2024 WR Draft Class

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And to add to what @DCOrange says above - I completely agree with him that the age and single year of college production are legit "flags" on Legette's profile. I agree that the track record of guys with that profile coming into the NFL is not stellar.

But I think his 2023 film is very good and it is very good despite him being a one man offense. There was nobody else among the passing game weapons at South Carolina who will even play on Sundays. Teams were focussed on trying to take Legette away, especially by mid-season - the Florida game stood out to me.... it was almost as if the defenses were only playing Legette and he still had a big day. That is where to me he is just more impressive than some of other guys in the 2nd/3rd tier of this class - he had to stand up week after week and make the plays and be the alpha. Sure the two Texas kids have their merits but they also helped one another. Brian Thomas's production was definitely helped by Malik Nabers playing opposite him, Polk was opposite Odunze and even Franklin had Tez Johnson who has a chance to be a day 2 type pick next year to pick up some slack.  

I am not surprised Todd McShay is describing him as a polarizing prospect. I think he will be exactly that. I think he will likely go in the first half of round 2, that is my prediction. There will be some teams that wouldn't touch him until round 3, I suspect that is right, but it only takes 1 to like him enough to go early and I think there will be. But honestly tape grade he is my WR4, I have him Franklin and Thomas basically in a muddle with late 1st and borderline 1st/2nd type grades and if Legette were to disappoint at the combine I could flip that some... I think he is a player who needs to perform well this week. He will still be in that little cluster for me but those 3 guys are close enough on tape to my eye that the testing profile will matter some to the order they end up in. 

Steve Smith calls him a Metcalf clone for what it’s worth

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't doubt they are. But that doesn't mean he's exclusively looking for that and absolutely nothing else matters.

Under 6'1", under 190 lbs, and more than 25-30% slot usage is still an eliminator IMO.

Yes, we're looking for speed and explosiveness. But we're also looking exclusively for an Outside WR2 with our top pick. Beane is always looking for athletes. But he also looks for a buffet of traits.

39 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Would be nice, but I’m not crazy about Worthy (drops, very thin) and not many beyond Thomas Jr and Franklin fit that bill around pick 28.  Tez Walker likely available at 60, but is he skilled enough to fit that bill?  Other fast guys likely will struggle out wide (Wilson, Worthy, a few others).  

Legette is certainly a possibility if he shows he is fast and quick enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

16 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Franklin is thin for his height and frame at 6'3" ~190,  but consider that he has put on 20 lbs in the last 2-3 years (170 lbs entering college) and just turned 21 a couple weeks ago. I think he still has some filling out to do. With the proper training table diet and exercise I think he could easily put on another 10-15 lbs of muscle without slowing down. 6'3" ~205 is a good size for an outside receiver.

The league is showing that size isn't as vital as it used to be look at WRs like Devonta Smith, Jordan Addison, Josh Downs and Tank Dell,  producing despite being "light weights" Sure Franklin has the size to gain but if it's for the sake of losing his speed than it might not be worth it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Malachi Corley

Exclusively a Slot WR. We have a couple of them already. We'd be putting Khalil Shakir or Dalton Kincaid on the sidelines to use him and we'd still need to replace Gabe Davis on the Outside.

37 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Ladd McConkey 

5'11", 187 lbs. Quicker than truly fast. His most successful vertical routes coming from fades from the Slot position. 

Out on him also. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Exclusively a Slot WR. We have a couple of them already. We'd be putting Khalil Shakir or Dalton Kincaid on the sidelines to use him and we'd still need to replace Gabe Davis on the Outside.

5'11", 187 lbs. Quicker than truly fast. His most successful vertical routes coming from fades from the Slot position. 

Out on him also. 

I didn’t say draft him. He’s the best rac in the draft though.

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Out on him also. 

But have you considered his name is Ladd McConkey?

Im messing around, I know he’s not the best RAC option, but I do like his game. 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn’t say draft him. He’s the best rac in the draft though.

From the limited amount I’ve seen of him (Corley) so far, a fair bit of his RAC is due to power/running through tackles instead of elusiveness and speed.  I don’t know if that will translate to the NFL level.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

From the limited amount I’ve seen of him (Corley) so far, a fair bit of his RAC is due to power/running through tackles instead of elusiveness and speed.  I don’t know if that will translate to the NFL level.

Great balance and speed translates. Also great hands. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Guys that played at least 40% of their snaps out wide this season and ranked above average in terms of both avoided tackle rate and YAC per reception (listed from highest avoided tackle rate to lowest):

• Malik Nabers (also met these thresholds in 2022)
  • Ladd McConkey (also met these thresholds in 2022)
  • Jamari Thrash (also met these thresholds in 2022)
  • Zakhari Franklin (using 2022 numbers because he barely played this season)
  • Keon Coleman
  • Xavier Worthy
  • Troy Franklin

Would also throw out that Johnny Wilson hit these thresholds in 2022 but not in 2023.

Edited by DCOrange

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Great balance and speed translates. Also great hands. 

Let’s see how fast he really is.  I’m not sure great hands applies to him - I’m not implying he has bad hands, but I haven’t seen anyone saying he has great hands, either.  Didn’t he catch a lot of screens just to get the ball into his hands? 

I am not saying that Corley is no good, but rather I don’t see him as savior of the Bills’ passing offense and a deep threat.  Of course, I could be wrong.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

But have you considered his name is Ladd McConkey?

Im messing around, I know he’s not the best RAC option, but I do like his game. 

Yep, he’s not our top priority, but when I watch him he just looks like a football player to me. That may sound stupid, but he feels smart and gritty to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Btw those referencing Corley....I've been POUNDING the drum for people on here to check him out for weeks. Jusss saying. Steve Smith LOVES him, calls him the steal of the draft. That's enough for me to be absolutely stoked if he took him. 

Not at 28 though right?

He might be an option at 60 if they go D line in the first ..as he is likely to still be there 

Edited by Aussie Joe

If this draft goes according to most draft pundits, it will be historically unprecedented based on my brief research.  

IMO, 3 QBs and 3 WRs going in the top 10 is pretty unlikely.  It’s rare when 3 QBs are taken top 10, it’s extremely rare when 3 WRs go top 10, combine them and it’s unprecedented (feel free to fact check I could be wrong).  

I’ll side with historics and say 2 QBs (Williams/Daniels) and 2 WRs (Harrison/Nabers) go top 10.

Even with a loaded WR class, I don’t think we will see the record broken for WRs taken in the 1st round (7 in 2004) but I wouldn’t rule it out.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Btw those referencing Corley....I've been POUNDING the drum for people on here to check him out for weeks. Jusss saying. Steve Smith LOVES him, calls him the steal of the draft. That's enough for me to be absolutely stoked if he took him. 

He's a TRUE Slot. He ran pretty much exclusively there. As beaming as Steve Smith was about him, even he said you're not going to turn him from what he's been in College into an Outside guy.

We are exclusively looking for an Outside WR to replace Gabe Davis this season and a guy who can develop into our #1 in the Future. 

We have Khalil Shakir and Dalton Kincaid in the Slot. As I said, taking a Slot guy would remove one of them from the field and still leave us needing to replace Gabe on the Outside.

Corley is not an option for us. If he were someone that was available on Day 3, maybe we'd take him if we double dip. But he won't be and we aren't looking at Slots on Day 1 or even Day 2.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not at 28 though right?

He might be an option at 60 if they go D line in the first ..as he is likely to still be there 

I don't even see him as an option for 60. We're not taking another Slot that high with Shakir and Kincaid in the fold and a hole on the Outside.

• Thank you (+1) 1