Trade Elam for Treylon Burks

I was looking around at depth charts of different teams for possible Beane type deal and came across Treylon Burks Wr from the Tennessee he's been underwhelming since being drafted by the Titans and now they have a new regime in place . The Titans have a desperate need for corner help and we have a big need for Wrs . The Bills should make an offer there bust for ours 😂 maybe Elam will be a better fit in the Titans new Defense and Burks can finally play with a real QB in Buffalo. Win win everyone. 😂

What u think fellas would u like a deal like this?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 3

As hypotheticak trade ideas go it isn't the worst one. Dennard Wilson has just been hired as their DC. I don't know much about him but on the face of where he has been I imagine he will want to run some more man principles so Elam might be an interesting buy low option. Burks has been hurt a ton, I'd be interested to know where there patience with him is at. Don't think the current GM picked him either which always makes it easier to get a guy out of somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

No way man. Burks isn’t it. They willingly traded AJ Brown believing this guy would replace him. He hasn’t. He hasn’t even performed as a #2 on that team…

Theres better options you can pick up on the FA market this year whilst keeping a CB IMO. With Taron picking up nicks along the year, Benford being injured and Douglas having some scares why not hang on to a guy who’s shown you flashes of promise when he’s played in that secondary? 

Plus, what if they have the guts to trade Tre? 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As hypotheticak trade ideas go it isn't the worst one. Dennard Wilson has just been hired as their DC. I don't know much about him but on the face of where he has been I imagine he will want to run some more man principles so Elam might be an interesting buy low option. Burks has been hurt a ton, I'd be interested to know where there patience with him is at. Don't think the current GM picked him either which always makes it easier to get a guy out of somewhere.

If it ain't this deal we need to find a deal for him somewhere especially if we're running the same defense. He's just not a zone corner

13 minutes ago, BBFL said:

No way man. Burks isn’t it. They willingly traded AJ Brown believing this guy would replace him. He hasn’t. He hasn’t even performed as a #2 on that team…

Theres better options you can pick up on the FA market this year whilst keeping a CB IMO. With Taron picking up nicks along the year, Benford being injured and Douglas having some scares why not hang on to a guy who’s shown you flashes of promise when he’s played in that secondary? 

Plus, what if they have the guts to trade Tre? 

Tre doesn't have any trade value coming off an Achilles injury. He should be released were probably going to have another Von situation where Tre just doesn't have it anymore. 

When it comes to a Burks for Elam deal.  It's about finding a way out and fresh start for both these young players . Burks has shown some potential at times but has had some bad luck with injuries and horrible QB play he also played in a heavy running offense. I'm not saying if we trade for Burks we're done at Wr I still think we should draft one high . 

Elam has not cought on with this defense in 2yrs what makes u think he will in his 3rd? He's just not a fit for Mcd defense he never was really. It's time to find a team for him that plays the type of defense that his talents can be showcased. 

6 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Tre doesn't have any trade value coming off an Achilles injury. He should be released were probably going to have another Von situation where Tre just doesn't have it anymore. 

When it comes to a Burks for Elam deal.  It's about finding a way out and fresh start for both these young players . Burks has shown some potential at times but has had some bad luck with injuries and horrible QB play he also played in a heavy running offense. I'm not saying if we trade for Burks we're done at Wr I still think we should draft one high . 

Elam has not cought on with this defense in 2yrs what makes u think he will in his 3rd? He's just not a fit for Mcd defense he never was really. It's time to find a team for him that plays the type of defense that his talents can be showcased. 

We reportedly didn't get much in terms of offers for Elam at the deadline. If the offers continue to be a bag of balls like trade, I'd rather just hold on to him. 

Entering Year 3 of AJ Epenesa, he was written off just as much as Elam. And then he developed into a solid player. Some guys catch on immediately. Some guys are late bloomers and develop later.

Elam was on IR for a good portion of last year. When he came on in relief in the Pittsburgh playoff game, he got an important INT. I'm not ready to just send him packing for nothing.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Burks has shown some potential at times but has had some bad luck with injuries and horrible QB play he also played in a heavy running offense

Easy pass for me.  Burks has a 7 percent drop rate and 53% catch rate when targeted - no bueno!   Btw both Titans and Bills ran ball on 47% of plays in 2023.  Shakir - same draft - has same number of catches (49) and 3 TDs vs Burks' 1 TD.  

Plus there is this.  https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/03/07/ny-jets-draft-treylon-burks-combine-results/

His brutal 3 cone drill performance pointed to an inability to separate and is a huge predictor of failure in NFL.  Coupled with a poor vertical it emphasizes his lack of explosiveness. 

Edited by freddyjj
  • Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Easy pass for me.  Burks has a 7 percent drop rate and 53% catch rate when targeted - no bueno!   Btw both Titans and Bills ran ball on 47% of plays in 2023.  Shakir - same draft - has same number of catches (49) and 3 TDs vs Burks' 1 TD.  

Plus there is this.  https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/03/07/ny-jets-draft-treylon-burks-combine-results/

His brutal 3 cone drill performance pointed to an inability to separate and is a huge predictor of failure in NFL.  Coupled with a poor vertical it emphasizes his lack of explosiveness. 

I still think Burks has some talent. I wouldn't give up anything major for him, but this is swapping under performing bad fit first rounders. I'm not sure they are losing anything in it either. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I didn't know Burks played with Josh Allen. Btw not everything is about the underwear Olympics. Burks had a 70yd play this yr and in his rookie season I see a few big plays from him as well in 22 one game in particular was against the Packers where he had 111yds on 7 catches before getting injured on huge play in 3rd quarter he was also facing Jaire Alexander and Douglas at the corner spot that day. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I was looking around at depth charts of different teams for possible Beane type deal and came across Treylon Burks Wr from the Tennessee he's been underwhelming since being drafted by the Titans and now they have a new regime in place . The Titans have a desperate need for corner help and we have a big need for Wrs . The Bills should make an offer there bust for ours 😂 maybe Elam will be a better fit in the Titans new Defense and Burks can finally play with a real QB in Buffalo. Win win everyone. 😂

I don’t absolutely hate it

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I know he doesn’t. That was the joking jest regarding someone’s other topic about cutting ties with Tre.

Burks is going into year three and is as pedestrian as they come in the NFL. He even got demoted from a starting role. Injuries may have played a part but They tried feeding him the ball and it didn’t work in year 1. The QB situation isn’t ideal there but there’s been plenty of mediocre talent who’s succeeded with just as bad or worse under center throwing them the ball over the course of the years in this league.  Elam has had some value to this team in the limited times he’s seen the field if you don’t see that then that’s ok. However little it may be, it’s there. But if you’re point is he’s this trash player here why would another team trade a player you believe has all this potential in Burks, for a chance to “showcase” a CB???

Why not just get your own receiver, be it a day one or two guy in the draft if you aren’t able to pick someone who’s been more productive in the league for several years via FA to fill the role you’re expecting Burks to be put into…?

If you’re trading Elam for anything, go do it for a defensive lineman or a DB that fits into the system you’re saying he doesn’t…

• Like (+1) 1

im of the radical opinion that we should just give much more playing time to our young guys like elam and williams who actually make plays (along with mistakes) instead of old and injured guys who allow 7.7 yards per play type numbers in our annual defensive playoff collapse exits, but i'm a silly extremist fan who wants to win and stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BBFL said:

I know he doesn’t. That was the joking jest regarding someone’s other topic about cutting ties with Tre.

Burks is going into year three and is as pedestrian as they come in the NFL. He even got demoted from a starting role. Injuries may have played a part but They tried feeding him the ball and it didn’t work in year 1. The QB situation isn’t ideal there but there’s been plenty of mediocre talent who’s succeeded with just as bad or worse under center throwing them the ball over the course of the years in this league.  Elam has had some value to this team in the limited times he’s seen the field if you don’t see that then that’s ok. However little it may be, it’s there. But if you’re point is he’s this trash player here why would another team trade a player you believe has all this potential in Burks, for a chance to “showcase” a CB???

Why not just get your own receiver, be it a day one or two guy in the draft if you aren’t able to pick someone who’s been more productive in the league for several years via FA to fill the role you’re expecting Burks to be put into…?

If you’re trading Elam for anything, go do it for a defensive lineman or a DB that fits into the system you’re saying he doesn’t…

It's not bad idea to see what other players are available for trade for other positions the Bills need. As far as Burks is concerned trading for him won't be the last move they make at Wr. I still would draft one high. How were gonna to use him really depends on him and how he fits in the offense. What we do know is he's made some big plays on the NFL level and whatever glimpses Elam has shown Burks has as well. Burks was heading in the right direction when Tennessee started opening up the offense but he was derailed in his best game of his young career via injury. That game vs the Packers he already had over 100yds in the 3rd quarter. Maybe a change of scenery or schemes will help both Elam and Burks because obviously it's not working were there at. 

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

It's not bad idea to see what other players are available for trade for other positions the Bills need. As far as Burks is concerned trading for him won't be the last move they make at Wr. I still would draft one high. How were gonna to use him really depends on him and how he fits in the offense. What we do know is he's made some big plays on the NFL level and whatever glimpses Elam has shown Burks has as well. Burks was heading in the right direction when Tennessee started opening up the offense but he was derailed in his best game of his young career via injury. That game vs the Packers he already had over 100yds in the 3rd quarter. Maybe a change of scenery or schemes will help both Elam and Burks because obviously it's not working were there at. 

Im not saying it isn’t. Just that trading for a guy who hasn’t produced as a WR is. Again, trade Elam for someone on the defensive side who isn’t a system/scheme problem. 

WRs run routes and catch a ball. There isn’t a complexity to it. Draft a guy you can have the same cost control as Burks but for longer. He’ll produce somewhat here, I don’t deny that but that is solely because of Josh and Josh alone. 

There’s far more holes on the defensive side of things as half of that unit may not be here. CB for a DB or Dlineman is the better option. 

• Agree 1

It’s not bad both would be kinda reclamation projects for their respective rosters. Titans really need secondary help and we have a code red level need to upgrade WR.
So this would be an even swap although one thing about Elam if he truly was hurt most of the year he showed enough in the playoffs where he might be worth hanging onto 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

The underperforming WR that I am looking at adding is Laviska Shenault.  He's a FA and will cost next to nothing.

It's worth a try, but I do think that fans can get too focused on what we thought of players as prospects. Both Shenault and Burks now have NFL game film that demonstrates that their draft evaluations were incorrect. I get that Shenault has been in some of the worst situations, but that type of thinking is what led fans, including me, to think that Andy Isabella just needed a better QB  to live up to his draft profile. That was clearly not the case.

With a new DB’s coach I see it as very likely Elam stays here….but for the sake of the thread

Elam for Cortland Sutton. Who could supposedly be moved for a mid round pick

that would be a trade I’d be very interested in

Sutton has the ability to be a dominant player with an elite QB IMO

he had 10 TDs on 90 targets playing with Russ.  Imagine him with Josh

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I didn't know Burks played with Josh Allen. Btw not everything is about the underwear Olympics. Burks had a 70yd play this yr and in his rookie season I see a few big plays from him as well in 22 one game in particular was against the Packers where he had 111yds on 7 catches before getting injured on huge play in 3rd quarter he was also facing Jaire Alexander and Douglas at the corner spot that day. 

Titans drank the Koolaid on Burks and are regretting it now.  Elam has similar bust potential but Bills have depth at CB and can wait on him.

Not sure Burks can take over Gabe’s role which is what OBD is likely looking for if they bring a veteran in. 

10 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Elam has more upside than Burks.  Rarely ever do these retread WR's projects turn out to be good.  Burks has been unimpressive on a team that was desperate for WR help, and even with Hopkins out there this year he still was underwhelming.  

Elam has 2 INT's in 3 playoff games.  He was hurt this year and hard to get a real read on him.  And I trust McD and this staff to develop our CB more than a WR who has been a disappointment.  

Plus, both of our starting CB's are coming off major injury and one of them (Tre) has question marks if he will be a cap casualty and may not even be on the roster.  

What people don't seem to realize, we are more desperate at CB than we are at WR right now where we still have Diggs and Shakir to build off of as we head into a WR rich draft.  

Much rather have McD coaching up a CB than a bust WR.

Much rather draft WR's in a WR rich draft than have to find more CB's who may have to start as rookies.  

So hard pass for me.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I still think Burks has some talent. I wouldn't give up anything major for him, but this is swapping under performing bad fit first rounders. I'm not sure they are losing anything in it either. 

Ok...but consider these factors:

1. Who do you want McD coaching up, as in what are his strenghts?  A CB or a bust WR?  Obviously a CB.
  2. What position is in worse shape:  CB or WR?  I would easily argue CB is in worse shape heading into the offseason, really the whole secondary.
    1. Both starting corners coming off major injuries, and one of them (Tre) is a potential cap casualty and now has 2 major injuries in 3 years if he does stay.  And one safety is gone and the other is not a lock to be back either. 
    2. WR room still has Diggs and Shakir to build off of heading into a WR rich draft.
  3. What position is richer and deeper in this draft WR or CB?  I think the consensus is WR.  

If we trade Elam in a season where we may start the year off without both starting corners from last year, not to mention missing at least one starting safety in our secondary, possibly two, then we will be looking at holes in at least 3 of our starting secondary positions as it is.

Our secondary is in worse shape than our WR room today which makes Elam have more potential value for this team than Burks does right now.  If we trade Elam, it needs to be for a draft pick we can use so we have more assets in the draft find another corner, not for a retreat WR when they have a better chance finding a better WR in the draft than they do in trading for Burks.  

Keep Elam, draft a WR early, take a 2nd WR sometime during the draft, and honestly you still need to address corner even with Elam in either FA/Draft along with probably 2 safeties.  Or move Elam for a decent draft pick for more ammo to find DB in the draft...but Elam for Burks for me just doesn't make a lot of sense given the WR class we have this year.  If it was a bad WR class, then I would be a little more for it.

Edited by Alphadawg7

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ok...but consider these factors:

1. Who do you want McD coaching up, as in what are his strenghts?  A CB or a bust WR?  Obviously a CB.
  2. What position is in worse shape:  CB or WR?  I would easily argue CB is in worse shape heading into the offseason, really the whole secondary.
    1. Both starting corners coming off major injuries, and one of them (Tre) is a potential cap casualty and now has 2 major injuries in 3 years if he does stay.  And one safety is gone and the other is not a lock to be back either. 
    2. WR room still has Diggs and Shakir to build off of heading into a WR rich draft.
  3. What position is richer and deeper in this draft WR or CB?  I think the consensus is WR.  

If we trade Elam in a season where we may start the year off without both starting corners from last year, not to mention missing at least one starting safety in our secondary, possibly two, then we will be looking at holes in at least 3 of our starting secondary positions as it is.

Our secondary is in worse shape than our WR room today which makes Elam have more potential value for this team than Burks does right now.  If we trade Elam, it needs to be for a draft pick we can use so we have more assets in the draft find another corner, not for a retreat WR when they have a better chance finding a better WR in the draft than they do in trading for Burks.  

Keep Elam, draft a WR early, take a 2nd WR sometime during the draft, and honestly you still need to address corner even with Elam in either FA/Draft along with probably 2 safeties.  Or move Elam for a decent draft pick for more ammo to find DB in the draft...but Elam for Burks for me just doesn't make a lot of sense given the WR class we have this year.  If it was a bad WR class, then I would be a little more for it.

I wasn't saying do it. But most hypotehtical trades on this board make zero sense. This one does. Two first rounders who after two years are stuck in the bench and bad scheme fits. That is the kind of swap you could see happening. Not the usual omes floated.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

With a new DB’s coach I see it as very likely Elam stays here….but for the sake of the thread

Elam for Cortland Sutton. Who could supposedly be moved for a mid round pick

that would be a trade I’d be very interested in

Sutton has the ability to be a dominant player with an elite QB IMO

he had 10 TDs on 90 targets playing with Russ.  Imagine him with Josh

This is what I mean @Alphadawg7 when I say it is at least a good hypothetical compared to others.... the idea that Elam has equal trade value to Sutton is nonsensical. At least Elam for Burks makes some sense.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I think your jumping the gun Elam was injured for most of last season I would much rather have Beane get another WR in the draft in the long run it will be cheaper . Plus it's not like CB is a strength of the Bills . Plus knowing our luck he would go to the Titans & the switch would come on & he would be a all pro .

Given how the Bills have developed good players like Millano, Benford, and quite a few others i think they should give him a good chance while being healthy then determine how to move forward with him .

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't saying do it. But most hypotehtical trades on this board make zero sense. This one does. Two first rounders who after two years are stuck in the bench and bad scheme fits. That is the kind of swap you could see happening. Not the usual omes floated.

Gotcha.  From that perspective sure I totally agree that it makes sense from a fair compensation stand point.  

Just don’t think it makes sense in the reality of what the Bills situation is.

12 hours ago, T master said:

I think your jumping the gun Elam was injured for most of last season I would much rather have Beane get another WR in the draft in the long run it will be cheaper . Plus it's not like CB is a strength of the Bills . Plus knowing our luck he would go to the Titans & the switch would come on & he would be a all pro .

Given how the Bills have developed good players like Millano, Benford, and quite a few others i think they should give him a good chance while being healthy then determine how to move forward with him .

But he was healthy at the end of the yr and the Bills started a gimpy Douglas over Elam. What does that tell u about Elam?

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

But he was healthy at the end of the yr and the Bills started a gimpy Douglas over Elam. What does that tell u about Elam?

Um let me see . The key phrase in your reply was at the end of the year and he hadn't played AT ALL most of the season .

Could it be that he wasn't in full game shape as of yet due to coming back from hs injury & McD wanted to see how at game speed he would handle it, could he have been on a pitch count as they say, or was he used in certain packages & seeing that Douglas has been playing in the system ever since he got here & has been playing at a high level ?

Your choice . I don't think any coach worth their salt would start a player coming off IR that has been on it for most of the season to replace a player like Douglas but then that might just be me .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.