2024 WR Draft Class

6 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Okay, I'm going with a small trade up for Mitchell, or Legette at #28. I am in the minority, and I know you don't agree, but I wouldn't be mad if it was McConkey.

I'll be mad if it is Robinson.

Chop or the Mizzou kid? 

Id rather a WR like you and honestly wouldn’t care who it is as I’m sure they’ll have some high end talent we can utilize for Josh. 

Need to do something for both positions. I am a huge fan of Groot and like AJE but I am certainly not banking on them being an absolute game changing presence week in, week out. 

With that point, it is what it is if they choose a edge player… And personally, if it came down to that, would like Missouri’s Robinson. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Living in Atlanta and with a UGA DIL, I’ve seen quite a bit of McConkey too. He just looks like….a football player.

He’s gritty and smart, and fun to watch.  I know he measures close to some of the bigger outside guys, but he doesn’t look it to me for some reason. 

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

He doesn't look as athletic as he is, either. He's a stealth fella. Folks think he is just getting by on guile, but they are wrong.

Im very high on McConkey.  I think 5 years from now when they look back at this draft, McConkey will talked about as one of the best players to come out of this draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think you have an old school mindset about formations and lining up. Kupp, Nacua, and Atwell are all classified as slots guys and they made it work. I get the idea of a bigger body across from Diggs but this is 2024 not 1995. If you have an innovator on offense body types shouldn’t matter. 

Waddle and Tyreek Hill neither is a traditional X

Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel , Jahan Dotson

Jags had Ridley , Christian Kirk, and Zay Jones none of which are X WRs 

I don't think I want to aim to be the Jags ot the Commanders weapons and while you are right on the Rams and the Dolphins I think those Shanny stretch zone offenses give you a bit more leeway. 

If a team draft McConkey and thinks they have drafted a #1 receiver good luck to them.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think I want to aim to be the Jags ot the Commanders weapons and while you are right on the Rams and the Dolphins I think those Shanny stretch zone offenses give you a bit more leeway. 

If a team draft McConkey and thinks they have drafted a #1 receiver good luck to them.

The Jags are a funny argument point too. They literally just specifically targeted and paid big for a True Outside WR.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I only used them because they were off the top of my head. I’m sure if you went through every roster you’ll find teams without traditional Xs, traditional Z receivers and slots. I don’t understand the hesitancy for McConkey but the love for other guys. McConkey was one of the reasons why Mitchell transferred to Texas but a lot of people want Mitchell here it makes no sense. 

You also stated McConkey was a slot early on but now earlier in this thread said he was a move Z now. What changed since then

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I only used them because they were off the top of my head. I’m sure if you went through every roster you’ll find teams without traditional Xs, traditional Z receivers and slots. I don’t understand the hesitancy for McConkey but the love for other guys. McConkey was one of the reasons why Mitchell transferred to Texas but a lot of people want Mitchell here it makes no sense. 

You also stated McConkey was a slot early on but now earlier in this thread said he was a move Z now. What changed since then

I still think he is a slot. That is where I'd put him. I think it is where his skillset will be seen to best advantage. But I do think he can play some Z for you as a move receiver, as to distinguish him from someone like Khalil Shakir who is a pure slot receiver and you can't use for more than the odd snap here and there as an outside guy (to be clear I think he is more talented than Shakir I am just talking scheme usage wise). 

As for the comparison to Mitchell - I have them very close on my board. I have Mitchell slightly ahead but I don't have a big gap between them. It's not like I am here banging the Mitchell drum and being anti-Ladd. They are my WR6 and WR7. But I do think when I watch the Bills our needs are someone who can beat man coverage and who does most of their work downfield and they are not Ladd's strongest suits. If he goes to a Shanny scheme and they move him all over the show I can well imagine him being excellent. I don't think that makes him an obvious fit for the Bills. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's excellent for those teams but I do want a star receiver who is big and has an extra gear to track down an overthrown ball for the Buffalo Bills..........because being accurate downfield in Miami is different than doing so in Buffalo.   From the wind/rain/cold to Josh Allen's inconsistent ball placement to the crowned field the Bills need a big, downfield target to provide a larger catch radius IMO.   And if you have to have one out there he might as well be a good one.   

Please explain who the 6’3 220 pound guy with elite hands, track speed, who can separate and has excellent body control will be available at 28. Legette is 6’1, Coleman had iffy contested catch rates, and Mitchell despite his combine numbers hasn’t shown he can separate 

2 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I think the trade back is a stronger possibility so "we" have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds.  

It depends, the benefit of a trade back is additional picks but a drawback would be losing an extra year to keep a player around if we ended up moving out of Round 1 entirely. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I still think he is a slot. That is where I'd put him. I think it is where his skillset will be seen to best advantage. But I do think he can play some Z for you as a move receiver, as to distinguish him from someone like Khalil Shakir who is a pure slot receiver and you can't use for more than the odd snap here and there as an outside guy (to be clear I think he is more talented than Shakir I am just talking scheme usage wise). 

As for the comparison to Mitchell - I have them very close on my board. I have Mitchell slightly ahead but I don't have a big gap between them. It's not like I am here banging the Mitchell drum and being anti-Ladd. They are my WR6 and WR7. But I do think when I watch the Bills our needs are someone who can beat man coverage and who does most of their work downfield and they are not Ladd's strongest suits. If he goes to a Shanny scheme and they move him all over the show I can well imagine him being excellent. I don't think that makes him an obvious fit for the Bills. 

Excellent explanation - thank you.

There are at least a dozen WRs in this draft who would help the Bills, but not all of them would complement Diggs, Kincaid and Shakir.  Finding a big, fast outside guy to hopefully be better than Davis was is hard.  I think of the top WRs it is really Mitchell, Coleman and Legette that fit that bill.  

Of that group, I would exclude Coleman - he could be dominant, but I would hope for someone who can get open and he hasn’t shown that and he lacks top end speed.  In spite of the current hype around him, I think he will languish on the board until late 2nd.

That, for me, would leave the decision in round 1 to Mitchell or Legette or trade down or pick another position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Please explain who the 6’3 220 pound guy with elite hands, track speed, who can separate and has excellent body control will be available at 28. Legette is 6’1, Coleman had iffy contested catch rates, and Mitchell despite his combine numbers hasn’t shown he can separate 

You are moving the goal post.   You WANT to build a WR corps to play in a dome.   That is what you are advocating because you like the strategy.   The player you are describing though is Adonai Mitchell.   If they think that his personality is a fit.   I won't be devastated if they picked Ladd McConkey at 28 but as a smaller catch radius, low production player entering the NFL he damn well better be the Diggs replacement in 2025.    I don't want a WR corps in Buffalo without a better, big body X receiver option than Gabe Davis turned out to be.    It's just a huge advantage to have that size outside in late season Highmark stadium weather.      

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are moving the goal post.   You WANT to build a WR corps to play in a dome.   That is what you are advocating because you like the strategy.   The player you are describing though is Adonai Mitchell.   If they think that his personality is a fit.   I won't be devastated if they picked Ladd McConkey at 28 but as a smaller catch radius, low production player entering the NFL he damn well better be the Diggs replacement in 2025.    I don't want a WR corps in Buffalo without a better, big body X receiver option than Gabe Davis turned out to be.    It's just a huge advantage to have that size outside in late season Highmark stadium weather.      

Im not moving the goal post you literally said you wanted a big WR with track speed who can make contested catches . So what happens if Mitchell is off the board which I think is a possibility? I’m not totally advocating for McConkey. I’m mock drafting rn and don’t have the Bills taking him in my version but if Mitchell is gone where is your next guy that fits that criteria

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Are we back to debating Josh's inaccuracy again???

1 minute ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

Are we back to debating Josh's inaccuracy again???

Im not. I’m not the guy demanding a big X WR opposite of Diggs like so many. I get the reasoning behind it but I think Allen’s accuracy allows us not to have that guy 

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Im not moving the goal post you literally said you wanted a big WR with track speed who can make contested catches . So what happens if Mitchell is off the board which I think is a possibility? I’m not totally advocating for McConkey. I’m mock drafting rn and don’t have the Bills taking him in my version but if Mitchell is gone where is your next guy that fits that criteria

What if McConkey is off the board?   He's Garrett Wilson 2.0 right? ;)   I think I'm being pretty clear..........we already have a T-Rex armed slot guy capable of putting up close to 1K yards in Shakir as well as Diggs whose catch radius and range downfield is getting smaller by the year.    I don't want 3 short/intermediate receivers on the field all the time.    If I am taking a 6' tall guy and he doesn't run a 4.21 then he better be pushing Diggs off the roster in 2025 because I don't want to have to choose between Diggs, pick #28 or Shakir coming off the field when the wet snow is falling like that Cinci playoff loss or the wind is blowing the ball around like in the Baltimore playoff win.   A big X is a requirement in Buffalo, IMO. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What if McConkey is off the board?   He's Garrett Wilson 2.0 right? ;)   I think I'm being pretty clear..........we already have a T-Rex armed slot guy capable of putting up close to 1K yards in Shakir as well as Diggs whose catch radius and range downfield is getting smaller by the year.    I don't want 3 short/intermediate receivers on the field all the time.    If I am taking a 6' tall guy and he doesn't run a 4.21 then he better be pushing Diggs off the roster in 2025 because I don't want to have to choose between Diggs, pick #28 or Shakir coming off the field when the wet snow is falling like that Cinci playoff loss or the wind is blowing the ball around like in the Baltimore playoff win.   A big X is a requirement in Buffalo, IMO. 

Just get me the best player.  This sounds an awful lot like 2008 when we couldn't draft Desean Jackson because we already had smurfs on the roster and we needed that James Hardy size!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So unless he runs the fastest 40 time in history you don’t want a guy who’s 6 foot. I think McConkey will be on the board but not much after 28 if he is. I actually have the Bills taking Worthy at 28 right now. 

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Legette is 6' 1" with a 40" vertical. He's a textbook definition of "plays bigger than he is." 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Just get me the best player.  This sounds an awful lot like 2008 when we couldn't draft Desean Jackson because we already had smurfs on the roster and we needed that James Hardy size!

There is a lot of WR talent in this draft..........but if you want(and I quote you) "the best player" you better trade up because you are looking at WR 6-8 at pick #28.  

I already addressed the speed issue.  The Bills sorely lack elite speed and a deep threat but even if you have that in house those are traits you can stack.   That's not what McConkey is.   He isn't going to be a 20 yards per reception threat like DeSean Jackson was entering the NFL.   If the draft dropped off at WR after McConkey and if upcoming drafts looked bereft of WR talent then maybe you don't worry about the redundancy of short-intermediate receivers but that's not the case.    

25 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

So unless he runs the fastest 40 time in history you don’t want a guy who’s 6 foot. I think McConkey will be on the board but not much after 28 if he is. I actually have the Bills taking Worthy at 28 right now. 

I want traits that can elevate the offense to another level.   Maybe McConkey turns out to be that guy to replace Diggs but it's not like the cupboard is bare at 6' short-intermediate WR after he's off the board.   And next year's draft will be excellent at WR.   And the following.   And then the 2026 draft will be off the chain at WR.   There are a lot of them coming.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a lot of WR talent in this draft..........but if you want(and I quote you) "the best player" you better trade up because you are looking at WR 6-8 at pick #28.  

I already addressed the speed issue.  The Bills sorely lack elite speed and a deep threat but even if you have that in house those are traits you can stack.   That's not what McConkey is.   He isn't going to be a 20 yards per reception threat like DeSean Jackson was entering the NFL.   If the draft dropped off at WR after McConkey and if upcoming drafts looked bereft of WR talent then maybe you don't worry about the redundancy of short-intermediate receivers but that's not the case.    

I want traits that can elevate the offense to another level.   Maybe McConkey turns out to be that guy to replace Diggs but it's not like the cupboard is bare at 6' short-intermediate WR after he's off the board.   And next year's draft will be excellent at WR.   And the following.   And then the 2026 draft will be off the chain at WR.   There are a lot of them coming.   

The board may melt down if Beane takes, oh I don't know, what he believes is a true #1 lock down cb at 28 if his round 1 receivers are all gone. And if he does, it's because there's so much talent beyond the top 8-10 receivers.

Want to win in this game? Want Josh to set the NFL on fire?
Then, we need a monster WR who wins contested catches in this draft. I would go Rome. 

We learned a lot from the Sammy Watkins episode, and also from the Julio Jones trade up..

It’s always a flip of a coin, but that’s why Beane makes the big bucks and at this point, we have to gamble. 

Edited by Brian Higgins hair

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

Anyone got an opinion on Jerrod Means (Pitt)?

Goes by Bub so that’s a positive right there. From the very little amount I can find of him on YouTube…day 3 X receiver. Not quick in the short and intermediate but once he picks up speed he can outrace corners deep so his forty time and below average 10 yard split makes sense on tape. Was not done many favors by his QB this year.

See him as a player that if you miss out on the first two tiers of X receivers early, you can target late as someone who has the measurables to develop into that role for you.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Love to hear how being tall is an advantage come December & January?

In Buffalo specifically windy inclement weather makes the precision passing game more difficult. Larger big bodied receivers tend to in my opinion not need that type of rhythm timing precision passing game to excel, not that they can't, but it just sometimes comes down to the bigger boy wins.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s a question.

Rome Odunze trade up or 2 WRs in the first 2 rounds?

I would absolutely not trade up for Odunze. It would cost next year's 1st & more picks, and I don't think he's gonna be any better than the guys we could get at #28. Odunze gives me Quentin Johnson vibes, big fast target who was dominant in college because he was left wide open all the time but doesn't have great separation skills.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s a question.

Rome Odunze trade up or 2 WRs in the first 2 rounds?

Odunze trade up isn't happening. Far too much capital to get where he'll be. Beane's not someone who trades away next year picks on Draft Day. He's the kind of guy who collects them. I see no scenario where he sees Odunze worthy of 2 1st's versus the kind of guy we can get for less than half of the price. We didn't even bother to talk to MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze at the Combine. If it was even so much of a thought that we might, we would have.

2 in the first 2 Rounds? I see that as pretty unlikely too. Unless we really start getting to work in FA to get another legit Starting Safety, two solid Rotational DT's (one 3T, one 1T), and another solid DE (essentially we're just running to back minus Floyd and Shaq). Just too many holes right now to not address any other position until the end of Round 4, when you're in the true developmental prospect portion of the Draft.

The best case scenario I see for us? Brian Thomas slides a little bit and we make a trade up into the early 20's and land him. Or we just move a couple slots to secure an AD Mitchell type. Then we double down in Round 4 with the best still available. And to ensure we're not putting all our eggs into the Rookie WR basket, we play the vet WR market patiently and land a guy at a decent price that we're comfortable starting in the event neither Rookie is a splash right out of the gate (as most Rookie WR's aren't) and can at least provide more as an Outside WR3.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Odunze trade up isn't happening. Far too much capital to get where he'll be. Beane's not someone who trades away next year picks on Draft Day. He's the kind of guy who collects them. I see no scenario where he sees Odunze worthy of 2 1st's versus the kind of guy we can get for less than half of the price. We didn't even bother to talk to MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze at the Combine. If it was even so much of a thought that we might, we would have.

2 in the first 2 Rounds? I see that as pretty unlikely too. Unless we really start getting to work in FA to get another legit Starting Safety, two solid Rotational DT's (one 3T, one 1T), and another solid DE (essentially we're just running to back minus Floyd and Shaq). Just too many holes right now to not address any other position until the end of Round 4, when you're in the true developmental prospect portion of the Draft.

The best case scenario I see for us? Brian Thomas slides a little bit and we make a trade up into the early 20's and land him. Or we just move a couple slots to secure an AD Mitchell type. Then we double down in Round 4 with the best still available. And to ensure we're not putting all our eggs into the WR basket, we play the vet WR market patiently and land a guy at a decent price that we're comfortable starting in the event neither Rookie is a splash right out of the gate (as most Rookie WR's aren't) and can at least provide more as an Outside WR3.

We just signed Curtis Samuel. I think Beane is going to concentrate on getting his WR in round 1. Trade up for Thomas, small jump for Mitchell, or wait on Legette, though you probably could trade back and still get Legette.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

We just signed Curtis Samuel. I think Beane is going to concentrate on getting his WR in the round 1. Trade up for Thomas, small jump for Mitchell, or wait on Legette, though you probably could trade back and still get Legette.

Just saw it. That's awesome!

• Agree 1

Troy Franklin (WR4 imo) has a private workout with the Bills, per Tony Pauline:

There were plenty of storylines from Oregon pro day, which was televised earlier this week, and receiver Troy Franklin was one of the better ones. As I posted on Twitter, Franklin was sick during the Combine and weighed in at eight pounds heavier (176 versus 183) on pro day. He then looked exceptional catching the ball in position drills and impressed a lot of scouts.

The Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets and New England Patriots met with Franklin the day before the workout. The receiver presently has four official 30 visits as well as a private workout scheduled with the Buffalo Bills. Franklin is knocking on the door of round one.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-insider-notes-2024-ucla-wisconsin-oregon-pro-day-braelon-allen-missing-troy-franklin-shines

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Worthy will be a dangerous weapon, but at 165lbs he is too small for a 1st round pick, in my opinion.

Not sure if true, but some including I think cover1 have speculated he was 165 lbs just so he could try to break the record 40 yard dash time and will likely play closer to 175 lbs.