Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

no trades...

I want Diggs and Mike Evans lined up at WR next year for the Bills, with a 1st or 2nd round rookie and Shakir as well, and maybe a proven decent vet guy like Beasley was when we signed him.

Diggs

Mike Evans
Thomas Jr / Franklin / Legette / AD Mitchell / Worthy
Shakir
Curtis Samuel

Shorter

YES.   Will never happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Sigh. You are your own worst enemy.

That is rich coming from you lol...especially for someone who is obviously desperate to be taken serious around here after lots of previous nonsense yet can't help himself and revert back to nonsense like gas lighting and manipulating a narrative while ignoring the facts.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs

Mike Evans
Shakir
Curtis Samuel

Shorter

Evans would be interesting, but I don't think they are going to go after any of the bigger WR names.  Not only do we have a WR1 still in Diggs, but Shakir is set to take a large WR role this year and Kincaid showed he was worth the hype.  Between those 2, we already have a strong first 3 reads for Allen.  This draft is very WR heavy, so I think they are going to go after a rookie who can start opposite Diggs early in the draft with the potential to become a WR1 to succeed Diggs, then add another prospect somewhere else in the draft.

I do think they will still bring in a vet, maybe 2 and Samuel is the type of Vet I can see them bringing in (not saying it will be him specifically).  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs

Mike Evans
Shakir
Curtis Samuel

Shorter

I hope he proves me wrong but Shorter has the feel of one of those high-ceiling prospects that never pans out.

• Like (+1) 2

Oh joy! This thread is back. 

He's not going anywhere this season. After 2024 - it's an option.

It would cost us extra money and less in compensation to do it this year. We're not going to bite off our nose to spite our face when we can just wait a year.

Especially in a year where we have to replace upwards of half of our WR core already and are so far in the red. We're approximately 54m over this year. Next year, we're 26.6m under the cap.

We'll Draft a guy this year in Round 1. He'll take some coverage and pressure away from Diggs. Which will allow him to play more like himself and not get as burned to the wick as quickly. 

We'll probably double dip in the later rounds to provide insurance ala Elam and Benford in 2022. Let those guys get a year of experience under them and groom them under an all time great.

Then, if those guys take off immediately, we can move Diggs' contract if we feel we no longer need him. It will cost us less, the opposing team won't have as much to take on which will yield us more in a trade, and we'll be in a better shape capwise, and hopefully roster wise, that it won't hurt us nearly as much.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Oh joy! This thread is back. 

He's not going anywhere this season. After 2024 - it's an option.

It would cost us extra money and less in compensation to do it this year. We're not going to bite off our nose to spite our face when we can just wait a year.

Especially in a year where we have to replace upwards of half of our WR core already and are so far in the red. We're approximately 54m over this year. Next year, we're 26.6m under the cap.

We'll Draft a guy this year in Round 1. He'll take some coverage and pressure away from Diggs. Which will allow him to play more like himself and not get as burned to the wick as quickly. 

We'll probably double dip in the later rounds to provide insurance ala Elam and Benford in 2022. Let those guys get a year of experience under them and groom them under an all time great.

Then, if those guys take off immediately, we can move Diggs' contract if we feel we no longer need him. It will cost us less, the opposing team won't have as much to take on which will yield us more in a trade, and we'll be in a better shape capwise, and hopefully roster wise, that it won't hurt us nearly as much.

How does it cost us extra money to do it this year?

My understanding is that, on the whole, it saves us more money to get it done this year.

18 hours ago, FireChans said:

My understanding is that, on the whole, it saves us more money to get it done this year.

Diggs' dead-cap hit this season would be higher then what we're actually paying him.  It would quite literally cost us more to get rid of him.

18 hours ago, FireChans said:

He has a $27.8M cap hit if he is on the team. Or a $31M dead cap hit if we move him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/

Next year his cap hit will be $27.3M on the team, or $22.2M is we move him.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You tell me. I'm also curious to know how this little contract tidbit affects those numbers:

• 2024 salary fully guarantees 03/17/2024

And moving on from him post 6/1 jams up the dead cap next season. 2024 is the first year of his extension, there is virtually no way to move on from Diggs the next 2 seasons without killing the Cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You tell me. I'm also curious to know how this little contract tidbit affects those numbers:

• 2024 salary fully guarantees 03/17/2024

03/17/2024 → 6/1/2024

2024 Dead Cap: $49,596,000 2024

Cap Savings: $-21,742,000

Post 6/1 release:

2024 Dead Cap: $8,849,0002025

Dead Cap: $22,247,0002024

Cap Savings: $19,005,000

they make a special point to delineate the 2024 salary guaranteeing on 3/17 but still giving the 6/1 date after. 

So….

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

03/17/2024 → 6/1/2024

Post 6/1 release:

they make a special point to delineate the 2024 salary guaranteeing on 3/17 but still giving the 6/1 date after. 

So….

It’s been discussed on Locked On/Cover 1 at length, there is no way to move on from Diggs the next 2 seasons without eating an absolute ungodly amount of dead cap. Take a listen if you want, they explain it better than I can.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’s been discussed on Locked On/Cover 1 at length, there is no way to move on from Diggs the next 2 seasons without eating an absolute ungodly amount of dead cap. Take a listen if you want, they explain it better than I can.

Not to sound arrogant, but I don’t find those guys to have as trustworthy opinions as others do. 

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

03/17/2024 → 6/1/2024

Post 6/1 release:

So….

But then what is the 2025 dead cap number you are kicking down the road? That money doesnt just disappear because you wait until June 1.

I'm also not really following your numbers or how you have them laid out as it pertains to releasing/trading Diggs and his cap numbers.

14 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

And moving on from him post 6/1 jams up the dead cap next season. 2024 is the first year of his extension, there is virtually no way to move on from Diggs the next 2 seasons without killing the Cap. 

We can do it in 2025 to save $5M. But I have to think $5M isnt worth losing a player like Diggs over.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Oh they are homers for sure, but I dig it.

If I need some Buffalo Bills doom and gloom, I just come here lol

What really turned me off of Cover1 was them carrying water for Dorsey all season pointing to his EPA/play etc etc; until he got fired, then doing a complete 180 and talking about how had a lack of feel for calling a game, and calling a series and the chess match stuff.

Neither take is necessarily bad (despite my personal opinions) but I find very little value in takes that change with the wind.  If they lack conviction, then they are just saying stuff they think people want to hear.

This calls their objectivity into question. Even in their Diggs' contract takes (which I begrudgingly listened to), they start off talking about how he still has value, how he's still a WR1, how they think he's very valuable to the Bills, then talk about how his contract is "unmovable."  Are they saying that because they actually believe it, or because they want it to be true?

Once that question needs to be asked, you aren't worth my time.