of black criminals in any way, I think they’re idiots who need to be locked up, but I can also recognize they’re a product of their environment. Environments that communities ARE trying to change, but to little or no avail.
I liken these programs to learning Spanish in a classroom setting, but then going home and speaking English, never getting to practice with those around them. That’s probably a crude way to describe the efforts, but I think it has some merit. Everyone needs to be all in to make real change happen, total immersion, but I feel like that’s an unrealistic ask so the cycle continues.

it’s often easy to say it’s “their problem to fix” and “they aren’t doing enough” but in the same breathe those people insult the various programs, etc… that do try to help  (and this isn’t singling out shredder, I don’t know him at all, just happens to be the poster you quoted)

And both sides have great people that are dealing with “but I didn’t do anything wrong and I’m trying to do right why are you pointing a finger at me”

it’s a big messy situation where there is no instant fix to inner city violence just like we aren’t fixing rural opioid addiction and it’s effects over night. And surely we don’t expect everyone “on the other side” to be able or willing to work with us but we also seem to single out the people who don’t want to work with us as representing the entire other side. 

there are interesting studies on politics where we think the worst 1% on our team are crazy outliers that should be ignored but the worst 1% on the other side are average representatives the whole group. Likewise our best 1% are our average representative while the opposing best 1% are the crazy outlier. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Of course, that article conveniently left out this fact, which is even cited on left-leaning Wikipedia:

"At the end of the exchange of gunfire, 12 people were dead, 10 white and 2 black.[12]"

So your take on why the riots started is simply because “black men shot and killed 10 white men.” That’s laughable. I don’t know you personally, but your bias is obviously skewed. Let’s forget that those white men (as usual during those times) were the aggressors towards the blacks. The crux of the matter is that whites weren’t happy with black prosperity during that time and were looking for a reason to take down that little section of Tulsa. When the Black boy was accused - with little to no evidence - of raping a white girl in an elevator I believe it was, the white mob got what they were looking for - a reason to annihilate that town. That’s why some here are calling you racist because you’re spewing bias as facts.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

According to @Bob Jones, she sucks and shouldn’t have wasted her time. She should’ve just complained on a message board.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Yeah, I think they were more concerned about another black-on-white violent crime -- something that happens way more often than the opposite despite there being 5X as many whites -- than trying to annihilate one tiny block that had a confectionery, donut shop, beauty salon, and cigar store.

As for your "little to no evidence" claim, that is complete conjecture based in bias. The facts on these stories always get twisted to fit agendas.

JUST SAY IT, DUDE

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Does anyone else think that this thread has gone far enough?

I do.  It should’ve been shut down when Cotton showed up and started telling us that Black people are just inherently violent, hey, he’s just quoting facts here that the leftist media doesn’t want to admit.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Say what? That in a world where white men are blamed for everything under the sun, it's ridiculous that certain groups are completely immune to any criticism?

Getting closer… at least we’ve surfaced the “persecuted white man”…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

JUST SAY IT, DUDE

Yeah he’s racist. I didn’t want to believe it before, just thought he was ignorant, but the way he’s twisting everything to paint Black folks as the villains, it’s undeniable. I mean, we’re talking about Tulsa in the 1920s and he’s claiming how Whites were afraid of their lives because of violent Blacks 😂 He also continues to claim “only 5 stores were destroyed,” omitting the fact that Black folks were dragged out of their homes and their houses set on fire. Their ENTIRE section of that city was destroyed! Airplanes dropped bombs on Greenwood for crying out loud. I’m sure he believes Emmitt Till deserved what he got for whistling at a white woman. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

Yeah he’s racist. I didn’t want to believe it before, just thought he was ignorant, but the way he’s twisting everything to paint Black folks as the villains, it’s undeniable. I mean, we’re talking about Tulsa in the 1920s and he’s claiming how Whites were afraid of their lives because of violent Blacks 😂 He also continues to claim “only 5 stores were destroyed,” omitting the fact that Black folks were dragged out of their homes and their houses set on fire. Their ENTIRE section of that city was destroyed! Airplanes dropped bombs on Greenwood for crying out loud. I’m sure he believes Emmitt Till deserved what he got for whistling at a white woman. 

He’s “just quoting facts and statistics.”  

15 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Yeah, I think they were more concerned about another black-on-white violent crime -- something that happens way more often than the opposite despite there being 5X as many whites -- than trying to annihilate one tiny block that had a confectionery, donut shop, beauty salon, and cigar store.

So you have completely misinterpreted what happened. I'm going to assume you're making a good-faith effort to do so and respond accordingly. It doesn't matter that 10 white people were killed at the offset. Some white men of the city were attempting to hunt down and lynch a black man off of nothing more than an accusation. Some black men armed themselves and defended the man that was accused, and yes they used guns to do so. That's the point of the 2nd amendment. They used their rights to protect themselves from unjust violence.

If you remove race from the scenario you'd probably wholeheartedly agree with their actions, yes? A man is accused of a crime but not put on trial or any investigation whatsoever. An angry mob gathers together to kill that man. Another group gathers together and uses their 2nd amendment rights to defend that man from the angry mob. At what point in this scenario are you finding fault with the actions of the defenders? Because I suspect you will have to abandon some other aspect of your political leanings to find any fault there.

Anyways it doesn't matter how it started. What matters is that a violent rampage ensued which led to the death of many innocent people, mostly black residents, and the destruction of many homes and businesses. Your statement is akin to saying "9/11 happened because of American military actions in the Middle East" which may be true but also removes exactly zero fault from the perpetrators.

You should also know that your comments about the Tulsa massacre are throwing into question everything you're saying about modern problems and solutions. But like I said I am going to assume you're making a good-faith effort to understand these issues so I wanted to start by addressing misconceptions you have about century-old history first.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

It's pretty important to mention that for all the talk of me being a racist, no one has actually called me wrong or disputed any of those statisitcs.

I’ve called you wrong multiple times. I realize you’re a waste of time though and won’t try to educate you any further.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

It's pretty important to mention that for all the talk of me being a racist, no one has actually called me wrong or disputed any of those statisitcs.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So you have completely misinterpreted what happened. I'm going to assume you're making a good-faith effort to do so and respond accordingly. It doesn't matter that 10 white people were killed at the offset. Some white men of the city were attempting to hunt down and lynch a black man off of nothing more than an accusation. Some black men armed themselves and defended the man that was accused, and yes they used guns to do so. That's the point of the 2nd amendment. They used their rights to protect themselves from unjust violence.

If you remove race from the scenario you'd probably wholeheartedly agree with their actions, yes? A man is accused of a crime but not put on trial or any investigation whatsoever. An angry mob gathers together to kill that man. Another group gathers together and uses their 2nd amendment rights to defend that man from the angry mob. At what point in this scenario are you finding fault with the actions of the defenders? Because I suspect you will have to abandon some other aspect of your political leanings to find any fault there.

Anyways it doesn't matter how it started. What matters is that a violent rampage ensued which led to the death of many innocent people, mostly black residents, and the destruction of many homes and businesses. Your statement is akin to saying "9/11 happened because of American military actions in the Middle East" which may be true but also removes exactly zero fault from the perpetrators.

You should also know that your comments about the Tulsa massacre are throwing into question everything you're saying about modern problems and solutions. But like I said I am going to assume you're making a good-faith effort to understand these issues so I wanted to start by addressing misconceptions you have about century-old history first.

Just now, Brand J said:

I’ve called you wrong multiple times. I realize you’re a waste of time though and won’t try to educate you any further.

43 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I know exactly what your views are. Calling people "racist" for citing factual evidence, complaining about "fascist Christian fundamentalism"...you're on the far left, and the main tenet of your religion is repudiating reality so that you don't have to deal with uncomfortable truths, all while being consistently hypocritical and sanctimonious.

Some people choose to not live their entire life lying to themselves. Deal with it.

You sound quite sanctimonious. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

What statistics were wrong? Amazing how the "true" story of Tulsa didn't come out until two years ago, but we're supposed to believe the new version without questioning why we never heard it.

Lies are being told about cases that happened in modern day ("Breonna Taylor was shot in bed!"), but somehow revisionist history from an event 100 years ago is gospel? Okay.

I guess in addition to being inherently more violent, Black people are also inherently better at P.R.?  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Who said anything about them being inherently violent? There is clearly a cultural problem, though, and it's obvious to anyone who doesn't have their head buried deep in the sand.

When you brought in wealth and argued the same trends are visible in the UK and Canada it ceased to be a "cultural" argument limited to American inner cities.  Unless of course, you don't know what culture is, which is highly possible.  

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Terry Tate said:

This thread has actually been very informative. Perhaps not the way intended.

Sometimes allowing people the opportunity to show us who they really are is worth some temporary aggravation.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3