2024 WR Draft Class

Mel Kiper's Top 10 WR's Big Board

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/38381720/2024-nfl-draft-rankings-mel-kiper-big-board-top-prospects-position-best-players

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Rome Odunze

3. Malik Nabers

4. Brian Thomas Jr.

5. Ladd McConkey

6. Keon Coleman

7. Xavier Worthy

8. Adonai Mitchell

9. Malachi Corley

10. Xavier Legette

Troy Franklin doesn't even make his Top 10 list. Wild. McConkey is way too high for his size and (lack of) speed. Legette is too low IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/38381720/2024-nfl-draft-rankings-mel-kiper-big-board-top-prospects-position-best-players

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Rome Odunze

3. Malik Nabers

4. Brian Thomas Jr.

5. Ladd McConkey

6. Keon Coleman

7. Xavier Worthy

8. Adonai Mitchell

9. Malachi Corley

10. Xavier Legette

Troy Franklin doesn't even make his Top 10 list. Wild. McConkey is way too high for his size and (lack of) speed. Legette is too low IMO.

Odd... I guess Mel likes thicc bois over stick bois

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Rome Odunze

3. Malik Nabers

4. Brian Thomas Jr.

5. Ladd McConkey

6. Keon Coleman

7. Xavier Worthy

8. Adonai Mitchell

9. Malachi Corley

10. Xavier Legette

Hey, if that means he's there at 28 or the top of the 2nd, I will not complain

4 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Odd... I guess Mel likes thicc bois over stick bois

*nods* I guess he's down with the thicness

ooohahahah

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Rome Odunze

3. Malik Nabers

4. Brian Thomas Jr.

5. Ladd McConkey

6. Keon Coleman

7. Xavier Worthy

8. Adonai Mitchell

9. Malachi Corley

10. Xavier Legette

Yea. If the Bills want Franklin at #28 he will be there IMO. Agree McConkey way too high and Legette too low. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. If the Bills want Franklin at #28 he will be there IMO. Agree McConkey way too high and Legette too low. 

Yeah, the more I've been diving into these guys - the more I'm feeling like we can probably sit pat at 28. I've got 4 guys after the Big 3 go i'd be thrilled with. I wouldn't worry about it unless that 6th one comes off multiple picks ahead of us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Rome Odunze

3. Malik Nabers

4. Brian Thomas Jr.

5. Ladd McConkey

6. Keon Coleman

7. Xavier Worthy

8. Adonai Mitchell

9. Malachi Corley

10. Xavier Legette

I think McConkey is going to run a good 40 next week at the combine.  I don’t think he is slow.  I’m not saying he is the 5th best receiver in this class, but I think he will run better than 4.5.  I also think Worthy and Corley are listed higher than I would expect.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, I'm really high on Legette. Just passes the eye test on everything i'm looking for. Height, elite speed, muscle, good hands.

Knock on him are his age (just turned 23 a few weeks ago) and 1 year of production. I don't think the 1 year scares Beane off. He likes guys who look good and are still a work in progress. Reminds me of Rousseau and his 1 year of production.

I see him as a guy that is going to sky rocket up the Draft boards once he has his Combine and Pro Day and will be in discussion for WR4 or WR5. I don't see him escaping Round 1 and could very well be our guy.

I like Leggette quite a bit.  I think he is fast, but we’ll see what his 40 time is.  It won’t bother me if he is at 4.5, but some will think that is slow.  

Comparison to Rousseau is a good one except Rousseau (and Edmunds) were very young when they came out whereas Legette is older than typical.  Legette is yong at the position, but not in age.  

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm against doubling down in Round 2. There's too many things we need to do and not enough money to do it in FA. We need to get another Starter in Round 2, maybe even in Round 3 too before we start looking at our 4th WR. 

I think the 2022 model of what Beane did with CB is more likely. He took Elam Round 1 and then took Benford in Round 6. I'd go a little higher with our double dip at WR. But I don't expect him to go again until Round 4. Maybe a trade up from Round 4 into the bottom of Round 3 or top of Round 4 with the amount of Day 3 picks we have. 

I'm also notoriously anti-Worthy. Worthy's too small of a body and has too much slot usage. I see him as more of a gadget player you have to put all over the field. We already have two guys in Shakir and Kincaid that I always want on the field in the Slot. And as Smith said, a body catcher. What I see Beane wanting for a True Outside WR2 (that will be our #1 one day), Worthy doesn't fit that bill or check enough boxes IMO. 

Wilson is really big. But that's it. As Smith said, the guy can't chew gum and tie his shoes at the same time. Someone will take him for his size, but I'm not impressed by him either.

I like Corley, Polk, and Rice. But I don't think they'll be there by the time we want to Double down. Maybe Rice. If Corley or Polk are there by the time our 3rd rolls around, you have to really consider it. But I doubt either will be.

Isn’t Corley mostly a slot guy?  Of course, doesn’t hurt to have competition for Shakir.

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, the more I've been diving into these guys - the more I'm feeling like we can probably sit pat at 28. I've got 4 guys after the Big 3 go i'd be thrilled with. I wouldn't worry about it unless that 6th one comes off multiple picks ahead of us.

Personally, I would not rule out trading back to 33 if we can fleece the panthers and there are 3-4 guys Beane still likes. But if Franklin is there I would have a hard time saying no.

• Agree 1

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Personally, I would not rule out trading back to 33 if we can fleece the panthers and there are 3-4 guys Beane still likes. But if Franklin is there I would have a hard time saying no.

This is not a bad idea, probably would net the Bills’ the Panther’s top of fourth pick, if Carolina would do it.

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

This is not a bad idea, probably would net the Bills’ the Panther’s top of fourth pick, if Carolina would do it.

It would heavily depend on the lay of the board, but I can absolutely see Carolina getting desperate.

If not, at this point I am confident that the Bills can pick up an immediate starting #2 in the back end of the 1st, start of the 2nd. The question is whether they can get someone to groom as a Diggs successor or if they want someone to pair.

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It would heavily depend on the lay of the board, but I can absolutely see Carolina getting desperate.

If not, at this point I am confident that the Bills can pick up an immediate starting #2 in the back end of the 1st, start of the 2nd. The question is whether they can get someone to groom as a Diggs successor or if they want someone to pair.

Agree - I think finding someone who is as good as Gabe (after some experience) can be done as late as 3rd, but if they want a big outside receiver who has really great speed too, that has to come in first - if they can even get that there.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I like Leggette quite a bit.  I think he is fast, but we’ll see what his 40 time is.  It won’t bother me if he is at 4.5, but some will think that is slow.  

Comparison to Rousseau is a good one except Rousseau (and Edmunds) were very young when they came out whereas Legette is older than typical.  Legette is yong at the position, but not in age.  

I don't care either about Leggette's 40 time. If you watch him play he is quite clearly among the fastest, if not THE fastest WR in college football. It takes him a second to shift into overdrive maybe, but nobody will be catching him from behind...

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agree - I think finding someone who is as good as Gabe (after some experience) can be done as late as 3rd, but if they want a big outside receiver who has really great speed too, that has to come in first - if they can even get that there.

I honestly think that last year showed that we need an upgrade from Gabe (and stat!) and with the Brinks truck that most WR2s on the market are projected at I really think the Draft is the only place to look at the moment.

Mel's board is great for us. The 2 best fits for us (without trading up) are not even on his board- Franklin & Legette.

The fact that all the WR draft rankings are all over the place after the top-3, really speaks to the volume & depth of this draft class. This could be the best WR draft ever.

I doubt the Bills do this, but I would love to see them pull a Rousseau/Basham with say.. Franklin/Legette.  

Then spend the rest of the draft on the defense.  

Two guys who we might be able to draft lower than usual due to the depth of WR in this class.  Helps prepare us for life after Diggs and/or allows us to play Diggs more in the slot with having two talented outside WR's fighting for playing time. 

We know this Offense can hum with 4 legit WR's.  Factor in Kincaid, Knox, Cook and our OL and we could be set for multiple years - at an extremely high level - on that side of the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

I've seen some other draft nerds not like Troy Franklin either.  

Lots can change (in public draft rankings) at the Combine next week.  I imagine that some receivers will run/jump better than expected and some will lose status to poorer workouts than projected).  Coleman and Mitchell assessment can change a lot depending on their testing.  Likewise, Franklin could move up or down depending on his strength and weight.

• Like (+1) 1

Help me out with McConkey. I watched a lot of Georgia the last few years. I'm no expert of course but to me but he looked like a smallish, not overly fast guy, a mid round pick that might be a nice slot option. I don't get it.

Edited by JMM
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Had a dream last night that Harrison fell to the 11th pick and the Bills traded up to 11 but drafted a defensive end instead. One of the worst nightmares I've had.

You know, I don’t want to revisit the Watkins/Mack scenario but the fact Mack is still performing at a high level to this day whilst we’ve still got questions at the defensive line and WR years later is an absolute slap in the face. If that happened again I don’t know what to tell you… Nightmare indeed. 

Mack and Watkins were elite in college. There isn’t really a guy of Mack’s caliber this year. If you pass on MHJ for a defensive player then you don’t deserve Josh.