Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

What really turned me off of Cover1 was them carrying water for Dorsey all season pointing to his EPA/play etc etc; until he got fired, then doing a complete 180 and talking about how had a lack of feel for calling a game, and calling a series and the chess match stuff.

Neither take is necessarily bad (despite my personal opinions) but I find very little value in takes that change with the wind.  If they lack conviction, then they are just saying stuff they think people want to hear.

This calls their objectivity into question. Even in their Diggs' contract takes (which I begrudgingly listened to), they start off talking about how he still has value, how he's still a WR1, how they think he's very valuable to the Bills, then talk about how his contract is "unmovable."  Are they saying that because they actually believe it, or because they want it to be true?

Once that question needs to be asked, you aren't worth my time.

The contract is unmovable because of how the cap hit accelerates though, no?  Not because the contract value exceeds his ability.. at least, perception-wise.

If we were able to trade him, and his contract, I think there would be teams interested.  Not sure what the return would be, but I think he's movable at his cap hits.. just not the way we have it structured. 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But then what is the 2025 dead cap number you are kicking down the road? That money doesnt just disappear because you wait until June 1.

I'm also not really following your numbers or how you have them laid out as it pertains to releasing/trading Diggs and his cap numbers.

We can do it in 2025 to save $5M. But I have to think $5M isnt worth losing a player like Diggs over.

Those numbers are straight from Spotrac.  The dead money in 2025 for a post 6/1 cut is the same whether he gets cuts post 6/1 or in league year 2025.

image.thumb.png.40328c01f8d4d089e43e5481ef65daa9.png

This is for league year 2024.

image.thumb.png.394030ee7f69eeb341d4e796b85ef3eb.png

This is for league year 2025.

Per Spotrac, cutting Diggs post 6/1 in 2024 saves us 19M this year, and 5M next year.  But no Diggs in 2024, obviously.

Cutting Diggs next year saves us no money in 2024, again obviously, and the same 5M next year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But then what is the 2025 dead cap number you are kicking down the road? That money doesnt just disappear because you wait until June 1.

I'm also not really following your numbers or how you have them laid out as it pertains to releasing/trading Diggs and his cap numbers.

We can do it in 2025 to save $5M. But I have to think $5M isnt worth losing a player like Diggs over.

Even saving the 5m, you eat 24m.

All this because he won’t answer the medias same three questions 500 times. 

Are you happy?

Hows your relationship with Josh?

About your brother…

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The contract is unmovable because of how the cap hit accelerates though, no?  Not because the contract value exceeds his ability.. at least, perception-wise.

If we were able to trade him, and his contract, I think there would be teams interested.  Not sure what the return would be, but I think he's movable at his cap hits.. just not the way we have it structured. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Those numbers are straight from Spotrac.  The dead money in 2025 for a post 6/1 cut is the same whether he gets cuts post 6/1 or in league year 2025.

image.thumb.png.40328c01f8d4d089e43e5481ef65daa9.png

This is for league year 2024.

image.thumb.png.394030ee7f69eeb341d4e796b85ef3eb.png

This is for league year 2025.

Per Spotrac, cutting Diggs post 6/1 in 2024 saves us 19M this year, and 5M next year.  But no Diggs in 2024, obviously.

Cutting Diggs next year saves us no money in 2024, again obviously, and the same 5M next year.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What really turned me off of Cover1 was them carrying water for Dorsey all season pointing to his EPA/play etc etc; until he got fired, then doing a complete 180 and talking about how had a lack of feel for calling a game, and calling a series and the chess match stuff.

Neither take is necessarily bad (despite my personal opinions) but I find very little value in takes that change with the wind.  If they lack conviction, then they are just saying stuff they think people want to hear.

This calls their objectivity into question. Even in their Diggs' contract takes (which I begrudgingly listened to), they start off talking about how he still has value, how he's still a WR1, how they think he's very valuable to the Bills, then talk about how his contract is "unmovable."  Are they saying that because they actually believe it, or because they want it to be true?

Once that question needs to be asked, you aren't worth my time.

I mean, that's just not true. Erik and crew were very critical of Dorsey going back to the 2022 season, and his lack of creativity, and his reliance on coverage beaters and (I'm forgetting the name of the concept where the two inside WRs cross each other over the middle and then turn up-field).

They have multiple videos from the start of the 2023 season and then pretty much one a week questioning Dorsey, his play calling, and his scheme.

They may have given him a little credit on running "an effecient offense" but then always went on to say "What's that efficiency worth when your offense isnt working?"

• Like (+1) 1

He’s a typical WR diva, unfortunately his play drops off in the postseason, the contract extension is Bean’s biggest resigning mistake by far. I don’t hold it against him as I was onboard with the extension at the time, it just sucks it’s turned out the way it has.

If it were only about Diggs refusal to answer media questions as some are suggesting then this wouldn’t even be a story, it’s about his on field performance in the playoffs and his lack of accountability coming from a team captain.

It’s highly unlikely he goes anywhere because of the financials, so let’s just hope with a stud rookie on the other side it rejuvenates Diggs competitive juices in January.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, that's just not true. Erik and crew were very critical of Dorsey going back to the 2022 season, and his lack of creativity, and his reliance on coverage beaters and (I'm forgetting the name of the concept where the two inside WRs cross each other over the middle and then turn up-field).

They have multiple videos from the start of the 2023 season and then pretty much one a week questioning Dorsey, his play calling, and his scheme.

They may have given him a little credit on running "an effecient offense" but then always went on to say "What's that efficiency worth when your offense isnt working?"

lebowski-opinion.thumb.gif.1eef13dc4825cc5436a6fb544115ce62.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Actually, not it's not just the opinion of @DrDawkinstein.

here is a video where they blame Dorsey for a lot of the play concepts and "shepherding Allen into making some of his bad decisions (they still assign some responsibility to Josh).

To make things ultra easy, I'm also attaching a screen shot where they literally say it (see the CC). I've even put a yellow oval around it so you can't miss it.

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 1.13.23 PM copy.jpg

9 minutes ago, julian said:

He’s a typical WR diva, unfortunately his play drops off in the postseason, the contract extension is Bean’s biggest resigning mistake by far. I don’t hold it against him as I was onboard with the extension at the time, it just sucks it’s turned out the way it has.

If it were only about Diggs refusal to answer media questions as some are suggesting then this wouldn’t even be a story, it’s about his on field performance in the playoffs and his lack of accountability coming from a team captain.

It’s highly unlikely he goes anywhere because of the financials, so let’s just hope with a stud rookie on the other side it rejuvenates Diggs competitive juices in January.

What?

77 targets, 47 receptions (61%), 600 yards, 4 TDs in 8 playoff games. 

That’s 6 catches for 75 yards a game on average.

Let me guess, not good enough. 

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

Actually, not it's not just the opinion of @DrDawkinstein.

here is a video where they blame Dorsey for a lot of the play concepts and "shepherding Allen into making some of his bad decisions (they still assign some responsibility to Josh).

To make things ultra easy, I'm also attaching a screen shot where they literally say it (see the CC). I've even put a yellow oval around it so you can't miss it.

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 1.13.23 PM copy.jpg

When was that video posted?

Oh, two days after Kenny boi was shown the door. Lmao. Proved my point for me, thank you for the yellow oval.

37 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Even saving the 5m, you eat 24m.

All this because he won’t answer the medias same three questions 500 times. 

Are you happy?

Hows your relationship with Josh?

About your brother…

For me it's a performance issue, if we're being honest. 

He's not good enough for me to feel like we should deal with any diva attitude.  He doesn't take over games like other elite WR1's and he continually disappears in the postseason. 

I'm completely fine moving off him as long as we invest heavy at WR via the draft and potential value FA's.  

We need to get younger and cheaper .. and guys who don't show up in the postseason are good places to start. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Basically, confirmation bias rules the thread.

If your opinion is that Diggs is a problem, you will see reasons why.

If your opinion is that he isn’t a problem, you will see reasons for that instead.

Y’all have fun arguing over nothing *hat tip* 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, julian said:

Agreed.  16 catches for 140 yards, 0 TD’s on 35 targets in our last 4 playoffs losses.  He’s a good WR but ain’t that dude and never was.  He complained his way out of Minnesota to find a situation where he’d get more targets.  Kudos to him for betting on Josh before others outside of Buffalo did.  Josh is now unquestionably a top 3 QB and we can do better at #1WR.  Mike Evans please.  

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Diggs ain't going anywhere for at least the next 2-3 years. Make peace with that. 

The question is: Will Diggs make peace with that?

Bonus question: Will his brother?

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

When was that video posted?

Oh, two days after Kenny boi was shown the door. Lmao. Proved my point for me, thank you for the yellow oval.

Ok, mea culpa THAT video was posted after the Dorsey firing. 

THIS one wasn't. It's very critical of Doresy and it's posted Nov. 6. Before his firing.

I quote: "It's got to be frustrating the players on the field to see the lack of creativity week in and week out from Ken Dorsey on offense."
17:52 of the video. But there's criticism throughout. That's just an example.

Boom. There ya have it. I wasted too much of my afternoon for this but you're wrong and this is proof.

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

The question is: Will Diggs make peace with that?

Bonus question: Will his brother?

As Diggs says he can't control his brother and it's obvious the brother wants him in Dallas. It doesn't mean Stefon wants the same thing. Personally I think Diggs got painted with a bad guy brush in the Minnesota media perhaps because he voiced displeasure there and now people want to continue the story here in Buffalo but don't think it's happening. Yet Diggs know he ultimately can't control the media's narratives and just gives them indirect answers to their questions. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

haha, I also used a Lebowski meme today. Had to paste a "I'm calmer than you are" gif into a work chat. :lol:

But it's not opinion if you look at Cover1's youtube page. You can plainly see there are videos questioning Dorsey posted in 2022's season AND from the start of the 2023 season. Plenty from before he was fired.

This is from November of 2022. And while it starts as sounding like a Josh video, it quickly turns into a scheme/philosophy issue video where they criticize the plays and designs Dorsey is using

Edited by DrDawkinstein

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

As Diggs says he can't control his brother and it's obvious the brother wants him in Dallas. It doesn't mean Stefon wants the same thing. Personally I think Diggs got painted with a bad guy brush in the Minnesota media perhaps because he voiced displeasure there and now people want to continue the story here in Buffalo but don't think it's happening. Yet Diggs know he ultimately can't control the media's narratives and just gives them indirect answers to their questions. 

Diggs dodging those questions about his brother is why this is still a topic.  Funny how last week when he was on Kay Adams and she was asking about the trade rumours he seemed pretty open about leaving. “Where there is smoke there is fire”. Those were his words, but we not suppose to believe his brother bull####. Come on. Dude wants out but doesn’t want to be labeled a cry baby for the second time. 

• Like (+1) 1