Per NFL Rumors, Wilks fired

BillsWest

6 hours ago, BillsWest said:

Per ProFootball Rumors, the 49ers have fired Steve Wilks DC.   I guess KC will do that to you!  I think the final outcome would have been different if Dre Greenlaw doesn't tear his achilles.

they could have had Vince lombardi

Coaching and Lawrence Taylor on the edge, and Mahomes would have still shredded them in the clutch! 

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Another example that the Mcd philosophy schemes doesn't work ! 

According to Shanahan's presser, the problem was Wilks was working with the SF defensive scheme previously run by Salah and DeMeco Ryans.  Wilks...not coming from that system...was not as successful.  There was a disconnect. 

Wait, the game that they lost was the Super Bowl, correct? Meaning they made it to the Super Bowl. 

There has to be something other than his job performance that led to this, no? Or am I just so used to simply accepting performance that is mildly above mediocre? 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsWest said:

Per ProFootball Rumors, the 49ers have fired Steve Wilks DC.   I guess KC will do that to you!  I think the final outcome would have been different if Dre Greenlaw doesn't tear his achilles.

That and the punt hitting that dude in the foot.  Crazy bad luck honestly. 

• Like (+1) 1

SF's D was ranked 8th in the league (in yards allowed) and played well enough to win the SB. Folded late.  Wilks gets the axe.

Buffalo's D was ranked 9th . . .  and also folded late. More of the same on the horizon . . .  It's up to the D to figure out a way to stop Andy Reid. What's going to change?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Imagine getting fired after holding KC to 19 points in regulation (7 off a special teams turnover) while forcing 5 punts and 2 turnovers. 

That's light years better than any Bills DEF performance against the Chiefs in the playoffs. 

I guess Shanahan wants to be seen as going balls to the wall to improve . . .

When it matters most . . . that's when the D needs to shine the most.  I guess that's what KS is thinking . . .  Maybe he is looking at the total body of work. He wants to be top 3, not top 10. 

Can't say I disagree, but it still seems like a tough deal for the D coordinator since there were mistakes all around in the game. The overall game plan worked well. It took time for Reid to adjust . . . but when they adjusted, everything was clicking . . .

Is there a D in the league who can shut Andy Reid down for five straight quarters???

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Too bad we can't fire our DC again this year.  

Why not?

37 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

SF's D was ranked 8th in the league (in yards allowed) and played well enough to win the SB. Folded late.  Wilks gets the axe.

Buffalo's D was ranked 9th . . .  and also folded late. More of the same on the horizon . . .  It's up to the D to figure out a way to stop Andy Reid. What's going to change?

We literally hired a defensive coordinator

Babich has been good

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Why not?

We literally hired a defensive coordinator

Babich has been good

He's been a good LB coach. We don't know how he will do in his new role. 

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I didn't think that was a bad call.  The DBs were poised to jump wherever Mahomes decided to go with the ball and the ball would have had to come out quick.  

I don't know enough about X and O to decide if it was a good call or not. Romo didn't say whether he agreed with KS or not. He simply said that this was what KS was probably thinking.

Always thought it was a strange hire as Wilks didn't have experience with the Seattle cover 3 system that Saleh and Ryans ran that matched their personnel well.  Thought he would promote from within like he did Ryans. I thought there might be trouble when Shanahan forced Wilks to move from the booth to the field.  Usually a coordinator makes that decision on his own.  The optics for Shanahan look bad immediately following a Super Bowl loss but you could say the same about McDermott firing Dorsey (or Frazier).  Doesn't mean it was the wrong decision and there's never really never a good time to do it.

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Always thought it was a strange hire as Wilks didn't have experience with the Seattle cover 3 system that Saleh and Ryans ran that matched their personnel well.  Thought he would promote from within like he did Ryans. I thought there might be trouble when Shanahan forced Wilks to move from the booth to the field.  Usually a coordinator makes that decision on his own.  The optics for Shanahan look bad immediately following a Super Bowl loss but you could say the same about McDermott firing Dorsey (or Frazier).  Doesn't mean it was the wrong decision and there's never really never a good time to do it.

He worked under McDermott who ran the cover 3 (although slightly different variant of it) in Carolina. But agree when he has run defenses as a coordinator he has been a nickel base, blitz heavy guy. Which isn't really what the 49ers have run previously. 

12 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Whatever he had Bosa doing a majority of the game just chasing Pacheco across the field and giving Mahomes huge running lanes was idiotic.  Might’ve worked in 1st half but backfired in the 2nd half effectively  taking away bosa’s pass rush ability.  

Watch that final drive in OT… Focus solely on Bosa, now while that may have been Wilks’ scheme, it changed from how he was attacking and playing the edge from the rest of the game. 

How the highest paid defender in history is not having questions asked about the play there is peculiar… Nick did all the wrong things and played like a journeyman in the league. 

3 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

He's been a good LB coach. We don't know how he will do in his new role. 

I don't know enough about X and O to decide if it was a good call or not. Romo didn't say whether he agreed with KS or not. He simply said that this was what KS was probably thinking.

You’re right we have no way of knowing whether Babich is going to be a good defensive coordinator. We only know that he’s been good at every position defensive coaching position he has ever had.

It’s a gamble

15 hours ago, Logic said:

Given his connections to Sean McDermott and the fact that he was unable to stop the Kansas City Chiefs in the biggest game of the year, he feels like a perfect fit for the Bills.

My first thought was well.  That "talent" pool has dried up tho.  Wilks would have to turn the lights out on the way out.  

Never heard of him,

17 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I never would have realized that unless Romo mentioned it.

Very good observation by romo

The best there is!

The uneducated hoi polloi rubes growled to CBS to attempt to shut Romo up, from making observations just like that! 

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

they could have had Vince lombardi

Coaching and Lawrence Taylor on the edge, and Mahomes would have still shredded them in the clutch! 

There is something to this.

• Like (+1) 2

The Chief’s only regulation TD was less than 20 yards off a turnover. The 49ers defense had 2 turnovers, 3 sacks, forced 5 punts and allowed 19 regulation points. This is a defense that was key to bringing the 49ers to the superbowl. Meanwhile, the Bills had 1 turnover, 0 sacks, and forced 1 punt while allowing 27 points. The 49ers allowed an average of 5.8 yards per play, meanwhile the Bills allowed 7.7. How does Sean McDermott still have a job when he was leading the Bills defense?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No he didn't. His defense stopped Mahomes multiple times while Kyle's offense was stuck in neutral failing to remember they had Christian effing McCaffrey to hand it to. Then the special teams screwed up and handed the Chiefs a score. 

I am not a huge Steve Wilkes fan. I didn't like that hire to start with. But his defense was not the problem on Sunday.

But he made the kicker miss the PAT.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

The Chief’s only regulation TD was less than 20 yards off a turnover. The 49ers defense had 2 turnovers, 3 sacks, forced 5 punts and allowed 19 regulation points. This is a defense that was key to bringing the 49ers to the superbowl. Meanwhile, the Bills had 1 turnover, 0 sacks, and forced 1 punt while allowing 27 points. The 49ers allowed an average of 5.8 yards per play, meanwhile the Bills allowed 7.7. How does Sean McDermott still have a job when he was leading the Bills defense?

Hmmm. Maybe the fact that the Bills' defense was depleted at virtually every level -- most particularly at LB where they had trouble hanging with Kelce and Pacheco -- had something to do with it. That is not an excuse, it is a reality. And, yet, when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter the defense did come up with a critical stop to force a punt and get the ball back in the offense's hands.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This sounds like something the Bills Mafia would have had done . But let's all watch and see how this plays out next season if they get better on their D then MAYBE Bills fans would have a leg to stand on but if not well the proof will be in the pudding so to say .

The 49ers D was ranked number 3 in the league this year and helped them get to the Super Bowl not sure who other than Spags that they could get to be any better other than maybe the D coordinator for the Ravens they were number 1 & didn't make it past the Chiefs .

There has to be more to this story .

11 hours ago, jkeerie said:

According to Shanahan's presser, the problem was Wilks was working with the SF defensive scheme previously run by Salah and DeMeco Ryans.  Wilks...not coming from that system...was not as successful.  There was a disconnect. 

McD and Wilks don't necessarily have the same defensive background.

SF was banking on marrying Wilks coverage with the front that their DL coach Kris Kocurek employs.  There were reports of issues and miscommunication throughout the year and not just in the SB.

SF notably loves Kocurek and basically chose him over Wilks in this case.  I feel like alot of teams are somewhat employing some version of trying to marry fronts and coverage from different minds especially if you don't have an experienced defensive mind in the DC or HC spot.  I would guess that SF will now either hire Kocurek to the DC spot and bring a passing game coordinator type on defense to oversee the coverage OR hire an experienced secondary coach that has ties to Seattle scheme or to the Schwartz scheme, both which are a part of SF has been doing defensively for a few seasons now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/15/2024 at 6:27 AM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

That 2nd 14 in overtime when he had all his Defensive backs standing 10yds off the Wrs that was classic Mcd defense in critical situations. 

That wasn’t McDermott this year. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Hmmm. Maybe the fact that the Bills' defense was depleted at virtually every level -- most particularly at LB where they had trouble hanging with Kelce and Pacheco -- had something to do with it. That is not an excuse, it is a reality. And, yet, when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter the defense did come up with a critical stop to force a punt and get the ball back in the offense's hands.

Siran Neal was able to stop Kelce when we finally put him on the field in the 4th quarter. Dorian Williams made a couple of great plays that directly led to the Chiefs punting for the first time when he was on the field. McDermott owns the early game decisions to leave them on the bench. 8.5 yards per play to an offense with below average WRs and mediocre tackles. Zero excuses for that performance from the DC.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.