2024 WR Draft Class

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Because like I said, the Combine records are littered with Track stars that didn't translate to the next level.

I want to see that he can do things at the same level where it counts compared to everyone else. 

If he were to drop a ball or wasn't the best gauntlet of the bunch, not the end of the world. It's not going to drop him. Just show you can do the drills at a solid level.

Straight line speed is great. But I want to see he's a complete WR and a guy with competitiveness. If you're good at it, you should have no reason not to do it. It would raise him even more if he did.

On one hand, I get it from an Agent standpoint. He still has his Pro Day to show these things. But that's a completely controlled environment and lacks the comparison to the rest of the class.

Just disappointing to see.

If I was his agent I'd pull him immediately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Because like I said, the Combine records are littered with Track stars that didn't translate to the next level.

I want to see that he can do things at the same level where it counts compared to everyone else. 

If he were to drop a ball or wasn't the best gauntlet of the bunch, not the end of the world. It's not going to drop him. Just show you can do the drills at a solid level.

Straight line speed is great. But I want to see he's a complete WR and a guy with competitiveness. If you're good at it, you should have no reason not to do it. It would raise him even more if he did.

On one hand, I get it from an Agent standpoint. He still has his Pro Day to show these things. But that's a completely controlled environment and lacks the comparison to the rest of the class.

Just disappointing to see.

I don't think it really matters.  If he runs a 4.21,  it's a good bet that he's going to run the other drills reasonably well.  And there's also the game film and productivity.  In terms of athleticism,  the only real question was whether or not the rumored downfield speed was real.  And now we know that it is. 

The only real concern I have with him is that he's 165lbs and it IS a pretty significant one. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Agreed,  and it's highly unlikely that a guy who posts a time like that is going to fall on his face in the other agility drills.  Maybe he doesn't post the best times of the group,  but they're almost certain to be good.  There's not much else he's going to gain from it,  either,  and there's always the risk of a freak injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't think it really matters.  If he runs a 4.21,  it's a good bet that he's going to run the other drills reasonably well.  And there's also the game film and productivity.  In terms of athleticism,  the only real question was whether or not the rumored downfield speed was real.  And now we know that it is. 

The only real concern I have with him is that he's 165lbs and it IS a pretty significant one. 

His weight doesn’t matter. Andy Reid is probably seeing DeSean Jackson all over again. I think he goes to the Chiefs. They already have their X in Rice.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I get it. Especially from an agent standpoint, as I mentioned.

Doesn't make it any less disappointing to not see how he compares to the other guys in the class in a shared environment.

I understand it, but you still want to see it. I'm sure GM's are probably the same way. Expected him to be shut down, but would have rather seen a whole show.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

His weight doesn’t matter. Andy Reid is probably seeing DeSean Jackson all over again. I think he goes to the Chiefs. They already have their X in Rice.

I'd consider it an injury red flag,  but I'm not sure it would scare me away at 28.  Just get a damn playmaker.  If they want a more traditional #2 WR,  they can follow up in R2 or 3. 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

*whispers…..waiting until 3/17 when his bonus kicks in to see if we can package Diggs and a few picks for another 1st*

🫢😆

I really want 2 of these guys 

He's not going anywhere. Beane volunteered without asking yesterday that "I know everyone (in the media) worries about Stef Diggs but he's going to be here and we're happy to have him and are hopefully going to add weapons to him"

3 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Xavier Worthy WR from Texas set the combine record in the 40 at 4.21

Thanks for the update!

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My dude, I think you're really setting yourself up for disappointment with the non-stop 28 AND 60 posts.

We usually fill 2 starting holes in Round 1 and Round 2. And with the amount of money we don't have this year and the amount of holes we have, it's more likely than ever this year.

Between Diggs, Round 1 WR, Kincaid, Shakir, and Knox - the next WR we take is looking at theoretically at best - 5th in targets and reps. The kind of reps that player would have isn't something you spend a 2nd on.

Meanwhile the odds that we'll need a Starter at another position like DE, DT, S or at least a DE or DT that would be 3rd in rotation who would be seeing the field FAR more is almost a given.

I do think we'll double down later. But if you're going to get upset if we only take 1 at 28 - probably best to prepare yourself for that now.

Starter at 28, succession planning at #60

2 minutes ago, julian said:

Identify a WR you believe will make a difference year one and eventually replace Diggs and trade up to get him.

I believe this is what will happen.

Most WR who produce year one are helped by playing time/snap counts. Case in point Nuka and Addison last year benefitted from injuries to Kupp and Jefferson respectively. Flowers wasn't competing with many others with Andrews down etc. If we can get a rookie that can get 40-50 catches and 500-600 yards and 4-5 TDs with a healthy Diggs and Kincaid then we had a good pick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ian Rapport just said he talked to an exec who said that they think Xavier Worthy could be the 4th WR off the board after his run.

In that scenario, it could push Brian Thomas Jr. to within striking range for us as WR5 - which would be huge!

If this is true, which it could be a lie to get Thomas Jr to fall a little bit, I do not believe Thomas still makes it close to 28 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Starter at 28, succession planning at #60

We have other holes besides WR, double backing in Round 1 and 2 foolish. I'm okay going Round 1 or 2 and then Round 5 or 6 or 7 for another guy. Yet it looks like we'll have holes at DE,DT, S that need to look at early picks too.

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

If this is true, which it could be a lie to get Thomas Jr to fall a little bit, I do not believe Thomas still makes it close to 28 

Thomas, Mitchell and Legette could be in the mix at 28 we should consider pending what happens in UFA. 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

If you look at the teams between when the top 3 go off the board and where we're picking - there's not a lot of teams you can see logically going WR.

I'm not saying Thomas is going to be pushed to 28 specifically. I am saying that if he does go from 4th WR off the board to 5th - that he comes within striking distance of a smaller Trade Up now.

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

If you look at the teams between when the top 3 go off the board and where we're picking - there's not a lot of teams you can see logically going WR.

I'm not saying Thomas is going to be pushed to 28 specifically. I am saying that if he does go from 4th WR off the board to 5th - that he comes within striking distance of a smaller Trade Up now.

At what cost? Is Thomas vs an Adori Mitchell and say a DT Jordan Jefferson? As to me the two worth more than the one as to move up to get Thomas likely cost us our 4th.  

1 hour ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

And Rashee Rice last year 

Rice was taken in the second round and there was no guarantee the Bills would have drafted a WR in the second round after grabbing Kincaid in the 1st.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, jkeerie said:

Rice was taken in the second round and there was no guarantee the Bills would have drafted a WR in the second round after grabbing Kincaid in the 1st.

Rices stats another example of product of no other great WRs around him. Yes, he's a talent but doubt he produces similar numbers if asked to be a number 2 here vs being a pseudo 1 in KC.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There’s at least 6 I can think of before us: 

Giants, Tennessee, Chicago, Jags, Bucs and Cardinals. 

With the way these guys performed today it’s a strong possibility that many are gone come 28. 

Throw in the Bengals who could choose to add another guy for the future giving the Higgins/Boyd situations. Broncos are a possibility too as are Dallas and Houston. 

• Agree 1

Bills need to get this Worthy guy. I don't care if he's only a decoy. Run as fast as you can down the field and Josh launch it 75 yards to him the first play of every game just to keep the defense honest! Plus he returns punts. Seems like the ideal #2 guy and he was expected to be there end of round 1 but now who knows 

19 minutes ago, BBFL said:

With the way these guys performed today it’s a strong possibility that many are gone come 28. 

Throw in the Bengals who could choose to add another guy for the future giving the Higgins/Boyd situations. Broncos are a possibility too as are Dallas and Houston. 

Cardinals and Giants will take two of the top 3 guys. The Bucs will either retain Evans which will remove them from the conversation as the cost will be so great, they'll need to use their 1st on another position. If they don't retain him, he'll go to another team which will remove them from the conversation.

Cincinnati just Franchised Higgins. There's no way they're going to pay him, pay Chase, AND Draft a WR in Round 1 with the holes they have to fill. Houston has Nico Collins and Tank Dell, as well as finally being able to get Metchie back and ready to roll. They aren't going with another young WR.

Here's a solid post @GunnerBill made on this situation:

So here is where I am.... once you get out of the top 10 I am not sure how many receiver landing spots there are. 

Vikings at 11? Obviously not. Jefferson and Addison.

Broncos at 12? Put the house on a QB.

Vegas at 13? Too many other needs and have Devonte.

Saints at 14? Too many other needs.

Colts at 15? Possible. But Pittman on the tag lessens the chance.

Seattle at 16? No chance. DK, Lockett and JSN.

Jacksonville at 17? Yes. First receiver spot outside the top 10 for me.

Cincy at 18? Not with Higgins tagged, no.

LA at 19? Nope. Kupp and Nacua.

Steelers at 20? Nope. Pickens and Johnson.

Dolphins at 21? Nope. Waddle and Hill.

Eagles at 22? Very outside chance if they are trading AJ Brown. Otherwise, no.

Texans at 23? Possible. Think they more likely go vet route though and use this pick on defense.

Cowboys at 24? Yes. They could go OL but I think they are in the WR market. 

Pack at 25? Nope. They have a nice young bunch.

Tampa at 26? Possible if Evans walks. No chance if he doesn't.

Cardinals at 27? Almost certainly taken a WR in the top 10 so no.

As great as the WR's looked, there's teams who's needs are far greater at QB, OT, DE, DT, and CB and a large number of extremely talented players at those positions as well. There's guys like Mike Evans who teams are going to sign in FA.

Many mock Drafts had us as the spot for the 4th WR off the board. Mostly all had us as the spot for at least the 5th WR.

Maybe we have to move up a little bit for the 5th. But I don't think it's a scenario that's impossible. Worst case scenario? We have to "settle" for an Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Legette.

Long story short, if Xavier Worthy has pushed his way up to WR4 - it's a really good thing for us.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Cardinals and Giants will take two of the top 3 guys. The Bucs will either retain Evans which will remove them from the conversation as the cost will be so great, they'll need to use their 1st on another position. If they don't retain him, he'll go to another team which will remove them from the conversation.

Cincinnati just Franchised Higgins. There's no way they're going to pay him, pay Chase, AND Draft a WR in Round 1 with the holes they have to fill. Houston has Nico Collins and Tank Dell, as well as finally being able to get Metchie back and ready to roll. They aren't going with another young WR.

Here's a solid post @GunnerBill made on this situation:

As great as the WR's looked, there's teams who's needs are far greater at QB, OT, DE, DT, and CB and a large number of extremely talented players at those positions as well. There's guys like Mike Evans who teams are going to sign in FA.

Many mock Drafts had us as the spot for the 4th WR off the board. Mostly all had us as the spot for at least the 5th WR.

Maybe we have to move up a little bit for the 5th. But I don't think it's a scenario that's impossible. Worst case scenario? We have to "settle" for an Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Legette.

Long story short, if Xavier Worthy has pushed his way up to WR4 - it's a really good thing for us.

Pretty much on par with where I was… Curious why you feel that because I don’t see how there is “no way” when Higgins is tagged. There is no way they can pay Higgins again on a decent contract/tag him AND pay Chase. That is precisely why you draft a guy who’s got the chance to fill the void next year. We obviously see that part very differently.

Edited by BBFL

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

At what cost? Is Thomas vs an Adori Mitchell and say a DT Jordan Jefferson? As to me the two worth more than the one as to move up to get Thomas likely cost us our 4th.  

I think it’ll cost us our 3rd or even 2nd. I think he’s top 20

54 minutes ago, BBFL said:

This.  

Premium position.  I think our only hope of a guy like Thomas slipping to us is that this draft is loaded with 1st rd OT prospects.  The more OTs that go, the better.  Along with your 6 team list, I’d consider Dallas and Houston as strong suitors for WRs.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This.  

Premium position.  I think our only hope of a guy like Thomas slipping to us is that this draft is loaded with 1st rd OT prospects.  The more OTs that go, the better.  Along with your 6 team list, I’d consider Dallas and Houston as strong suitors for WRs.  

Agreed. Those last two you mentioned are my thought of some of the first 6 decide to go a different route. Either way it’s a strong possibility that 6 are gone. Mocks aren’t the be-all end-all but there was 5 or 6 in the 32 picks in most pre-combine. 

Let’s hope that wall isn’t hit before 28 🤞

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

Agreed. Those last two you mentioned are my thought of some of the first 6 decide to go a different route. Either way it’s a strong possibility that 6 are gone. Mocks aren’t the be-all end-all but there was 5 or 6 in the 32 picks in most pre-combine. 

Let’s hope that wall isn’t hit before 28 🤞

If they start falling off the board the way some of you fellas are doom predicting, Beane is going to move up. He won't wait at #28. And frankly, I think he needs to watch his back, because those thieving Chiefs are known perpetrators of no good draft jumping mischief.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Pretty much on par with where I was… Curious why you feel that because I don’t see how there is “no way” when Higgins is tagged. There is no way they can pay Higgins again on a decent contract/tag him AND pay Chase. That is precisely why you draft a guy who’s got the chance to fill the void next year. We obviously see that part very differently.

Yeah, you easily can. Chase when extended will stay on his Rookie number for two more years. Big money will come later in the contract with bonus money up front. Cinci's cap situation is the following for the next 3 seasons:

2024 - 52m under the cap (including the 21.8 tag on Higgins already on the books, that will get lowered)

2025 - 155.5m under the cap

2026 - 354m under the cap

You pay Higgins big up front and Chase bigger after his Rookie deal. They're in great shape financially and having two #1 WR's to pair with Burrow is as monumental to their success in previous years than anything else on the team. 

They have the money to keep them both and still build a team around them and that's what they're doing. That's why they Franchised Higgins.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

If they start falling off the board the way some of you fellas are doom predicting, Beane is going to move up. He won't wait at #28. And frankly, I think he needs to watch his back, because those thieving Chiefs are known perpetrators of no good draft jumping mischief.

I think we should expect a small move up.  They've done it the last couple of years now.  And if going WR you have to think after 4 go and the draft gets into the 20s the FO will get nervous - and rightfully so.  And as you mention the possibility of KC moving up (or Carolina) needs to be considered.

• Agree 1