2024 WR Draft Class

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah the unwritten playoff rules have affected Diggs in particular more than anyone. He has never been a physical WR so when CBs are allowed to grab him his skill set is nullified somewhat. But that's life in the playoffs. Every defense is allowed to get away with it just like every offensive line can get away with manslaughter. And this is why I like Coleman actually. Go ahead and put your hands on him. He'll bully his way right through you.

I don't think it's great for the board, you and Gunner agreeing so much. Do you prefer Coleman or Legette at #28? I'll hang up and listen.

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

We see nothing but zone coverage against the Bills already we don't see a lot of teams play man coverage against us. We are at pick # 28. If you think you are getting a sure thing elite speed guy who can do everything you desire you better be ready to watch Beane trade up in April.

@HappyDays has told me that we faced one of the higher percentages of man defense in the NFL in 2023, and while he can be wrong, he wouldn’t lie.

16 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I noticed that too. Was wondering if that was for Beane to get another peek 🫣 

When I heard them talking about RAC in their Combine interviews, Legette immediately came to mind. B-)

I really can't get over Mitchell's combine. I don't know what to make of it. A guy that explosive with his size and route running ability should have been dominating college competition and instead he's near the bottom of the entire draft class in a lot of the production metrics. I just revisited his film for a third time a couple days ago and now I'm wondering if I have to do it again lol. I just don't get it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't think it's great for the board, you and Gunner agreeing so much. Do you prefer Coleman or Legette at #28? I'll hang up and listen.

The only thing I have disagreed with Gunner on is McDermott, but I'm not going to spend the whole offseason whining about him. In fact I would tell anyone to trust Gunner's scouting evaluations over mine, I am certain he has done much more work on these players than I have. This time of year what I am looking at is traits and how they won in college with just enough film watching to feel comfortable that I know the profile of the player. I'm no scout. Other people can highlight the technical details of these prospects much better than I can. I just know what wins in the NFL and more specifically what our offense is missing and what would mesh well with Josh Allen's skill set.

To your question, Coleman for me. I like Legette's profile, I am just scared away by his age and being a one year wonder.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Hahaha. You might not believe it but @HappyDays is on my list of posters that I always read. I respect all of his views and I believe that he is totally sincere in all of them. I don't always agree but I think he understands football and has considered views whether right or wrong :)

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I like Legette's profile, I am just scared away by his age and being a one year wonder.

And I totally agree those are red flags. The history of guys who have 1 year of production at that age is not good. I just can't get away from loving his tape. It was love at first evaluation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, wppete said:

Xavier Legette is the guy if he is there at #28 id take him over Franklin or Ad Mitchell. 

He's going to force a ton of business decisions in the secondary... B-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Hahaha. You might not believe it but @HappyDays is on my list of posters that I always read. I respect all of his views and I believe that he is totally sincere in all of them. I don't always agree but I think he understands football and has considered views whether right or wrong :)

No, I was mainly just joking. Both of you are must read for me, and I'm sure you both know a lot more about football than I do. I've just been watching since I was a lad, and now I'm pretty old, so I figure that counts for something.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I feel like this tracking is new this year (or at least new to the public) so I'm not sure what exactly to make of it, but it's certainly interesting.

People have to remember that Kupp ran a 4.62 and Nacua ran a 4.57 and Anquan Boldin ran 4.71. Guys can win in the the NFL running in the 4'6's especially ones who are near 6'4.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I see KC trading up ahead of us to grab a WR we want / need.  They already did this with CB.

Bills will trade up and get their guy just so KC doesnt pull that ***** again

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills will trade up and get their guy just so KC doesnt pull that ***** again

If the Bills really like one of the WR’s and they are around somewhere in the low 20’s then I could see that as well.

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

I think he could do damn well at outside for us. I dont get how a 6'0 guy keeps getting figured for a slot WR

Because he’s white.   Most white receivers are slot guys.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I think he could do damn well at outside for us. I dont get how a 6'0 guy keeps getting figured for a slot WR

I'm with you here but the masses wont allow it on this board. It would be pitchforks if Beane drafted him.

Just now, Magox said:

Because he’s white.   Most white receivers are slot guys.

I'm glad you said it and not me. Its the old white WR's win with smarts not athleticism.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Magox said:

For those saying McConkey is just a slot WR kind of guy.

29 minutes ago, JMM said:

Thank you, I was just going to post asking where did McConkey play in college.  Hmm, could be our pick and prevent him from going to KC..🤔

That's still less than 3/4 of the time on the Outside in the College level.

There are guys who are thought of as Outside guys that have to switch to the Slot at the Pro Level.

At 5'11 with a 36" vertical, 185 pounds soaking wet, and less than 75% usage on the Outside at the College level - it's *at best* a projection to say you can stick him on the boundary 90% or more in the NFL and that it's going to work out best for him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

People have to remember that Kupp ran a 4.62 and Nacua ran a 4.57 and Anquan Boldin ran 4.71. Guys can win in the the NFL running in the 4'6's especially ones who are near 6'4.

100% true... But that's also why Boldin went 54 overall, Kupp went 69, and Nacua went 177... B-)

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, JMM said:

Thank you, I was just going to post asking where did McConkey play in college.  Hmm, could be our pick and prevent him from going to KC..🤔

Daniel Jerimiah said "dont let this kid go to KC" today I believe. Last year he said "Dont let Kincaid go to Buffalo".  Humm.....

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I really can't get over Mitchell's combine. I don't know what to make of it. A guy that explosive with his size and route running ability should have been dominating college competition and instead he's near the bottom of the entire draft class in a lot of the production metrics. I just revisited his film for a third time a couple days ago and now I'm wondering if I have to do it again lol. I just don't get it.

I think because he missed a ton of games. But he also had tons of clutch TD's in big games, including the national championship winner. 

• Like (+1) 1

Has anyone dismissing McConky as an X receiver considered that, aside from being a great WR prospect in general, his future could be as a replacement for a fading Diggs?

As Cosell pointed out in the video posted in this thread, Diggs is no longer a #1 WR. And we're aware of certain behind-the-scenes possibilities in the locker room that may affect his future here - along with his cap numbers. The Bills are not simply faced with replacing Gabe Davis. They have to up the game of the entire WR room.

For this reason, I would not rule out a McConkey selected at #28 if Beane thinks he is the best WR. The only surefire big-bodied studs in this rich WR class are MHj and Odenze - and out of our reach. With the uncertainty around Diggs' performance and contract, we need to add talent, not a height /weight profile.

For example, Orange asked a great question up-thread. Why isn't AD Mitchels tape more impressive? Take the best WR, period. Come back on Day 3 and select the trait guys to fill out the roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's still less than 3/4 of the time on the Outside in the College level.

There are guys who are thought of as Outside guys that have to switch to the Slot at the Pro Level.

At 5'11 with a 36" vertical, 185 pounds soaking wet, and less than 75% usage on the Outside at the College level - it's *at best* a projection to say you can stick him on the boundary 90% or more in the NFL and that it's going to work out best for him.

He was 75% out wide two seasons ago and 79% this past season. He lined up out wide more often than Keon Coleman, Xavier Legette, Malik Nabers, and several other guys that nobody is questioning as a wideout.

I do think taking his physical traits into account, it's not as clear that he can play outside as some of these other guys, but to pretend 75+% out wide isn't a high number is simply not true.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, alg said:

Has anyone dismissing McConky as an X receiver considered that, aside from being a great WR prospect in general, his future could be as a replacement for a fading Diggs?

As Cosell pointed out in the video posted in this thread, Diggs is no longer a #1 WR. And we're aware of certain behind-the-scenes possibilities in the locker room that may affect his future here - along with his cap numbers. The Bills are not simply faced with replacing Gabe Davis. They have to up the game of the entire WR room.

For this reason, I would not rule out a McConkey selected at #28 if Beane thinks he is the best WR. The only surefire big-bodied studs in this rich WR class are MHj and Odenze - and out of our reach. With the uncertainty around Diggs' performance and contract, we need to add talent, not a height /weight profile.

For example, Orange asked a great question up-thread. Why isn't AD Mitchels tape more impressive? Take the best WR, period. Come back on Day 3 and select the trait guys to fill out the roster.

People crapped all over me when I touted Kincaid and mock drafted him to the Bills before the draft last year saying no chance in hell the Bills take Kincaid with Knox on the roster etc etc.

If McConkey is the best WR on the board at 28 which I think is a very strong possibility I have zero hesitation to mock him to the Bills at 28.

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I think because he missed a ton of games. But he also had tons of clutch TD's in big games, including the national championship winner. 

The only WRs in this year's class to run more routes this season were Rome Odunze and Ja'Lynn Polk. It's certainly not a lack of playing time. He just wasn't very productive. This doesn't just apply to him by the way; the same goes for Coleman, but Coleman isn't as nuanced a route runner or apparently as explosive an athlete as Mitchell is.

Edited by DCOrange

25 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

100% true... But that's also why Boldin went 54 overall, Kupp went 69, and Nacua went 177... B-)

There are also a whole lot more that ran in the 4.6s and never did anything.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The only WRs in this year's class to run more routes this season were Rome Odunze and Ja'Lynn Polk. It's certainly not a lack of playing time. He just wasn't very productive. This doesn't just apply to him by the way; the same goes for Coleman, but Coleman isn't as nuanced a route runner or apparently as explosive an athlete as Mitchell is.

I thought you were referring to his total production... I also wonder if the amount of routes run is off for him, because as a team Texas threw fewer passes than you have him down for routes run?

5 minutes ago, alg said:

Ahh, Beane likes traits. I think he wants a big X. Mitchell, Legette, Thomas, and Coleman check that box. To repeat what I wrote earlier, Greg Cosell is one of the most astute football minds. I think he's especially good on WR. He watched the same tape, and came away very impressed with Mitchell. Legette is going to be good, imo.  I'm not one of those who would be super angry if they took McConkey, because he's right at the top of my list for folks I like in this draft. I don't think it would be the right move, but that's because I think we need to prioritize a different kind of receiver. All the same, in truth, if McConkey ends up on the Bills, I'm buying his jersey.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I thought you were referring to his total production... I also wonder if the amount of routes run is off for him, because as a team Texas threw fewer passes than you have him down for routes run?

That's because some of the routes resulted in sacks or scrambles.

• Like (+1) 1