Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I know you like this sort of thing, but trading Diggs is in no way the best possible outcome for the Bills. Even if he's dropped off, he's still likely at least a very good WR2 in talent. Do you think grabbing another first, somehow, and bringing in two rookie WRs is a good idea? Do you think that is what would happen? Because if McD sees two first round picks, I can almost guarantee you at least one of them is going to play on the D side of the ball.

If you lose Diggs from the WR room, you have created a large hole. The value of adding a WR early is replacing Davis, and at the same time adding a potential WR1 down the line. You don't want to ask the rookie to actually be the WR1, and you definitely don't want to bring in two rookies to replace both Diggs and Davis.

I personally believe he doesn’t want to be here anymore. Otherwise, I would prefer to keep him.  If we do move him, I’d expect Beane to extend Taron and play with a few other contracts to create some space and acquire a veteran via trade in the summer as well as a Round 1 rookie

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Didn’t Dallas and Cleveland do a trade with Cooper that involved a partial dead cap hit transfer or am I recalling that wrong?  

Or maybe a deal could involve a reworked contract to lessen the hits? 

No idea how that works

I don't think so

Details here

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-trade-amari-cooper-cleveland-browns#gid=ci029bfaa32000272a&pid=tank-amari

For the Cowboys, it was a swap: Cooper and a 6th, for a 5th and a 6th back.

Note that essentially, the #10 WR last season in receiving yards, was traded to Cleveland for a 5th round pick.

Cooper was due $20M salary that guaranteed just before the Cowboys traded him, and Cleveland promptly restructured his salary into amortizable bonus, but the money Dallas had sunk into bonuses, stayed with Dallas

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think so

Details here

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-trade-amari-cooper-cleveland-browns#gid=ci029bfaa32000272a&pid=tank-amari

For the Cowboys, it was a swap: Cooper and a 6th, for a 5th and a 6th back.

Note that essentially, the #10 WR last season in receiving yards, was traded to Cleveland for a 5th round pick.

Cooper was due $20M salary that guaranteed just before the Cowboys traded him, and Cleveland promptly restructured his salary into amortizable bonus, but the money Dallas had sunk into bonuses, stayed with Dallas

ahhh okay thanks!

37 minutes ago, H2o said:

The breakdown looks like hits of $8.85M for '24, the same in '25, the same in '26, and $4.54M in '27. It makes the hits much more manageable.

I think that's a little misleading on the part of Overthecap. 

We don't get to amortize his cap hits over 5 years just because we trade him after June 1 this season.

The rest of the cap hits would fall in 2025.  

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

ahhh okay thanks!

Cooper had kind of a weird 5 year, $100M contract - or at least, being used to looking at Beane's contracts, it looked that way to me.

It was like $10k of signing bonus and the rest was all salary.

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I personally believe he doesn’t want to be here anymore. Otherwise, I would prefer to keep him.  If we do move him, I’d expect Beane to extend Taron and play with a few other contracts to create some space and acquire a veteran via trade in the summer as well as a Round 1 rookie

Alright, that is more rational, but I rather doubt you're going to ply away a WR close to Diggs' talent from another team. It would be expensive. 

Diggs may or may not want to be here. I think he likes to win, and he certainly wants to get paid. I still think it's more plausible that he was playing hurt, rather than quiet quitting the second half of the year. And also, he might be physically dropping off, and lashing out because he is unhappy about it. I dunno, but speculating discontent when no one knows the real story is pretty much fan fiction. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Whats Diggs' problem? Did he not get enough hugs as a kid? He plays with one of the best QB's on the planet.  Makes 25 million a year.  Like STFU and play ball.

What I see any time I read "shut up and play!"

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

What I see any time I read "shut up and play!"

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

But at the same time, the schtick gets so old.  He is worse than youtube content creators trying to use titles for click bate.  

So I get why some folks are tired of this old dog and pony show. Basically just stop with the attention seeking *****.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

These guys are little girls.  Writing "cryptic" posts on twitter.  It's so lame.   

It's a different day and age. This is what people born in the mid 90s and 2000's do. It is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

But at the same time, the schtick gets so old.  He is worse than youtube content creators trying to use titles for click bate.  

So I get why some folks are tired of this old dog and pony show. Basically just stop with the attention seeking *****.  

It's not so different than a lot of players. Ever looked at Rasul Douglas' Twitter account?

The difference is Diggs is an NFL Celebrity. Everything he says or does captures the fan and medias attention. Is it his fault that everyone chooses to play the Da Vinci Code with everything he says or does? Should he stop being him just bc people hold him to a different standard?

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs isn't going anywhere, nor do we want him to. When we saw so many other guys running open in the second half of last year, Diggs was getting doubled and watched by the safety. He was creating opportunity for other guys by working hard.

Yep. He had a couple of big drops. I'd bet you, that changes this year.

Look, we all know 14 plays to his own tune in life, and though it may seem awkward to some people, so far all he is proven here is that when he is ready to talk, he does...straight, on point, and ready to go. Diggs is allowed a down year and I think he's got plenty left in the tank. He does need a good threat opposite him who can also stretch the field and get loose.

I think there is good reason to really like Buffalo's pass catchers. With Curtis taking Gabes spot (for now) and Shakir looking to be a hell of a slot, especially at the end of the year and more so as the coaches and Josh trusted him.

Same trust seemed true of Kincaid. Even though he had his time cut into a little in the middle of the season as Knox came back and you could tell he was disappointed, but by the end of the year, there was little doubt who the Bills main TE was in big moments.

Who knows what the draft brings?

Either way, I think the overall receiving corp is already better than it was last year. Also some guys who were in wrong seat on the bus are gone. Coaches and players. Good offseason so far, credit to the FO for making hard decisions decisively. 

usa_today_21741632.0.jpg

Edited by foreboding

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know this is hard for people but he’s going sometime soon. You’re not going to keep paying him $27+ million forever. 

The question is do we get something decent for him?

Of course. He's 30. But next year is the soonest it should be done. Both from a financial standpoint and a roster standpoint.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's a different day and age. This is what people born in the mid 90s and 2000's do. It is what it is. 

It's not so different than a lot of players. Ever looked at Rasul Douglas' Twitter account?

The difference is Diggs is an NFL Celebrity. Everything he says or does captures the fan and medias attention. Is it his fault that everyone chooses to play the Da Vinci Code with everything he says or does? Should he stop being him just bc people hold him to a different standard?

Like I said yesterday … when Diggs does it the media uses it to support their Josh Allen hate … they don’t care about what Douglas muses ,,,

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Of course. He's 30. But next year is the soonest it should be done. Both from a financial standpoint and a roster standpoint.

Next year it’s release or a 4th or lower depending on his season.

I wouldn’t trade him now for a mid round pick, I’ll make that clear. But if we get offered a 2nd or better we should move on. He can still play, no doubt, this would be a business decision. Get younger at the position and maybe still find a WR1 now with a trade up in the draft.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Can you think of another difference between Rasul Douglas and Stef Diggs?

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know this is hard for people but he’s going sometime soon. You’re not going to keep paying him $27+ million forever. 

That ship has sailed.  With his salary probably a mid round pick 

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

That ship has sailed.  With his salary probably a mid round pick 

One question I have is wouldn’t the team trading for Diggs actually get him much cheaper? I think that is the case, which would make him a decent value.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

One question I have is wouldn’t the team trading for Diggs actually get him much cheaper? I think that is the case, which would make him a decent value.

They would get him cheaper, in the sense that they would only be paying his salary, workout, and per-game roster bonuses so $19M.  

That still makes him like the 17th paid WR, although the trade partner could convert some of it to restructure bonuses.

Look I don’t think Stefon Diggs has much left as a top wide receiver in the NFL. I also don’t see him with the Buffalo Bills beyond the 2024 Bills season. With that in mind if I am the Bills offensive coordinator I would target Diggs alot. That seems to make him happy he is the Bills version of Jeff Skinner just wanting to score goals and not much more than that. With that in mind the Bills mind as well use this fool up while they have him. I am talking throw to him in traffic you name it. Why have our young future wide receivers take the tread off there tires type of thing with punishing hits over the middle. Make Stefon Diggs happy get his 100 yards a game and who cares. Because it’s pretty obvious the fool doesn’t even realize the Bills were lengthening Diggs career by cutting down on his targets. I am sorry but Diggs is too dumb to get it. As criticized as NFL fans are with Terrell Owens he  was one smart cookie when he played for the Buffalo Bills. He would always look for sidelines and run out of abounds to save the tread on his tires of his career. Watch Owens when he played he was always helping other Bills receivers off the field taking the punishing hits.

Stefon Diggs doesn’t get it he is making a ton of money and the Buffalo Bills targeting him less is a good thing for extending his NFL career. He isn’t going to get anymore huge NFL contracts like he got with the Bills in his prime years. He is getting to the age where he is looking at one and two year contracts for greatly reduced money if Diggs chooses to continue playing in the NFL. Diggs acts like he is in the beginning of his career when it’s the opposite he is nearing the end in salary cap NFL football today. Unfortunately Diggs doesn’t get it so give him what he wants burn him out then cut him at the end of the season. That is what I would do I would tell Josh Allen to throw to the fool until he is too exhausted to tweet online about wanting out of Buffalo in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't think anyone believes we'll be keeping Diggs for the length of his current contract.  

This year, it is "cheaper to keep him".

Next year, 2025, we save $$ by cutting him.

2026, we save substantial money by cutting him

How decent what we can get for him is, depends upon his performance this upcoming season.  It was a couple years ago (22?) but as linked above, when Dallas traded Amari Cooper they got a 5th.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Because it’s pretty obvious the fool doesn’t even realize the Bills were lengthening Diggs career by cutting down on his targets. I am sorry but Diggs is too dumb to get it. As criticized as NFL fans are with Terrell Owens he  was one smart cookie when he played for the Buffalo Bills. He would always look for sidelines and run out of abounds to save the tread on his tires of his career. Watch Owens when he played he was always helping other Bills receivers off the field taking the punishing hits.

The premise of your rant is fundamentally mistaken.

Since joining the Bills, Diggs targets have been 

2020 10 T/gm

2021 9.6 T/gm

2022 9.6 T/gm

2023 9.4 T/gm

I don't think decreasing his targets by 0.2 per game is gonna impact his career longevity too much.

That comes to 3.4 fewer targets per season.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Look I don’t think Stefon Diggs has much left as a top wide receiver in the NFL. I also don’t see him with the Buffalo Bills beyond the 2024 Bills season. With that in mind if I am the Bills offensive coordinator I would target Diggs alot. That seems to make him happy he is the Bills version of Jeff Skinner just wanting to score goals and not much more than that. With that in mind the Bills mind as well use this fool up while they have him. I am talking throw to him in traffic you name it. Why have our young future wide receivers take the tread off there tires type of thing with punishing hits over the middle. Make Stefon Diggs happy get his 100 yards a game and who cares. Because it’s pretty obvious the fool doesn’t even realize the Bills were lengthening Diggs career by cutting down on his targets. I am sorry but Diggs is too dumb to get it. As criticized as NFL fans are with Terrell Owens he  was one smart cookie when he played for the Buffalo Bills. He would always look for sidelines and run out of abounds to save the tread on his tires of his career. Watch Owens when he played he was always helping other Bills receivers off the field taking the punishing hits.

Stefon Diggs doesn’t get it he is making a ton of money and the Buffalo Bills targeting him less is a good thing for extending his NFL career. He isn’t going to get anymore huge NFL contracts like he got with the Bills in his prime years. He is getting to the age where he is looking at one and two year contracts for greatly reduced money if Diggs chooses to continue playing in the NFL. Diggs acts like he is in the beginning of his career when it’s the opposite he is nearing the end in salary cap NFL football today. Unfortunately Diggs doesn’t get it so give him what he wants burn him out then cut him at the end of the season. That is what I would do I would tell Josh Allen to throw to the fool until he is too exhausted to tweet online about wanting out of Buffalo in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I think you're reading too much into the stats tweet he did. But I guess that's kind of par for the course for this thread.

He wasn't complaining about his targets. He was simply using his stats to argue that he's still "him". He verified that was the point of the tweet in a follow up tweet.

Even if he hadn't explained the tweet and we were reading things into it, as is the case with most of the things he says, there's more than one way to look at it. He could have easily been saying "look what I did while ranking just 19th in targets".

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Eyeroll 1

The best thing anyone can do with a Diggs' Tweet?  DON'T TRY READING INTO IT.  You are better off ignoring it than trying to figure out what it means.  He's a Buffalo Bill.  He has a contract that is pretty much un-tradable.  Even if he isn't a top 5 WR anymore, it doesn't mean that he isn't good.  He works extremely hard.  He plays with an attitude and fire.  Whether he actually 100% wants to be here doesn't really mean anything.  He will play extremely hard on the field for us next season.

He's already come out and said he knows his tweets get people talking.  Heck, even Dawkins took a page out of his book and messed with fans and media just last week!  These players know they draw attention with whatever they do.  For better or worse, a lot of them just crave the attention and want to be noticed and talked about.  Others rather go about their business and not draw any attention to themselves.  Our QB is like that......  Our WR is not.  But it doesn't mean he doesn't want to be here or play for Buffalo anymore.  Just leave it be and he'll be on the field by mandatory mini-camp like he is every year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

We have to draft his replacement this year. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We actually don't.

While I certainly hope the WR we Draft this season can eventually be our #1, it's far from a guarantee that whomever we select is going to be a top flight #1 WR by next season. 

Diggs will be here for at least this season. If we do have to move on from him next year (which is not a 100% guarantee depending on this year's performance) and the Rookie we Draft isn't ready to take on that role in Year 2 - then we sign or trade for someone else next year. Or we try again in next year's Draft.

This year, we just need to replace Gabe Davis. Hopefully they're a hit and a future #1. But just as we're replacing Gabe this season, if we move on from Diggs, we'll need a body to replace him then too. The hope is that this year they'll be WR2 and maybe next year they'll be WR1. But if not, they can stay at WR2 and we'll look for someone else to be WR1.

Long story short, this idea that we NEED to Draft our Diggs replacement for the future this season is overblown. Yes, you hope that whomever we Draft can become that guy. But we have at least another Offseason between now and then.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We actually don't.

While I certainly hope the WR we Draft this season can eventually be our #1, it's far from a guarantee that whomever we select is going to be a top flight #1 WR by next season. 

Diggs will be here for at least this season. If we do have to move on from him next year (which is not a 100% guarantee depending on this year's performance) and the Rookie we Draft isn't ready to take on that role in Year 2 - then we sign or trade for someone else next year. Or we try again in next year's Draft.

This year, we just need to replace Gabe Davis. Hopefully they're a hit and a future #1. But just as we're replacing Gabe this season, if we move on from Diggs, we'll need a body to replace him then too. The hope is that this year they'll be WR2 and maybe next year they'll be WR1. But if not, they can stay at WR2 and we'll look for someone else to be WR1.

Long story short, this idea that we NEED to Draft our Diggs replacement for the future this season is overblown. Yes, you hope that whomever we Draft can become that guy. But we have at least another Offseason between now and then.

Thank you!

*pounds table for a Center*

The offense has every core piece in place the next 5 plus years - QB, LT, LG, C, RG, RT (Brown will be back) and TE.  

We will get a stud WR eventually.  It doesn’t have to be Round 1.   

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think the idea is that the rookie may need a year to acclimate and to actually become a number 1 WR.

In 2023, only 1 rookie WR had over 1,000 years. In 2022, only 2. So don't expect a rookie in 2025 to produce like a number 1. It's possible but not lilkely.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Thank you!

The offense has every core piece in place the next 5 plus years - QB, LT, LG, C, RG, RT (Brown will be back) and TE.  

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get carried away. I'm not saying that 😆

I still maintain we need another Top Flight WR to take things to the next level and that Round 1 is the place to do that. I'm just saying that I keep seeing "we must find our Diggs replacement this season" and that's not true.

We need to find a Starting Outside WR to replace Davis this season. Ideally they can replace Diggs at some point. But if they're not there when the time comes, we'll have at least another Offseason to remedy that.

As for the Center, they made a point to tell the media that McGovern is switching to Center and signed Edwards (who was a Starter before he came here under Kromer and someone Kromer loves) to replace McGovern at LG. That's the Starting Line for this season. 

We'll want to take a guy as Depth and Insurance. But that's not something you address in Round 1. Maybe not even in Round 2.

24 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I think the idea is that the rookie may need a year to acclimate and to actually become a number 1 WR.

In 2023, only 1 rookie WR had over 1,000 years. In 2022, only 2. So don't expect a rookie in 2025 to produce like a number 1. It's possible but not lilkely.

Exactly. That's the hope. But if they aren't ready to take that step after this year, we'll have next offseason to address the position further.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We actually don't.

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Thank you!

This 3-post progression lays out the fundamental distinction between assessing offseason roster/depth chart needs versus bigger picture impact players. 

Those who want the Bills to draft an alpha WR NOW, no matter what, aren't hoping to replace Davis' role from last year to plug that new "hole." They're hoping to IMPROVE upon what the Bills had last year. They're hoping to take advantage of a legendary WR draft class, where even at 28, need most likely meets value at an impact position. JA17 has never had a top WR with elite traits. He's had Foster, Jones, Brown, Beasley, Diggs, Sanders, and Davis. Gotta add a blue chip boundary beast to take another step forward.

Those who don't see an urgent need to upgrade at WR are satisfied with what we've seen from the Bills offense when it matters most. But how have the WRs performed in our playoff losses, minus 13 seconds? How has Diggs performed, specifically? 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get carried away. I'm not saying that 😆

I still maintain we need another Top Flight WR to take things to the next level and that Round 1 is the place to do that. I'm just saying that I keep seeing "we must find our Diggs replacement this season" and that's not true.

We need to find a Starting Outside WR to replace Davis this season. Ideally they can replace Diggs at some point. But if they're not there when the time comes, we'll have at least another Offseason to remedy that.

As for the Center, they made a point to tell the media that McGovern is switching to Center and signed Edwards (who was a Starter before he came here under Kromer and someone Kromer loves) to replace McGovern at LG. That's the Starting Line for this season. 

We'll want to take a guy as Depth and Insurance. But that's not something you address in Round 1. Maybe not even in Round 2.

Exactly. That's the hope. But if they aren't ready to take that step after this year, we'll have next offseason to address the position further.

Reasonable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As good as Diggs has been I believe the decline could be significant over next couple years. As for his attention needs it's nothing but NFL Receiveritis. No known cure.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

they pay him the same money: we just keep the dead dollars for accounting since we already paid them 

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We actually don't.

This is the best WR draft talent wise in a long time.  Gotta take the swing and get him as many reps as possible 

Seems like Diggs has been sort of waging war with the Bills for a while. Can’t be helping chemistry. 

Wasn’t there a rumor that Allen hooked up with his girlfriend, or ex or something? There’s definitely been some bad blood there anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1