So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

We need an offensive minded HC to field an above average defense. Yes, you read that right.

We need a new DC with a new scheme to get over the hump. McD’s is broken and he won’t change it. It’s the only way.

Edited by Governor

So it's McD's fault that he lost 2 all-pros on Defense for the season and D Jones for most of the season.  It's also McD's fault that Bass missed kicks he has made easily the last few years and most of this year.  It's also McD's fault that we lost 4 key D players against Miami and then another 3 key D against Pittsburgh.

Honestly, McD did a great job with a patchwork D even getting us this far.

The real issue was the offense and that is on Beane.  We lacked quality WRs all year and our franchise QB turned the ball over more than he ever has.  

If Josh plays well earlier in the year, the Bills are probably the 1 seed this year and it's a very different season.  Even in this game bad Josh showed up and tried to force it down the field when a shorter pass for a 1st down would have done the job.   Yes, Shefield and Diggs should have caught those balls, but that is who those two players were this season.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Governor said:

We need an offensive minded HC to field an above average defense. Yes, you read that right.

We need a new DC with a new scheme to get over the hump. McD’s is broken and he won’t change it. It’s the only way.

100% 

We need a guy who can lock in with Josh on offense and keep things steady

AND

We need a big change in defense.

But I suspect it happens after next year so they can sell PSL's to the new stadium

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes McDermott made Bass 25% in the playoffs.   Think about that 25% has a kicker ever had a worse playoffs?

And still it's McDermott...God people.

He sure trusted that 25% chance kicker with the season and that's also very telling in another way....kc would have had 2 timeouts and 1:40 something on the clock....we would have lost when kc kicked a fg with 13s left ....the failure to learn from your mistakes seems to not apply for McDermott..that last drive was it!...it was the drive to eat every bit of clock and above all else score to win the game and never give the ball back to kc

No, the Bills won't fire McDermott. But they should. We, as fans, simply cannot do this anymore. But Pegula doesn't see it that way and his opinion is all that matters. He has different motivations. But I'm done. I'm back to drought-era levels of not caring because these guys cannot win.

McD’s defense was ravaged with injuries so i’m not going to bash him too much there.

That fake punt though…

Love the aggressiveness, but I would have rather had Allen on the field running a 4th down offense.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

So it's McD's fault that he lost 2 all-pros on Defense for the season and D Jones for most of the season.  It's also McD's fault that Bass missed kicks he has made easily the last few years and most of this year.  It's also McD's fault that we lost 4 key D players against Miami and then another 3 key D against Pittsburgh.

The real issue was the offense and that is on Beane.  We lacked quality WRs all year and our franchise QB turned the ball over more than he ever has.  

If Josh plays well earlier in the year, the Bills are probably the 1 seed this year and it's a very different season.  

Wouldn't have mattered, McDummie would still have found a way to lose. Fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Enough with excuses

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

If Josh plays well earlier in the year, the Bills are probably the 1 seed this year and it's a very different season.  

It's McDs fault that the team he runs continuously loses the biggest games despite their best player putting on winning performances.

It's years of not being able to get over the hump

Yeah people were hurt. And that makes it almost worse because now he's got another excuse to sell Pegula.

We were the 2 seed. That should be enough. Josh still played his best football when it mattered most

But McDrmott always coaches his worst games when it matters most.

Josh = clutch

McD = choker

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes McDermott made Bass 25% in the playoffs.   Think about that 25% has a kicker ever had a worse playoffs?

Greg Joseph?

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

No, the Bills won't fire McDermott. But they should. We, as fans, simply cannot do this anymore. But Pegula doesn't see it that way and his opinion is all that matters. He has different motivations. But I'm done. I'm back to drought-era levels of not caring because these guys cannot win.

Pegula could care less.
Just the same endless bull#### year after year! 
Wishing a winner bought the team 

I really don’t know what more McDermott can do to beat this team I really don’t. This game had to be won up front and the defensive line once again failed to make Mahomes uncomfortable. No sacks. Only 2 QB hits. With the injuries to the LB’s and in the secondary we were already at a disadvantage. 

3 times vs. Mahomes

Once vs. Burrow

Whenever we play the elite QB’s our front can never get home. EVER 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bernard was out… as was Benford… you’re telling me you can only force one punt because those two guys were out? Sorry I’m not buying it. This is the 4th time in a season ending game his defense was whipped.

Bernard and Benford… and Rasul was clearly not 100%. Dodson was playing 2 weeks after tearing his shoulder and got hurt again early in the game. Jordan Phillips also out, as well as Milano and Tre White.

Thats… a lot.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Bernard was out… as was Benford… you’re telling me you can only force one punt because those two guys were out? Sorry I’m not buying it. This is the 4th time in a season ending game his defense was whipped.

Douglas clearly wasn’t healthy and the D line got no pressure up the middle.  

Cap money that was either out tonight or playing injured (Douglas and Miller)

White

Milano 

Benford

Bernard

Rapp 

Davis 

Not right - Von, Dodson, Douglas, Jones.  

Why wasn’t Elam running around with MVS?

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No Milano was out, Tra White was out, Benford and Benard were out, Douglas was clearly not 100%, Taron Johnson was also injured.  Heck, we were starting AJ Klein against Kelce.  Do I think if the Bills D was mostly healthy would we have won this game? Absolutely and easily!

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

McD’s defense was ravaged with injuries so i’m not going to bash him too much there.

That fake punt though…

Love the aggressiveness, but I would have rather had Allen on the field running a 4th down offense.

McDs D gets all the resources and always falls on its face in the playoffs. Injuries happen but tonight’s D never even looked competitive. One stop, one lucky bounce that went their way. Total ***** letdown. 

Midway through the season when the whole team looked to be a disaster where’d the resources go at trade deadline? Douglas and Joseph. We could have used a WR that could catch the ***** ball as well. We know this because it was a major concern heading into last offseason and they decided to do patch work with Sherfield and Harty. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Thos git has had one of the best QBs in the league and has sniffed 1 championship game, a game in which they were blew out.  How many fuccking years so you want to see Josh Allen lose?  Get rid of the ***** defensive coach who drafts defense 3:1 to offense

• Like (+1) 1

We won’t fire him. But I think McD is a good but not great coach. He folds under the pressure. We could not stop kc and I don’t blame the injuries. They did whatever they wanted and McD had no answer. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

No Milano was out, Tra White was out, Benford and Benard were out, Douglas was clearly not 100%, Taron Johnson was also injured.  Heck, we were starting AJ Klein against Kelce.  Do I think if the Bills D was mostly healthy would we have won this game? Absolutely and easily!

All teams have injuries. The Chiefs will win the SB again this year and then fix their skill position problem. This was the narrow window. 

1 minute ago, Budkin said:

No. We’re not. We were dead in the water at 6-6 and turned the whole thing around. 

Who cares. I would rather have the draft pick.

1 minute ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I really don’t know what more McDermott can do to beat this team I really don’t. This game had to be won up front and the defensive line once again failed to make Mahomes uncomfortable. No sacks. Only 2 QB hits. With the injuries to the LB’s and in the secondary we were already at a disadvantage. 

3 times vs. Mahomes

Once vs. Burrow

Whenever we play the elite QB’s our front can never get home. EVER 

Well he's the D coordinator and HC, so I don't have to spend much time wondering what he could do more.

I'm more concerned with what somebody else could do to coach this team to beat KC and Cincy in the playoffs

I don't think I'm really in either camp at this point. I think McDermott is a good coach and did a good job this year, especially down the stretch when the defense returned to playing amazing football despite being severely depleted. This season could have so easily spiraled out of control and we ended up recovering beautifully instead. Don't really think tonight's loss is on him either; the main strategic thing that I hated is something that 99% of coaches do in that situation: milking the clock while we were losing and there was plenty of time left. I don't even really like milking the clock when we're losing under 2 minutes, but doing it with 5-7 minutes left in the game is just one of those dumb football things IMO that everyone does without really thinking about it. Any mistake (and we are a team that makes a lot of costly ones) ensures we lose the game with no real chance of getting the ball back, while scoring after milking the clock like that likely gives KC enough time to go down the field anyways.

On the other hand, I don't think any QB-coach combo has ever gone this long without a Super Bowl and then gone on to break through together. McDermott has had plenty of chances at this point to get us over the hump and it just hasn't happened. I would totally understand if we decide to move on and try bringing a new voice in.

TLDR: I don't think he's done anything this season to deserve being fired, but at the same time, sometimes you just have to change things and hope for the best when you come up short every year.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yea as the Chiefs lost Edwards and Gay for the game… you can’t expect everyone to stay healthy. It’s insane and I just don’t buy it man. The defense has looked piss poor in every playoff exit since McDs tenure. 

Thank you!  Why should he get a pass when his defense sucks every single playoff exit?  This is his thing!  F no, at this point he is the main problem.  Nothing will change if we don't make a move.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Let's be honest. If Bass hits that FG, the Chiefs are kicking a walk off FG of their own a few minutes later. If Allen hits that TD to Shakir, Chiefs are scoring a walk off TD. Every Bills fan knows deep down how the game was going to end one way or the other.

• Agree 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Let's be honest. If Bass hits that FG, the Chiefs are kicking a walk off FG of their own a few minutes later. If Allen hits that TD to Shakir, Chiefs are scoring a walk off TD. Every Bills fan knows deep down how the game was going to end one way or the other.

No way we were stopping them. They barely even needed 3rd downs. The literally marched down the field all game. Could have had no d out there. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I hear you.  If we had a strong owner, I might agree that a change is imperative.  I do not trust Pegula to make a good decision.  Again, look at the Sabres for proof.

I can not argue that point, I have no clue on the Sabres.  But the Bills need a change, I cant think of a better one than the coaching staff

Just now, ngbills said:

No way we were stopping them. They barely even needed 3rd downs. The literally marched down the field all game. Could have had no d out there. 

It was the worst defense I’ve seen in a very long time.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m willing to go one more year. The injuries this year were murderous. Get healthy, draft two WR’s and you get one more year. 

You’re not going to stay healthy with undersized LB’s and older players on D.  Wash rinse repeat.

Edited by PayDaBill$

Unfortunately he will not be fired. He made a great late season run and won the division. I think he's a good coach and a great D coordinator but some times a team just needs something new and some juice to get them over the hump. I think its time, I'd argue we have consistantly seen the ceiling of the bills with mcD. It's good but not championship quality. He brought winning football to buffalo again, we have to be thankful for that but I don't think mcD has the IT factor.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.